Be a Supporter!

New Voting System?

  • 21,138 Views
  • 595 Replies
Respond to this Topic
DarkViper
DarkViper
  • Member since: May. 22, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 00:05:16 Reply

yayayayayayayaya, must have, also have a medium button that keeps the score in the middle. that would be sweet. lessen the choice and unscramble my brain with little pico faces with 1,2,3,4,and 5 on them. and please add new saying to them plese. the old ones are getting boring.

UnseelieSidhe
UnseelieSidhe
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 01:19:25 Reply

I think that could be a good idea, but if it bombs, could we go back to the old rating system? and not everyone ignores 1-4. i don't.

Psicor
Psicor
  • Member since: Sep. 14, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 03:47:26 Reply

YEA!!!!!!!!!
vote 5 or 0

coffeeland
coffeeland
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 05:32:11 Reply

New voting system sounds like a good plan. I'm impressed with your solution-finding skills.
Personally, though, I gave each movie a rating I felt it deserved. But I can certainly understand your point. And hey, you've got the stats, my friend. Not I.

Bomb-Clock
Bomb-Clock
  • Member since: Aug. 9, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 08:44:26 Reply

voting a 5 just to make a slight adjustment you can see on its rating shouldnt be allowed. why not just allow 1 vote per user for each movie? (if thats possible.)

SoWN
SoWN
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 08:55:32 Reply

good idea

marvel4200
marvel4200
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 10:20:45 Reply

i am responding to the new voting system, i think its a very kool idea...its a whole lot better than the number system for many reasons. gee, we're so lucky to have such a smart web master :)

marvel4200
marvel4200
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 12:07:14 Reply

this isnt for the voting system, but just to let u know, i posted a movie for the mikey collection entitled Mikey's Surprise u guys might wanna check it out

QueeNaNGie
QueeNaNGie
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 12:21:45 Reply

GooD iDea.

MappyTheKlown
MappyTheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 3, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 14:53:20 Reply

All hail the satanic catholic boy.
I love that idea and I think it should be done. People of newgrounds are either assholes or kickass and I think it could really change the way of keeping and removing movies. Its a great idea and NEEDS to be used. Although what would happen with the movies already?

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

New Voting System?

TwistedWarlock
TwistedWarlock
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 14:59:39 Reply

I think that a new thumbs up/down voting system would work a lot better that it's predacesser.

also i'm new to newgrounds and i don't know about "Dark" users and "Light" users and was wondering the difference between them,add how sides are chosen.

TeamTiger
TeamTiger
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 16:19:58 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?
hephasstus
hephasstus
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 17:07:40 Reply

I think that this is a really good idea, because i myself only use either X or 5 because i either like it or i don't. So i think this idea should come into play ASAP

BruceLee19
BruceLee19
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 17:21:48 Reply

I don't know, I kind of like the way it is now. Wouldn't that have a drastic effect on how the Portal works too? I think its fine the way it is:)

New Voting System?

BlueBirdRedSky-BBRS
BlueBirdRedSky-BBRS
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 17:41:14 Reply

I think you're idea was brilliant! Because I never vote 1-4 either, just 0 and 5...

I hope they'll change the system...

//BBRS

jotarou
jotarou
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 18:35:33 Reply

I really like the idea of limiting the voting, mainly because of how it promises to speed things up. I do think, though that instead of only a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' system, the addition of a 'neh' rating of neutrality would be good so that if we're watching a video and we want to get the points for voting, and yet have no strong opinion about the video, we should be forced to put it down or raise it up undeservingly. Even so, if thumbs up/thumbs down is the fastest option, run with it.

Cthulhu5
Cthulhu5
  • Member since: Sep. 14, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 22:53:56 Reply

Personally (neutral that I am) I use the middle numbers a lot. But, I could see the thumbs up and down things working.

Cthulhu5
Cthulhu5
  • Member since: Sep. 14, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 22:59:15 Reply

My problem with the all or nothing scheme is... what if you see a cartoon, it kinda sucks, but you kinda like it. I usually give them 2s or 3s. Now what am I supposed to do? Give it a thumbs up eventhough it doesnt really deserve it or give it a thumbs down eventhough i kinda liked it and it made me laugh.

I think an all-or-nothing vote isnt the best idea... in theory it is but I think 1,2,3,4 are used more in te beginning of a cartoon's lifecycle and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to take away.

I agree what about a thumbs to the side or middle vote.

Horger
Horger
  • Member since: May. 20, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 23:07:16 Reply

we should definitely go with this. good idea tom.

echo-tyme
echo-tyme
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-25 23:25:08 Reply

Awesome idea!!! I love the idea of thumbs up/ and thumbs down. the percentage brought me to like this idea. This will now tell me how many people who've watched the movie (Played game) liked it.

B-b-b-b-b-b-r-r-r-r-i-i-i-i-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-i-i-a-n-t!

Brilliant IDEA!!!!1

addicted-to-anime
addicted-to-anime
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 00:05:22 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

I think it would be a good idea.

PincushionKid
PincushionKid
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 00:10:28 Reply

A yay for the new system.

Blackmagic
Blackmagic
  • Member since: Jul. 4, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 03:34:19 Reply

I still think we should try it.

But only for a little while to see if its good.

And if it is. We do it!


Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

neo-catalyst
neo-catalyst
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 05:27:15 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

Fuck yeah!

Spikey-haired-skater
Spikey-haired-skater
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 05:42:18 Reply

Yeah Class idea, Rock on Newgrounds!!

Femalebodyinspector
Femalebodyinspector
  • Member since: May. 19, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 08:19:51 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:

What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

What does everyone think of this?

I say, go for it. I don't know a damn person who uses anything except 0 or 5, so this just simplifies everything. I just wanna know, how long would this take, and would you have to shut down NG?

megafighter-x
megafighter-x
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 09:04:20 Reply

I still say this rating system woudl suck ass. I usually end up giving a movie about 3 or so. Keep the X-5 system!

Jocasta
Jocasta
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 10:06:13 Reply

YeAh i tHiNk iTs a dAmN GoOD iDeA i lIkE It aLoT.....YeY For yoU AnD YouR BrAiN

SteeDee
SteeDee
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 10:38:53 Reply

Great idea, though i think a middle thingy, like good bad or o.k. should be included. While you're at it, spice it up a bit with the experience points! Its a long and tedious process getting ten a day, why not make it random and more fun? or maybe an EXPERIENCE POINTS LOTTERY! THAT WOULD BE KICK ASS...

woozo
woozo
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-26 10:42:06 Reply

Sounds preatty good to me.