00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

185,864 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-11 15:03:12

At 1/11/09 08:27 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Update: looked at prices and gawked at myself for considering it. Also:

Woah.

Imagine 3 295s on there.

droooooooool

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-11 19:36:01

I decided not to sell my 9600 GT and PSU so I can buy a better GPU and Power Supply so that I can play on a 1920 x 1200 resolution and get decent FPS. Why? Because it's not worth it. It's just a waste of cash really. Besides, I'm fine with a 17".

I'm just gonna save up and get a completely new computer in a year. I wonder what CPU and GPU I'll get then.

You guys up for running 3dmark06 with Intergrated cards and seeing who has best score?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-11 20:26:38

At 1/11/09 07:36 PM, TacoFreak wrote: You guys up for running 3dmark06 with Intergrated cards and seeing who has best score?

My dad would win. His new HTPC, if he decides to buy it, would have a 9300 chipset in it.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-12 11:18:35

Let's do it anyways.

Are there anything I have to keep in mind while switching to intergrated? Will everything be the same when I change it back to my 9600 GT?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-12 11:48:41

At 1/12/09 11:46 AM, Jezuz wrote: Haha, I don't have an integrated card. It's completely picture less without a graphics card installed.

Hey guys, when you shut off your computer, and it makes that CLICK TSSSsss noise, what is it? Because it sort of is doing it while it's on while running W7. I'm slightly worried.

Don't really know what you're talking about, you can't really describe a sound with words. Try google or something. It could be the HDD though.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-12 13:12:39

It looks nice but I like basic shit like XP. I don't like lots of gradients. Although I haven't tried it so I can't really say from a screenshot.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-12 16:47:32

Hey guys Xfire is having a contest. You need to capture a video of an explosion and if you get enough "cool" votes you will win a prize. By that I mean top 3 get a GTX260 card.

Here's the link http://www.xfire.com/video/63542/

Just vote as "cool" please. <3

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-13 06:19:34

I heard the 7 beta can cause hard drive corruption, so I'm not going to bother making a partition, at least until the real thing comes out. Also, has anyone else wondered why this windows build doesn't have a codename, like vista, XP, 98, or the rest did?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-13 15:10:48

I downloaded the W7 beta last night (at 2.5 MBps - gotta love the university connection), and will be installing it as a secondary OS once I get my new computer. Speaking of which, I've made a lot of changes.

Current build

I've gone from full ATX to Micro ATX and from Intel to AMD, saving myself over 600 bucks in the process. Now it's below 2K! The case I chose will accept longer video cards (and I'm getting the longest one on the market - Sapphire 4850 X2) as long as the hard drive cage is moved. I don't have the tools to drill new holes and stuff to put the cage in a new place, so I'm gonna put one of the hard drives in the 3.5" bay and the other one in one of the 5.25" bay with that "hard drive silencer" acting as a converter.

Since I'm in a smaller case, I don't have as much room for a big CPU cooler, so I'm going with a smaller one. I'm still planning on OCing it a bit, not as much though, due to the smaller cooler and an AMD chip. I've been giving serious thought to water cooling, though - does anyone here have experience with it?

And I'm not going to be getting XP as a primary OS anymore, I'm gonna get either Vista x64 Premium or Ultimate. My dad's laptop came with Premium 64 SP1, and it's great - I had no problems with it. Again, I'll be getting it off eBay.

As for my monitor, I'll be getting two BenQ G2400WDs and two of these puppies :D

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-13 15:50:45

At 1/13/09 03:10 PM, Rig wrote:
I from Intel to AMD

You've made the right choice, Rig. Which processor are you getting? Phenom?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-13 16:30:38

At 1/13/09 03:50 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
At 1/13/09 03:10 PM, Rig wrote: from Intel to AMD

Phenom II, 3.0 GHz. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 08:59:24

At 1/13/09 04:30 PM, Rig wrote:
At 1/13/09 03:50 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
At 1/13/09 03:10 PM, Rig wrote: from Intel to AMD
Phenom II, 3.0 GHz. :D

Nice one. You gonna overclock it?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 15:52:02

Phenom II is still clock for clock slower than C2Qs, which is a horrible blow to AMD supporters, and people like me who were hoping the new Phenoms would push down Intel's prices. Since you would be getting a whole new platform, you should still go Intel. Unfortunately, the only people these new AMD's is worth it for is those who already have an AM2 board, like tacofreak.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 16:05:37

At 1/14/09 03:52 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Unfortunately, the only people these new AMD's is worth it for is those who already have an AM2 board, like tacofreak.

Or, you know, those who are building a new system and want to keep it at a decent price. Like me. :D
Good news - I finally got my money, so I can FINALLY ORDER THIS THING! Bad news - the motherboard is out of stock. Should I order the rest now, or wait?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 16:17:49

At 1/14/09 04:05 PM, Rig wrote: Good news - I finally got my money, so I can FINALLY ORDER THIS THING! Bad news - the motherboard is out of stock.
Should I order the rest now, or wait?

By the time they've got it back in stock it would've (should've?) come down in price. Which means you could get a better revised one for nearly the same price. That's what one of my friends did, he saved 20 euros and ended up with a better CPU than planned by waiting 2 weeks...

I think I've posted here before, I don't recall.

Don't mind me...

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 16:37:50

Graww. My friend just said his parents bought him a gaming computer. I asked for the specs, and he said 7 gigs of ram and an Nvidia 6600. It kills me inside when people buy from Dell or HP and have no fucking idea how badly they get ripped off. So I've decided to make a business out of building computers, whether through ebay or whatever. Any ideas for such a thing?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 16:49:47

At 1/14/09 04:37 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Graww. My friend just said his parents bought him a gaming computer. I asked for the specs, and he said 7 gigs of ram and an Nvidia 6600. It kills me inside when people buy from Dell or HP and have no fucking idea how badly they get ripped off.

I used to be one of those poor shmucks until a few months ago.

So I've decided to make a business out of building computers, whether through ebay or whatever. Any ideas for such a thing?

Since I started building mine, I've had the same idea. You'd have to do side-by-side comparisons to show the layman that they'd be getting a better deal from you than Dell or HP or whoever. Start with your friends, then branch out. There's tons of people out there who are doing the same thing you want to do, you have to differentiate either with better deals or some exclusive thing, like you'll build them custom cases.

I have CNC experience and have been seriously thinking about making my own custom cases.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 17:07:48

At 1/14/09 04:37 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Graww. My friend just said his parents bought him a gaming computer. I asked for the specs, and he said 7 gigs of ram and an Nvidia 6600. It kills me inside when people buy from Dell or HP and have no fucking idea how badly they get ripped off. So I've decided to make a business out of building computers, whether through ebay or whatever. Any ideas for such a thing?

Yeah that stuff makes me die a little inside. My friend told me he was getting a 'gaming' computer a while back. I asked for specs and he replied, AMD phenom, 8 GB ram, annnnnnnnd an intergrated graphics card.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-14 17:10:08

Oh right and, I wonder what processor I'll get when I get a new rig in a year. I probably shouldn't worry about it now though. I am saving up so I can get a really good computer. I will for sure get a high end graphics card capable for SLI. The processor doesn't have to amazing, but I'll probably get something nice. Quad for sure. Dunno if it will be Intel or AMD though...

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-15 16:49:52

At 1/14/09 05:10 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Dunno if it will be Intel or AMD though...

If you're getting it in a year, I wouldn't even think about the specifics now. Who knows what surprises lie in store.

Speaking of stores, I went on to TigerDirect.ca to see if I could build a similar computer to this Newegg build for a lower price. It costs over TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS MORE. I sent them an angry email regarding this price gouging, and I'll post the reply here (if I get any). ;P

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-16 05:32:58

I think you mean two hundred dollars more rig. Also, TD isn't all bad, I use them when I need to get something tax free.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 12:29:15

ok guys, I am considering to make my own rig. I have a tv and plan to just add a table and a monitor next to it so I can watch movies on the tv and game on the monitor.

I have no prior knowledge in constructing computers. Where do I start? Do I buy an empty case and start filling it with stuff or do I get a cheap computer and upgrade some things?

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 16:43:46

ok so i am going to build a computer from the ground up and right now i am stuck on what to get for the motherboard.... I would like to get only a max of dual-core unless you can explain to me why i should get quad-core... right now i kind of have decided to get intel dual core for the processor. But mainly i want to use my computer for processing i guess..... I just want it to be able to run flash smoother. Any ideas??

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 16:45:31

Look at this weird computer.

Weird Computer.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 16:54:04

At 1/17/09 12:29 PM, Fleshlight wrote: ok guys, I am considering to make my own rig. I have a tv and plan to just add a table and a monitor next to it so I can watch movies on the tv and game on the monitor.

I have no prior knowledge in constructing computers. Where do I start? Do I buy an empty case and start filling it with stuff or do I get a cheap computer and upgrade some things?

These are the basics. I never built one either but I know some stuff.

If you have all the parts, first you start by screwing in the Motherboard. Then you screw in the PSU. The parts should come with instructions on how to install the parts so you should be good. I suggest googling it for detailed instructions.

Good luck.

At 1/17/09 04:43 PM, crazysalt wrote: ok so i am going to build a computer from the ground up and right now i am stuck on what to get for the motherboard.... I would like to get only a max of dual-core unless you can explain to me why i should get quad-core... right now i kind of have decided to get intel dual core for the processor. But mainly i want to use my computer for processing i guess..... I just want it to be able to run flash smoother. Any ideas??

You don't need a quad core for flash, but if you have the money you can get one. You probably won't change your mind but if you are low on cash you can get an AMD processor, they are cheaper.

For motherboard you have to see what type of processor you have (like the model) so you know if it will fit.

At 1/17/09 04:45 PM, Dead-Body-Man wrote: Look at this weird computer.

Weird Computer.

I don't see anything... Do I need to sign up?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 16:59:47

Fleshlight, you need to be a little more specific in your budget, and what you want from a computer before anyone can help you figure out a build.

Crazy salt, applications like flash just need a little bit more ram. If you can help us figure out your current motherboard, you get your flash running smoother for little over $50.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 17:01:18

At 1/17/09 04:54 PM, TacoFreak wrote: You don't need a quad core for flash, but if you have the money you can get one. You probably won't change your mind but if you are low on cash you can get an AMD processor, they are cheaper.

For motherboard you have to see what type of processor you have (like the model) so you know if it will fit.

ok well lets just say i was getting this processor....

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200

what type of mother board do you recommend because the one i am running right now has that alternative shit what is it like agp vs. pci? well i just bought a sound card today and it wouldent hook into my computer... :( so that sucks but thats why im rebuilding also. Other than figuring out what motherboard to get i think i have everything figured out... ill get my ram from crucial.com ill go to fry's to get some fans, ill transfer over my existing hard drive ill get a case from newegg and use my existing cd drives. i will probably though need to shop around for a new graphics card though any ideas?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 17:09:02

At 1/17/09 05:01 PM, crazysalt wrote:
At 1/17/09 04:54 PM, TacoFreak wrote: You don't need a quad core for flash, but if you have the money you can get one. You probably won't change your mind but if you are low on cash you can get an AMD processor, they are cheaper.

ok well lets just say i was getting this processor....

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200

what type of mother board do you recommend because the one i am running right now has that alternative shit what is it like agp vs. pci? well i just bought a sound card today and it wouldent hook into my computer... :( so that sucks but thats why im rebuilding also. Other than figuring out what motherboard to get i think i have everything figured out... ill get my ram from crucial.com ill go to fry's to get some fans, ill transfer over my existing hard drive ill get a case from newegg and use my existing cd drives. i will probably though need to shop around for a new graphics card though any ideas?

That's a nice processor you have there, but especially because the core purpose of you making this build is running flash, I would suggest the e8400. It has a bigger cache, (basically a processor's memory) ,and the benefit of that is monolithic when multi-tasking. For that processor, you would need a 775 motherboard. What you want and need from your computer will more specifically decide which you'll get. One of these factors is that sound card, which I'm guessing is PCI-e x1. Be as specific as you can, and we can help you sort out a shopping cart.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 17:27:06

i definitely like your idea of getting Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 for my processor but what motherboard should i get, and i will try to be specific but i have no clue what you need to know, the sound card thing is irrelevant im going to get a PCI compatabl motherboard now because they basically stopped making agp motherboards right? I was just letting you know that was one reason i was building a new computer because it bothers me that i have agp and to fix that i need basically a new everything so why not make a new good everything? But ya defiantly just ask me what you need to know and ill answer you to the best of my knowledge....

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-01-17 18:01:54

At 1/17/09 04:59 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Fleshlight, you need to be a little more specific in your budget, and what you want from a computer before anyone can help you figure out a build.

Well I don't want to spend way too much cash. I'm just thinking it would be better, cost and quality wise, if I build a computer from scratch. All I really need is something that can play counterstrike source on (which practically any computer can play nowadays) and maybe crysis on medium settings. Can I get this for less than $500?

My brother knows a lot more about this stuff than I do so he'll help me out with this, but he never built a computer.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|