00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Avgn Fan Club!

131,903 Views | 920 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 21:54:35

At 5/4/13 09:41 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the vocal minority who always says "What is this crap? I don't care about old horror movies! When is the next Nerd video? That's why you have a fanbase in the first place!"

Oh... I really thought you were answering the posts of the guys in the club here.

Those people.

Yeah well, these people have no kind of consideration for the artist's work, and for the individual behind the character. If someone who brings you joy and entertainment feels like working on other projects he likes, you can't act like a spoiled brat and whine like a little bitch that he isn't doing what he should be doing. You're right.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-05 14:21:10

I don't know what's going on in their heads, but I get the impression that James Rolfe and Doug Walker feel trapped by these roles. Like they don't know how to break out of them and do different things.

It kind of takes the fun out of the whole thing.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-10 02:24:44

At 5/5/13 11:01 AM, tyler2513 wrote: OK guys, The Nerd's got over a hundred of these episodes, there's bound to be a few that we're not very fond of or maybe even plain dislike. But it doesn't mean you hate him, and if you like a couple of the generally hated ones then it doesn't mean your a super hardcore fanboy. But it's perfectly natural for there to be at least a few misses amongst all the hits, James likes experimenting so he's not expecting them all to be perfectly fitted with the fans.

I'm kind of happy he did that video. The greatest of all artists have to experiment, play around, try different stuff. The experimentation is what makes the art great. I might not really enjoy the video, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the AVGN's fans have enjoyed it for the diversity it brings to the AVGN's portfolio.

I wouldn't even consider it as a miss. It was less scripted than the usual AVGN movies, it left place for some improvisation and the result isn't half-bad. Of course, some of the jokes end up being corny or flat-out unfunny. But some good ones came out of the process the same way. I'm happy he did the video :)

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-06-05 13:31:56

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-01 19:44:06

Good episode. Classic style.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-01 23:57:34

At 7/1/13 07:44 PM, Jackho wrote: Good episode. Classic style.

That Bill And Ted episode? I'll have to watch it guess.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-02 12:23:52

The Bill and Ted episode was pretty good.

He left out all the ancillary crap and just talked about the game.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-02 13:32:45

At 7/2/13 12:23 PM, Darthdenim wrote: The Bill and Ted episode was pretty good.

I just watched the episode and it's in fact pretty good. You can tell that he enjoyed doing this reviews. And boy, that game looks horrible.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-03 04:35:58

At 7/2/13 01:32 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 7/2/13 12:23 PM, Darthdenim wrote: The Bill and Ted episode was pretty good.
I just watched the episode and it's in fact pretty good. You can tell that he enjoyed doing this reviews. And boy, that game looks horrible.

LJN's sense of humor makes it particularly painful...

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-07 21:26:14

The rant at the end felt really forced. The game was bad, but I don't think it looked THAT bad.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-09-07 04:07:56

The newest episode just came out, and I think it's awesome! Going back to the Tiger handheld games was a bright idea :) Go watch it!

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2016-12-11 15:05:56

Oh man, I remember joining this club back in 08. I'm glad to see it's still around! I'll try posting here every now and then to keep people updated on AVGN.

AVGN released season 6 on his Youtube channel. He has this really interesting short film around 21:00 where he discusses what goes into the making of an episode. I think it's worth checking out if you're interested in getting into film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShomFm6CUI

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2017-04-02 01:21:05 (edited 2017-04-02 01:21:48)

Christ has it really been that long since someone posted here?

Anyways, Newer episodes and changes have happen.
So let's talk about them!

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2017-05-28 02:38:33

At 5/27/17 01:23 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At this point he's almost exhausted AVGN

The character has ran its course, it has massive star power and that's why he's still able to make a go with it. They do some awesome stuff on the channel, I like James and Mike Mondays a lot, and Board James was a good series as well.

It's kind of weird that the Nostalgia Critic could do a video on the early AVGN stuff now.

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2017-05-30 19:06:31

Man I still love James and the Nerd. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of those compilations where he uploads a whole 'season' in one video. I was going to point to the football rant in Atari Sports as an example of the 'new' episodes being funnier than ever, since it's one of my all time favorutie AVGN moments, then I realised that episode is already bordering on five years old. Holy shit what.

I thought the Sonic 06 episode was just okay, it's another example of a game that everyone's already destroyed and I prefer when the games are a bit more obscure and almost educational. That's what really sucked me into the AVGN, seeing old systems like the Intellivision that I'd never seen or heard of and getting an honest look at it from an entertaining character. The use of green screen for several jokes was also really weird and jarring, the first time it was kind of impressive, after that not so much.

Honestly my favourite parts are when the Nerd isn't hating on something, but celebrating it, and talking about his childhood with fondness. I might prefer the Cinemassacre channel is it was just James as himself talking about games, or pursuing his other interests.

I still enjoy the episodes but at this point I don't think people would be too upset if he decided to end the character or put him on an indefinite hiatus. 145 episodes of anything is more than enough. James said he considered making episode 100 the finale and that idea was still knocking around while making the episode, so obviously he recognises this too. I trust James' foresight but I'd also hate to see this character completely run into the ground.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2020-09-18 01:18:38

His non-AVGN videos are actually pretty good. He recently did one where he went to visit the last Blockbuster and experience what it's like to rent a movie from there again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJc3X6wzW1A

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2021-04-03 21:17:14

im gonna say it

james rolfe's daughter is a fucking kaizo level designer

also fat rip to mr matei may he build brown bricks in his beloved twitch channel

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2021-04-28 05:07:25

At 4/3/21 09:17 PM, le-squidjerky wrote: im gonna say it

james rolfe's daughter is a fucking kaizo level designer
also fat rip to mr matei may he build brown bricks in his beloved twitch channel

fucking imagine people making tas speedruns on her levels

Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2021-05-08 01:36:38

1. transcribe her levels into a collected SMW romhack
  2. submit it to the SMW Central, label it Kaizo
  3. wait possibly a few months; possibly will gain attention from speedrunners and regular Mario YTbers
  4. get james rolfe's attention that her daughter's level design brought an entire community flocking
  5. next AVGN episode reviews romhack
  6. daughter gains le profit

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2021-05-08 01:43:43

At 5/8/21 01:36 AM, le-squidjerky wrote:

YOU FUCKING GENIUS

Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2021-06-03 18:50:33

I got into AVGN back in the day on Youtube due to the Castlevania Episodes (my favorites). I also really enjoyed his one offs too (Bible Adventures, holy shit). Honestly in his newer episodes he hasn't changed much. He did an ep on Earthbound that was pretty damn fantastic and in depth about what he liked and didn't like about it. He even did an episode on the Home Alone games and got Macaulay Caulkin on it! That was awesome. I think he's still gonna be going strong for a long long time folks. He's a great guy. Sure he's less angry, and more mellow, but who gives a fuck? He makes good content, and personally I like the guy. Always makes good shit.

I'll never look back, I've got no regrets,

Cause time doesn't wait for me

I choose to go my own way