Respond to this Topic
dynamic
dynamic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 06:09 AM Reply

DO IT DOOOO IT dinamic saz do it it's a great id YEEEEAAAH MAN!!!

WeReW0LF
WeReW0LF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 06:53 AM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

I think this is a great idea, it will also make voting movies much easier

Mickey359
Mickey359
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 07:11 AM Reply

cool i like it do it Tom i do like 1-4 thing

New Voting System?

jettel
jettel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 07:32 AM Reply

i think that's a good idea cause all the vote's with 0 and 5 i don't use them that much anyway it's rare that i vote 5 or 0 for a movie most of the time it's 3/2 or1
but it's a good idea

xHeavenly-Knightx
xHeavenly-Knightx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 07:57 AM Reply

I think that the new Voting system is good , before usually i dont' pick those between 1-5 or 5-10. I would think you shoudl try teh new voting system and if it doesnt' work then go back , sort of like trial an error.... Not a bad idea.. at all...

Low-Budget-Superhero
Low-Budget-Superhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 09:16 AM Reply

I like the X-5 voting system myself. When you think about it, does "Mario Twins" really deserve the same score as say... anything but Jose Ortiz!? Both good movies in their own right, but one's not quite as good as the other.

New Voting System?

Waugh-Hoo
Waugh-Hoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:00 AM Reply

I think that is a better idea as it will make the calculations easier and make it easier to work out how good the feature is by its score!!!!!

:-) GOOD IDEA :-)

KinkyKraze
KinkyKraze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:02 AM Reply

Great idea! This will make everyone's lives easier!

kucing-ikut
kucing-ikut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

meh. why bother, cuz a lot of ppl still use 1-4. and if you did this the karma police would come get you! its just makes ppl feel better if they have more of an option. i dont know how you figure how to run all this shit, but i hope its some auto-system!!!!! hehe

New Voting System?

B-Side
B-Side
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:13 AM Reply

Great idea. But lets not forget the "remove this shit button" too.

kucing-ikut
kucing-ikut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:19 AM Reply

Fuck nooooo!!!!!!! why do you think everybody else in the rating buisiness vote with 1-5? so you can get a good idea if the movie is pure shit or alright, or pretty good and what not. don't do it! just cuz some dumb fucks can only understand 0 or 5, doesnt mean the few ng users with a brain have to suffer! fuck the idea up the ass, no offense to you tom. i can see your trying to better the community......and im babbling....lates

kucing-ikut
kucing-ikut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 8/21/01 07:11 AM, Mickey359 wrote:

New Voting System?

kucing-ikut
kucing-ikut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:25 AM Reply

At 8/21/01 07:11 AM, Mickey359 wrote:

some fuckers dont even know what this idea means! [see above]

New Voting System?

Vultz
Vultz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:27 AM Reply

Yeah sounds good. Although what if a movie really is something which should be removed from newgrounds due to content or total lack of interesting content, and there is no option to vote for that...

Kevinski888
Kevinski888
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:35 AM Reply

DO it!

kornsterking00
kornsterking00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:42 AM Reply

I think thats friggin injenouse!! go with it

Blackmagic
Blackmagic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 11:36 AM Reply

Even though I do use the middle numbers I think it would be okay to try out to see if its cool.

Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

walking-dead
walking-dead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 11:54 AM Reply

Great idea Tom! Now get to work....

edicius
edicius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 12:01 PM Reply

yay!

madASScow
madASScow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 12:04 PM Reply

Two thumbs up for the new voting system!!

<deleted>
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 12:05 PM Reply

SOUP CRUMPETS!

New Voting System?

jewel069
jewel069
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 12:23 PM Reply

jewel069 here, I agree!

Jenn
Jenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 12:37 PM Reply

Great idea! I think there should also be a middle choice though =D

EntropicOrder
EntropicOrder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 12:41 PM Reply

If you are going to be doing a redesign, here are a few ideas:

1. I think there should definately be an inbetween vote.

2. You should put a percentage of the movies on NG that a movie stands. (I.e. "This movie stands at 70% of all the content on NG.")

3. Is there anyway to have one movie appear under two users lists? That way collaborative efforts can be given just props to both creators.

4. Can't you simply set a cookie to play/not play music on newgrounds, with a checkbox to toggle? I have my mp3 list, and I hate clicking the little stop music button that you have to precisely click the letters of the words. And on the portal page you don't have a choice.

New Voting System?

chino-moreno
chino-moreno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 01:00 PM Reply

yes go for it good idea

BigFergo
BigFergo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 01:00 PM Reply

I reckon it's a better idea-for starters-the vote flash will be smaller/load quicker(less page d/l time), and make choosing the flash movie/game rating easier. Maybe lazy-easy, but easy. We'll all become Siskel and Eberts of Newgrounds. =)

KidRokk
KidRokk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 01:03 PM Reply

Yeah, I agree with what some people are saying. It should be a thumbs up, thumbs middle, and thumbs down. That would work better.

driscolldgx
driscolldgx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Yeah, man, that is a damn good idea, but just keep the option of voting "X" so we can delete shit-ass posts

Ironclaw2002
Ironclaw2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 02:14 PM Reply

Ehh, Yay!

ubern0strum
ubern0strum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 02:22 PM Reply

Great idea Tom, but like it was mentioned earlier there needs to be a middle ground type button. Like a NewGrounds button for the good stuff, a a middleground button for ok stuff, and a 6FeetUnderground button for crap. I'm sure you could come with somthin better than what I just did... Ridel High Football Rules!!!!!!!