00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blozeoff just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of November 2020!

5,201 Views | 23 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Flash Forward Jam

On Friday we announced the Flash Forward Jam, where the goal is to make something interactive in Flash using AS2 (so it works via the current build of Ruffle) and share it on NG any time in January, after Flash has been removed from browsers. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new Flash, running in browsers! The prize pool is already over $1k and open for donations.

I’m putting the daily drawing tablet announcements on hold for a minute while we announce the Best of November!

Top Five Animation

The top-ranked animation based on original material and winner of $250 is Spooky Month, congrats @SrPelo!

Top Five Games

The top THREE games for November are being awarded $100 each. Congrats @ninjamuffin99 and the Funkin’ squad, @trixelbit and @ByEthanFox!

ByEthanFox has donated his $100 to SpecialEffect, a charity that puts fun and inclusion back into the lives of people with physical disabilities by helping them to play video games!

Runner-Up Animation

6. COOL TIMES: EN VIVO

7. Zelda Hero High (Ep 1) - Major-A's Mask

8. Among Us shots: CrewMate's Transformation

9. Nutty November

10. Ellen & the Court of Public Opinion

11. The PokeRap - OneyPlays Animated

12. The Legend of Scooby

13. Minecraft: The Incredible Story

14. Fields of Rape

15. Holly the Batgirl

16. Honey Sucker

17. HEY BOB

18. Butter Dog

19. The Frog's Call - Animated Short

20. Starting Point

21. Dark Rockin' Hood

22. The Boba Man

23. Thomas Feeds

24. The Koopa Kids 2

25. Dad Joke

26. C_R_A_M a lo-fi study playlist/film

27. Clash of the Clay

28. SCAN HAZARD

29. Play Attention

30. Among DIO

Runner-Up Games

6. Big Tall Small

7. Deck Adventurers - Chapter 1

8. ROOM ROOM

9. The Flower Arrangement

10. Nymble

11. Happy Happy Land

12. Closed Circuit

13. STARSHIP PROTOTYPE

14. Slimoban 2

15. The Hit On Hallows' Eve

16. Santa's Silent Night

17. Codeine Cowboys [v2]

18. Hexplore

19. International PixelArt Gallery V0.025web

20. Medieval Cop 10 - Part 1

We’ve expanded the upcoming prizes for the Best of December, thanks to a holiday donation from @AnonymousAlchemist! The best games based on original material this month will receive:

1st - $250

2nd - $100

3rd - $100

4th - $100

Thank you to our ongoing game prize sponsors, @AnonymousAlchemist, @Manderby, @53xy83457 and @CarterSterling.

If you would like to contribute to our prize fund, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

The voter of the month and winner of honorary Supporter status is @stevetherapper!

Thank you everyone who participated in November; 2020 continues to be a fun year on NG despite the outside world being not so great. This time spent isolating from COVID has made me think a lot about a quote from Jim Carrey: “Solitude is dangerous. It’s very addictive. It becomes a habit after you realise how peaceful and calm it is. It’s like you don’t want to deal with people anymore because they drain your energy.”

Community News

@Cleod-9 is hosting a Fraymakers Art Contest.

@Xinxinix is hosting a Secret Santa Art Trade.

@Everratic is hosting a Video Game Music Challenge.

@VoicesByCorey is looking for people who would like to join the 2021 Voice Acting Collab.

Be sure to check Tankmas ADVENTure daily to claim your gift! Lots of people are wandering around in there right now.

Pixel Day will be January 23rd and there will be prizes for the best animation, games, art and music.

We’ve announced 13 drawing tablet recipients so far and have many more to come. I’ll be getting back to that in the next post.

Don’t miss today’s edition of The Tank Tribune!

iu_205584_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 11:49:19

Can I make something similar to Harry Pothead for the flash jam?

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 11:49:59

Congratulations to all the winners!!!

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 12:01:03 (edited 2020-12-07 12:01:27)

i lov newgrounds and im very happy that so many people enjoy funkin it is a dream come true

and congrats to all the other winners!

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 12:03:54

At 12/7/20 11:49 AM, GotDamnitWegra wrote: Can I make something similar to Harry Pothead for the flash jam?

You can give it a try! I'd probably categorize that one as movie with interactive features.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 12:07:39

Heeey Congrats on the honorary @stevetherapper! :D Always fun with a familiar name in that spot!

Congrats to the winners too! Great stuff all over this month.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 13:04:31

Congrats to all the winners this month! Was a very exciting month for reviewing: not only did I get to play the much critically acclaimed FRIDAY NIGHT FUNKIN' (which did prove to be a funky time indeed, can't believe I had to wait a whole month to play it, but it was worth it) but I actually got to take a little break and work on other projects since there were only half as many games as usual to play through, haha (not that meant they were lacking in quality as there were plenty of stand out ones, so keep 'em coming!)

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 13:08:12

friday night funkin was snubbed. those guys put their heart and soul into that game and nobody played it. sigh...

Someday that ninjamuffin guy will make it big, I swear

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 14:17:21

"Guys.. I have this idea for a Thanksgiving parody. A "sequel" to Pass The Gravy that turns out to be subversive satire; a social commentary on patriotism, cancel culture, the pandemic, the election... all the polarizing politics of 2020!"

"Yea Pop, how about we make a movie about a butter dog?"

"Well that's just silly, Poly."

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 14:52:27

friday night funkin won??? kind of an outrage. starting to think this was rigged

insane killstreak totals

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 16:13:05

Well congrats to the winners. About Friday Night Funkin, I might try this game when I'm not busy, there are some users that are busy off of NG. Again congrats to the winners.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 19:46:56

Congratulations to the winners.

A couple of my favorites made it. But my #1 was definitely Fields of Rape. Definitely in my top 5 of the year.

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 19:58:56

Everyone loves the penis hammock.

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 21:48:06 (edited 2020-12-07 21:59:09)

Congrats to the winners! :) Starting Point was my personal favourite of the animations.

Creator of @NymbleGame | Classical musician turned game dev 🎶

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-07 21:51:12

This is great!! I didn't really believe my little game would end up up there along these really cool games. Thank you so much!!! <3

Now to make even more games, then, ahahahaha

hi! i make art and games. Hope you like them!

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-08 10:43:40

At 12/7/20 02:17 PM, Pop-Tart wrote: "Guys.. I have this idea for a Thanksgiving parody. A "sequel" to Pass The Gravy that turns out to be subversive satire; a social commentary on patriotism, cancel culture, the pandemic, the election... all the polarizing politics of 2020!"

"Yea Pop, how about we make a movie about a butter dog?"

"Well that's just silly, Poly."

Internal disputes among the clocks hmm. XD

That subversive satire and social commentary on patriotism, cancel culture, pandemic and election sure would've been intriguing too but Butter Dog... hmm... a subversive satire and social commentary on patriotism, cancel culture, pandemic and election starring the Butter Dog on narration/presentation/uncanny transformation? He's quite the udder god, maybe just the face we need to save this nation.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-08 10:46:57 (edited 2020-12-08 10:48:14)

At 12/7/20 07:46 PM, rtil wrote: Congratulations to the winners.

A couple of my favorites made it. But my #1 was definitely Fields of Rape. Definitely in my top 5 of the year.
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/771600

Thanks for bringing some more light to this. Really was amazing.

Slightly misleading title at a glance but maybe it's all intentional after all...

Wonder how that affected the rank though...

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-08 21:52:30

At 12/8/20 10:46 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/7/20 07:46 PM, rtil wrote: Congratulations to the winners.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/771600
Thanks for bringing some more light to this. Really was amazing.

Slightly misleading title at a glance but maybe it's all intentional after all...

Wonder how that affected the rank though...

hard to say. the rapeseed flower is very common but i'm sure many did a double-take at the title, maybe even more people than usual clicked on it than would if the title was something like "fields of flowers".

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-08 21:58:25

Wow we got some SOLID AF picks this month. I think the last time we had picks for both games and movies was like back in 2018 or 2019

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-09 06:01:46 (edited 2020-12-09 06:06:34)

At 12/8/20 09:52 PM, rtil wrote: hard to say. the rapeseed flower is very common but i'm sure many did a double-take at the title, maybe even more people than usual clicked on it than would if the title was something like "fields of flowers".

It is, we use rapeseed oil on the daily here for salads and similar, though personally I didn't correlate the flower to the title at all until I saw it. It caught my eye in the monthly selection but not enough to make me watch it then. First impression more like: that's an edgy title. Thumbnail seemed to match impression.

Not sure I would've clicked on Fields of Rapeseed either if it was called that though. In the end I suppose this goes to show how important a good thumbnail really is. One depicting one of the more iconic moments here might've really lured me in, but the current one didn't feel as compelling, seemed more so just grumpy and possibly aggressive.

People do be clicking though so maybe it is working to some extent... curious what made you watch it now? Do you maybe seek out oddities in particular, knowing they may surprise? More so frontpage or daily recommendations?

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-09 06:03:57

At 12/8/20 09:58 PM, Wegra wrote: Wow we got some SOLID AF picks this month. I think the last time we had picks for both games and movies was like back in 2018 or 2019

Agreed! Though we've always had both haven't we? You mean prizes?

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-09 15:29:30

At 12/9/20 06:01 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/8/20 09:52 PM, rtil wrote: hard to say. the rapeseed flower is very common but i'm sure many did a double-take at the title, maybe even more people than usual clicked on it than would if the title was something like "fields of flowers".
It is, we use rapeseed oil on the daily here for salads and similar, though personally I didn't correlate the flower to the title at all until I saw it. It caught my eye in the monthly selection but not enough to make me watch it then. First impression more like: that's an edgy title. Thumbnail seemed to match impression.

Not sure I would've clicked on Fields of Rapeseed either if it was called that though. In the end I suppose this goes to show how important a good thumbnail really is. One depicting one of the more iconic moments here might've really lured me in, but the current one didn't feel as compelling, seemed more so just grumpy and possibly aggressive.

People do be clicking though so maybe it is working to some extent... curious what made you watch it now? Do you maybe seek out oddities in particular, knowing they may surprise? More so frontpage or daily recommendations?

i saw it on the frontpage. the thumbnail stood out to me. when i saw the yellow flowers i knew.

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-09 16:08:44 (edited 2020-12-09 16:09:36)

At 12/9/20 03:29 PM, rtil wrote: i saw it on the frontpage. the thumbnail stood out to me. when i saw the yellow flowers i knew.

Concise and conclusive. :) Mmm, so maybe the thumbnail does work for those that recognize real art when they see it, animated or no; if but a glimpse of the bigger mastery...

Good to know!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2020! 2020-12-24 03:34:38

Congratulations to the winners. November 2020 had plenty of quality content. Such a great month.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature