Respond to this Topic
scythe232
scythe232
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-03 03:34:51 Reply

I use 1-4 seldomly but it looks like at this point the thumbs system isn't being looke into anymore.

I don't know and don't care.

Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-05 19:54:20 Reply

I know this is an old-ish thread but I think that it would ruin newgrounds. Older movies and games get few votes per day and changing the system will reset all scores. The very low popularity movies would have a very unfair score.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

DJ
DJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-06 22:26:09 Reply

At 9/6/07 07:04 PM, grandia2 wrote: I dont wat to lose my voting power i have worked hard for! not a good idea

You could still have your vote power. Just get how ever much your vote power is in thumbs.

VandreKhronos
VandreKhronos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-07 21:25:44 Reply

Hmm, I think you would still need the 0-5 voting system in order to better evaluate the flashes that are undergoing the Under Judgment phase, in order to give it a chance. Generally after the first few hundred votes the 1-4 buttons lose their voting efficiency, and hence you begin to see the 0 and 5 use (assuming this is what's happening)

You could implement the Thumbs Up/ Down system after the flashes escape the under judgment phase. It is also likely that the requirements for passing may have to be tightened as a result...

-V. Khronos

VandreKhronos
VandreKhronos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-07 22:26:50 Reply

Well, I gave it a bit more thought...

Instead of what I suggested above, lets say you leave everything as is and implement the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down vote mechanism. You make the Under Judgment system more lenient or you leave it as it is, this way people who are submitting their first flashes for the first time can get a chance to be seen by the mainstream crowd of Newgrounds.

Now in addition to the Thumbs Up / Down buttons, or the absolute vote buttons, you introduce a button called the Shaky Hand - Representing the viewer's inability to make an absolute vote. Choosing this button will display new buttons equivalent to the current 1 / 4 buttons.

Now the system will keep track of which of the three initial buttons were chosen in the first vote during Under Judgement. The flash submission will be treated normally if more than 45% of the clicks correspond to the absolute vote buttons. Now, if the Shaky Hand button is chosen significantly more times the system should signal the flash and put it under a "Closer Observation" status.

Once it is in this Closer Observation status, review viewing will be enabled for the flash and the system will now keep closer track of the moderate votes. If the majority of the moderate votes correspond to the 1 or 2 votes, the submission in question will be flagged. If it has a significant Thumbs Down vote as well, the flash will be eliminated. If it has an near equal or significant Thumbs up vote, it will go into a Near Death status. It will be up to the next few votes to decide its fate.

Meh, so how's this for a suggestion?

-V. Khronos

VandreKhronos
VandreKhronos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-07 22:32:05 Reply

Aw frig. I forgot one last thing.

The Thumbs Up /Down system would not work for the Audio Portal. The current system helps indicate the progress/ quality of the music, and might be helping the artists gain a better idea of whether they need to improve or not.

Or maybe none of the vote systems really help for that portal, since so few people vote anyways...

Yep. Done now.

-V. Khronos

Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-09 17:39:42 Reply

I like how the system is now, were there's 500 different possibility's of score, 100 different possibility's of score isn't enough considering that there's over 100,000 movies and games out there at the moment.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Grind29
Grind29
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-13 00:18:45 Reply

do this for audio too

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 04:39:25 Reply

I really don't like this idea at all.

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 04:42:49 Reply

At 9/14/07 04:39 AM, squeakytoad wrote: I really don't like this idea at all.

Oh crap. Didn't realize how old this was. Why do people keep bumping stuff in the news forum? Ah it's annoying trying to find a recent article that's no longer listed on the front page.

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 09:03:40 Reply

No! I vote more 3s and 4s than I vote 0s and 5s.

And I'm sure many others use them too. Let it just stay that way.

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 09:05:02 Reply

At 9/14/07 04:42 AM, squeakytoad wrote:
At 9/14/07 04:39 AM, squeakytoad wrote: I really don't like this idea at all.
Oh crap. Didn't realize how old this was. Why do people keep bumping stuff in the news forum? Ah it's annoying trying to find a recent article that's no longer listed on the front page.

Damn. I got tricked too.

lol srsly

BBS Signature
TheYoungblood
TheYoungblood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 09:21:43 Reply

No more 1-4, it just sucks, just 0-5, Blam or Save, Thumbs up or down?
Fuck yeah, it's a good idea, Tom!

SNES64
SNES64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 13:32:41 Reply

Pretty swell idea.......

Ich habe ein panzerwagen und mein panzerwagen is kaput! :(

Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-15 09:28:20 Reply

At 9/14/07 09:03 AM, Jin wrote: No! I vote more 3s and 4s than I vote 0s and 5s.

And I'm sure many others use them too. Let it just stay that way.

Ya, I do the same, better stick with the old system.
Anyway, this thread has been living for a long time and is very popular too, in other words you won't get baned for posting here in case your afraid of bumping an old thread.

bifgis
bifgis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-15 10:27:18 Reply

lol when I was reading it I thought it was august of this year for a second, then I did a double take at the year date XD

Zenet11
Zenet11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-16 10:32:38 Reply

I don't think thats a good idea to use for flashes that are already out there. But I do think that it is a good idea for flashes under judgement. or example, you vote thumbs up or down to allow this flash to pass, then you vote 1-5 on flashes that are already sucessfull. I think that alot of stuff out there will get blammed faster if you put in the yes/no voting system, that includes good and bad things. Think about this carefuly.

If .hack games are just games within games, then what do the player's neighbors think when they are screaming and yelling?

borghi
borghi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-28 10:55:00 Reply

At 9/9/07 09:03 PM, grandia2 wrote: ill said it once ill say it again IAM NOT GOING TO LOSE MY VOTING POWER TO THIS IDEA sorry for yellin but some people have worked real hard to get to their level and no iam not a stat whore
"the system that works gets replaced but the system that is broken dosn't"

You WOULDN'T lose your voting power,
even if this system did come into place (which it doesnt seem like, since its such an old thread) your voting power would simply be transformed into thumbs. As in you would have 7 thumbsworth per vote, or such.

gummyboi
gummyboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-28 14:14:02 Reply

i think its a good idea, and just for a suggestion while your at it could you maybe extend the voting allowance to a possible 20exp a day? cause at the rate of 10exp a day nobodys ever gonna reach lvl 60 and get that lovely icon

BBS Signature
SublimeOne
SublimeOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-28 15:34:00 Reply

I really like the ideia, I think you should go ahead and do it, but any way some people are talking about a 3 option voting system and from my point of view it is infact a good ideia in terms of comon sence and all but there will always be someone in it for the score, imo the 2nd option would be equally ignored by most users

<deleted>
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-29 10:05:03 Reply

this idea is just awful.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-29 10:43:50 Reply

At 9/29/07 10:05 AM, Darkside7000 wrote: this idea is just awful.

And 6 years old.

dark-wolf-5
dark-wolf-5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-30 21:42:41 Reply

I think that's a brilliant idea. I myself usually only use 5 or 0. I think alot of people would think that its a good idea.

VadimK
VadimK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2007-10-04 05:50:28 Reply

i am all for it
even though i often use the 1-4 buttons
yay or nay buttons would be much better

Greth-of-destruction
Greth-of-destruction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Programmer
Response to New Voting System? 2007-10-04 23:58:03 Reply

Wait a sec! Does this mean that every movie I blam (just because my aura is evil) doesn't get as much power as a person with a light aura!? (Sigh) This is very confusing! I for one am against the whole ditching of 1-4 after all some people on Newgrounds do use them (me for example)!

-GOD

The mods of Newgrounds have flipped out several times and deleted my [text] signature. Something about my initials being "GoD". Well, I hope you guys like my new one,
DOG-

BBS Signature
dooseyboy
dooseyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to New Voting System? 2007-10-05 01:54:44 Reply

meh it kind of takes the fun away
like the idea but im just thinking about the graphics

BBS Signature