Reviews for "Magi: The Fallen World"

This Trip Could Have Hurt a Whole Lot Less

Despite the slick look and potential replay value, drawing inspiration from Hellgate London and Diablo, "Magi: The Fallen World" has several irritating quirks that prevent it from being a memorable, enjoyable role-play experience:

Straight off the bat: if you want to play as the Archer character class, you must visit the "primary" hosting site, ageofgames.net, and play it there. Really? Why release it on other sites? Generate traffic for said hosting site? This frown-worthy marketing ploy has no function in the game itself, and a role-play junkie like me gets irate when I see an arbalest crossbow that I can never use unless I'm at another site. I happen to like it here at Newgrounds, okay?

Second, the randomization for equipment is too random. Some items that are branded with a level 4 requirement with willpower as a core attribute necessary to wield are outmoded by a level 1 piece with half the statistics necessary to use as well as double the efficiency in combat. Not an inkling of sense went into this feature's implementation. This erodes game balance.

Between the two characters I played, Warrior and Mage, I found the Mage almost feasible. Just get high mobility and run around the battlefield. Warriors need the high stamina because it will ultimately devolve into a close-up brawl. I had to equip daggers to remedy the mediocre striking speed, and suddenly the character wasn't so far-fetched. But... daggers?

This is also the first game where I have died... routinely so... for no reason than being too weak to handle "Elite" enemies. It depressed me rather than incensed me, because it meant that I had to grind weaklings and, if none were available, exit and re-enter so that a few mobs respawn. Having used MMO terminology, I got to tell you: the handling of "Champion" and "Elite" and "Legendary" creatures in this game, while possibly a challenge to some, will appear unrealistic and annoying to others. Grinding and Power-Leveling appeals only to twinkle-toed munchkins.

In RPGs, the first few moments of play are the most crucial. They're meant to hook a player for the rest of the journey. Unfortunately, the voice-overs, set to ring once every ten attacks, quickly tax this player's nerves. If you're gonna be stuck through countless dungeons fighting bad guys and looting endless warrens, you might as well hear someone worth listening to.

Creature AI fails to satisfy my desire for a strategic approach to combat. While this looks like the good SKELETON of a fighting game-based role-playing engine, it is far from a complete engine. The creatures just amble or shuffle or, in the case of giant elites, SCRAMBLE after you in a straight line, they don't bother to back off from warriors' range or have their underlings try to harry or surround a mage. All you do is line up a mob and hit fireball or use rapid-fire with a dagger, simple as that. Most of these games neglect to feature hidden hit-detection programming that prevents creatures from getting too close to one another or the character, so nobody is on top of each other.

And if stagnation of strategy cannot get worse, the limited array of special skills appear promising, but some are either superfluous or just hazardous. There is a fixed cap on how much health is wasted on Bloodlust, for instance, while it only offers a percentile increase in damage, which doesn't increase as fast as the Health cost per skill level up. Unless you're wielding a slow-speed heavy-bruiser weapon, Bloodlust is useless... especially with a dagger that deals paltry damage. You'd hurt yourself more than the cretin you're fighting!

Don't get me wrong. Deploying the "dump-on" should not discourage the authors from using a lavish musical score or 32-bit quality fighting game graphics. Production values and artistic merits are, on the surface, incredible, and the game can keep players busy. It's a shame that such energy wasn't directed towards improving game play, but having been made in under three months, "Magi: The Fallen World" is, still, a professional accomplishment.

glitchy

The graphics are better than expected. It does suck that you have to choose between gender and the class you want. Also, the random enemy dungeons are cool. But you should make it where Boss chars can't be the first fight. Bosses belong at the END of a dungeon, not the beginning.

The glitch is no matter how easy the monster at the beginning, it takes two seconds for my char to die. :/ Which is odd because I haven't even moved yet and it declares me dead. Also, had to refresh browser because one of the times an (seemingly) easily killed monster killed me, the game went on repeat when the char falls down on the ground. the 'you are dead lol' screen comes up but the char keeps repeating the cycle of falling and the enemies are still gang banging itinstead of freezing and making the transition to the 'click to continue screen' forgive the bad grammer, im buzzed right now.

Good

this game is good.. i like it.. but, the game has became boring when i had save the second island.. :(

Nice try, but...

I didn´t like this games, but was a good try. This concept of game has alredy been explored and i didnt find any thing new on the game. Next time try to invent some new magics for the mage, without abandoning the classics fireballs.

Try to make the talent tree more complex and full off diferent builds, like arcane, fire, cold, necromancy, nature, divine, buffing, shapeshifter, eletric, stone, shadow, sumoning, spirit, and even some realy diferent concepts like close combat mage, with spells aplied on weapons or some new builds. USE CREATIVITY, thats the fun of being a mage.

For warriors, is more dificult to create talent trees, try to explore Fight Style Concepts like dual weapon, two handed, shieds, spears, martial arts, bow and arrow, etc...

Ad more tipes of players, warrior and mage only is too simple, people are tired of this two, try adding rougues, hunters, paladins, priests, druids, diferent stuff like shadow dancers, trapers, there is and lots of unexplored concepts.

The gameplay didnt pleased me, plz add the "wasd" keys, lots of people cant live without this, and add more impact on the fighting. when the monster take a hit, dont simply reduce his life and spill some red dots on the ground, HURT THE DAMMED THING, make him sufer when he is being cut or exploded off. Add more combat animation, the warrior normal blow is totaly weird, make him waste energy, BATTLE STANCE, swing it baby. And one more thing, no anoying voices to every blow or every skill.

Try to make an background history, dont need anything complicated, just give more personality to the character like a brave warrior, a funny rougue, a coward mage, or a clumsy barbarian. People get more involved with a storyline. But if you want only battle, try the Epic Battle Fantasy game on Newgrounds.

I Realy like the intro, main menu, and the mouse off screen pause sistem, nice work.

Thanks for the patience of reading this big text, i hope you find something usefull on this litle text, and remember, i didnt mean to ofend.

If you need more tips you coud send me a message.

I actually wanted to enjoy this game and I gave it a slice of my time that I will never get back. Bugs, to steal the phrase "this things got more bugs than a bait shop". I particularly like the Russian Roulette with the personal stats, you never know when a stat is going to randomly go up or down. Or better yet drop to zero. Yeah makes for a whole lot of fun. For these and other crippling bugs I must give it a 1 and half stars and advise people to not even try this unless you are a glutton for punishment and disappointment.