TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 1/21/09 04:47 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 1/21/09 03:27 PM, TacoFreak wrote: I have 32 bit XP so not sure if it will work...
You're joking.. right?

No...

32 bit XP home edition and I fucking love it.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 04:55 PM Reply

Fuck I misread what you said. It will work though, right? I wanted to be sure...

So are those headsets any good?

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 05:44 PM Reply

At 1/21/09 04:55 PM, TacoFreak wrote: So are those headsets any good?

Haven't ever had them but it looks as though they're a wise choice if you're really into gaming. I'm completely with buying large headphones. Not one has failed on me as oppose to the COUNTLESS amount of in-ear buds that have broke from day one and had provided inferior audio quality along with awkward feel in my ear.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Which one of those should I get then?

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 1/21/09 05:51 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Which one of those should I get then?

Which ever one you can afford. They're both fine. But as I was saying earlier but forgot to mention the name, my Sony MDR V-150s, do me justice. They're $15! on that site, clean - simple - cheap and above decent sound IMO. But no mic so you're probably not interested.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 11:05 PM Reply

Fuck this, seriously.

I've read some reviews and I heard that after an hour or two they get uncomfortable, and I don't want that. When I look at other headsets they are either with a shitty or no mic and/or are overpriced.

I'll lurk some more and tell you guys if I find a good headset.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 11:33 PM Reply

Okay I think I'm gonna get these. Cheap and good. Some people say they break easily, but that's what everyone says no matter which headphones.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 22nd, 2009 @ 05:38 AM Reply

For me, online reviews just scare you out of buying a product. When I went through with my order, I read a few bad reviews and was "Oh shi-"ing myself all the way until the first boot up. Just go with your gut feeling about which headphones you think are the best.

However, if you want good quality, look into Bose headphones. Those things are the real deal. They would be on my ears right now instead of these things. Although, these are my headphones and I've never had a problem with them in any way. Cheap too.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 22nd, 2009 @ 09:20 AM Reply

That's what I hate about reading reviews, the negative ones.

Anyways, I've got a good feeling about those headphones and they are damn cheap. They don't come with a mic but it's okay I guess cause I don't use it 90% of the time and I can just put on my old headset to talk until I get a clip on mic or whatever.

Although I'm not sure if those headphones are good for gaming, I'm sure they are but I've heard a lot of this 5.1 gaming headset bullshit.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 22nd, 2009 @ 05:29 PM Reply

BFG, the manufacturer known notably for making Graphics cards, are now entering the high-end gaming rig market.

BFGSystems.

Personally, I would never buy one as I could do a better job with a custom computer but they're still pleasant to the eye.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 22nd, 2009 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 1/22/09 05:29 PM, PolishMatt wrote: BFG, the manufacturer known notably for making Graphics cards, are now entering the high-end gaming rig market.

BFGSystems.

Personally, I would never buy one as I could do a better job with a custom computer but they're still pleasant to the eye.

4000 for a 2500 system. EEET BURNZ!!!

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 23rd, 2009 @ 07:27 AM Reply

I've formulated a plan for my graphics card. I'm going to take the heatsink off, and reapply thermal paste. That should make it run MUCH cooler. Also, to anyone saying that EVGA isn't awesome, they are releasing a tool for EVGA cards only that will allow you to modify the voltage on your graphics card, for a better OC.

Also, for my reapplying of TIM, does anyone know where I could pick up thermal conductive pads locally?

Proottalfain
Proottalfain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 23rd, 2009 @ 02:23 PM Reply

Hi guys, hope you can help me with my problem

I have a PCI wireless adapter that causes me BSODs. I know it's it because the BSODs refer to its .sys file, and also I noticed an increase of BSODs when I was seeding torrents. I've checked the manufacturer for drivers, and downloaded the latest driver. But it seems that it does not fix the problem. So I think I'll have to buy another one. My current one. Do you have any recommendations for a PCI wireless adapter? I currently have a G network, but I'd like to buy one that supports N too, so that I won't have to change my PCI adapter when I change my router.

Motherboard: Asus M2N-E

My signature was old so I changed it.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 24th, 2009 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 1/21/09 11:55 AM, TacoFreak wrote: Opinions and any good headsets that I can get? Price range around 100 dollars.

The Audio Forum is a good place to ask. I don't know much about headphones, but a lot of people there do.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 24th, 2009 @ 09:18 PM Reply

At 1/23/09 07:27 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: I've formulated a plan for my graphics card. I'm going to take the heatsink off, and reapply thermal paste.

If you are going to do it on a EVGA that has a full model casting, you can severely damage the card by removing the casing to get to the heat sink.

That should make it run MUCH cooler.

There is already thermal past there, they wouldn't be stupid enough to put a heat sink straight on a GPU. And GPUs don't get warm enough to actually hinder their performance unless you have a Rig for 10 grand and are able to OC it to a point where it needs more cooling.

Also, to anyone saying that EVGA isn't awesome, they are releasing a tool for EVGA cards only that will allow you to modify the voltage on your graphics card, for a better OC.

They already release it and I got it. It's just a simple tool, there is a program called RivaTuner that does a even better job and it has been available for years now.

OCing.

You obviously never done it so I will just warn you that it's hell a lot more complicated then OCing a CPU. There is the Core, Shader and Memory that you have simultaneously worry about. You should also get a copy of 3DMark06 to do a test on the new OC configuration every time you change it and look for artifacts in the video.

Also, for my reapplying of TIM, does anyone know where I could pick up thermal conductive pads locally?

We don't know where you live and you can pick it up at any computer store.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 25th, 2009 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 1/24/09 09:18 PM, PolishMatt wrote: If you are going to do it on a EVGA that has a full model casting, you can severely damage the card by removing the casing to get to the heat sink.

EVGA provides full instructions for the removal of their heatsink and doesn't void the warranty unless you physically damage the HS or PCB.

There is already thermal paste there, they wouldn't be stupid enough to put a heat sink straight on a GPU. And GPUs don't get warm enough to actually hinder their performance unless you have a Rig for 10 grand and are able to OC it to a point where it needs more cooling.

I know they wouldn't, but the stock applications are usually horrible, and people I've talked to have sometimes seen 15 C drops under load after replacing the paste. My card seems to run hot so I may be one of those people. I own a single Gtx 280, but no, I don't have a 10 grand system, I built it for 1800.

They already released it and I got it. It's just a simple tool, there is a program called RivaTuner that does a even better job and it has been available for years now.
I actually didn't know that. :(
You obviously never done it so I will just warn you that it's hell a lot more complicated then OCing a CPU. There is the Core, Shader and Memory that you have simultaneously worry about. You should also get a copy of 3DMark06 to do a test on the new OC configuration every time you change it and look for artifacts in the video.
I know the basics, and I have OCed my gpu before, using EVGA's dumbed down Rivatool :D. Link shader to core, bring core up by ten, test, repeat until it artifacts. When it artifacts, draw it back 15 aaannnd stable. Unlinking the shader can then allow you to bring the core up a little more. Then apply the same to the memory.

It gets a little more complicated when you add the voltage tool, but as long as you know the safe limit on voltage, and can keep temperatures nice, you can get a huge overclock. It's times like this when LC seems so attractive.

OC it to a point where it needs more cooling.

I may have a refurbished 1600p monitor on the way, so I'm going to need everything I can get from this already massive GPU.

My only regret is that I got scared off by Rivatuner when I was still a junior overclocker. While I'm happy with the simplicity in EVGA's tool, I can't have the best of both worlds since the programs have a noted conflict with each other, and EVGA precision is a one time download.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 25th, 2009 @ 12:41 PM Reply

At 1/25/09 08:33 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: EVGA provides full instructions for the removal of their heatsink and doesn't void the warranty unless you physically damage the HS or PCB.

Mind actually showing me in some paper work or a page on their site, I find this a tad too hard to believe. Unless you're talking about their old gpus that don't have the full body casting over them.

OC it to a point where it needs more cooling.

I OCed my 9800GTX (Not too shabby of a card) to it's limit and the core temperature only went up 3 Celsius.

I may have a refurbished 1600p monitor on the way, so I'm going to need everything I can get from this already massive GPU.

1600p? You're getting a 30" Dell? That's a bit of a overkill, even for my standards. It's more a fordable to get two 24"s. You get more screen real estate and pay a quarter of the price.

1920x1200 x 2 = 4608000 Pixels. 320$ x 2
2560x1600 x 1 = 4096000 Pixels. 2000$ x 1

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 25th, 2009 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 1/25/09 12:41 PM, PolishMatt wrote: 1600p? You're getting a 30" Dell? That's a bit of a overkill, even for my standards. It's more a fordable to get two 24"s. You get more screen real estate and pay a quarter of the price.

The key word is refurbished, and also not a dell, but an LG. I was able to pick it up for 700 shipped, normally 1100, and that's an irresistible offer. Plus, dual monitors isn't really my style. Keeping an eye on the newegg page eventually payed off I guess.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 25th, 2009 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 1/25/09 01:51 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: The key word is refurbished, and also not a dell, but an LG.

I have bought a lot of refurbished electronics in my short life already and one thing I have learned is that the gadget typically doesn't live past a month, at times even a week. They're always more than happy to replace the product but it's not until you hit the 4th replacement where it actually works as advertised.

BBS Signature
crazysalt
crazysalt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 27th, 2009 @ 07:45 PM Reply

ok guys after a few days of contemplating here is the build:

1.)CASE Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811129058

Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16814127397
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16822136150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16820231166
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16812232002

so far I have ordered vista ultimate 64bit with the mobo and the processor due to the fact of eminent discontinuation and good deals. But the rest is still to come so i will be ordering soon and you all will be getting a photo journal- ish thingy of the build but taco freak, man will you get on msn once in a while.......

other than that what do you think of the build??

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 1/27/09 07:45 PM, crazysalt wrote: other than that what do you think of the build??

-There is no i7 which is a major let down. Investing 100$ on top of the price you're paying for your current Quad, would of given you an super awesome processor, even if it requires DDR3 - though it's becoming more common and I personally believe it's time up move on from DDR2.

-I'll just state the obvious and say that Microsoft's Winodws 7 is coming out and it's going to kick the living shit out of Vista (I love Vista and I use it), so by not even pirating it and just buying it, you're going to get left behind now when they release it around May or June.

-You have a really beautiful set up, but also a very electricity hungry one indeed. I would actually go on to say that the 750Watt PSU could be a boarder line size for the your rig. And if you ever plan on doing a crossfire with your current Radeon HD 4870, then you will have to definitely get a new PSU.

-Why not invest 25$ more and get an extra 250GB or 50$ more on both and create a RAID0 of 2TB instead of 1.5TB. WD is a good choice, they make the best HDDs around.

-You're getting a mid-tower? Even with all this? Get a full tower. It doesn't look fancy, but it's not suppose to and there are no included fans which isn't a big deal for most. Most importantly it's huge and will be capable of handling any RAID set up you throw at it and still provide lots of room for your other stuff. Full Tower.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 1/28/09 02:38 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 1/27/09 07:45 PM, crazysalt wrote: other than that what do you think of the build??
-There is no i7 which is a major let down. Investing 100$ on top of the price you're paying for your current Quad, would of given you an super awesome processor, even if it requires DDR3 - though it's becoming more common and I personally believe it's time up move on from DDR2.

He was actually starting off with a dual core. An i7 may be out of his budget range...

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 1/28/09 05:10 PM, TacoFreak wrote: He was actually starting off with a dual core. An i7 may be out of his budget range...

As I said, it's just 100$ more, the mobos for them costly roughly the same as the one he wants to buy anyways. Investments, people!

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 07:48 PM Reply

Polishmatt, I couldn't have given him better advice myself for the mostpart. The only thing is your case recommendation. For 30 dollars more, he can get an antec 1200, which is THE enthusiast case. Only recently are cases like the Coolermaster HAF besting it, but those are closer to 200 anyway. For the price it's at now, he should definately go 1200 for a full tower.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 07:56 PM Reply

Can someone explain why some guy with the exact same processor as me can hit 3.4 Ghz on 1.425 CPU core but I need 1.45 for it (to even boot)?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 08:08 PM Reply

At 1/28/09 07:56 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Can someone explain why some guy with the exact same processor as me can hit 3.4 Ghz on 1.425 CPU core but I need 1.45 for it (to even boot)?

Processors have different batch numbers. Ones of the same batch will perform similarly, but even within the batches there will be differences, because every one is unique. Similarly, some people can get their 8500s to 4.275ghz on 1.35, but I need 1.4175.

crazysalt
crazysalt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 1/28/09 02:38 PM, PolishMatt wrote:

sorry but i dont have the money to do that and i just feel its overkill....

-I'll just state the obvious and say that Microsoft's Winodws 7 is coming out and it's going to kick the living shit out of Vista (I love Vista and I use it), so by not even pirating it and just buying it, you're going to get left behind now when they release it around May or June.

i know that there was the option to just steal it but its just to much of a risk and my father is overlooking the build so he would get angry at me.... and ill just upgrade it to 7 i have no problem with that....

-You have a really beautiful set up, but also a very electricity hungry one indeed. I would actually go on to say that the 750Watt PSU could be a boarder line size for the your rig. And if you ever plan on doing a crossfire with your current Radeon HD 4870, then you will have to definitely get a new PSU.

may be but im not sure, im most definetly not going to do crossfire, i dont have the money really and dont need to.... but i am getting the 1200 case so that might require more power.... not sure ill look into a 850 psu got any recommendations....?

-Why not invest 25$ more and get an extra 250GB or 50$ more on both and create a RAID0 of 2TB instead of 1.5TB. WD is a good choice, they make the best HDDs around.

i dont really actually feel the need to get more than 750 gb for memory, ill never surpass that ammount and if i do then my case has plenty of room for more hdd's, also if it gets tight i have a 600 gb external hdd....

-You're getting a mid-tower? Even with all this? Get a full tower. It doesn't look fancy, but it's not suppose to and there are no included fans which isn't a big deal for most. Most importantly it's huge and will be capable of handling any RAID set up you throw at it and still provide lots of room for your other stuff. Full Tower.

full towers are good but the only problem with that one i feel is airflow, so im just getting the 1200 antec case which looks cool has room and good airflow.

here is my build but updated:

1.)CASE Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Gaming Case
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc t_results.phtml?product_id=0288150

CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16814102801

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 10:36 PM Reply

At 1/28/09 08:59 PM, crazysalt wrote: sorry but i dont have the money to do that and i just feel its overkill....

If you think so, it's just a newer Quad with Hyper-Threading, L3 Cache and a Memory Controller, integrated into it. 920 is fine, the 965 is an unnecessary over kill.

i know that there was the option to just steal it but its just to much of a risk and my father is overlooking the build so he would get angry at me.... and ill just upgrade it to 7 i have no problem with that....

Aren't you 19? You should be at a university campus or living on your own and having to deal with your parents lol. I know it's ungraceful to steal software but I don't see any risk in it, unless your ISP is a dick and tracking your downloads (Unlikely). Then it's a time to switch.

i dont really actually feel the need to get more than 750 gb for memory

Didn't you say in your previous post that you're getting two of them? You didn't specific the type of RAID, but if it's 0, then both HHDs are combined.

full towers are good but the only problem with that one i feel is airflow, so im just getting the 1200 antec case which looks cool has room and good airflow.

Airflow for what, if you look at it, only the cpu and gpu require some noticeable cooling and there are vents for that in every case.

BBS Signature
crazysalt
crazysalt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 28th, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 1/28/09 10:36 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 1/28/09 08:59 PM, crazysalt wrote: sorry but i dont have the money to do that and i just feel its overkill....
If you think so, it's just a newer Quad with Hyper-Threading, L3 Cache and a Memory Controller, integrated into it. 920 is fine, the 965 is an unnecessary over kill.

still its just to much for me and i dont need it...... not to much of a heavy gamer

Aren't you 19? You should be at a university campus or living on your own and having to deal with your parents lol. I know it's ungraceful to steal software but I don't see any risk in it, unless your ISP is a dick and tracking your downloads (Unlikely). Then it's a time to switch.

dude if windows updater gets in then your fucked basically and windows becomes null, and dude this might come as a shock but im 13.... and no my isp is not a dick..... i torrent shit all the time day and night but windows is just to much.....

i dont really actually feel the need to get more than 750 gb for memory
Didn't you say in your previous post that you're getting two of them? You didn't specific the type of RAID, but if it's 0, then both HHDs are combined.

that was actually a typo..... i ment to get only one 750 gb hdd then i decided to go with raid0 and went with 2 300gb hdds and now am at two 320 hdds, i barelly ever run out of room so it would be a waste...

Airflow for what, if you look at it, only the cpu and gpu require some noticeable cooling and there are vents for that in every case.

yes there are but this one just looks so cool ..... and its functional : P

all in all i have allready ordered everything so i cant do anything about it now : ( but i mean for a 13 year old kid its a good build right, and no my dad is not doing all the shit for me nor is he paying for it he is just so interested that he MUST watch for some reason....go figure he's my dad.....

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 29th, 2009 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 1/28/09 10:46 PM, crazysalt wrote: all in all i have allready ordered everything so i cant do anything about it now : ( but i mean for a 13 year old kid its a good build right, and no my dad is not doing all the shit for me nor is he paying for it he is just so interested that he MUST watch for some reason....go figure he's my dad.....

Hey man, that's cool, I was only wondering because your profile was saying a different age. The build is solid, sorry if I came off edgy, I'm like that sometimes.

BBS Signature