New Topic Respond to this Topic
killwerty
killwerty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 02:25 PM Reply

Im kinda new to all this, but the 6000 is 3Ghz but the 7750 BE is only 2.75Ghz. Doesnt that mean it's slower?

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 01:11 PM, killwerty wrote: Ive tried booting with the floppy drive taken out, with both optical drives out, but the same thing keeps happening. Got any ideas? A friend told me that it's probably the mobo so what do u think of this one if i need to get a new one? (the processor is a pentium 4 and needed replacing anyway).

Do some research. There is always a lost of information when it's transferred through a multitude of people, most importantly the finer details that might actually add up and become very significant. Buying a kit from a site or store typically offers terrible hardware that is un-proportional to one another and is selling bad. Newegg.com offers some of the best deals online so you should use it if you're going to build a computer. Here are some guide lines (From my recommendation) to follow in the pursue of a high performing, yet affordable computer:

CPU - Go Intel
(Less problems having to compare AMD with it, as they're two different techs and AMD isn't the greatest, IMO)

CPU (Again) - Stick to the 'Core 2 Duo' family
(High performance, affordable, very recent (aside from the i7, which requires odd hardware and is a bit confusing))

HHD - 1TB WesternDigital is king
(I don't know your needs, but it never hurts to be future proof. They're also dead cheap and have the best Buck:GBs ratio)

RAM - 2x 2GB 800/1066 RAM DIMMS from Corsair are very reliable
(RAM is another piece of hardware that is dead cheap now (20$?), and it adds shit loads of performance to any computer)

GPU - Nvidia 9xxx Graphics Cards are fantastic and cool. 9800+ runs basically any game on very high
(There are many series of cards available from Nvidia, the 9 series offers the best buck:performance ratio. 9800GTX is great)

PSU - PowerSupply from any reputable company will do
(Try to go for one that has a high efficiency rate (80%+) and 600+ Watts, 700+ if you're going SLI)

Mobo - Motherboards are all mainly the same
(You will need to find out what socket your processor has (Most likely LGA775) and find a motherboard to fit it, 90% of them come with the same set up and performance, anything around 150$ will be more than fine)

Case - Bigger they are, the better. Colorful fans don't make your system run faster
(A Full Tower is my suggestion as it's easier to work with, but a Mid Tower will do just fine, and get one without a PSU as you will most likely have your own)

At 2/12/09 02:25 PM, killwerty wrote: Im kinda new to all this, but the 6000 is 3Ghz but the 7750 BE is only 2.75Ghz. Doesnt that mean it's slower?

This is exactly why I hate AMD, they intentionally named their processors like that to trick consumers into the gimmick that they are 'faster' or 'better'. I could write a book, if not a trilogy as to why AMD shouldn't exist and why they will never get up to par with Intel, but just go on my word and just get an Intel.

90% of processors that have came out in the last 3 or so years, will fall under the 2.4~3.2Ghz range, and quite frankly, no one will actually be able to tell a distinctively the difference between them all, performance wise for common programs. So it doesn't matter how fast it is, as you can Over Clock it later anyways. I got an entire extra 2Ghz of performance out of mine with just stock cooling.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
killwerty
killwerty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 03:21 PM, PolishMatt wrote: stuff

Wow, thanks. Basically, I already have a perfectly fine harddrive, case, graphics card (to be upgraded later) and RAM(Also to be upgraded). The PSU is fine but it's oly 150 W so I knew i'd have to upgrade that.

I relation to the CPU and mobo, i'm on a very limited budget, maybe £150 to £180 for both. (I dont know how many $ that is). I won't be doing any serious gaming on it, just stuff like photoshop and a bit of audio and low quality video editing. I saw that the AMD processors were less for the same Ghz but now I know that other things affect speed as well, i'll hace to have a look around. Budget is my biggest problem however, so in the end it'll be what ever i can afford, i guess.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 05:44 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 05:29 PM, killwerty wrote: maybe £150 to £180

Save up for a few months, years. It's not worth doing much with that budget.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
TheWolfe
TheWolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 11:34 PM Reply

OK guys, I'm back.
I spent some more time reading this thread, and looking on NewEgg, and I have ANOTHER batch of parts I need opinions of and some questions answered. I truly appreciate it =D

THE CASE

I've narrowed it down to 3 different cases.

First Up: Sunbeam Transformer (Full Tower)

What I Like About It:

*(2) 80mm Side Fans, (1) 80mm Top Fan, (1) 120mm Rear Fan

*Side Window (Weird design in the way though...(

*It's a Full Case

*It's Cheap

What I Dislike:

*Only one front USB

Questions:

*What are the benefits of a Full Tower over a Mid Tower?
-All I could see was they are more expensive, for a little more room-

Second Up: RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme

What I Like About It:

*(1) 80mm Side Green LED Fan, (1) 80mm Side Cooling Fan, (1) 120mm Front Intake Fan, (1) 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan

*Clear Side Window

*Comes with 500W Power Supply

*Two USBs ports

*It's Cheap

What I Dislike:

*Not very many pictures, so I can't see what it really looks like, but it seems good.

Questions:

*What are the pros/cons of buying a tower with an included power supply?

*Is 500W enough?

Third Up: RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB

What I Like About It:

*(1) 80mm Side Blue LED Fan, (1) 80mm Side Cooling Fan, (1) 120mm Front Intake Fan, (1) 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan

*Clear Side Window

*2 Front USBs ports

*It's Cheap

What I Dislike:

*Another case with limited photos. From what I can tell, it's good.

Also, this same case can be bought with a 500W included power supply for $20 more.

Questions:

*Back to included power supply...20 bucks for 500W looks like a great deal, and one more thing I don't have to put together for the first time.

THE MOTHERBOARD:
Due to my lack of knowledge of MB, I picked one that was:
a) Compatible
b) Good price range
c) Recommended by others/popular

First & Only: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

I don't know much about the specifics of motherboards, as in, "This number means this, and the higher/lower it is the better/worse it is". All I know a board around 150 is plenty, and that Gigabyte is recommend by other users.

This board is also LG 775, Intel-To be compatible with my CPU

Questions:

*What do I need to know about MB that I don't already?

THE CPU:
I read (on here) that Core 2 duo is your best bet, and so I picked out one from that genre. I was thinking of the 3.0GHz, but I'm the kind of guy who buys something, only to regret it weeks later. So I decided to spend the extra 20-30 to get 3.16GHz, just so I would know that I got the best =D

First & Only: Intel 3.16

Questions:

*All I know about CPUs is that:
a) AMDs are risky/bad
b) 2.4-3.0 GHz isn't a big difference, but the higher the better

Anything else I should know? Such as the L2 Cache? I'm unfamiliar with that...

THE RAM:
I also don't know too much about RAM. Except that 2gb per stick is better than 1gb (or 512mb/256mb) obviously. And that you only really need 2, but 4 is the max.

First & Only:
CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2

Questions:

*What else should I know about RAM?

CD BURNERS:
Now I really don't know what's going on. Is 22x better than 20x? And is Blue Ray/HD at 6x really worth $200? And is lightscribe a great feature to have? There's a few other numbers that I'm unsure about...I don't burn much (I have Zune) and so I don't see the need to know too much here.

First & Only: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

That's a long ass name...

...Moving on.

FANS:

The cases I selected already had FOUR fans, is that enough? And do I need a CPU fan? What's the difference between case fans and cpu fans(I know the fan goes OVER the CPU, but is it needed)?

I didn't select any fans.

Also, what's heatsink?

And is watercooling all that great? It sounds difficult to set up, and...dangerous (water?)

HDD

I read that Western Digital is the best company, and their 1TB is the best bang for the buck, and even though I've never used more than 100GB on a computer, I've chosen the WD 1TB

WD 1TB

POWER:

I'm not sure what makes one power supply unit better than another. They all look the same to me. Except that anything under 500W is a waste, and that the 80+ certified is preferable. So I narrowed them down to 500W to 600W and 80+, and chose 2 that looked good.

This bring up the question (again) should I buy my own Power, or buy a case with built in?

1. SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

Note: 5 Year Warranty

Question: What is crossfire/SLI(I know it has to do with the V card)?

2. BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.8 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active

Notes: $20 bucks cheaper, same amount of Watts, and is said to be "efficient, quiet and cool"

Video Card:

I've read that the NVIDIA GTX9800 is the best for its price, and will run just about anything really well.

NVIDIA

*I don't bother trying to learn Raedon's own system of numbers and types. I'm comfortable with NVIDIA and I don't plan on wasting time learning any others.

Last Notes/Questions:

Do I need to buy my own sound card?
Do I need to buy a wifi card?
I've always done wifi, should I consider Ethernet(I hardly know what it is)?
I have my own monitor.

(Thanks for reading all of this. This took awhile to write, and I realize it started off neat, and then slowly turned into rambling. My apologizes.)

RAWR.

BBS Signature
wildface098
wildface098
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 12:24 AM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 2/12/09 12:20 AM, wildface098 wrote: I mod my PC and it's all custom. harddrive and evrything.
"my hardrive gets better every day." you made it sound as though it's a living organism that you are giving special care to so it would heal. I don't see any connection between your last post and responding to what you meant by your 2nd last post. And obviously if you're going to 'mod' your computer, everything is going to be custom bought (saying custom made would sound as though you actually took apart several hard drives and made a new one, which is impossible without a clean room/completely pointless).

not the insides, the outsides of the hardrive. like the Disk Drive and so on. sorry for the way I say it making it sound so unreal I just like to explain things in that type of way. may i join?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 06:56 AM Reply

At 2/12/09 11:34 PM, TheWolfe wrote: OK guys, I'm back.
I spent some more time reading this thread, and looking on NewEgg, and I have ANOTHER batch of parts I need opinions of and some questions answered. I truly appreciate it =D
THE CASE

Not that the cases you picked out are bad, but 80mm fans don't move much air, and even though some features may seem nice, there's a difference between what seems functional and what is. From experience, I would highly recommend limiting your search to these brands:
Thermaltake
Antec
Coolermaster
Lian-Li

Included power supplies are included FOR A REASON. The only time I would actually use one in a system is if someone needs a computer for accessing email.

THE MOTHERBOARD:
First & Only: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
What do I need to know about MB that I don't already?

If you want to go crossfire, get an intel chipset. If you want to go SLI, get an nvidia chipset or an x58. Nothing you need to worry about.

There are some boards that use DDR3 ram, but those are only enthusiast boards at this point.

THE CPU:

Same cpu I have, you'll be very happy.

Anything else I should know? Such as the L2 Cache? I'm unfamiliar with that...

Cache is in a nutshell the processor's ram. A bigger cache makes multitasking easier and faster.

THE RAM:

Corsair is a good choice, but you should look at a 2x2GB kit. Ram is able to run in dual-channel on almost all modern motherboards, which means each stick can communicate with the rest of the computer simultaneously.

If you want to overclock a lot, I would look into a 1066 mhz kit.

CD BURNERS:

Because computer monitors can usually run HD resolutions depending on how good they are, a blu-ray drive is a nice choice if you like to watch movies. Blu-rays can also read DVDs and usually burn them as well. No need to get a blu-ray burner though, unless you want to produce HD movies.

A DVD burner is a DVD burner, if it's a brand you've heard of you'll be fine.

FANS:

Most case fans are 120mm. Look at those. When researching, keep in mind:
Amount of air moved (CFM) / Noise

The higher the ratio, the better the fan.

HDD

Ding.

POWER:

If you want to run a high end graphics card, or be future proof, look at 800W+. They're getting cheaper, if you look around enough. Brands to look at:
Thermaltake
Corsair
Antec
Silverstone

Video Card:

The 9800GTX+ is a great card, but if you can stretch it, get a 260. Not much more expensive, but close to double the power.

Last Notes/Questions:

No

Nah.

Ethernet is hardwired internet. Faster and more reliable than wifi.

I have my own monitor.

What resolution?

TheWolfe
TheWolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 03:45 PM Reply

At 2/13/09 06:56 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Not that the cases you picked out are bad, but 80mm fans don't move much air, and even though some features may seem nice, there's a difference between what seems functional and what is. From experience, I would highly recommend limiting your search to these brands:
Thermaltake
Antec
Coolermaster
Lian-Li

So I should look for cases that only have 120mm fans?

Included power supplies are included FOR A REASON. The only time I would actually use one in a system is if someone needs a computer for accessing email.

I'm confused. So they're bad? My real question is "why"
Nothing you need to worry about.
I'll just pretend I know what that is.

Corsair is a good choice, but you should look at a 2x2GB kit. Ram is able to run in dual-channel on almost all modern motherboards, which means each stick can communicate with the rest of the computer simultaneously.

2X2GB? I thought that's what it was...2gb per stick, and id buy 2 sticks.

If you want to overclock a lot, I would look into a 1066 mhz kit.

I dont know how to do that...yet

A DVD burner is a DVD burner, if it's a brand you've heard of you'll be fine.

Sony it is then.

FANS:
Most case fans are 120mm. Look at those. When researching, keep in mind:
Amount of air moved (CFM) / Noise
POWER:
If you want to run a high end graphics card, or be future proof, look at 800W+. They're getting cheaper, if you look around enough. Brands to look at:
Thermaltake
Corsair
Antec
Silverstone

800Watts, I'll remember that.

Video Card:
The 9800GTX+ is a great card, but if you can stretch it, get a 260. Not much more expensive, but close to double the power.

Sounds good.

Last Notes/Questions:

No

Phew.

Nah.

But what if I dont have ethernet? My question is more "will my computer be able to go wifi without me buying my own card/usb thingy"

Ethernet is hardwired internet. Faster and more reliable than wifi.

I dont know how to do that.

I have my own monitor.
What resolution?

It says here its 1440 X 900
Its a 19inch screen, hp, with built in speakers =(
Not to mention it doesnt do very well with bright colors. The difference between white and light grey is undetectable for mine.

RAWR.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 06:26 PM Reply

Thewolfe, what are you going to be using your computer for.

GET AMD LOLOL

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 06:58 PM Reply

DAMMIT! My laptop (which is running Vista Home Basic) just crashed and now its BSOD'ing on me, and i cant get to work to fix it until monday, fuck. Im thinking about installing Linux onto it and just using Linux, now ive been running on Windows all my life (and 99% of the laptops i fix use Windows) so anyone think i should switch to Linux, or just stay with Vista?

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 07:42 PM Reply

I think everyone would save everyone else an ass loud of time if they just researched their questions on google. You will get them instantly rather than having to wait for us to respond and they will most likely be explained in much more fuller detail.

At 2/13/09 06:58 PM, JKMonkey wrote: so anyone think i should switch to Linux, or just stay with Vista?

It would help to know if you need to use any microsoft software, because using wine in Linux isn't too great (You probably know that you need wine to use such programs in Linux).

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Guise I still can't fix my game problem :(

killwerty
killwerty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 02:28 AM Reply

Thanks PolishMatt for all the advice. I'll just bu a mobo now, as this ones broken, and upgrade the cpu later when i have more money.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 07:08 AM Reply

My dad has a bad installation of XP that crashes a lot of programs randomly along with software related BSoDs. I wanted to put the 7 beta on his computer, but I didn't know they stopped the downloads. Is there anywhere else I can get the operating system?

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 2/14/09 07:08 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: My dad has a bad installation of XP that crashes a lot of programs randomly along with software related BSoDs. I wanted to put the 7 beta on his computer, but I didn't know they stopped the downloads. Is there anywhere else I can get the operating system?

www.piratebay.org

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 01:29 PM Reply

At 2/14/09 07:08 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: My dad has a bad installation of XP that crashes a lot of programs randomly along with software related BSoDs. I wanted to put the 7 beta on his computer, but I didn't know they stopped the downloads. Is there anywhere else I can get the operating system?

Windows 7.
Key:
32: TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC
64: D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9

I got the keys just before they closed the beta.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Speaking of Windows 7, is it worth getting at the moment?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 2/14/09 01:29 PM, PolishMatt wrote: OS:
Windows 7.
Key:
32: TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC
64: D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9

I got the keys just before they closed the beta.

Glee!

At 2/14/09 01:34 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Speaking of Windows 7, is it worth getting at the moment?

My dad's system:

775 Pentium 4 3Ghz Single core
1 GB DDR ram
NVidia 7300 LE

He'll be guinea pigging 7 for me. If it runs well on that, I'll call it a win.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 14th, 2009 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 2/13/09 03:45 PM, TheWolfe wrote: It says here its 1440 X 900
Its a 19inch screen, hp, with built in speakers =(
Not to mention it doesnt do very well with bright colors. The difference between white and light grey is undetectable for mine.

Unless you're trying to pursue the career of a graphics designer,that thing will do fine. You can get a nice 24" Samsung monitor with a 20:000 Contrast ratio and a resolution of 1920x1200, for just 320$.

At 2/13/09 06:58 PM, JKMonkey wrote: Im thinking about installing Linux onto it and just using Linux,

It's never a wrong move to switch to Linux, just remember that.

At 2/13/09 09:12 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Guise I still can't fix my game problem :(

Games are a waste of time anyway. Just play a guitar, they never crash or have compatibility issues.

At 2/14/09 01:34 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Speaking of Windows 7, is it worth getting at the moment?

Don't you read Gizmodo? Those guys have a new article about it nearly everyday. You might want to also check out LifeHacker. But back the main question (Even though it's silly); yes, yes it's worth it but it's going to stop working on August 1st because it's a Beta.

At 2/14/09 02:14 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: He'll be guinea pigging 7 for me. If it runs well on that, I'll call it a win.

A reviewing site tried installing it on a machine with a 600Mhz processor, 256MB of RAM and a 20GB HD with a integrated graphics card and apparently it ran very smoothly, even with multiple applications opened.

BBS Signature
TheWolfe
TheWolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 01:13 AM Reply

Can you guys find me parts that would get an equal/better system than this for the given price?
The reason I got into learning how a computer works was for fun and to save money. But if buying a computer whole is easier, less of a problem (don't have to order your own parts or go to the trouble of building it) then why should you? I mean, I find a computer's parts fascinating, but sometimes I just don't see the point. In 10 years computers will only be availible in bundles and only the most high tech guys will be able to get their own parts. I just don't see the point.

RAWR.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 03:17 AM Reply

At 2/15/09 01:13 AM, TheWolfe wrote: Can you guys find me parts that would get an equal/better system than this for the given price?

I would actually say that the bundle you picked is the first decent one for the price, I like all the parts in there (Rare) and the price is reasonable, I might be able to come up with something better. Lets see.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache - $164.99
GPU: XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 - $244.99
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready - $109.99
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX - $114.99
RAM: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - $74.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache - $129.99
CASE: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower - $89.99
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - $36.99

TOTAL: 966.98 (GPU Cames with a free copy of FarCry2)

As for the keyboard and mouse, I'm sure you have your old favorites (They're cheap anyways). And the OS you can download over night, Linux is better than Vista anyways.

This build will definitely outperform the build you found, as it has a graphics card that is nearly twice as good, the fastest type of memory, a reputable WesternDigital HHD, the best Duo-Core (Eception of Extreme) available and a kick ass motherboard. Plus, you get that game for free and a aftermarket heatsink is in the cost, so you can overclock your processor to crazy speeds. The Duo core might not seem as attractive as the Quad core, but there are barely any applications that can utilize it anyways.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 03:20 AM Reply

That GPU might of actually been a bit of a over kill. You could shave $100 off and get a 9800GTX which will play all of today's games on very high with a decent FPS on high resolutions (Ex. 1920x1200). But a high performing computer is only going to get as cheap as that.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 07:01 AM Reply

Don't buy the case Polishmatt recommended. It may look nice, but it quickly becomes a curse. Horrible blotchy paint-job that is very noticeable in the light, bulky front door that doesn't allow you to put in anything that protrudes more than a few mm, LEDs have a habit of flicking into the fan so often I have to keep one of them off.

But look what I found.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 08:58 AM Reply

Nah this is the case you should get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811119137

I should get mine on Tuesday or Wednesday.

ALSO GET AMD LOLOL

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 10:36 AM Reply

So some guy suggest that I reinstall DirectX and update my Motherboard drivers.

1. How exactly do I reinstall DirectX. It's kinda confusing cause there's DirectX9 and 10. Do I just install 10 and it comes with 9 or what?

2. I only found the SB drivers for my board.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 12:23 PM Reply

At 2/15/09 07:01 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: But look what I found.

The other thousand people who bought the case didn't seem to have a problem with it.

At 2/15/09 10:36 AM, TacoFreak wrote: 1. How exactly do I reinstall DirectX. It's kinda confusing cause there's DirectX9 and 10. Do I just install 10 and it comes with 9 or what?

DirectX 10 comes already pre-installed with Vista and is only Vista (Yes, I know there is a work around for XP) and reinstalling is as simple as downloading it and letting it do its thing.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 01:04 PM Reply

Ok done that and still I get this fucking problem. MAKES ME RAGE.

On a side note: I should be getting my CM 690 on Tuesday or so. I probably won't have it built the first or maybe even second day although it will be fun.

Planning to put intake in front, intake on bottom, intake on side, exhaust on back, 2 exhaust on top.

Psu facing down probably.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 03:50 PM Reply

Thinking about getting a Sony Vaio. But it's impossible to get a reasonably priced one to ship to Canada.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 03:52 PM Reply

lol wuts a sony vaio

What do you guys think about getting a Zalman fan controller? It's for 6 fans which is just what I need. Secondly if I were to put my fans into a molex connecter the fans would be pretty loud (max speed) and it would be a clusterfuck.

Costs about 30 dollars.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 15th, 2009 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 2/15/09 03:52 PM, TacoFreak wrote: lol wuts a sony vaio

Something you will never appreciate.

BBS Signature