New Topic Respond to this Topic
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 22nd, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 7/22/10 05:00 AM, ablahblah wrote: your old PC wasn't a dell, right?

Old PC was not a dell, nope.

1 - psu 2 - motherboard 3 - cpu. PSU you said worked before, which checks it out, unless it was a Dell PSU.

Not a DELL however it now no longer works with my previous mobo so I suspect the PSU. Also at my friends advice I shorted the 24pin with it just plugged into an optical drive and nothing happened so I reckon it's gone or something.

Motherboard, eh, see if it has a display on it. Should be a small square that can display two numbers at once, sorta like how a digital clock displays numbers. If it has one, which it should, watch it when you try to start the computer up and see if it does anything, gets stuck at a number/code, etc.

No display panel :(

The CPU I'm suspecting as the most likely culprit. Get the cooler off, remove the CPU, and make sure nothing's bent in the socket, nothing looks wrong, and make sure it goes in right. Reapply TIM, don't forget. Never reuse old TIM.

Will look into that when I get me some thermal paste. The cooler came with pre-spread paste or whatever so I don't have any to hand.

Last thing is that you mentioned slow spinning fans?

A single case fan, the CPU cooler fan, and the GPU fan. All pretty standard. All connected to the mobo (well the GPU fan to the graphics card).
Will try unplugging and booting tomorrow

ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:35 AM Reply

if you shorted it up and a dvd drive wouldn't work attached to it, then the PSU's 99% dead. swap it out and see if that works. BTW, did the DVD Drive STILL WORK after you reconnected back to its original PSU?? if it didnt...err...it may have just fried everything in your comp.

well, at least the PSU didn't set on fire or anything. really really sucks when that happens, lol.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 23rd, 2010 @ 06:53 PM Reply

At 7/23/10 07:35 AM, ablahblah wrote: if you shorted it up and a dvd drive wouldn't work attached to it, then the PSU's 99% dead. swap it out and see if that works. BTW, did the DVD Drive STILL WORK after you reconnected back to its original PSU?? if it didnt...err...it may have just fried everything in your comp.

well, at least the PSU didn't set on fire or anything. really really sucks when that happens, lol.

lmaowat

Also it's my old PSU, so I don't have any other.
I'm quite concerned because I tested my PSU with both my old mobo and new mobo, would hate to have destroyed the new one. Irritatingly enough, my only friend who's built his on PC is now refusing to let me borrow his because he's a scag who can't be arsed to take his PC apart for a friend

:(

mario-dude
mario-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 24th, 2010 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 7/22/10 07:09 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 7/13/10 10:53 AM, mario-dude wrote: Still pissed off that my First build won't connect to the internet. But hugging it at the same time because it is the best computer i have ever owned.
Download network drivers from another computer and install them.

Tried that before. Doesn't work.

Honestly, i think i've tried everything. Short of building another computer.

mario-dude
mario-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jul. 24th, 2010 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 7/24/10 11:34 PM, mario-dude wrote:
At 7/22/10 07:09 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 7/13/10 10:53 AM, mario-dude wrote: Still pissed off that my First build won't connect to the internet. But hugging it at the same time because it is the best computer i have ever owned.
Download network drivers from another computer and install them.
Tried that before. Doesn't work.

Honestly, i think i've tried everything. Short of building another computer.

Oh and if you want more information about this here problem, then i wrote a story about it here

Sweeper128
Sweeper128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 05:49 PM Reply

Needs a card to replace a 4870x2 after it corrupted itself. Thinking about a Geforce 460, but is this the better choice for similar prices?

Intel Quad 2.66Hz and 4GB RAM - no idea about the mobo due to getting it from PC World.

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature
gostgamer
gostgamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 08:51 AM Reply

This question may seem out place but, I think this would be the place to ask it. Does anyone know any brands that make good laptops?

" I'm not bullying any one, I'm just giving out really harsh constructive criticism"

BBS Signature
blitzboy111
blitzboy111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 12:06 PM Reply

Hey, I just got a new computer with a shitty graphics card, and I've been looking to upgrade to a better one so I can play shit like TF2 and L4D2 In high quality.... Anyone got any recommendations?

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 24th, 2010 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 9/11/10 12:06 PM, blitzboy111 wrote: Hey, I just got a new computer with a shitty graphics card, and I've been looking to upgrade to a better one so I can play shit like TF2 and L4D2 In high quality.... Anyone got any recommendations?

What graphics card do you have?

For L4D or TF2, a Radeon 4850 should be just fine.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 11:23 AM Reply

Hi. I need a new computer! I want a computer that is good for gaming, that won't lag. The one I have now is a piece of crap. I also want the computer to have a good amount of space on it, and I want it to be really quiet. (Because I record a lot of stuff with my microphone and I don't want to be able to hear the computer fan across the room.) I already have the operating system disks (Win7 and Vista). My budget is around 1,200$, and I have no idea what I am doing... so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction?

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Computer Construction Crew Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 07:03 PM Reply

By the way, I could care less what the computer case itself looks like.

And if anyone knows of a computer that suits my needs as described above, (and under 1,200 ish) could you link it to me?

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Computer Construction Crew Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 07:31 PM Reply

Did I kill the thread?

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 9/24/10 06:31 PM, Rig wrote: What graphics card do you have?

For L4D or TF2, a Radeon 4850 should be just fine.

Um, a 4850 would be more appropriate to run Crysis or GTA4. To run L4d or TF2, a 9800 or hell, even a 9600 for 80$ would be still an over kill for those games, hahahaha.

At 10/3/10 07:31 PM, Animator1mike wrote: Did I kill the thread?

You can build a killer computer for 600. For 1200, we're talking about being future-proof for the closest five years and be very much on the very bleeding edge of technology - also, it would be hard to find parts that would use all that money without going to the pro-gamer territory where you could get a very beefed-up graphics card. Also, do some research on the internet (Google... come on, use it, it's begging to be your slave). There are dozens of good guilds on the web.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 12:58 PM Reply

At 10/6/10 06:03 AM, ActionSplash wrote: Based on what I've been reading in here, I'm thinking that I went a bit overkill on my system. Here's my hardware:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 (up to 24GB of RAM supported)
6 GB 1333 MHz Kingston DDR3
Intel Core i7 920 (OCed to 3.6 GHz)
PowerColor Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
1 TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache (sucky HDD lol)
24 inch ASUS monitor @ 1920x1080 resolution, 2 ms response time, 20000:1 contrast

The system should stay up to date until the beginning of 2012. Have fun till then.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
McZero
McZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Oct. 30th, 2010 @ 02:11 PM Reply

I finally got all my funds together for a decent computer.
http://i53.tinypic.com/xpzcdu.png
(Got from a chart on 4chan's /g/)
Any suggestions to cut costs even more?

McZero
McZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Oct. 30th, 2010 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 10/30/10 02:11 PM, McZero wrote: I finally got all my funds together for a decent computer.
http://i53.tinypic.com/xpzcdu.png
(Got from a chart on 4chan's /g/)
Any suggestions to cut costs even more?

Oh and this will be for.

Fallout NV on it's highest settings, and hopefully even better for the graphic enhancement mods.
Sims 3 on highest.
Oblivion and TESV on highest and graphic enhancement mod.
Any future PC games on medium-high,

So, if I need too, I can add about fifty bucks but only if necessary.

Rockyusa
Rockyusa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 09:26 AM Reply

A bit of a bump, but I might just need some help here.
What do you guys think (without OS)?

Case-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811133177
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811119235
CPU/Motherboard-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealD etails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.544317
OR
CPU-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16819103808
Motherboard-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16813130308
Graphics-
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/

searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=55664 50
RAM-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16820231277
Hard Drive-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16822148337

Total Price WO shipping- $710.93
With- $735.76

I'm also getting a Heatsink along with some Thermal Compound (just in case).

So overall, I plan to spend around $772.74 WITHOUT the operating system. What do you guys think?

At 6/3/11 10:56 PM, BlakeMo wrote:
: I have no sexual orientation
: ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING HAS POTENTIAL TO BE BLESSED BY MY PENETRATION

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 11/7/10 09:26 AM, Rockyusa wrote: 6 core or 955?

I've got a 955, I love it. I looked at the 6-core proc when buying (early summer this year), and decided against it. I have no regrets, the 955's done me well

Rockyusa
Rockyusa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 11/7/10 10:01 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 11/7/10 09:26 AM, Rockyusa wrote: 6 core or 955?
I've got a 955, I love it. I looked at the 6-core proc when buying (early summer this year), and decided against it. I have no regrets, the 955's done me well

Exactly what I was thinking.
I mostly plan on doing gaming and video editing, so I think the setup is fine for me.
Do I really need a heatsink though? I heard that the Ice graphics card comes with a built-in heatsink that also touches with the GPU. I would get it to be safe, but I do kind of have a budget.
Also, a cheaper motherboard that still works around with my other parts would be great.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 03:34 PM Reply

.....yes

a cpu cooler is an essential part of a computer. for it to function whatseover.

Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 09:06 PM Reply

So I bought myself a GTX470.

About time I decided to do it :3

kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 04:10 PM Reply

look this might not be the best place to ask. but i got an alienware computer. (please don't make fun of it or me.) but it brought a window7 backup c-d and i install it making all the files go into a windows.old file. then somehow i lost the windows. old files so im looking to see if their is something i can download that fixes the alienware to its normal brand new way.

p.s. help me guys if not point me in the right direction.

BBS Signature
Rockyusa
Rockyusa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 17th, 2010 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 11/11/10 04:10 PM, kidd25 wrote: look this might not be the best place to ask. but i got an alienware computer. (please don't make fun of it or me.) but it brought a window7 backup c-d and i install it making all the files go into a windows.old file. then somehow i lost the windows. old files so im looking to see if their is something i can download that fixes the alienware to its normal brand new way.

p.s. help me guys if not point me in the right direction.

You really need to improve your grammar, as I really can't tell what you want. I guess you could use system restore, so just restore it to a date that you DIDN'T install that backup.

Also, time for some needed help. Final layout with an Nvidia card-

Operating System
Heatsink
Power Supply
Hard Drive
CPU
Ram
Motherboard
Case

Now, here is my predicament- The Graphics
I have four to choose from, going from first to last in what I would prefer, but what I really want to know is what is compatible and what would be the best for my performance (mostly playing source games, maybe a bit of BFBC2, Crysis, Black Ops on medium or low).
Will it work, and what graphics card do you think I should get?

GPU1
GPU2
GPU3
GPU4

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 17th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

Oh, cool, I might as well post my recent quick moneymaker in here. Might get some pics later, although it's nothing to lose any sleep over, lol.

Just upgrading a lawyers dell. It's a single core pile from the 90s. Ran down to the local computer parts place and picked up a gigabyte motherboard, nothing special, just whatever was on sale, 2gigs of DDR3, and a dual core celeron. 2.50ghz a core. Just gonna slap it in real fast for a quick couple hundred dollars in my pocket.

The machines I built for myself and family are much better, but I suppose nobody cares if I go in detail about those...at least not without some pictures...

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 19th, 2010 @ 01:43 AM Reply

Random pic setup for customer. It's actually finished now, I just didn't bother snapping another pic.

Threw his hard drive in and windows XP just lost it. Gives me some error message about how there 'may be a virus' on the computer and tells me to run scandisk.

Plugged it back in the old machine - runs fine.

Not sure what to do at this point really. I haven't run into this issue before. Customer is running XP Home, has legit serial code, but no software disk or recovery cd.

Computer Construction Crew

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 19th, 2010 @ 04:06 PM Reply

Hey guys, I've got a laptop question for y'all.

My Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 laptop won't turn on. I think the motherboard or power distributor is fried. I was publishing a video & it was clocking at 100% most of the time, eventually it turned off. I discovered it off & switched it back on. Shortly after booting I heard a loud *ping!* & the laptop wouldn't turn on.

I've tried just using the battery & using the power lead without the battery plugged in, but I don't get a single LED coming on the laptop. What should I do to fix this?

Also, if I take it to the Fujitsu Siemens repair service or PC World, is it true that they need to scan your entire hard disk for illegal files so that they can't be blamed for it?

I'm replacing the HDD (below) just encase.

Computer Construction Crew

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 19th, 2010 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 11/19/10 04:06 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: I've tried just using the battery & using the power lead without the battery plugged in, but I don't get a single LED coming on the laptop. What should I do to fix this?

I'd start by checking the power supply. If you have access to a multimeter this is an extremely easy test. I would also think that there would be an led on the power supply itself to signify it's receiving power. If it turns out to have no voltage, problem solved. If it's good, your motherboard is toast. From there it's anybodies guess. You can try and order one and replace it yourself, but it's nowhere near as easy as a desktop motherboard replacement would be. Be knowledgeable and prepared for the worst if you go this route. You can also get a quote from a repair shop, and most likely when you do, throw it away and buy a new one.

Also, if I take it to the Fujitsu Siemens repair service or PC World, is it true that they need to scan your entire hard disk for illegal files so that they can't be blamed for it?

I doubt it...unless they tell you that up front. I wouldn't bother paying outrageous fees for repair though until you rule out the basics first.

I'm replacing the HDD (below) just encase.

Replacing the hard drive will NOT solve your power problem. I guarantee you that much. You better have an operating system disk ready as well, and you will lose all your files...

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 20th, 2010 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 11/19/10 05:06 PM, SeeD419 wrote: I'd start by checking the power supply. If you have access to a multimeter this is an extremely easy test.

Good idea, I should get one. I'm on a computer course at college that involves mostly hardware.

I would also think that there would be an led on the power supply itself to signify it's receiving power. If it turns out to have no voltage, problem solved. If it's good, your motherboard is toast. From there it's anybodies guess. You can try and order one and replace it yourself, but it's nowhere near as easy as a desktop motherboard replacement would be.

What complications could come into play?

Be knowledgeable and prepared for the worst if you go this route. You can also get a quote from a repair shop, and most likely when you do, throw it away and buy a new one.

That's essentially what I'm doing, asset stripping the pieces for spares of course.

I doubt it...unless they tell you that up front. I wouldn't bother paying outrageous fees for repair though until you rule out the basics first.

Aright. Though, they did that with Gary Glitter & in 10 minutes they found Captain Picard.

Replacing the hard drive will NOT solve your power problem. I guarantee you that much. You better have an operating system disk ready as well, and you will lose all your files...

You're misunderstanding me. I'm replacing the HDD so they don't scan through all my personal files on the other disk.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 20th, 2010 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 11/20/10 03:47 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: What complications could come into play?

It's just really time consuming. There's far more screws, proprietary setups you will run into, as opposed to swapping out a desktop motherboard. With a desktop you can pretty much swap it out in 20 minutes and be good to go, where as with a laptop I'd want to take my time with it. It's just a bigger project. That and the fact that you can buy a desktop motherboard anywhere, for a laptop I'm pretty sure you have to order that specific model's board from the manufacturer, as opposed to just throwing in one of many options.

Aright. Though, they did that with Gary Glitter & in 10 minutes they found Captain Picard.

Wow, lol. Well then don't quote me on that, but you'd think that they would tell you upfront.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm replacing the HDD so they don't scan through all my personal files on the other disk.

Oh sorry, I did misunderstand you. I deal with people a lot who have no idea what they're talking about with computers so I just assume the worst anymore, lol.

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Rockyusa
Rockyusa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Nov. 20th, 2010 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 11/19/10 01:43 AM, SeeD419 wrote: Random pic setup for customer. It's actually finished now, I just didn't bother snapping another pic.

Threw his hard drive in and windows XP just lost it. Gives me some error message about how there 'may be a virus' on the computer and tells me to run scandisk.

Plugged it back in the old machine - runs fine.

Not sure what to do at this point really. I haven't run into this issue before. Customer is running XP Home, has legit serial code, but no software disk or recovery cd.

That looks like it has bad cable management. Try to make it a bit more tidy (thus, it will increase airflow).
As for the virus problem you are having, I can't help you there. The only thing I would suggest is getting Windows 7 Home Premium (or maybe even linux if you are short on money) and reformatting your drive. If you don't want to do that, you could also get a new hard drive, forget your old one, and get (like I said before) Windows 7 or Linux (Linux is free and would count as a placeholder until you can fork up the money for an actual mainstream operating system).

BBS Signature