00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Game Jam 9 Winners

15,537 Views | 32 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:28:58

For three weeks between June and July we had Game Jam 9 here on NG. The first week was an art round, where artists made fake screenshots of non-existent games. The next two weeks gave teams the opportunity to pick a screenshot and turn it into an actual game.

Here is a write-up on each game, with the top three winning prizes!

1st - $25 Store Credit for Each Participant

Inspired by Sky Gardening, Invazia has a great visual style and intense alien-fighting action. I enjoyed the crate upgrades and the ability to build additional defenses. Everything is really polished given the two week time limit. If this were expanded on it would be cool to have checkpoints or different levels with the ability to keep progressing forward vs a pure one-chance survival mechanic. Maybe the invasion starts on your farm but you ultimately work through the suburbs and the city to take on the growing alien threat.

2nd - $25 Store Credit for Each Participant

The source art by devilsgarage was one of my favorite art entries and I'm so happy Motor Joust was made based on it! Everything in here feels solid; great art, great retro audio (and voice!) and solid code, complete with a level editor that lets you build and share levels - impressive for a two week project! I was kinda hoping the jousting itself would be interactive but I like how it's determined by how well you perform on the track, generating that suspence when you are waiting to see if you get knocked off your bike or not at the end. I'll admit I'm really bad at this... Maybe it could be a little easier in the early levels or I just need to toughen up.

3rd - $25 Store Credit for Each Participant

Animal Wizard is based on Guy-Unger's screenshot and is very professional and polished in a lot of ways. It's also made with Unity! My gripe here is the mix of keyboard and mouse controls. I found myself frequently hitting the wrong thing, repeatedly reading signs and moving the camera out of view when I intended to just move the mouse cursor out of the way before doing some platforming. The Z key to undo is handy but also a hassle if you instinctively want to press Z to jump like a lot of games do. So much about this game is totally amazing, especially for two weeks of development. I think there is great potential with a tighter control scheme, preferably keyboard only if possible. For example, run with arrows, Z to jump, when you generate an object, use the arrows to move it around on the screen and Z to drop it down. Z to advance text and the Q key could be your undo button.

That's it for the prizes but be sure to check out the other great entries!

My post got too big so I broke them off into a second list:

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:29:32

I think some sort of mental rewiring happens in your brain as you play XCVB. It's probably a good thing, maybe it expands your thinking or something. I never had so many dexterity issues with four keys but as I got better at it I really loved what it was doing. This game was VERY loosely inspired by a screenshot by Havegum. VERY.

Giggi was inspired by devilsgarage's Kid Fighter screenshot, but instead of being a big blue guy who beats up kids, you're a big blue guy who works with kids to fight other stuff. I really enjoy the mechanic of collecting kids, charging and releasing them, reviving them and using them as a shield. It does get hard pretty fast, when sometimes a second enemy will get triggered before you defeat the one you triggered previously, so it helps to lure guys away from their spawn point to minimize that risk. I feel like this game has a ton of potential as a cool RTS RPG, something like Bladestorm meets Zelda.

Circle Adventure was inspired Izzy-A's Shape Adventures screenshot and it is now long overdue for a spot on the front page. Whimsicle and charming, with some mystery and intrigue. Now if these shapes could just be voiced by Stamper and JohnnyUtah...

Loosely inspired by the same screenshot that became Motor Joust, Psycho Cycle Smash could perhaps be described as "The Super Meat Boy of Bike Riding Games." It's simple and silly but also impressive that it was made by one guy during the same two weeks he made XCVB!

Based on insensitive art by Luis, Fat Fucks has you running your dinner to the finish line while collecting burgers and avoiding obstacles. Sound effects and in-game voice would have livened up the experience but my biggest complaint is that the map screen defaults to an arbitrary location and you have to slowly scroll to find your character. Still has plenty of charm though!

I have no idea what art inspired this game, in fact I have no idea what miJmitoo was thinking when he made this... But it brightened my day so that counts for something. It's like if Marc M from SickAnimation made a shitty game, this might be what it looks like.

Inspired by Luwano's screenshot, the graphics and duck sounds in the music are perfect. It's a very honorable effort give the timeframe, definitely tough to build a proper RTS in this short of a time. I think with some proper planning and implementation, you could have a hit game with these characters and audio. I could picture playing it on a tablet in the bathtub, if anyone does that... probably not. Need waterproof tablets.

Also inspired by Izzy-A's Shape Adventures screenshot, Shapes Odyssey has you jumping your way up towards the goal in each level. The epic music adds to the absurdity of the whole thing. This would be a decent touch game if it had an HTML5 remake!

Wooly Marenal RPG is based on Celshaded's screenshot. I gotta give it props for delivering lots of spoken dialog and a tutorial with such a short development cycle. If I could change one thing, I would speed up the repetitive battle interactions. For example the dice rolling when you attack and the fading in of your options after each turn could both be reduced so you don't have to watch them both so much.

I was assuming this was a pretty standard platforming engine until the isometric view was unveiled, which was pretty darn surprising and explained the inspiration screenshot. It did have some bugs and quirks that made progress difficult, though. Interesting potential!

People really liked the shapes theme! This is a silly platformer with shapes. Frame rate felt kinda low, was wondering if it was running slow on my computer or if more likely it was set to a low framerate. I liked it though.

I'm glad someone adapted the SeaKnight screenshot by LegolaSS! I felt like even when every shot I fired hit an enemy, the enemies still came out fast enough to run down my power meter... So death felt kind of inevitable but plenty of people did score higher than I could... Probably a balance of the single bolts and using the mega blast at the right times. I really like the octophant!

Inspired by test-object's screenshot, Dungeon Crawlers takes a moment to figure out, at which point it starts to feel pretty clever. It's still REALLY HARD but I feel like there is great potential here. It could benefit from something like a bullet-time function, or potentially let players stop the movement completely if the puzzles could get tricky enough, in terms of how your placement on one side will impact movement on the other.

No one else thought to adapt AustinBreed's example screenshot so I'm glad someone did, and made it online multiplayer no less! The amount of keys required is total insanity but I imagine it makes for hilarious online play... The people I joined with dropped connection... This still needs a shot on the front page. The tutorial alone is worth watching!

The last of the shape games had me crying for a double jump. The platform collision wasn't always accurate which made things extra punishing and as I write this, my vision is still screwed up from that bright purple background. I did get the medal though and I am amused.

Thank you everyone who participated in Game Jam 9!

Your participation is vital to making these events a success. I hope everyone had fun and formed some lasting bonds with their collaborators! If you're an artist or programmer looking to team up and make something, be sure to check out the Collabinator.

If more people had teamed up, maybe we could all be playing this right now.

Winners of the June Writing Contest have been announced!

Game Jam 9 Winners

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:35:06

At 8/5/13 03:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: This game was VERY loosely inspired by a screenshot by Havegum. VERY.

However arbitrary, I'm glad someone could find inspiration from my little thing.

Congrats to all the winners, and great job everyone who participated!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:38:23

Yeah the fake screen shot concept for a game jam is an awesome idea. I hope to see it again.

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:38:56

Whoa tom! that was exactly my idea! from the city and all that. its from another idea I had when i was 16 or something and wanted to mix that with invazia.

I'm so happy we won :D

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:39:58

At 8/5/13 03:38 PM, deathink wrote: Yeah the fake screen shot concept for a game jam is an awesome idea. I hope to see it again.

It would be great if game developers could be as rabid about NG Game Jams as they are about stuff like Ludum Dare nowadays. Imagine how nuts it would be if you could create a fake screenshot knowing that one or more of thousands of developers might adapt it to a game. Of course doing write-ups would get really hard at that point.

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:44:31

Got myself the supporters badge for the credits! :)
Btw, Tom, you should make virtual trophies, that one can get and place on their user page by winning competitions. Just like the daily or weekly winners. :)

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:48:57

At 8/5/13 03:44 PM, EcoPipe wrote: Got myself the supporters badge for the credits! :)
Btw, Tom, you should make virtual trophies, that one can get and place on their user page by winning competitions. Just like the daily or weekly winners. :)

We actually had a system for that close to completion but it fell off the face of the earth... Needs to be revived.

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 15:54:40

At 8/5/13 03:29 PM, TomFulp wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620900
The graphics and duck sounds in the music are perfect. It's a very honorable effort give the timeframe, definitely tough to build a proper RTS in this short of a time. I think with some proper planning and implementation, you could have a hit game with these characters and audio. I could picture playing it on a tablet in the bathtub, if anyone does that... probably not. Need waterproof tablets.

This game was inspired by my art... thanks for not mentioning. *cries*

Just kidding ;)

Thank you everyone who participated in Game Jam 9!

Thanks to you and of course AustinBreed for having these Game Jams. The theme was a real challenge for creativity.

I only wished more of the games based on test-object's screenshot would have seen the light of day.

Congrats to all the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 16:01:12

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 16:14:55

At 8/5/13 03:54 PM, Luwano wrote: This game was inspired by my art... thanks for not mentioning. *cries*

Whoops! Updated!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 16:16:05

At 8/5/13 04:00 PM, Amaranthus wrote: but you liked it, right?

Refresh and find out!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 16:22:41

At 8/5/13 04:14 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/5/13 03:54 PM, Luwano wrote: This game was inspired by my art... thanks for not mentioning. *cries*
Whoops! Updated!

Oh thanks a lot for adding the link. And that fast too. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 17:08:12

Jay my first first place! Congrats to the other participatns as well!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 18:17:48

Whoa, I did not expect to get to 3rd place! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the game, now I feel a little guilty not adding more to it after the jam (actual story and motivation to progress, more levels, boss fight). I'll have to put this on a higher priority to polish, after another jam I'm working on ATM :P (hint: something to do with FPS).

I was actually modifying the controls a bit to make it more 'arrow keys' friendly. I'll keep the suggestion in mind with making it possible to play with keyboard only.

Next time though I'm teaming up! That was a lot of work just getting the mechanics nailed!

Thanks guys, I enjoyed playing everyone else's entry a couple weeks back!

At 8/5/13 03:28 PM, TomFulp wrote: For three weeks between June and July we had Game Jam 9 here on NG. The first week was an art round, where artists made fake screenshots of non-existent games. The next two weeks gave teams the opportunity to pick a screenshot and turn it into an actual game.

Here is a write-up on each game, with the top three winning prizes!

1st - $25 Store Credit for Each Participant
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620903
Inspired by Sky Gardening, Invazia has a great visual style and intense alien-fighting action. I enjoyed the crate upgrades and the ability to build additional defenses. Everything is really polished given the two week time limit. If this were expanded on it would be cool to have checkpoints or different levels with the ability to keep progressing forward vs a pure one-chance survival mechanic. Maybe the invasion starts on your farm but you ultimately work through the suburbs and the city to take on the growing alien threat.

2nd - $25 Store Credit for Each Participant
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620910
The source art by devilsgarage was one of my favorite art entries and I'm so happy Motor Joust was made based on it! Everything in here feels solid; great art, great retro audio (and voice!) and solid code, complete with a level editor that lets you build and share levels - impressive for a two week project! I was kinda hoping the jousting itself would be interactive but I like how it's determined by how well you perform on the track, generating that suspence when you are waiting to see if you get knocked off your bike or not at the end. I'll admit I'm really bad at this... Maybe it could be a little easier in the early levels or I just need to toughen up.

3rd - $25 Store Credit for Each Participant
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620904
Animal Wizard is based on Guy-Unger's screenshot and is very professional and polished in a lot of ways. It's also made with Unity! My gripe here is the mix of keyboard and mouse controls. I found myself frequently hitting the wrong thing, repeatedly reading signs and moving the camera out of view when I intended to just move the mouse cursor out of the way before doing some platforming. The Z key to undo is handy but also a hassle if you instinctively want to press Z to jump like a lot of games do. So much about this game is totally amazing, especially for two weeks of development. I think there is great potential with a tighter control scheme, preferably keyboard only if possible. For example, run with arrows, Z to jump, when you generate an object, use the arrows to move it around on the screen and Z to drop it down. Z to advance text and the Q key could be your undo button.

That's it for the prizes but be sure to check out the other great entries!

My post got too big so I broke them off into a second list:

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 19:23:11

At 8/5/13 03:28 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Everything in here feels solid; great art, great retro audio (and voice!) and solid code, complete with a level editor that lets you build and share levels - impressive for a two week project! I was kinda hoping the jousting itself would be interactive but I like how it's determined by how well you perform on the track, generating that suspence when you are waiting to see if you get knocked off your bike or not at the end.

Yeah the levels were pretty tough, we didn't really allot enough time to level design, our fault and we're sorry; but we did try to pump out the best game we could and it turned out MOTHERFLIPPIN great yo!

Thanks for the win Judges! According to the system, my cozy new Meatboy shirt is in the mail. Glad i could do something for the computer.

TEAM MMP REPRESENT!

:or I just need to toughen up.

damn straight.

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 19:35:42

Congrats to the winners!

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-05 21:23:46

At 8/5/13 03:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620911
I have no idea what art inspired this game, in fact I have no idea what miJmitoo was thinking when he made this... But it brightened my day so that counts for something. It's like if Marc M from SickAnimation made a shitty game, this might be what it looks like.

Yeah, definitely was a really overly ambitious, underly managed game.
We had a team of 5, one of our voice actors and our musician went MIA, I was too busy to give input, and our team leader was doing both the art and the programming.
Definitely way in over our heads here.

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 01:08:39

interesting concept for the competition...grats to the winners

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 08:31:47

This was yet another great game jam, it was a lot of fun! The whole theme was absolutely perfect. I hope we can look forward to some more creative themes in the future.

At 8/5/13 03:48 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/5/13 03:44 PM, EcoPipe wrote: Btw, Tom, you should make virtual trophies, that one can get and place on their user page by winning competitions. Just like the daily or weekly winners. :)
We actually had a system for that close to completion but it fell off the face of the earth... Needs to be revived.

This. That is all.

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 11:36:10

At 8/5/13 09:23 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Yeah, definitely was a really overly ambitious, underly managed game.
We had a team of 5, one of our voice actors and our musician went MIA, I was too busy to give input, and our team leader was doing both the art and the programming.
Definitely way in over our heads here.

The results were still intriguing - what screenshot was it based on?

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 11:50:32

At 8/5/13 05:08 PM, SourJovis wrote: Jay my first first place! Congrats to the other participatns as well!

What does @Jay have to do with this?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 14:40:15

At 8/6/13 11:50 AM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/5/13 05:08 PM, SourJovis wrote: Jay my first first place! Congrats to the other participatns as well!

Emotional support.

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 15:43:19

At 8/6/13 02:40 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 8/6/13 11:50 AM, ZJ wrote:
Emotional support.

I do what I can.

And congrats to all the winners. To everyone else, good luck next time.

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 16:07:26

At 8/6/13 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/5/13 09:23 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Definitely way in over our heads here.
The results were still intriguing - what screenshot was it based on?

It was supposed to be based off of this

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 16:50:08

At 8/6/13 04:07 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: It was supposed to be based off of this

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 18:52:07

At 8/6/13 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/6/13 04:07 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: It was supposed to be based off of this
Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

I know, the resemblance is uncanny.

Should have said "loosely based"

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 20:46:03

At 8/5/13 03:35 PM, Havegum wrote:
At 8/5/13 03:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: This game was VERY loosely inspired by a screenshot by Havegum. VERY.
However arbitrary, I'm glad someone could find inspiration from my little thing.

Congrats to all the winners, and great job everyone who participated!

It was mainly the tight spaces you were explaining in your image that led to the inspiration

Founder of xcvb Studios

Creator of XCVB: XCVB

My Website: http://www.xcvbstudios.com

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 20:50:24

This jam was awesome. Loved the games that came out of it
One of my friends thought I'd be all lazy and shit if I was working solo for the jam. Jokes on HIM I made two freaking games in a little more than a week.
Then went straight into Molyjam 2, made a game for that and another in my spare time,
Then into Robot Day, made a game for that in a day.

Awesome month so it was

Founder of xcvb Studios

Response to Game Jam 9 Winners 2013-08-06 20:55:54

This jam was awesome. Loved the games that came out of it
One of my friends thought I'd be all lazy and shit if I was working solo for the jam. Jokes on HIM I made two freaking games in a little more than a week.
Then went straight into Molyjam 2, made a game for that and another in my spare time,
Then into Robot Day, made a game for that in a day.

Awesome month so it was

Founder of xcvb Studios