Respond to this Topic
Lyrawind
Lyrawind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 18:58:51 Reply

I think that's a great idea. Then there would be a clear way of determining the score, as opposed to the 1-5 system.

MCurley
MCurley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 20:09:20 Reply

That is a great idea.

onyxtearz
onyxtearz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 20:37:48 Reply

Why ruin a great thing? I think it's much harder to decide between just two choices then rank it according to what it deserves.

Leave it as it is please.

New Voting System?

<deleted>
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 21:23:17 Reply

Awsome it's awsome don't dare change a dam thing! about the music PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!!

New Voting System?

Radness
Radness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 22:28:14 Reply

good idea

New Voting System?

Yakameesh
Yakameesh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 22:54:51 Reply

I think thats a very good idea.

SnowSurfer2004
SnowSurfer2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-22 23:00:42 Reply

Dude, tom, u are an absolute genius. although tis will persuade newgrounds users to become more simplified and prefabricated in their voting, if thats what they want, and if it makes the site easier to use and manage, go for it. proud of ya dude!

Rock On Homes,
The SnowSurfer

happyguy
happyguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 00:03:33 Reply

i think this is would make the voting system way better, but what if you are indifferent(you dont like it or hate it).what are you supposed to do just not vote or what?you should think about this problem.i think the best solution would be to have a icon for average movie.like a sidways hand.

Doodler
Doodler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 00:23:07 Reply

I think that the yay or nay will work nicely, but there should be some sort of flash animation on the 'you just gave blah a blah rating' that represents what you've done to give the rating a little spice...

Just like flaming hot cheetos.

-Doodler

HighWing
HighWing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Reader
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 00:37:01 Reply

I say go for it. I have used the 1-4, but like you said it really doesn't make much difference. But having just a yes or no for a vid might be a little too extreme. Maybe if you had a third one that was a neutral vote that just kept it at the level it is. That would satisfy a person who was undecided on a portal entry. Cause sometimes you don't hate a entry enough to vote bad, but you don't like it enough to vote high.

DarkViper
DarkViper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 00:47:00 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

i think it is a good idea. i basically use the 0 or 5 button anyway. i bet even you. i would kinda like this and kinda not. i like it because it maybe a cool new way to vote. but i would hate it in which when i post a movie and they hate it it would stay at zero%. and i kinda depend on the 1-4 buttons with other users. but to each his own. i kinda like the idea

Flashed-MRG
Flashed-MRG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 00:59:36 Reply

Hey Tom..
the voting system sounds great to me, thumbs up and thumbs down really sounds like a great idea, more accurate in any case. but what really annoys me are people that submit crappy movies to the portal, get experience points from it and basically trash NG and good people end up having to put up with watching that crap, while the crappy-movie submitter people get stronger with experience points.

Do you remember who i am? i'm Flashed_MRG, the guy you deleted from NG because i created NG accounts in order to gain exp. points myself from a referred point-earning way.

At the time i thought it was alright, since i thought no one would suffer from me creating accounts that would get erased if they dont get used. (and gaining exp points while im at it). since unused accounts get deleted automatically, there didnt seem to be a problem (at the time... until i was surprisingly deleted).

Basically i am proposing you not to offer experience points on a movie submission, since lots of submissions are put in as crappy ones that are just there to gain exp. and no other reason. heh.. trust me, as a person who tried to get exp. in the past by using the NG system i would know! :)

perhaps you could offer experience points if after a certain time it reaches a decent percentage level.
i know the voting system can ban an animation/game/movie if it's bad enough from NG, but the more crap that gets submitted, banned or not, the more a person gets exp. points, the more powerful they are to decide on whether something stays or goes, all from the irritating power of over-submitting crappy movies.

so right now crappy-movie-submitter-people get high voting power and whatnot that you can do with exp points.. while the good guys at NG suffer from watching it and being subjected to their voting power.. i dont like that!
this is just a proposal, dont hate me for bringing up the idea! if you had time to read this please tell me what you think.
thanks 4 everything, toodles.. /Flashed_MRG

trenk
trenk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 01:00:22 Reply

good idea, do it

mindgames
mindgames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 01:20:06 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

I think this is a tottaly bitchin idea man

New Voting System?

Cerberust
Cerberust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 01:24:54 Reply

i think , maybe a thumbs up, thumbs down, and not neccesarily a mediocre button (which might stand for 50% or whatever,) but a strengthen the current score, like if a movie has a 3.21 and you watch it and say hmm the score is just fine , they can strengthen the current score, then obviously the thumbs up can be used to lower or highten it, thad be cool, of course, the strengthen first score would be darkened if no votes have been cast yet, simple scripting im sure.

AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD UPDATE THE ALPHAS!!!!
PLEASE!!!!!
I BEG OF YOU!!!!
(theres a race of beings3 submition just rotting in the alpha's mailbox :(:(:( )

Beezer
Beezer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 01:56:25 Reply

Me, being an avid user of the 1-4 voting buttons very much disaprove of the new system. I find the system is great the way it is. The current system has a vote for pretty much any way you feel towards a movie. The new system will only let you say whether you think it is good or you think it is bad, there is no middle ground. I urge you to keep the new system to let us responsible voters have more options

Wolfstergang
Wolfstergang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 02:04:35 Reply

Man oh man this is the best idea tom had since December 15, 1999 when the user system was created for newgrounds, tom I've always wondered what it would be like for a new voting system, like most people I either vote 0 or 5 so this is a very good idea

I salute this with two thumbs up and a smoking mario!

New Voting System?

Bird1
Bird1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 02:10:21 Reply

Hey tom, I've already gotten 155 experience points but All I have is the last peace of cake,where are all the levels? it said that I need five more points to get to level four so I got them but now all it does is tell me to get more for level five,what's up with that?
could you e-mail me at duneguy7@hotmail.com
please? 'cause this thing is kind of screwed up.

Jokis
Jokis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 03:06:00 Reply

Great idea! I love it. I'm for it all the way... :)

I'm actually one of the few who does vote a 1-4 on movies. But if you're simplyfying it...it just makes it a lot more easier. :)

Radam
Radam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 03:28:42 Reply

I like it.

>:C

Mike27112
Mike27112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 04:11:52 Reply

i have mixed feelings about this proposed change. i admit, i did usually just vote 5's for my favorite movies and 0's for the ones i really disliked, but there were also many 1-4's that i gave out. i see the distinction between something that's great and something that's okay. i think that the 0-5 scale allows more precise voting, but i wouldn't be too opposed to a thubms up/down situation. since most people vote either 0 or 5, i can see how there isn't that much of a need for 1-4. the only real question i have is how we would handle a change over in case we did switch voting styles. maybe we could just wipe the slate clean of votes and then let everything get new votes to see if it deserves to be where it should be.

PulpFictor
PulpFictor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 04:50:18 Reply

Well i think its a good idea but i must admit it's gonna be hard to choose thumbs up or thumbs down on a movie thats not great nor bad. Also, say i just finished voting on the final task, i give it a thumbs up, then i go to eskimo bob, another good movie, but not nearly as good as the final task, do i REALLY wanna give it the same rating as the final task? no, but then again i dont wanna put it down either, so what then? Has anyone thought about that?

gatecrasher666
gatecrasher666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 04:56:05 Reply

The new system would be heaps better.

Citron-Rochell
Citron-Rochell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 05:15:33 Reply

As long as the review function is still available, I'll support it. Personally, people already seem to do that already. If they didn't like a film, they'll vote a 0 (or X if they're farging arseholes) and if they liked it, they'll vote a five.

trtr
trtr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 06:01:21 Reply

i think it is a good idea

Janoth
Janoth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 07:12:16 Reply

Keep it as it is, because at the moment i can really give an opinion about the movie / game. When this "Thumbs up" / "Thumbs down" system is introduced I can only say "It's Ok" or "It's not Ok".

When I vote my vote has to mean something, not just "Ok" or "Not Ok".

arrogancy
arrogancy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 08:54:25 Reply

At 8/23/01 12:59 AM, Flashed_MRG wrote: Hey Tom..
the voting system sounds great to me, thumbs up and thumbs down really sounds like a great idea, more accurate in any case. but what really annoys me are people that submit crappy movies to the portal, get experience points from it and basically trash NG and good people end up having to put up with watching that crap, while the crappy-movie submitter people get stronger with experience points.

Do you remember who i am? i'm Flashed_MRG, the guy you deleted from NG because i created NG accounts in order to gain exp. points myself from a referred point-earning way.

At the time i thought it was alright, since i thought no one would suffer from me creating accounts that would get erased if they dont get used. (and gaining exp points while im at it). since unused accounts get deleted automatically, there didnt seem to be a problem (at the time... until i was surprisingly deleted).

Basically i am proposing you not to offer experience points on a movie submission, since lots of submissions are put in as crappy ones that are just there to gain exp. and no other reason. heh.. trust me, as a person who tried to get exp. in the past by using the NG system i would know! :)

perhaps you could offer experience points if after a certain time it reaches a decent percentage level.
i know the voting system can ban an animation/game/movie if it's bad enough from NG, but the more crap that gets submitted, banned or not, the more a person gets exp. points, the more powerful they are to decide on whether something stays or goes, all from the irritating power of over-submitting crappy movies.

so right now crappy-movie-submitter-people get high voting power and whatnot that you can do with exp points.. while the good guys at NG suffer from watching it and being subjected to their voting power.. i dont like that!
this is just a proposal, dont hate me for bringing up the idea! if you had time to read this please tell me what you think.
thanks 4 everything, toodles.. /Flashed_MRG

Flashed MRG, I totally agree with you about the percentage/voting thing. Why is it that we "3 and above" average people have less voting power than people who don't know a damn thing about flash? And nothing is more annoying than having your movie voted down due to some jealous guy who is mad because his movie got voted off.

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE GOOD MOVIES THE POWER.

How much more obvious of a solution can you get?

DocMonster
DocMonster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 08:59:07 Reply

I'm an avid user of 1 through 4, though I agree with your point that there are a lot of extreme voters out there. Quite a few people have suggested this already, but I like the idea of having a thumbs up, neutral thumb and thumbs down system. A neutral thumb gives the middle of the road pieces a fair vote.

New Voting System?

DoomTrooper182
DoomTrooper182
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 09:36:28 Reply

It's a great idea. While you're at it get rid of the breast implants poping up all over the place.

DeadlyMofo
DeadlyMofo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-23 09:42:53 Reply

i think it sounds pretty hype. :)