TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 08:51 AM Reply

At 2/1/09 12:57 AM, PolishMatt wrote:
Just take the shelling off of your case like I do and leave all the components exposed.

Nah it's too dangerous and I have no space on my desk for that.

Sure, if you don't mind spending a few hundreds on power tools just to do a job that won't help anyways.

I didn't mean buying one, perhaps my neighbor or uncle has one that I can borrow.

An extra hole for a fan won't do much, you will be lucky to get a degree or two off of all your components.

I know it won't do much, but the whole point of it is that it's fun. My temps are okay so I don't really care.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 09:05 AM Reply

If you want a nice even hole, you need a hollow drill bit. 5in=120mm, but I'm not sure what size you would need for 140mm. Besides circles, the dremel is your best friend for everything.

As far as cabling goes, your case might have support rails for you power supply. Try routing things like your processor cables through that.

This might require you to take your motherboard out, but tuck any unused cables under the board. You might want to cap the plugs with electrical tape to prevent any shorts. If long enough, running your PCI-e and Sata cables under the motherboard tray or the motherboard itself will make things a lot better. The end result doesn't need to be neat, just enough so that air flow in front of fans is not constricted. Don't be afraid to tape wires to the side of the case.

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 2/1/09 12:46 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Zip ties my friend.

i hate using those on my cables, they always either fall off (from being to loose) or i tie them to tight and i cant even cut them off

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 01:45 PM Reply

Ok so I did some cable management with the help of some shitty tape and string.

Went from http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/
Bartmasta/DSC03747.jpg

To http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/
Bartmasta/DSC03757.jpg

You can't see a big difference on the pics but there are no more cables in front of the cpu cooler.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 03:04 PM Reply

At 2/1/09 08:51 AM, TacoFreak wrote: Nah it's too dangerous and I have no space on my desk for that.

Three years running and nothing bad has happened. You're taking things off, how can that take more room up.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 2/1/09 03:04 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 2/1/09 08:51 AM, TacoFreak wrote: Nah it's too dangerous and I have no space on my desk for that.
Three years running and nothing bad has happened. You're taking things off, how can that take more room up.

Because my computer is standing vertically but without a case wouldn't it have to lie down horizontally?

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 2/1/09 05:16 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Because my computer is standing vertically but without a case wouldn't it have to lie down horizontally?

I didn't know you had a vertical workstation, I typically dislike those a lot for my own personal reasons. My mom's old computer was like that as well but we still had it standing up horizontally. It makes no difference to the computer and the only small downside is that putting discs into the disc drive is a bit tricky.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 2/1/09 07:16 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 2/1/09 05:16 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Because my computer is standing vertically but without a case wouldn't it have to lie down horizontally?
I didn't know you had a vertical workstation, I typically dislike those a lot for my own personal reasons. My mom's old computer was like that as well but we still had it standing up horizontally. It makes no difference to the computer and the only small downside is that putting discs into the disc drive is a bit tricky.

I have a small desk so it would cause problems. Although running it without a case is dangerous. I have spilled drinks on my desk a couple of times.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 1st, 2009 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 2/1/09 07:19 PM, TacoFreak wrote: I have a small desk so it would cause problems. Although running it without a case is dangerous. I have spilled drinks on my desk a couple of times.

I have mine on the ground, as it should be and it's right next to my guitar and bed. No problems.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2009 @ 10:10 AM Reply

So my 3pin 12 V plug touched my hdd bay and I saw a spark and my computer turned off. Luckily it started back up again and everything works.

Am I lucky y/n

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2009 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 2/2/09 10:10 AM, TacoFreak wrote: So my 3pin 12 V plug touched my hdd bay and I saw a spark and my computer turned off.

How the hell did you manage to do that.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2009 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 2/2/09 02:28 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 2/2/09 10:10 AM, TacoFreak wrote: So my 3pin 12 V plug touched my hdd bay and I saw a spark and my computer turned off.
How the hell did you manage to do that.

I slightly moved the cable so it would be easier to plug in my case fans later but it touched the bay and sparked... I touched it before multiple times but never sparked.

Weird.

CPU cooler is too big; can't put in side case fan.

ffffffff

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2009 @ 04:38 PM Reply

At 2/2/09 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: CPU cooler is too big; can't put in side case fan.

Wouldn't make a difference anyways.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 2/2/09 04:38 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 2/2/09 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: CPU cooler is too big; can't put in side case fan.

I was gonna put 2 side fans, 1 on the top part and one on the bottom, couldn't in the top part cause of the CPU cooler, so I put 2 on the bottom and when I checked temps there were 8'C higher.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 2nd, 2009 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 2/2/09 05:20 PM, TacoFreak wrote: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

And to the next post; Wouldn't make a difference anyways.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:02 AM Reply

If you want better cooling, the fact is plain and simple; you need a better heatsink. You keep saying that yours is great for the money, and while that may be true, it just won't cut it. You need a TRUE. From what I've heard though, it seems like your CPU can't be pushed any higher anyway. Intel CPUs have a habit of being able to go very far as long as you keep cranking the voltage. It was an awesome feeling of accomplishment to boot into 4.75, something that would've been stupid with my old heatsink, which was a good 10C hotter on a good day.

TL/DR: Don't obsess, because there's not much more you can do to your system without a complete overhaul.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 2/3/09 07:02 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:

TL/DR: Don't obsess, because there's not much more you can do to your system without a complete overhaul.

That's what I told you yesterday, that I don't need a better heatsink because my temps are fine and I can't go any higher. I might have trouble in Summer. I think I will be okay though...

12 euro cpu cooler, suck it. I was thinking of some other fan too, like a Zalman but this cpu cooler barely fits in my case.

Also, by shocking my PC I believe I actually fixed a problem I was getting at start up.

wut.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 2/3/09 07:02 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: You need a TRUE.

Now, that's a fucking heat sink. It even fits a 1366. I'm definitely getting this when I'm doing my next rig. Too awesome.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 05:14 PM Reply

Actually, I've been looking at the coolermaster v10 on my next build. Comparable temperatures to water cooling, cools ram, fucking massive, etc. It costs 140 on frozencpu for pre-order, so it's bound to come down even more.

Computer Construction Crew

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:45 PM Reply

Woah, that thing looks huge.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 2/3/09 05:14 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: coolermaster v10

Overkill. Thing looks like it needs it's own power supply.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:03 PM Reply

I finally got my computer together and it's been a week without any problems, so time to celebrate! :D

CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 (3.6 GHz OC, stock cooler lol)
Mobo: ASUS M3A78-EM
VGA: EVGA GTX 280 Superclocked
RAM: 8GB DDR2 800
PSU: Zalman ZM750-HP 750W
HD: G.SKILL 64GB SSD
Monitors: BENQ G2400W (x2)
Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite

I'm so fucking happy.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 08:31 PM Reply

At 2/3/09 08:03 PM, Rig wrote: I finally got my computer together and it's been a week without any problems, so time to celebrate! :D

CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 (3.6 GHz OC, stock cooler lol)
Mobo: ASUS M3A78-EM
VGA: EVGA GTX 280 Superclocked
RAM: 8GB DDR2 800
PSU: Zalman ZM750-HP 750W
HD: G.SKILL 64GB SSD
Monitors: BENQ G2400W (x2)
Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite

I'm so fucking happy.

Awesome! Pics of the innards to follow? Also, you make music, 64 GB of space is just stupid unless you've got a nice external hooked up to it.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 11:54 PM Reply

At 2/3/09 08:31 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Awesome! Pics of the innards to follow?

Pic through the window below.

Also, you make music, 64 GB of space is just stupid unless you've got a nice external hooked up to it.

I have a 500GB external, yes. I'm getting a terabyte drive or two when I can afford it ;P

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 3rd, 2009 @ 11:56 PM Reply

At 2/3/09 11:54 PM, Rig wrote:
At 2/3/09 08:31 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Awesome! Pics of the innards to follow?
Pic through the window below.

Below below below...
Top right, PSU. Below it, you can see my CPU fan. The top left is my CD tray.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 4th, 2009 @ 12:46 AM Reply

At 2/3/09 11:54 PM, Rig wrote: I have a 500GB external, yes. I'm getting a terabyte drive or two when I can afford it ;P

They're 94.99$, I don't think it could be any more cheaper/beautiful. You get 9.48GB for every buck, meaning that the cost of an average McDonalds meal could get you at least 50GB of storage.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 4th, 2009 @ 02:46 AM Reply

Not that expensive, just a few days of pay would cover it. But if you're really that slim on pay, I wish you luck on getting some soon.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 4th, 2009 @ 10:01 AM Reply

Hey guys I've decided to get a case, I was planning to get one when I upgrade my hardware, so why not just get one now and have a cooler computer and shiny LED'S?

First I was gonna pick the Antec 900. Looks good but has shitty cable management from what I heard from the computer forum that I go on. They said get either the Antec 1200, or the Coolermaster 690 or HAF.

The 1200 and Coolermaster HAF cases are quite large. Expensive too. Very large actually and my desk is pretty small.

So I decided on the 690.

1. It's cheap. Really cheap. <3

2. Has same air flow as the other cases.

3. Comes with quiet fans (winnar).

4. Good cable managment.

There are 2 versions though, one with a small window and 1 side fan, and one with no side window and 2 side fans.

Which one is better?

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 4th, 2009 @ 06:52 PM Reply

Some guy told me this: Remember to screw the mother board standoffs in first, otherwise youll short the board to the mobo tray.

Can you guys explain what it means? TSF is a plug and doesn't want to help.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 5th, 2009 @ 08:56 AM Reply

At 2/4/09 06:52 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Some guy told me this: Remember to screw the mother board standoffs in first, otherwise youll short the board to the mobo tray.

Can you guys explain what it means? TSF is a plug and doesn't want to help.

Nvm I found out.

Need feeback on the case I want.