Ironclaw2002
Ironclaw2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 02:34 PM Reply

I would say Yay!

I love www.newgrounds.com. I´m there everyday.

You have devided movies in categories. Like my Kung Fu movie in the "Video Games" category. Why don´t you create a place for ONLY Ultima Online Flash movies?. I have created som myself, and I have seen like, 20 more on newgrounds. but on the entire internet there are over 400 Ultima Online parody movies. They are very popular.

thanks,

Ironclaw

mikerm53
mikerm53
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 03:22 PM Reply

You should have thumbs down, undecided, thumbs up so there is a nuetral vote.

koRnaddict
koRnaddict
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 03:28 PM Reply

love it......

Kinsman
Kinsman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 8/20/01 06:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/20/01 09:08 AM, zoro wrote: I think you should have at least three choices. I'd still like to see neutral in the game.

Other than that its two thumbs fresh.
Cute icons! Here is what I am thinking... And why I think that two options is sufficient.

Imagine someone watches a movie. They think, "That movie isn't too good", so they give it a thumbs down.
The second person comes to see the movie. They don't think it is that great, but they see it has a score of 0%, so they give it a thumbs up because they think it isn't THAT BAD. So now the movie has 50%.
The next user comes along and thinks the movie deserves more than 50%, so he gives it a thumbs up - it now has 75%. The next user doesn't think it is worth that much, so he gives it a thumbs up... Now it is somewhere around 64% - I'm no math genius.

The point is, people tend to vote on whether they want to see the score go higher or lower, which is why I think this system would work. Comments? :)

-Tom

In that case, perhaps instead of thumbs you should use something closer to the point: a 'raise' arrow and a 'lower' arrow. (With your current voting power measured in votes per day hovering beside the two.)

I don't like the idea of giving into the tide and changing from the concept of 'review board' to the concept of 'ratings war'.. but you seem set on the idea, so I suppose you're the boss of things here. Perhaps alongside of changing the voting system, you should somehow add a tweak to the reviewing system - to encourage hype and vote-pushing on the left and reasoned analysis on the right. Maybe you could give the reviews more prominence in the Portal, by having a Top 50 by reviews as well as a Top 50 by popular vote.

I noticed in a few other places there were people asking to have the voting power shifted, from those that vote commonly to those that submit good movies.

Taking my ideas so far a bit further, how about:

* A Top 50 by votes, and a Top 50 by reviews;
* voting power enhanced by voting commonly;
* reviewing power enhanced by a good batting average.
* You only review a movie once; you can vote for a movie as much as you want (per day.)

This way, we can have the 'high' and 'low' cultures of Newgrounds living side by side! :)

-Sean Givan

BBS Signature
slim-shady-006
slim-shady-006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 03:42 PM Reply

great idea

Darth-Jerec
Darth-Jerec
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

Go for it, Tom. It's much simpler and easier to compute. Of course, then you'll have to remap everything, because the good movies have to be recognized.

Avolin
Avolin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 04:01 PM Reply

That sounds great. It's just like the system Nintendorks had for their submissions. I say go for it, but keep everything else the way it was.

New Voting System?

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 04:46 PM Reply

I think its great

Ig0r
Ig0r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Great idea

Bird1
Bird1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 05:40 PM Reply

I dunno, theres some good ideas with bad animation,
and vice versa, mabye people should just judge it for what it is,art,philosophy,violence ect, If it's just "Good" we have no way of knowing,mabye both,good or bad And art or violence or smut or whatever,
you could dedicate movies to those places,the good/bad would even out I suppose, anyway,I downloaded that damn flash thing 'cause I want to do something with my life but I'll settle for this could you tell me what I shouold look in to get flash? the download options don't ask you where you want it,If you don't help we must kill you,Oh yeah and please e-mail me at duneguy7@hotmail.com... or else

mbannonb
mbannonb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 06:10 PM Reply

I think you lose out that way. The voting 0 or 5 is an attempt by the user to exercise some kind of power when the truth is, it doesn't really make much of a difference. I say you stick to the original idea, using the voting to communicate what you really thought of the work. You can do this by showing what percentage of people voted with a 5, what percentage voted with a 4 and so on. For example, of the show "Kung Fu" (whatever), 10% gave it a 5, 20% gave it a 4, 30% gave it a 3, 10% gave it 2 and so on. That way, what you thought of it gets communicated instead of just getting lumped into a single number.

GINGEclock-1
GINGEclock-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 06:25 PM Reply

That would be cool as long as we can still add weight to our votes. I am a level 8 user (pretty lowlife, I know) and i love giving a movie 4.6 votes instead of 1 vote. As long as this system can be upheld, I wthink the thumbs up, thumbs down system would be a good idea. please let me do something on your site like post on the front page, i have no life, do whatever anyone tells me and am really bored most of the time, i want a job. well, hope you read thi. goodbye

Eagle2-22
Eagle2-22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 06:31 PM Reply

I occasionally use 1-4 in my voting, but I think that a thumbs up/thumbs down system would be ok also. You should try it.

rubico10
rubico10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 06:35 PM Reply

both concepts are really good but there is a better one, why not make it so that there is an extra decimal or 2 so it looks like the vote is worth more and reseting the votes like every 6 months so the votes are low so that the vote is actualy worth alot more but if it has to be yes or no system at least put a nutral button in there

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 07:09 PM Reply

You need to have some kind of middle ground as well. I mostly use 0 and 5 but I do use the ones in the middle as well.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
Sklak
Sklak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 07:18 PM Reply

Well, it doesn't address the problem that a lot of people only vote 0 or 5. Rather, it forces EVERYONE to vote either 0 or 5 for no particular reason.

Basically your idea is to just get rid of 1-4 since a lot of people don't use those numbers.

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

ChickenGizzard
ChickenGizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Yeah!
I sometimes forget about 1-4 :)

thenightgroup
thenightgroup
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Tom boy, you're a genius. I love the idea. Go for it!

New Voting System?

syxx88
syxx88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 09:02 PM Reply

I think you should go back to the layout of the site last year,it was so much better. The one you have now sucks.

syxx88
syxx88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 09:03 PM Reply

I think you guys should go back to the site layout from a year ago. It was so much better, easier to navigate, and it just looked better. All of my friends think the same. I dont like the layout this site has had for the past months. Go back to the old layout!!!

Complex
Complex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 09:44 PM Reply

I think it is a pretty good idea. I do use the 1-4 buttons though, but would'nt really give a shit if it were changed. It would be all the same to me

Nall-X
Nall-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:08 PM Reply

I think that's a great idea, I always try to use the number that a movie ACTUALLY deserves (as in, 1-4), but I have noticed a trend in the last few months where a movie would appear and 2 days later it'll be #1 of all time... I'm all for the percent system, it sounds great!
Nall X

Mister42
Mister42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:25 PM Reply

i like it

New Voting System?

bomb
bomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I for one am quite okay with the current system. I vote using all options, mainly 0 and 5, but I've given quite a few 4's, 3's, 2's (my first ever blam was a 2). But, if you do make the changes, there should be a middle ground button and the X button (represented by a middle finger)

Kauerz
Kauerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:28 PM Reply

I think that's a great idea , but you should also make a visual representation of the results (pie graph or chart) on the voting screen of each movie , or even have somethig that shows changes in the % over time (like a stock going up or down).

tsukasu
tsukasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:30 PM Reply

I like it the way it is but if you change it then definitely have a middle button. Also, I hate this AOL bullshit so enough with the LMAO, LMFAO, LOL, IMHO, etc. I get the LOL one but what the fuck are the rest of these? Just type shit out people.

At 8/20/01 03:41 AM, moath wrote: I think this would be very good. The current voting system does have the inherent problems you mentioned. This new system would be very welcome, IMHO.
Teddybear-Of-DEATH
Teddybear-Of-DEATH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:38 PM Reply

sounds good. go for it, Tom. (Leave the X option though, it doesn't have to count as a vote, but a only a flag instead.)

Astro-Princess
Astro-Princess
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 10:46 PM Reply

I actually use the middle buttons all of the time. There are a lot of submissions I feel that don't deserve a 5 or a 0. There are a number of things I take into consideration when I vote (not that you or anyone else doesn't). I usually give someone a 0 when I think it truly is crap, and I give someone a 5 when I truly think something is 'god-like". Each middle button has an actual meaning to me as well.

I think it's a very good idea, but there should be some kind of middle ground. I don't vote at either extreme too often, I don't think. I wouldn't want to have to choose between only two extremes--there are so many levels to a Flash movie to me that only two ways to vote would really fall short of how I think a movie should be voted for.

But I do agree that the current voting system is kind of cumbersome and complicated, maybe a modified thumbs up or down would work?

New Voting System?

Poptarts047
Poptarts047
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 11:17 PM Reply

i dont like that, too simplistic. You should make a voting system like the reviews, based on graphics, sounds, violence, overall, etc.

Sir-Eatsalot
Sir-Eatsalot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 21st, 2001 @ 11:19 PM Reply

I do use the 0 and 5 alot but I do use the others every day. Some I like so much I give a 5 but there is some that sit in between... So I give them a 2 or 3... Pleaz don't take away our 1, 2, 3, 4. Those things are highly needed if you ask me.