Blank Slate
wildface098
wildface098
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 5th, 2009 @ 07:47 PM Reply

Hey guys can i join this club? I work on PC's all the time. my hardrive gets better every day.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 5th, 2009 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 2/5/09 07:47 PM, wildface098 wrote: my hardrive gets better every day.

*fixes throat*, what?

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 8th, 2009 @ 07:01 AM Reply

At 2/5/09 07:47 PM, wildface098 wrote: Hey guys can i join this club? I work on PC's all the time. my hardrive gets better every day.

Cool. I just installed 8 terrabytes of DDR6 ram, and now my processor can run at 1.2 jigahertz.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 8th, 2009 @ 10:16 AM Reply

god damn it I need to take out my battery but its so fucking tight it wont come out

Sk8erGirI14
Sk8erGirI14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 01:41 PM Reply

Hai need a gaming cumpooter kthnx lololol

Well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god
1,000th post l Sig Made by BananaBreadMuffin l First Chapter l Volleyball Crew

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 2/9/09 01:41 PM, Sk8erGirI14 wrote: Hai need a gaming cumpooter kthnx lololol

Stop trolling, Taco.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 04:18 PM Reply

Aight so I ordered a Case, 2 case fans and a gaming mouse but have to wait till Thursday till they ship it so if I'm lucky I'll get it in Friday.

Also I tightened my RAM to 4-4-4-12 from 5-5-5-16

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 08:36 PM Reply

Burnout paradise pushes my computer hard than crysis!

Crysis GPU: 73
Burnout GPU: 79

I actually hardlocked while playing it. I've had stutters before, but never hardlocks.

SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 10:34 PM Reply

Since it seems I am getting a replacement motherboard for the one I (possibly) shorted out, what are the chances that I will have a processor that has been fried?

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.
Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature
TheWolfe
TheWolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 12:15 AM Reply

I'm trying to get into computer building. So far the only things I'm completely LOST with are:

Compatibility among parts
-and-
Types of graphics cards

With the first one, I know the basic "You need an intel motherboard if you're going to use intel" but beyond that I have no idea. For example, do ALL motherboards fit in ALL towers? All graphics cards into all motherboards? All fans onto all motherboards? Etc etc. And the followup question: if not, how can I tell when which ones they DO work with?

The second is just my confusion on the several companies of graphics cards, what numbers mean what, and the "PCI Express slot, blah" and all that terminology.

Can someone explain this or point me towards a guide/site that can explain it all?

RAWR.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 05:28 AM Reply

At 2/10/09 12:15 AM, TheWolfe wrote: I'm trying to get into computer building. So far the only things I'm completely LOST with are:

Compatibility among parts
-and-
Types of graphics cards

With the first one, I know the basic "You need an intel motherboard if you're going to use intel" but beyond that I have no idea. For example, do ALL motherboards fit in ALL towers? All graphics cards into all motherboards? All fans onto all motherboards? Etc etc. And the followup question: if not, how can I tell when which ones they DO work with?

The second is just my confusion on the several companies of graphics cards, what numbers mean what, and the "PCI Express slot, blah" and all that terminology.

Can someone explain this or point me towards a guide/site that can explain it all?

In a nutshell.

CASES: Most motherboards are in an ATX form factor, which goes along with most cases. Some cases are small and will only fit MicroATX MBs. If you're building a gaming rig, you don't usually want this.

MOTHERBOARDS: There are two kinds of intel CPU MBs. One chipset (basis of a motherboard) is made by intel, which allows crossfire technology and generally higher overclocks. The other chipsets are by NVidia, which are more often faulty, and harder to overclock, but allow SLI. The only intel chipset allowing SLI is the x58.

GPUS: I'll tell you about nvidia's lineup since I don't know much about ATI. Essentially, the 9 and 200 series cards are the primary gamer cards to buy. The first number in the name is the card series.

E.G. 9XXX GT

The rest of the name declares it's position on the lineup.

E.G. 9800 > 9500

All modern graphics cards fit into a PCI-e x16 slot, so no worries there.

That's all my attention span will allow for now, others can feel free to add to this explanation of compatibility, because God knows I won't.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 06:17 AM Reply

The heat on my GPU is becoming a serious problem, and I don't know why it's getting worse like this. Without my window open, my card won't support any kind of overclock AT ALL. The difference is about 5-10 fps in games.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 08:33 AM Reply

Get a GPU cooler.

They aren't that expensive. I am thinking of getting one but my 9600 GT is already nearly at it's OC limits.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 01:41 PM Reply

At 2/10/09 08:33 AM, TacoFreak wrote: They aren't that expensive. I am thinking of getting one but my 9600 GT is already nearly at it's OC limits.

Not ever graphics card can accept one. And I would actually recommend not getting one, the oc'ing isn't worth it and you most likely reach the card's limit anyways because hitting a stage where over heating becomes an issue.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Added a fan next to the GPU. Idles have dropped 4C.

*Glee*

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 2/10/09 04:25 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Added a fan next to the GPU. Idles have dropped 4C.

Some insane benefits right there.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 2/10/09 07:56 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 2/10/09 04:25 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Added a fan next to the GPU. Idles have dropped 4C.
Some insane benefits right there.

I'm opening up my Gfx card and reapplying the paste this weekend. Can't wait for real results.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 11th, 2009 @ 12:39 AM Reply

At 2/10/09 08:58 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: I'm opening up my Gfx card and reapplying the paste this weekend. Can't wait for real results.

Good luck with that, I hope it doesn't break.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 11th, 2009 @ 08:46 AM Reply

What's your GPU fan speed?

I keep mine at 40%, it's silent then. I only hear the pleasant humming of my AC64pro.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 11th, 2009 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 2/11/09 08:46 AM, TacoFreak wrote: What's your GPU fan speed?

I keep mine at 40%, it's silent then. I only hear the pleasant humming of my AC64pro.

I keep it floored at 100% at all times. I took a look at the fan, and it seems to be clogged with dust. Explains a lot, considering my card used to be able to bench at 750 Core.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 11th, 2009 @ 05:43 PM Reply

So I was playing Burnout Paradise and I
JIZZ
IN
MY PANTS.

Computer Construction Crew

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 11th, 2009 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 2/11/09 05:43 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: So I was playing Burnout Paradise and I
JIZZ
IN
MY PANTS.

lol advertising

I'm getting a problem where all my games are choppy, online and offline. I'm having high FPS and it doesn't feel like when you get low FPS. I tried turning on vsync, loosening my RAM timings (cause I tightened them recently). I had this problem before but it went away in a day. Although now it's not going away and it's pissing me off as fuck.

Halp?

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 11th, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 2/11/09 05:43 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: So I was playing Burnout Paradise and I
JIZZ
IN
MY PANTS.

Weird, I actually just pirat.. bought that game and I was playing and noticed it. But like, how else are they going to make some extra cash. I can run that game on full everything 1920x1200 btw. And it's funny, it's as if they're saying you need to have all that fancy gear to play the game when my hunk of junk plays it perfectly.

BBS Signature
wildface098
wildface098
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 2/5/09 08:49 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
*fixes throat*, what?

I mod my PC and it's all custom. harddrive and evrything.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 12:24 AM Reply

At 2/12/09 12:20 AM, wildface098 wrote: I mod my PC and it's all custom. harddrive and evrything.

"my hardrive gets better every day." you made it sound as though it's a living organism that you are giving special care to so it would heal. I don't see any connection between your last post and responding to what you meant by your 2nd last post. And obviously if you're going to 'mod' your computer, everything is going to be custom bought (saying custom made would sound as though you actually took apart several hard drives and made a new one, which is impossible without a clean room/completely pointless).

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 05:06 AM Reply

At 2/12/09 12:20 AM, wildface098 wrote:
At 2/5/09 08:49 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
*fixes throat*, what?
I mod my PC and it's all custom. harddrive and evrything.

Name the key components of a computer. GO!

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 06:11 AM Reply

I reinstalled NVIDIA drivers and turned off AMD cool and quiet cause it was on since I reset my BIOS and still my games are choppy.

This sux.

killwerty
killwerty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Hi guys,

Basically i have an old computer here that just stopped working. Sometimes when u try to boot it works fine, i can run games, whateve with no problem. But most of the time it wont even get to BIOS, the floppy drive makes wierd grinding noises and there is nothing on the screen.

Ive tried booting with the floppy drive taken out, with both optical drives out, but the same thing keeps happening. Got any ideas? A friend told me that it's probably the mobo so what do u think of this one if i need to get a new one? (the processor is a pentium 4 and needed replacing anyway).

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 01:11 PM, killwerty wrote: Hi guys,

Just buy seperate parts. That combo is so shit it doesn't even specify what core that 6000+ is (there's windsor and brisbane).

Get a Gigabyte Motherboard and for processor get a 7750 BE. Or you can get a new tri-core from AMD that is also Black Edition.