00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

finalfridayss just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,275 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Computer Construction Crew 2008-10-15 22:00:42

A decent amount of newgrounders have built their own computers. Some, like me, are in a constant struggle to make their computers better. Some just want to learn how to get started. Gods willing, this club would provide a place for computer techies to:

-Flaunt what you have
-Share Overclocking Techniques with the populous
-Discuss upcoming tech and parts
-Help those who wish to build their own computer

To make things run smoothly, anyone who wants to participate should attempt to put some sort of link or description of their system in their sig, as I have.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-10-15 23:56:50

I like this idea.

Anyway, my specs:

Q6600 (2.4 OC'd to about 2.8, need a better heatsink or something)
ATI (ASUS) 4850 512MB Vid card (ASUS gave us some simple software for OCing is, I don't just because of how hot it runs now)
2GB Corsair RAM (DDR2 whatever)
ASUS P5W DH Delux

My mobo has a very simple way of letting me OC. I think I'm using one of the preset profiles that bump me up about 15% or 20%. I'm not sure, Haven't been in the BIOS in awhile.

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-10-16 04:20:22

Not bad. I've been eyeing the Q6600 for a bit myself.

Depending on how the profile overclocking works it sounds like you're using auto settings for voltages on your cpu. Auto settings tend to WAYYY overestimate the amount of power it takes to be stable. You could probably overclock a decent amount higher on the same voltages and still be stable. Just make sure you take all the voltages off auto first.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-10-16 08:01:32

well i built my own computer with some help from my friends anyway i have no idea what i should say lol

WHOA WHAT A SPEEDY RESPONSE GET A SIG YOU WUSS

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-16 16:37:00

I've been wanting a new computer for a while. Right now I have a stock Acer Aspire 5000, which has served me well for 3 years, but it's time to upgrade.

Is this computer worth the price? I'd need to buy a monitor, but to me that looks like a pretty good deal.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-16 18:13:17

You got it :3

Intel Celeron 2.2ghz
512 mb Kingston ram I believe
ATI 7500 PCI 512 mb

Not really sure of other specs, bask in the glory of FAIL COMPUTER!!!

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-16 18:47:40

At 11/16/08 04:37 PM, Rig wrote: I've been wanting a new computer for a while. Right now I have a stock Acer Aspire 5000, which has served me well for 3 years, but it's time to upgrade.

Is this computer worth the price? I'd need to buy a monitor, but to me that looks like a pretty good deal.

For that price, you can get a decently tricked out dell inspiron that would perform much better. Of course, if you have the time to research, it's always better to build than to buy. What would you need the computer for?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-17 17:55:39

At 11/16/08 06:47 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: For that price, you can get a decently tricked out dell inspiron that would perform much better. Of course, if you have the time to research, it's always better to build than to buy. What would you need the computer for?

Music production, actually. I want two screens, plenty of ram and plenty of processing power. Moderate disk space - I don't need terabytes upon terabytes.

Yet. Some plugins require separate slave machines, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

My ideal setup would be a 3 GHz dual-core system with 4 gigs of RAM and 1 TB of space spread over 3 drives or so.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-17 21:56:12

At 11/16/08 04:37 PM, Rig wrote: Is this computer worth the price? I'd need to buy a monitor, but to me that looks like a pretty good deal.

You could defiantly get a much better deal if you were to build it yourself. Much better parts for the same price and all that.
The only problem with building it yourself is just that. You're building it yourself. However, even if you have no idea what to do, it is not hard to learn. Most things will only go in one way, and can only go in one place. When you think about it, it's not that hard!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 00:24:56

At 11/17/08 09:56 PM, Aksumka wrote: The only problem with building it yourself is just that. You're building it yourself. However, even if you have no idea what to do, it is not hard to learn. Most things will only go in one way, and can only go in one place. When you think about it, it's not that hard!

I've always had a knack for putting things together, so I'm comfortable with that. I just don't know where to get the stuff for the best price, you know? I've been swindled before. Where's a good place to get decent equipment at a good price? Would I be able to get that ideal setup of mine for <$1000?

Also, I've been hearing some good things about the new i7s, but they look a bit expensive right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 01:15:34

At 11/18/08 12:24 AM, Rig wrote: I've always had a knack for putting things together, so I'm comfortable with that. I just don't know where to get the stuff for the best price, you know? I've been swindled before. Where's a good place to get decent equipment at a good price? Would I be able to get that ideal setup of mine for <$1000?

Most people will probably recommend NewEgg.com. All my stuff was purchased from (through?) them. Not once did I have any problems with them.

I also recently built a system for two of my friends. That system came out to just under a grand (after rebates I think). The specs were about:
3 GHz Core 2 Duo (8400?)
4 GB ram (corisair something)
ASUS mobo (P5W? something or other)
ATI 4850 (512MB) ASUS vid (same one I have)
And everything else....

Also, I've been hearing some good things about the new i7s, but they look a bit expensive right now.

Oh yea. If you're looking to keep to a budget it would be best to either wait a few months, or buy the still great proc's out now for cheap.

i'd help more, but i really need sleep...

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 01:17:16

In a slightly distant future, I wanted to buy a new computer and mod it to my desires, I'm taking IT classes in college now, so I'm well on my way to making the right decisions. I also want to try and self process, a processing ship, I know the basics of Assembly language, and the gates that a chip shares along with the 8-bit codes, flip flops and all that, I'll also be getting into a computer repair class this summer.

On a side note, this crew needs rules. I like it, so I want it to stay, in order to keep it from suffering from a technicality, please add them in.

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 16:50:05

At 11/18/08 01:15 AM, Aksumka wrote: Most people will probably recommend NewEgg.com. All my stuff was purchased from (through?) them. Not once did I have any problems with them.

Thanks for the site. I've come up with a potential build, it would be great to get an opinion on it. I want it to be cool and quiet, with plenty of wattage for future expansion.

Power supply: Rosewill RX950-S-B
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz

Those two are a combo deal currently on NewEgg, scroll down...

Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775
Primary drive: Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB
Secondary drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB
Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video: ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/512M GeForce 8600 GT 512MB
Case: XCLIO Windtunnel

With rebates, it comes to $959.89. Thoughts?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 16:54:32

At 11/18/08 04:50 PM, Rig wrote: With rebates, it comes to $959.89. Thoughts?

Forgot to mention the disc drives. LITE-ON Black x2.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 17:10:34

At 11/18/08 04:50 PM, Rig wrote: Power supply: Rosewill RX950-S-B

Have heard ENDLESS horror stories about this brand, try looking at an Antec, Corsair, or Silverstone PSU.

YESZ!

Those two are a combo deal currently on NewEgg, scroll down...

No problems here. Although I can't say much about ASUS, it's a top of the line board and performs well from what I've heard. Maybe too much for your needs, since it's geared at high-end gaming and overclocking. Be careful that you have the right connectors for the on-board sound, that is, if you plan on using it.

I would suggest 3 large (320-500GB) drives in a raid 5 configuration. This gives you the benefit of FAST data reads/writes and also redundancy in case one of the 3 drives fail.

Music production would probably be one of the few applications that would flourish with 8 gigs of memory. DDR2 800 would suit you fine.

As for graphics/sound, if you don't plan on being able to game at all, an integrated GPU will save alot. However, If you're looking at Nvidia graphics cards, go EVGA brand, you will NOT be disappointed.

Lol, that's my case! Probably way too big for you, possibly look at an Antec 900?

With rebates, it comes to $959.89. Thoughts?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 17:13:13

At 11/18/08 01:17 AM, knuxrouge wrote: this crew needs rules. I like it, so I want it to stay, in order to keep it from suffering from a technicality, please add them in.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
------------------
CLUB RULES
-IF YOU PLAN ON BEING A REGULAR, you must:

Be at somewhat knowledgeable about computers, or at least willing to learn.
Have a link or description of your computer in your sig. This makes it easier for others to know what kind of system you own, instead of sifting through posts upon posts to find your specs.

-IF YOU COME HERE LOOKING FOR HELP on building your own computer, be specific on what you want and expect from it. (Budget, performance, purpose, etc.) Be prepared to do research of your own, as we will not build the system for you, only send you in the right direction, providing help if you need it.
DO:

Hey everyone, I love gaming but my computer just hasn't been keeping up lately. I want my new computer to be high-end, and able to tackle any game I throw into the thing. It needs to be future proof, allowing for new parts and upgrades to be added for at least the next 5 years or so. I've always hated long load times, so if it's possible I want to get rid of those. I also want it to be something that turns heads, not just a chunk of black plastic. I have about 1500 dollars to spend on this. Any help is appreciated.

DON'T:

Hai need a gaming cumpooter kthnx lololol

-BE RESPECTFUL. This is of course a given as any rudeness or flaming will not be tolerated.

-DO NOT BRAG. Building and owning a custom computer is half knowledge, and unfortunately, half wealth. Never boast that your computer is better than someone else's, because they may not be able to afford the high-end parts you have. Many don't have the cash to stay on the bleeding edge, so if you're a lucky one, don't gloat. Going, "LOLOL I HAVE MOAR UBAR RIG" is nothing but trolling.

-IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS OR ASK ABOUT A NEW OR UPCOMING PART, provide a link so those who haven't heard of it can read up on it. Even if they were previously unaware of it, that does not mean they cannot provide intelligent input on it.

-HAVE FUN
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

I proof-read this three times, but knowing me, I probably missed something.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 17:14:45

At 11/18/08 05:13 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: I proof-read this three times, but knowing me, I probably missed something.

Yup. Borders messed up.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 17:29:34

At 11/18/08 05:10 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 11/18/08 04:50 PM, Rig wrote: Power supply: Rosewill RX950-S-B
Have heard ENDLESS horror stories about this brand, try looking at an Antec, Corsair, or Silverstone PSU.

There's plenty of good reviews on NE, but I'll check out those other ones too. It's just that it's a great deal if I get it with the Core 2 Duo below.

YESZ!

teehee :3

No problems here. Although I can't say much about ASUS, it's a top of the line board and performs well from what I've heard. Maybe too much for your needs, since it's geared at high-end gaming and overclocking. Be careful that you have the right connectors for the on-board sound, that is, if you plan on using it.

Gotcha. I'm thinking about overclocking, actually. 4 GHz sounds so sexy.

I would suggest 3 large (320-500GB) drives in a raid 5 configuration. This gives you the benefit of FAST data reads/writes and also redundancy in case one of the 3 drives fail.

I've been thinking about RAID - I might use that for my audio/VST storage. But I want to have a dedicated drive for my OS and DAW software.

Music production would probably be one of the few applications that would flourish with 8 gigs of memory. DDR2 800 would suit you fine.

I've heard of problems with XP and 8 gigs - apparently, XP can't read 8 unless you tweak it somehow, I dunno. But 8 would be ideal.

As for graphics/sound, if you don't plan on being able to game at all, an integrated GPU will save alot. However, If you're looking at Nvidia graphics cards, go EVGA brand, you will NOT be disappointed.

I'm not as interested in gaming as I am in having multiple monitors. Also, I heard that Vista (if/when I upgrade) doesn't like having different brands if I want to do several video cards at once. I figured that the best bet was too keep ASUS all around.

Lol, that's my case! Probably way too big for you, possibly look at an Antec 900?

Hey, that looks good. Small, yet packed with fans. :D

Thanks for your help, I'll look at some more builds with your recommendations. Also, nice rules.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 17:58:23

At 11/18/08 05:29 PM, Rig wrote:
At 11/18/08 05:10 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
Gotcha. I'm thinking about overclocking, actually. 4 GHz sounds so sexy.

The only thing I'd say about OCing is you really need to keep that crap cool. The stock cooler with intel's proc's generally sucks. I would never think of using it if I planned on OCing.

Something you should keep in mind.

Also, I know you just want to use dual monitors, but that vid card is a bit weak. For not much more you might be a bit happier.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-18 21:53:17

At 11/18/08 05:29 PM, Rig wrote: I've heard of problems with XP and 8 gigs - apparently, XP can't read 8 unless you tweak it somehow, I dunno. But 8 would be ideal.

It's the memory mapping; you need a 64-bit OS to use more than 4 gigs of ram in a system. With that said, it's better to go vista. Truth be told, it's a rock solid operating system, and I've never had even one OS related BSoD.

Also, nice rules.

I know, they're just amazing.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 03:07:46

At 11/18/08 09:53 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 11/18/08 05:29 PM, Rig wrote: I've heard of problems with XP and 8 gigs - apparently, XP can't read 8 unless you tweak it somehow, I dunno. But 8 would be ideal.
It's the memory mapping; you need a 64-bit OS to use more than 4 gigs of ram in a system. With that said, it's better to go vista. Truth be told, it's a rock solid operating system, and I've never had even one OS related BSoD.

I've heard both good and bad things about Vista, and I don't doubt that it's a solid OS. But I have drivers and software that just isn't as stable in Vista as in XP - most producers are still sticking with XP until the hardware companies make dependable software.

So a 64-bit XP system would work with 8 gigs?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 04:27:23

I kept all of your suggestions in mind with this latest build. It's Canadian pricing, by the way.
Once I can afford it...:D

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 07:33:57

This is my first build and this is what I've got so far.

lol cheap

I'll take any suggestions on how to improve it for less than $100.00 than it already is.

Thanks for the sig, carbonwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 11:01:58

At 11/19/08 04:27 AM, Rig wrote: I kept all of your suggestions in mind with this latest build. It's Canadian pricing, by the way.

Yikes, you'd be a crazy man to go with an 8800gts 640mb. The 8800gts (512mb) have a different architecture and work much faster even with less ram. I would suggest the 8800GTS (G92) over the one you have if you want to stick with an nvidia product. However, for the same price, you could get a ATI 4850, which out performs both.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 11:04:56

At 11/19/08 04:27 AM, Rig wrote: I kept all of your suggestions in mind with this latest build. It's Canadian pricing, by the way.

There has to be something wrong here. XP should not be selling for that much.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 12:29:28

At 11/19/08 11:04 AM, Aksumka wrote: There has to be something wrong here. XP should not be selling for that much.

It's been a hot item ever since Microsoft stopped printing it.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 16:06:16

Rig:
That version of XP is presumably 32-bit, being it doesn't specify if it is or not. XP64 exists, but it was hard to find back when I was building my system, and will be more or less impossible to buy now. Even so, XP64 has the worst driver support of any windows version EVER, meaning various programs, hardware, and peripherals will not work with it. Better to just get Vista, ever since Service pack 1, it's had much better compatibility with things in general.

FalconPunch:
I would takea look at full ATX size boards. Bigger, better boards all around for 70-100 more. Other than that, order that bad boy!

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 16:11:17

I'll join.

I don't know how to build a computer yet, and I think if I attempted to do so I'd fuck something up.

However I do have a decent knowledge about computers and overclocking.

My RIG:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Brisbane @ 3.3 GHz [3.1 GHz Stock]
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro
GFX: Nvidia Geforce Palit 9600 GT 1GB @ 735/1810/2130 stock 700/1750/2000 (lame o/c but anymore and I get errors while playing cod4)
RAM: 2 x 1 GB DDR2 800 MHz PATRIOT
PSU: Modecom Feel 500 W

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-19 21:02:08

At 11/19/08 04:06 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: FalconPunch:
I would takea look at full ATX size boards. Bigger, better boards all around for 70-100 more. Other than that, order that bad boy!

Do you have any recommendations? I don;t seem to be having much luck with finding any.

Thanks for the sig, carbonwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-20 05:31:28

Just use advanced search and put in ATX form factor on Newegg.