00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc13 - June - Results!

1,405 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-26 19:27:41

Heads up! Results are in!

I really enjoyed reading everyone's stories. It was definitely interesting seeing every one's take on a blind person's perspective, and there were some really creative entries in there too!

More importantly, it's an honor to be working on these contests, and to know that we're all motivating and pushing each other to write and learn. Some of the stories I REALLY enjoyed were ones that did not win, but had potential. This is because there's nothing more inspiring than seeing a novice writer with his humble beginnings on Newgrounds, and watching as they grow into amazing authors. This fostering of creative talent is what Newgrounds has always been about.
Special thanks to Deathcon for helping me out with judging, Tom Fulp for providing the prizes and the amazing voice actors of Newgrounds who agreed to narrate the winning entries.

Since we have a whopping 16 voice actors volunteering, I will announce the top 16 stories, with the top 3 getting $25 NG store credit.

1 - Cheri by Eastbeast

2 - Twist of Sensation by TheInnerScience

3 - The Revival of Sir Gindol by BoobMarley

4 - Analogies by RIGg0rMORtis

5 - Droste by mhzinski

6 - Tiresias by MrTheJazz

7 - Blind Date by hobowono

8 - Jupiter's Eye by Elixur

9 - The Blind Diaries by RedXBlood

10 - The Steel Tomb by Ragnar4200

11 - A Powerful Mind by Luke

12 - The Blinding Bosom by G1ber

13 - What My Eyes Can't See By by blackdragon24

14 - Come To My Senses by suprofound

15 - It makes no sense by Sceler

16 - Imagination by ian-inside-out

Personally, one of my favorite plots was What My Eyes Can't See By.

Reviews will be posted shortly. The "mini audio books" will be posted here as well as they are completed and finished.

If your story is one of the top 16, your voice actor might contact you asking for artistic direction. Feel free to collaborate together!

Hope everyone had fun! I'm certainly looking forward to the audio books thing, and if it turns out well, maybe this could be a regular thing!

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-27 00:49:34

Congratulations to everyone, and the top three!
Can't wait to hear these voice acted.

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-27 12:00:33

Wow guys, thanks a ton! I am very grateful. I look forward to contributing more to the writing portal in the future, as well as hearing everyone's audio stories. This was a fun contest I am glad I was a part of it! Wooo!

If the voice actors want to contact me about mixing or any additional direction they are more than welcome to. :) I wouldn't mind throwing in some additional sound effects and mixing to make it feel more audio book-esc.

Congrats to everyone!

Esty

Writing songs for cigarettes and credit would be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-27 19:04:10

Just finished reading everyone's entries (I know, slowpoke) and holy smokes!

I might disagree on the order of the top three, but I'd say the judges nailed the winners. Congratulations to everyone in the top sixteen and more importantly THANK YOU to the amazing people who took the time to read and grade all the submissions. Seriously, you guys hold the writing forum together.

Looking forward to the next contest and I'll be sure to use ALL the available time to actually tell a STORY versus just writing down thoughts.

Any ideas for the theme as of yet?

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-28 05:43:44

I'm really glad everyone had fun! Like I mentioned before, the reason I started running these contests is because I really enjoyed them in the past and they always motivated me to write.

And if anyone's wondering, no, we have not forgotten about the "Best Reviewer Award".

At 7/27/13 07:04 PM, Elixur wrote: Any ideas for the theme as of yet?

I would definitely love some open discussion about future themes. One idea I had is, well I haven't fleshed it out fully yet but, one thing I learned from reading Ekublai's writings is that, when the story is being told by a character in the world, how the character describes the environment and the people, and what this character sees may very say more about the character than the environment.

Basically, that the character's personality is reflected in his surroundings. A cynical person, and an overly optimistic character would describe the same scene very differently. What they notice and point out, what they see in people, etc..

I was imagining it'd be a sort of "interactive writing" thing, if you were asked to describe a character..without actually saying anything about him, purely through his description of his world and the scenes, and then the reader has to try and guess what the nature of this character is, and the writers would include like a short paragraph at the end of how they intended the character's personality to be like.

I'm not sure how viable or interesting this would be for a contest, but just thought I'd throw it out there. FBIpolux also suggested we have an "epic poem/song" contest.

So, thoughts and suggestions?

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-28 05:53:43

And since i'm sure people are wondering, here are the assigned voice actors for the entries. Feel free to contact your voice actor. I've PMed them all, not all have replied yet.

PiperAnn ----------> Cheri
Chongo ---------> The Revival of Sir Gindol
Alkaizer -----> Tiresias
PeteG --------> Twist of Sensation
Roseflare -----> Analogies
ForNoReason ---> Blind Date
StratVarius ----> Jupiter's Eye
codeblackhayate -----> A Powerful Mind
mrbipolar -----> The Steel Tomb
Saminat -----> The Blind Diaries
SkuhPlew -----> What My Eyes Can't See
DrewDryDen ----> Droste
WhoopiGoldberg ----> The Blinding Bosom
Butsaay ----> It makes no sense by Sceler
Enatyx ----> Come To My Senses by suprofound
orangeneve ----> Imagination by ian-inside-out

Reviews

Untitled by SpikeVallentine

I guess this was more of a joke entry. I can sort of feel you didn't put in too much effort, but for a joke entry, it's a nicely written.

------------------------------------------------------------

~ The blind lose sight ~ By James "jecjoker" Crumleye

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. It seems like a story told through multiple log-like entries? I guess it was too short to really feel any sort of progression, climax and ending. But this sort of writing was actually done in a previous contest, and ended up winning first place if you'd like to take a look!

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1331574/1#bbspost2450980 8_post_text

A Powerful Mind by Luke

I think it's nice that the character isn't depressed about his blindness, kind of refreshing to see. I felt that you didn't spend a lot of time researching how blind people went about their days (I assumed he'd be able to tell time and such things using audio-devices as most blind people tend to do) then again, this could be an intentional part of the story in that the boy was young and hence, not yet quite trained or bothered with such things.

The only language error I spotted was "reigning hell" which should just be "raining".

The ending, while predictable, had me hoping the boy would be saved, and gave me a warm feeling as all was well. I loved the part where the boy would misinterpret things happening around him as danger due to his blindness, and felt it could have been used more (although I could be a bit biased as I had written a while ago a story where a blind guy thought he was kidnapped and was fighting against his kidnapper, when he was just in a spacious room bumping into chairs)

It was overall nicely written though! It was an enjoyable read. I found myself excited to read your story after having read your other one in the last writing contest, and while this entry wasn't as mindblowing, it did not disappoint.

What My Eyes Can't See By: Daniel "blackdragon24" Fletcher

It's interesting that this is written more as a play with all these stage directions. I think it would have been much more vivid overall if it was written as a normal story and relied on actual descriptions. The wonky grammar and slang the characters talked in seemed authentic and fitting to their lifestyle.

This was certainly a really good attempt! The plot was certainly unexpected, although it came off as a bit far-fetched at first. I think if it were written better and made longer, it would have score much higher. I think the story has potential though.

I think the ending was too rushed. It tried to be profound but sort of failed at that. It just came out of nowhere. I feel you can't just focus on these specific details through the whole story, and suddenly sum up a lot of significant events in the final paragraph. Doesn't leave the reader very satisfied.

The Truth Behind Being Blind by Carbon64

It's not much of a story as much as it is a curt commentary, or a sort of conclusion to what would have been a story. Perhaps instead of clearly stating the message as a series of facts like that, coating it in a vivid and memorable story, that is enjoyable to read, and fascinating to think about, would be a much better way to making your message resonate with your readers

Jupiter's Eye by Elixur

I think it was a good idea that you started out NOT as a blind person, but as a person interested in blind people. Sticking to what you know is the best way to write a vivid story, rather than trying to be something you're not and missing out on all the details that make it real, because you haven't experienced them.

And as I read more of it, I had the feeling that this was a true story, at least, it was written very convincingly as such. One hand, the overall structure and writing felt more like an essay, on the other, the beautiful metaphors and vivid descriptions, and the very solid way in which this piece was written makes it a very beautiful story.

Untitled by LULZ64

Usually the length of a story is directly proportional to the quality of writing. This seems to be an exception though. I mean it seems like you *could* have written an interesting tale, but just gave up. I would definitely be interested to read a longer piece by you.

Also, I can't help but feel that there's a Metal Gear Solid reference in there.

Nothing is how it seems by ProgressStudios

A very short entry. There were some minor profreading errors here and there, and it did get a bit confusing in the middle, but I like how, even though it's short, it shows you how a mundane task such as getting up to get a cup of tea could be so frightening and mysterious (although you did lose me a bit with the metaphors).

I think it's pretty cool that you got this in despite being busy with the game jam, so kudos on that! I think if you had more time to expand on this and move about this man's day, to show how terrifying our daily tasks are to an old blind man, it would have turned out very nice!

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-28 06:03:02

Reviews Part 2

Drost by mhzinski

Well that was certainly an interesting twist! While reading I kept thinking "Hmm, well I guess the blindness here is Don.."
There were some minor proofreading errors, but they didn't really detract too much from the story. Examples:

Don didn't bother to turn around he wheelchair

do you best to keep him company

Don't worry if doesn't say nothing back to you

I think it was overall very well written, and the characters felt believable. The personality of the cynical and jaded Don whom we thought was the blind one contrasted nicely with the optimistic but fragile Tyler. Perhaps my only gripe was that I was expecting more. I was introduced to a conflict but not to a resolution. Or perhaps Don being introduced to someone more broken than he was, and shedding that tear, stirring that emotion, *was* indeed what we took away from this story.

GREAT SORROW by BrutalSurvivor

I don't think a blind person would have trouble aiming at his heart. I think the story could have been built up more. As it is, it's more like telling a stories of events rather than telling a *story*.

By that I mean, taking the time to describe things, how they feel, how they look, the environment etc.. makes the story much more vivid and enjoyable to the reader.

Your plot was clear and cogent though, and I think it's nice to see how such a seemingly random boy could end providing the much needed raison d'etre this man needed.

Second Thoughts by Jake coolkid87 Lafauci

You'd think they'd be wearing eye-goggles while handling such dangerous chemicals. I couldn't help but laugh at Tyler saying he could now "see what it was like to be blind". I'm not sure that was on purpose.

The questions at the end seemed kind of forced. Usually you'd want the story itself to inspire the reader to ask himself such questions rather than just listing them. I also expected Andrew to forgive him, given that he was such a good person and had never fought back. It seems out of character to suddenly want to spite Tyler, fully knowing what he was going through.

It was an interesting story nonetheless. To me the story kind of says how insignificant our lives are, and that people will just move on as they did once he withdrew from his social life and eventually passed away.

Tiresias by MrTheJazz

Ok, my first thought after reading this was "Wow".

I love the more comedic approach of this piece. It's a bit refresh compared to the depressing blind-person stories. I like how it's sort of a dialogue between the character and the reader. At one point, it felt like he really *could* hear me, like when he mentioned the magician's handkerchief, and I thought "Wait, how does he know that!" and the character immediately replied!

Up until the break in the story, it was just a cute tale about an old blind man talking to a kid, with the man having a unique philosophical view of the whole thing, how to him, everyone else was crazy for talking about things which to him, did not exist.

But holy crap, how it got so twisted at the end, and how he wasn't just a fragile old man, but a very dangerous blind serial killer.I think it's very interesting to see blind people in a position of power. Thanks for writing this, it was a great story!

Thief by LazyBoyGames

It's pretty short, but it's nicely written for what it is! And I think it's a nice, different perspective for the blind, because we always automatically pity them. I enjoyed that last line.

I definitely think you could have expanded on this idea more, it had the potential to score much higher.

The Blind Diaries by RedXBlood

I enjoyed the story. The character seemed quite real and believable, and enjoyed the descriptions, and the little details added a lot to it, such as the fountain and the school, and the internal reflections while crossing the street.

I felt he overreacted a bit when going blind, like that wasn't the reaction I expected, but then again, that just might be who the character is. I think the writing is good, there's nothing specific that's wrong with it, but I think it could be improved overall.

It was pretty depressing, it makes me wish he had found some solace or a purpose to keep on living. Although I am glad you didn't go with the generic route at least, of that solace being that "being blind lets me appreciate the small things", having such a grim ending I think, even if it felt a bit unsatisfying, was better.

I'm blind, MOTHERFUCKER! by Red-Halo

I found the story a bit weird. It made me smile at several points, especially at the part where he dons the wrong wardrobe. With that said, I couldn't help but think about how ridiculous the scenario is. I mean, how do you accidentally wear a bra? Even if you're blind, you're damn well going to know you're putting on a bra.

There were lots of other things that weren't believable, such as them having that fire fight *right* outside of prison, with absolutely no guards or anything around for some reason.

I know it's fiction but when the characters don't act believably it's unsatisfying for the reader. Like, have you ever watched a movie where the villain had many chances to kill the hero, but didn't just because, "that's how it was scripted". It doesn't feel good when things aren't justified, I think that's when we as readers stop relating to the story.

The Blinding Bosom by G1ber

It was very well written! And I certainly did not expect the ending, despite the glaringly obvious title. It was quite surreal too. Overall, a very enjoyable read.

It makes no sense by Sceler

The cutting of the eyes was certainly gruesome. I think this is the first story where the blindness is self-inflicted. It certainly sets the story apart, but it feels like a huge exaggeration. It was a sad story, but I did enjoy the descriptions and the character's internal reflections. It was nicely written.

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-28 06:09:14

Reviews Part 3

The Revival of Sir Gindol by BoobMarleyr

I love how you answered my prompt question "How does a blind man know when the cup is full" in your story. I really loved the part where it dawned on him that the main reason he enjoyed riding was because of the scenery, and without it, he suddenly hated it. It made me think about how, to me, a plane riding is very exciting, but for a blind man all he feels are the uncomfortable feelings.

It was overall beautifully written, and I really loved the ending. I like that it was not forced, nor was it spoon-feeding the reader. What's very interesting to me is that you were criticizing other people for using the cliche "being blind is depressing but actually neat and makes me grateful and more perceptive to what matters in life - goodness. The end", and that's pretty much what you did here. Except you weren't decreeing what the reader should feel or what they should conclude, you told a story and left us to choose to make that conclusion.

Imagination by ian-inside-out

The story was really short, but it was well written for what it is. I usually associate length with quality, but I think this story shows that brevity can be just as powerful as complexity or intricacy. The whole scenario and characters felt very real, and the dad trying to rationalize his handicap in a less morbid way to his daughter was an interesting read.

The Steel Tomb by Ragnar4200

That was certainly a wild ride! I like how you had the character mistake her blindness for the lights being out. Her reaction to it, and to discovering the truth all felt natural and relate-able. It was quite well written.

I noted however, that the part before opening the hatch and up to the point where we officially knew she was blind was much more enjoyable than the second part. Maybe because it contained all this mystery, and not knowing what was going to happen.

Twist of Sensation by TheInnerScience

It was masterfully written, as I have come to expect from your writings. I really enjoyed reading it. The characters were so vivid, and I could almost feel my emotions swaying along with theirs. It also shed light on a new idea to me. It showed me not only how hard it would be to live as a blind man, but also how hard it would be to live with a blind loved one. It seems like something intuitive, but I never stopped to think about it.

Blind Date by hobowono

Ok, I was so NOT expecting that. I completely did not expect him to be pretending to be blind, that was a first, but the fact that his blind date was medusa and he slayed her! That was such a mindfuck. Everything was going so slowly and smoothly, it was a very sad story about a blind man dating an ugly girl, but then BAM. That was awesome. Thank you for writing this.

Cheri by Esty (Eastbeast)

That was a beautiful story. I really enjoyed reading this. The character was very believable, and I love how her ego was justified. It wasn't just a case of a generic "Hey! Don't patronize me just because I'm blind".

I really really love the ending. I like how Cheri sort of changes throughout the story, and how the tables turn like that. I really loved this!

The rouse perfume by olvvvvlo

The writing could be better. I noticed several mistakes, I think your entry would have benefited from some proofreading. Usually minor mistakes aren't a problem but it ended up detracting from the quality of the story. Also, do you mean "rose" instead of "rouse" ?

With that said, the plot was interesting. I think the story has potential, you just need to try and master the elusive craft of writing to able to deliver your stories through a better medium.

Come To My Senses by suprofound

I really appreciated all the alliterations. The story was very solidly written, it had rich vocabulary. It all felt very poetic. It was rather short but it had me reading it several times. It could be just me but it came off to me as a bit abstruse.

The descriptions were very beautiful thought!

"Analogies" by RIGg0rMORtis

I liked the build up in the story, it kept getting bigger and bigger, unraveling the greater mystery slowly. The part where she had a flashback to her dad was really heartwarming. Writing the story in these sections, something like a research paper, was quite innovative (haven't had enough innovation since the Genre Hopping contest? :P)

The philosophy in the story was interesting, and I think the whole thing was a pretty good commentary on aliens.

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-28 06:12:54

EDIT

There was a switch with Chongo and Alkaizer. So:

Chongo --------->Tiresias
Alkaizer -----> The Revival of Sir Gindol

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-07-28 11:05:55

Congratulations to everyone who participated. You wrote something from start to finish, and whether you placed or not, that fact can't be taken away.

What's most important here is what you learned. What you took away from the experience. To those whom everyone said didn't try, if you indeed did, that's something to think about. It doesn't mean you're a bad writer but somewhere in your process there is a flaw that's holding you back.

To those that didn't do as well as expected, don't be discouraged. Every writer is proud of their pieces, every writer wants and expects first place. Only this time around you didn't get it. It's not that you're a bad writer, only that the judges for this contest found more within the words of another piece. Quite unlike a sport, there is no superiority in writing, only words, and everyone used the same ones. Remember that when you're writing and you want your story to be good and forget to make it true.

To those that won. An extra congratulations. You took a topic and met, often exceeded, the judges' expectations. But it proves nothing. Enjoy your victory, you deserve it. But always keep trying. Always keep pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone. Exploration is the only way you'll find yourself.

A commentary on my critique: I don't want to make excuses for myself but I had a rough week. My reviews contained more negativity than I wanted them to. I started positive, and you can see it in my better reviews, but as my week progressed, my bitchy side came out. You can see it in my harsher/boilerplate reviews. Everything I said is true, and I hope the writers can take a lesson from it, I only wish I would have been more encouraging.

I've spent a lot of time learning about The Craft, and more and more time doing it lately. I'm always ready to offer advice, and my PM inbox is always available. It may take me a while, but I will respond. I've always tried to be a resource to everyone here; as much a resource as a fellow student can be. Beyond that, help each other. The critique you feel is petty, or stupid, could help a writer more than you'll ever get the opportunity to know.

That last thing I want to say, and with the intention of sounding like a broken record player: Read! Always read. The life experience you lack, the technique you need, the sustenance to your creativity, lurks between the pages of other writers' stories. Be voracious in your reading, and tenacious in your writing.

Good luck.

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-08-06 17:23:44

Tom's issued the $25 store credit for the top 3 stories, as well as mentioned us in the last front page post. So you should have received your store credit now.

The voice actors are working on the recordings, although I still haven't heard back from all of them. Some dropped out, but I managed to find replacements, etc..

I'm not sure when/if we'll an August contest, mostly due to time constraints. I have some ideas for the writing forum, although I'd love it if we everyone could just share their thoughts about the future of the writing community on Newgrounds.

So yeah, if anyone has any creative ideas for contests or events, or thinks the writing contests suck and the forum is dying and have any criticism, feel free to shoot!

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-08-07 03:37:52

At 7/28/13 05:43 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: And if anyone's wondering, no, we have not forgotten about the "Best Reviewer Award".

Best Reviewer Award goes to mhzinski. His contributions went above and beyond what was expected of any participant or critic. His effort equaled that of the judges, with clear and constructive critique.

Notable mention goes to FlyingColours, who reviewed a handful of stories, and Kylpault, who got about halfway.

It should be noted that the Best Reviewer Award is something new to the MWC. Its purpose is to encourage reviews by adding incentive. mhzinski wasn't chosen because of his incisive wit and informed critique, he was chosen because he bothered to give each entry a read and review. In a contest with two judges, it's nice to have a third opinion, albeit informal. That being said, and to be explicit, we're not looking for quality of reviews, but quantity. If we do reach a point where multiple users have reviewed every story, then we'll go in and see which was the most helpful to the reader. "Helpful" will then be determined by the judges, but this'll more than likely be a criterion determined by the length of the critic's discussion with the authors how particular conclusions were drawn. It'll be subjective. So don't be discouraged if other critique mentions objective correlatives, unreliable narrators, perspective, etc. Even if your technique is weak or absent, your opinion can be just as, if not more, helpful to a writer.

To further expound, we will have a minimum standard for critiques. A single sentence response to a four post submission will more than likely be lacking. A bad review is, by far, worse than no review. We get back to effort. Put in the effort and it will be recognized in one form or another.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions. Until next time...

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-08-07 23:06:28

At 8/7/13 03:37 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Best Reviewer Award goes to mhzinski. His contributions went above and beyond what was expected of any participant or critic. His effort equaled that of the judges, with clear and constructive critique.

Hear, hear! In addition to his initial review, mhzinski was generous enough with his time to respond to a number of follow-up questions I had over PM's. Thanks again, dude!

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-08-08 08:33:45

At 8/7/13 11:06 PM, RIGg0rMORtis wrote: Hear, hear! In addition to his initial review, mhzinski was generous enough with his time to respond to a number of follow-up questions I had over PM's. Thanks again, dude!

Wow, that is very generous.

In the future, if something like this happens, please let it be known. While mhzinski was the standout choice, next time knowing this could be the difference. If someone goes to that length to help someone out, it should be counted.

Response to Mwc13 - June - Results! 2013-08-25 17:01:25

Aaaand I'm very excited to announce we finally have our first mini-audio-booklet for the winning entry!