Orly?

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-24 20:45:52 Reply

I'm getting this problem when I try to boot up my rig.

Basically sometimes it will boot up like normal, but sometimes the monitor screen will stay black and I will have to press the reset button once or multiple times to get it to start up. Another way to do it is the switch off the PSU in the back, and switch it back on and turn on the computer.

This started happening after I got my aftermarket cpu cooler. Not enough power from my PSU?

RedDreadSky
RedDreadSky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-26 23:56:17 Reply

Ok, so I am a complete beginner at computer building and I wanted to give it a try, but I don't know anyone IRL who had built one before. Any tips? Right now I'm just browsing the internet trying to find out what I need and how much it will cost.

BBS Signature
SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-27 00:41:46 Reply

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz
Motherboard: EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard
Graphics Cards (Dual): EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2
RAM: 8GB G-Skill DDR2
Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB Hard Drive
Optical Drive: HP dvd1070

Still in the process of overclocking this machine.

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.
Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-27 02:48:46 Reply

If you're in the market for a new Radeon 4870, wait until mid-January. nVidia's introducing a new card, the GTX 295, and ATI will be lowering all their prices in response. :D

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-27 05:56:07 Reply

I feel like I got completely shafted by getting a GTX 280, now that the 55nm 260 c216s are out. Those cards can actually overclock high enough to surpass my OCed 280, and for $150 less.

But, an amazing thing happened this Christmas. Because my mom was doing extremely poorly financially, her family got together and decided to give my sister and I larger gifts to make up for it. I currently have $980 in hand. Enough to get this or this. But, for 250 more, I can get the LG 30'', which has triple the contrast ratio. Should I buy or save? OR I can use the money for some awesome upgrades, and even try stretching an i7 rig.

Also, how do those GX2s treat you, Sniperwolf?

LordSniffAlot145
LordSniffAlot145
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-27 19:15:08 Reply

Sup, can I join?

Since I wrote a message of, maybe 9000 characters, and then clicked "clear form", for I thought it was "post", tired as I am, I have no real motivation left to write such a long message. Again.

Therefore, I'm going to give you some quick info about what my current build is made of, and what I'm going to do with it.

Q6600, stock
P5Q-e
4870, stock
4GB 1066MHz RAM (getting 800MHz since I'm not running them in 2.1v)
Antec Twelve Hundred

Going to buy:
Water cooling (would like some recommendations)
Phenom II X4 940 (overclocking to 4.4-4.5GHz, etc)
New motherboard (AM2+)
Maybe another 4870

Now, would my Corsair 750W PSU run all this well? Would I get screamed at by my mom, because the electrical bill went up crazy?

And, should I just get a new computer in fall-winter, 2009?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-27 19:46:53 Reply

If you're going to get a new motherboard/processor, get i7. The phenom II is only competitive with the C2Qs, so if you're going to spend money on a new platform, why not go X58?

sirbobsalot2
sirbobsalot2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-28 16:14:18 Reply

Ok, after ages of delaying I'm getting the RAM tonight or tommorow, I had a quick check to make sure they still had some in stock, and a quick check over for my Motherboard.

The only problem (hopefuly not) is that the RAM runs at 800Mhz ("This memory has been verified to operate at 800MHz") and aparently my motherboard can only run up to 533Mhz ("Supported Memory: 400-533Mhz"). It did however say that the FSB (not sure what that is) runs at 800-1066Mhz.

So, in short, can my computer run this RAM?

(Back from the dead!)
Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature
sirbobsalot2
sirbobsalot2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-29 09:42:01 Reply

At 12/28/08 06:17 PM, Jezuz wrote: Your computer won't run it. You have to get cheaper RAM, and really, really should get a new motherboard/computer. Thing is outdated.

I found a Motherboard that can replace my current one *Link*, But is replacing a Motherboard a simple task? I doubt it is but I'm hoping that its simple once you get the hang of it.

(Back from the dead!)
Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature
byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-30 21:15:20 Reply

Hi, everyone.

Wow, a lot of do-it-your-selfers here. Very cool. I've been building "Frankenboxes" for a while, and it's good to see that I'm not the only one.

My rig, from the outside, looks like a cheap AOpen clone. It's not bad on the inside, though. Has 8 bays for hard drives, 4 bays for CD/DVD and other full-height devices, and is pretty easy to work on. This machine has evolved over many years, and will continue to evolve. Here's what's under the hood right now:

[ ] Intel DP45SG Mobo
[ ] Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad Core, OC'd to 3.1 ish with huge StarTech Cooler
[ ] 16GB OCZ 1333 mhz DDR3 RAM (4 x 4GB)
[ ] 4 WD 500 GB SATA drives, raid 1 (mirrored)
[ ] ATI HD3870 Video, 512MB, minor OC
[ ] 750 Watt P/S - AMD branded (I told you it was a Frankenbox!)

It's a real sweet gamer box - but I have run into a problem with the DP45SG that others on the Intel site seem to have seen as well - but have a hard time explaining or fixing permanently: If you unplug the power from the back of the rig, and let it sit for 10 minutes, then plug it back in, the power light on the on-button is on - as if it were already on. Press the power-on button, and the rig starts ok. But once it's on for a little while, and you want to do a reboot - well, that's where the second funky thing happens. EVERY reboot makes the system shut down, pause a moment, and then restart. But after a few of these, it won't restart again. It just sits on the black screen - no BIOS, no anything. Unplug the box and let it sit for 10 minutes - and you're good to go.

By the way, once it's running, it works fine, runs cool, and gives me no grief. Play for hours at a time with no hiccups.

Now, to let you know what I have tried so far to fix this thing (after many hours searching for clues on the Interweb):

1) Swapped out power supplies and verified all power / switch / panel connections
2) Removed the MoBo and installed a thin, plastic insulation layer in the case to prevent grounding and shorting issues
3) Swapped out RAM a few times. Seems like the MoBo is very picky as to the RAM type and speeds.
4) Tried it with plain-vanilla components (simple PCI vid card, single hard drive, etc)
5) Did "Out-Of-Box" setup on a piece of styrofoam to eliminate all case issues.
6) Turned off all OC - ran it all at base speeds

No matter what I tried, the results have been the same. Normally, I can deal with plugging it in before I use it, but when it becomes a pain in the posterior is when I am installing a game or system update that requires multiple reboots - and it gets stuck in the middle!

I was going to update the BIOS, but I heard some horror stories that the BIOS updates made matters worse. Nice....

So, if anyone out there has any ideas or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Proud member of the EGB |-Barracks Info-|-EGB BBS-|-EGB Website-|

BBS Signature
sirtom93
sirtom93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-30 21:38:45 Reply

Hey guys. I have no experience building a computer at all, from a glance, it does not look that hard.

Could you possibly list parts for my needs.

I am on a low budget. I want to run xubuntu and enough to run any C++ IDE. No real need for graphical output but a GPU would be usefull. What's the cheapest I can get then. Also, is the bootloader actually on the motherboard its self?

Kind regards -
Sirtom93.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-02 20:44:56 Reply

At 12/31/08 12:32 AM, Jezuz wrote: Sneaky

Looks O.K. to me. If he wants to OC at all he would need an aftermarket heatsink, but it's a fine build. I'm not sure how the drivers work exactly, but he could even get some hybrid-SLI going with the onboard video and the 9800.

SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-04 02:18:01 Reply

Overclocking attempt 1 complete, not sure if system is completely stable or not.

CPU - 2.83 GHz to 3.00 GHz (stock cooling)
GPU:
Core - 600 MHz to 675 MHz
Shader Clock - 1500 MHz to 1687 MHz
Memory Clock - 1000 MHz to 1125 MHz

I need to get around to doing an actual stability test. I know Prime95 is a good start, but I don't really have the time to check.

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-04 07:03:14 Reply

Believe me, OCing is a bitch. 8 hours of prime, check back, bios, repeat. Since people are asking a lot, I might as well put together a guide as best I can. There are a few different stress testing programs that can be used, but I'll cover the two I'm familiar with.

USING AND ANALYZING A STABILITY TEST

Getting started

Before you open up that stability program, you need a temperature monitoring program. I recommend realtemp, as it works best with newer 45nm CPUs. Temperature is a huge limiting factor, and will probably be your first hurdle if you own a quad. Most higher OCs on quads require liquid cooling, while the Duos will still need some form of high end air.

Which do I use?

Traditional torture testing takes hours, but this is where IBT shines. In a half hour, your system has been so worked that stability can be confirmed. The problem is, it raises temperatures 10-15C higher than other tests. If you don't mind seeing numbers in a danger zone, and are short on time, use Intel Burn Test.

Prime95 is more thorough in its testing options. It has 3 different tests to choose from, each doing something different. Programmed to run in the background, it only uses idle clock cycles, meaning you can even game while running it. (Although I wouldn't recommend it.)

Learn2Prime95

When you open Prime, you will be confronted with 3 tests that you can run. If this is the first time you're opening it after new settings in the bios, then select small FFTs. This stresses the CPU very hard, but other components stay idle. You will need to run prime for 4-8 hours to confirm stability Process of elimination, if you fail this test, settings having to do with your CPU will need tweaking.

What, you passed 6 hours of small FFTs? Fuck you. Next is the blend test. This is more of a memory stress than the processor. Being good in small FFTs but not blend means the memory needs tweaking. 4-8 hours here too.

If you pass both of these, you can probably say you're stable. But for those with OCD, how about you run a pass of large FFTs. If you pass this with acceptable temperatures, then welcome to your new overclock. Prime95 temps will be 5-10C higher than gaming, so don't pull the plug just because you see 60s.

Learn2IBT

Intel burn test is much more straight-forward. Open it up, and you'll be faced with a firey red command prompt. Fitting. Turning error detection off gives you a few goodies, such as how many gigaflops you're achieving. For maximum stress, dial 1. For full stability, 20 passes is suitable.

If you turned error detection off, then you are the judge of stability. For each completed pass, compare the residual to the residual(norm). If they match, that test was passed. You will see very high temperatures on this program. Don't worry, as long as they don't break 80s. Then worry. Your computer will be almost completely bricked during IBT, because it uses almost every scrap of system resources. And yes, a BSoD does mean you failed IBT.

Congratulations, you now know how to test stability. Behold the endless cycle of trial and error that is overclocking. Anyone with anything else to add feel free, because I know I didn't cover everything.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-05 16:15:39 Reply

Kay gaywads. I'm back with a question.

I might be getting a new 22" monitor. Was thinkin' bout getting a 24" but my fps will drop. I was looking at some computer room pictures and saw someone's monitor and I was like, HOLY SHIT that's big I bet it's a 24" or bigger, but it was actually just a 22".

I think a 22" will be okay and won't eat too much of my fps. Also cheaper.

My problem is I don't know which one to get.

I've got this one and this one on my mind. Sorry for it being polish but the tech specs are understandable. If you're curious, 1 USD, is about 3 PLN. The tax is already included in the price in Poland though.

I want a dvi monitor that's 22", 2 ms or 5ms, that doesn't have shit colors, dead pixels, etc. Nothing too low pl0x.

illiriks
illiriks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-05 20:28:55 Reply

I havent built a computer for myself, i build them to others. They pay me a lot of money. I buy used Thinkpads and pimp them.

GCS/J d- s+:+ a--- c++++ U++ P+ L+ E W+++ N- o K+++ w++++ O- M V-- PS-- PE++ Y++ PGP++++ t 5* X R+++ tv b++ DI+++ D++ G++ e+ h++ r++ y?

SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-05 23:43:56 Reply

Fuck me my motherboard stopped working, and won't boot or post, on different power supplies, with and without RAM or the CPU.

Great. If I can't get the RMA approved for it, I will now have a fancy $250 doorstop.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-06 04:52:36 Reply

Does it at least give a long beep or show something on the led or whatever? Get your manual out and figure out what your MB is telling you!

SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-06 18:57:42 Reply

At 1/6/09 04:52 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Does it at least give a long beep or show something on the led or whatever? Get your manual out and figure out what your MB is telling you!

Does nothing, and I know someone who has a spare processor. If it does boot with that processor, then I am fucked, since an overclocked processor = big no no with computers.

BBS Signature
SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-06 18:59:25 Reply

At 1/6/09 06:57 PM, SniperWolf1564 wrote: big no no with computers.

Correction = warranty.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-06 19:04:24 Reply

Hey guise

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-06 19:31:21 Reply

At 1/6/09 07:04 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Hey guise

Sup?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-07 06:28:11 Reply

At 1/6/09 07:31 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 1/6/09 07:04 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Hey guise
Sup?

Nothin much, you?

Computer Construction Crew

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-08 05:22:03 Reply

At 1/8/09 03:20 AM, Jezuz wrote: WINDOWS 7 BETA ON THE 9TH OMG OMG. Seriously, I can't wait to try this out. I've actually heard decent things about it from the pirates.

I'll wait for the official release and for my next build for 7. I'm fine with vista for now and I'm not spending 2 days formatting my raid array just to have to format it again the next time I switch MBs.

benavides20
benavides20
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-08 07:40:23 Reply

im thinking of makeing my own computer i just need some help wih brands and parts im not rich so help?

i need parts to fit a pentium 4

and min 2.6Ghz prosesor

i am nobody and nobodys perfect there for i am perfect

BBS Signature
benavides20
benavides20
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-08 08:17:47 Reply

ok so Dual core?

i am nobody and nobodys perfect there for i am perfect

BBS Signature
Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-08 08:21:21 Reply

someone tell me what cheap internal 500gb hard drive I should buy and I will

if you can find higher specs for a very cheap price then let me know too

ps I live in the UK and use the pound sterling

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-11 07:01:36 Reply

This is more a matter of opinion, but, I think I need to consider it. I move back and forth between my dad's every other weekend, and I drag my computer along with me. Of course I'm careful, but I'm worried about my hard drives. They've beeen doing fine so far, but I was thinking of making the investment in 3 250 gig SSDs in raid 0. This would be more reliable since SSDs are just huge Usb sticks, and wouldn't be so prone to the vibrations and bumps of transport. Is it worth the trouble?