TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:28:56 Reply

I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
melanko
melanko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:39:01 Reply

I think thats a good idea, I usually never use anything but thsoe 2 buttons, cuase to me, a movie either kix ass or it doesn't.

Manga-Mix
Manga-Mix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:39:17 Reply

I think it's a great idea!! I've noticed most users ingore 1-4 too!!!

Infernus
Infernus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:42:13 Reply

I think it's a really good idea but i think there should be a middle. Like good neutral and bad.

vudu
vudu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:42:48 Reply

Fuck yeah Tom. I'm tired of my computer fucking up or lagging whenever I vote on something. It would be a lot easier to just have a 50/50 choice. Has anyone else noticed that at some periods of time you can't even log in What's up with that? And even if you are able to make it to a portal movie or whatever, you can't even vote cuz it says its fucked up! Anyways, enough of my complaining. I give your idea a BIG thums up Tom.

Sincerely,
Your devoted leader to all things Anti,
VuDu

New Voting System?

Gothyo
Gothyo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:42:53 Reply

Well itd be cool for the up or down thing but why dont you keep the normal thing the same. Im talking about the decimals. NO PERCENTAGE.

Razoric
Razoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:44:59 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:39 AM, Manga_Mix wrote: I think it's a great idea!! I've noticed most users ingore 1-4 too!!!

I think more people use those than you think (in the beginning anyway) But when a cartoon gets over say 6000 votes, then a 1,2,3,4 dont make a damn bit of difference.

My problem with the all or nothing scheme is... what if you see a cartoon, it kinda sucks, but you kinda like it. I usually give them 2s or 3s. Now what am I supposed to do? Give it a thumbs up eventhough it doesnt really deserve it or give it a thumbs down eventhough i kinda liked it and it made me laugh.

I think an all-or-nothing vote isnt the best idea... in theory it is but I think 1,2,3,4 are used more in te beginning of a cartoon's lifecycle and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to take away.

Razoric.com - Independent Game Developer

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Programmer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:50:28 Reply

the yes or no is a great Idea... although I do agree there should be a "I don't really give a crap" button for mediocre movies. While you're at it you need to let us users pick what our favorite portal entries are in our bios!

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Razoric
Razoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 01:55:18 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:50 AM, Psycho_Goldfish wrote: the yes or no is a great Idea... although I do agree there should be a "I don't really give a crap" button for mediocre movies. While you're at it you need to let us users pick what our favorite portal entries are in our bios!

Exactly... there should be:

1) Thumbs Up!
2) Thumbs middle (or something)
3) Thumbs Down!

There has to be middle grounds... the all or nothing is gonna get abused like crazy. A lot of people's hard work will get trashed because: "well that movie rocked, but the sound got on my nerves 'THUMBS DOWN'"

You have to give people a 'middle' button to push if they thought the movie was flawed in a way but not worth the 'thumbs down' button.

BBS Signature
eggatron
eggatron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:02:02 Reply

I agree with Razoric, a middle "flat hand" option would be good. On another note, is there any news on the "portal graveyard"? I just want to see the shit i missed out on :) Sometimes shit flash is good entertainment. Well, it is when it's so shit it's funny.

New Voting System?

BBS Signature
Lysdexic
Lysdexic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:02:27 Reply

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

yah!!!!!!1

Pantomime-Horse
Pantomime-Horse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:04:50 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

I still use all numbers when or if voting.

Nah, That means for less distincion between work, Movies will still get voted for just as often & with only 2 options to choose you'll end up with absolutely everything that isn't pure crap scoring the same as eachother even if some are clearly better than others, You'll also end up with the stuff that used to be scored 2.80 labelled as crap eventhough it is often still good.

Tunde
Tunde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:18:33 Reply

You must understand that not everyone votes 5 or 0 but most do. I personally give the submission whaatever it deserves. You can't eliminate the in betweens. If people want to vote 5 or 0 let them do that, but don't take away my right to give a movie what it deserves

EVIL-C
EVIL-C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:24:20 Reply

I think that would be a much better voting system. I only vote either a 5 or a 0, so it would work great for me

Metallica2dope
Metallica2dope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:28:38 Reply

Sounds Good :D

GrandmasterJ
GrandmasterJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:32:38 Reply

Great idea! I hardly ever use the other buttons, but there should be a middle button. I have seen a lot of movies that are so-so, I just dont bother to vote on them most of the time. So if you do implement this idea, have a 2 thumbs up button, a 1 thumb up, one down, and a 2 thumbs down. That would be much easier. I'm looking forward to it.

NeoYoshi
NeoYoshi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:38:55 Reply

I think it sounds like a pretty good idea.

Razoric
Razoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:39:28 Reply

At 8/20/01 02:32 AM, GrandmasterJ wrote: Great idea! I hardly ever use the other buttons, but there should be a middle button. I have seen a lot of movies that are so-so, I just dont bother to vote on them most of the time. So if you do implement this idea, have a 2 thumbs up button, a 1 thumb up, one down, and a 2 thumbs down. That would be much easier. I'm looking forward to it.

Grandmaster... with that kinda voting system, you might as well keep the old one. :)
I agree with you that there has to be a middle ground though. Making it an all-or-nothing vote would destroy the integrity (or what's left of it) of the portal.

BBS Signature
DisturbedOne
DisturbedOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:47:31 Reply

pretty sweet idea but i agree with some of the other people that there should at least be a mediocre button and that you im still and i kinda like the decimals still too

New Voting System?

xvllvx
xvllvx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:52:52 Reply

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

New Voting System?

InGAMER
InGAMER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:54:07 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

Stalker868
Stalker868
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 02:54:33 Reply

i give it a big fat thumbs down.

Aquasol
Aquasol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 03:18:18 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: What does everyone think of this?

Your administrative genius has prevailed once again, Mr. Fulp.

M3wThr33
M3wThr33
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 03:40:55 Reply

Good idea! I support it whole heartedly!

moath
moath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 03:41:11 Reply

I think this would be very good. The current voting system does have the inherent problems you mentioned. This new system would be very welcome, IMHO.

Mr-PantZ
Mr-PantZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 03:49:31 Reply

Great idea! deffinatly do it. Youv got my vote.

Pants01
Pants01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 03:50:27 Reply

I like the thumbs up thumbs down idea. And I think the middle one would be good too for someone who can't decide

New Voting System?

DaFreak
DaFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 04:03:37 Reply

Yep, excellent idea......I can't say I use the other buttons :)

ndmediaNG
ndmediaNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 04:33:01 Reply

Oh dear, you've cought us! hehe, Actually, what I like to do is either raise, or lower a score so if I see a movie in the new section that I don't want to raise, or lower, I just leave it... SO this new system is the smartest idea I've ever heard of!!!

-Nick Danzinger

New Voting System?

SSJVegetto
SSJVegetto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-20 04:35:31 Reply

thats a great voting system! please replace the old one with this, plz plz plz plz...