00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Voting System?

40,899 Views | 578 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 12:18:16

I think this is actullay a great idea. BUT PLEASE ADD SIDEWAYS THUMB OR SOMETHING. I usally only use 0 or 5 but sometimes I use 3 because it kinda sux but kinda doesn't.

Thanks for listening,
he-he-he

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 12:19:26

At 8/24/01 11:21 AM, ITF1003 wrote: Sounds like a great idea. If it goes through then newgrounds would be a better place.

Haha. Shut up..

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 12:29:08

i know im still a newb at this but i still vote and i like the voting system already, BUT, if u have / and / make a > or something cuz i still vote in the middle sometimes.

Also if u take away the music from the newgrounds.com home page dont take away the chickens at the top! PLZ! Sometimes I just come here to shoot the chickens then watch the tank run 'em over.Heheh

Anyway thnx 4 listening again,
he-he-he a.k.a. i_eat_beef

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 14:06:57

I am in favour,
but why not simplfy this process and put it to a vote?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 14:28:42

It would make things simpler, but there needs to be the three options that others have discussed. Not everything that comes in is pure crap or God-like. There are still many that are just mediocre. That way if someone's a beginner and they did a fair job but it still kind of shitty, you dont have to either destroy them or praise them to God. No situation is simply black or white.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 14:35:21

I think the new voting system is a bad idea. A lot of people have to struggle even harder to get were they are on newgrounds, also people that vote zero just to be unnice will effect them even more now. I think it sould be left the way it is.

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 14:38:30

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

it sucks ass that is the worst idea ever the voting system would force us 2 only like a 5 or 0 whil now some of the voters still go inbetween like me i often vote 1 2 3 4 i only rarely vote the extremes

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 14:59:39

Tom, thhis would be an extremely good voting system, for the reasons that you listed. But, if you do make this idea a reality, please remember to have more of those cool voting icons! Up Dolphins!!! --Bobby

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 15:24:37

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

sounds good to me.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 16:33:36

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

Thats cool

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 16:37:30

I agree. there needs to be a middle icon, even if people dont really use it.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 16:57:07

i think you should note the score like this
down / up
35 / 67
this'll give people a good idea on what people have voted..

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 19:11:24

Personally, I've used this "all or nothing" method for quite some time now for the very same reason. Because of this, I have no problem with Tom's proposed rating system. However, I feel that there will have to be 3 choices, instead of 2, because isn't there a difference between a 0 and an X?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 19:17:59

Thats an awsome idea! I think it should be putto work right away:)

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 20:01:42

I think its a good idea since even the highest acclaimed of the flash animations here barely ever reach a score of 4 and most flash animations end up getting votes between 1-4 unless they are exceptionally bad. I think it would be easier to go with the thumbs up/down system because most viewers either like a film or they feel it was a waste of time.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 20:41:03

I think that instead of just 2 thumbs up and down, you should also have the side thumb (if anything better could describe it) because not all is good or bad so if you cant decide, u get the mid thumb. But i could see how this could just be overlooked and only the ups and downs used...

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 20:50:35

I think this is a bad idea...what if a movie is not shitty buy it dosen't really desever a high score. Then you can use the 1-4 system. if you did the thumbs up and down then you could hurt the movie really bad and don't mean it.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 21:24:27

Yeah this idea would be good. Although i like the 0-5 system, this would help in being more accurate on the rating of the movies.

"Just tell the girl your black where it counts."

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 21:32:17

i think the thumb up/down is a great idea. just one question: will the previous scores be converted into thumbs ups or will all votes be reset?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 22:29:33

Kick ass. I Like It!

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 23:07:00

yeah that sounds cool

New Voting System?

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 23:41:11

the thumbs up/down system would totaly suck ass
dont mess with a good thing!!

although that l;ight and dark user stuff sounds really kool

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-24 23:47:18

I think it is a great idea and should be put to use immediately!

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 00:05:16

yayayayayayayaya, must have, also have a medium button that keeps the score in the middle. that would be sweet. lessen the choice and unscramble my brain with little pico faces with 1,2,3,4,and 5 on them. and please add new saying to them plese. the old ones are getting boring.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 01:19:25

I think that could be a good idea, but if it bombs, could we go back to the old rating system? and not everyone ignores 1-4. i don't.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 03:47:26

YEA!!!!!!!!!
vote 5 or 0

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 05:32:11

New voting system sounds like a good plan. I'm impressed with your solution-finding skills.
Personally, though, I gave each movie a rating I felt it deserved. But I can certainly understand your point. And hey, you've got the stats, my friend. Not I.

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 08:44:26

voting a 5 just to make a slight adjustment you can see on its rating shouldnt be allowed. why not just allow 1 vote per user for each movie? (if thats possible.)

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 08:55:32

good idea

Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 10:20:45

i am responding to the new voting system, i think its a very kool idea...its a whole lot better than the number system for many reasons. gee, we're so lucky to have such a smart web master :)