New Topic Respond to this Topic
Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 17th, 2009 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 1/17/09 04:59 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Fleshlight, you need to be a little more specific in your budget, and what you want from a computer before anyone can help you figure out a build.

Well I don't want to spend way too much cash. I'm just thinking it would be better, cost and quality wise, if I build a computer from scratch. All I really need is something that can play counterstrike source on (which practically any computer can play nowadays) and maybe crysis on medium settings. Can I get this for less than $500?

My brother knows a lot more about this stuff than I do so he'll help me out with this, but he never built a computer.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 17th, 2009 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 1/17/09 05:27 PM, crazysalt wrote: i definitely like your idea of getting Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 for my processor but what motherboard should i get, and i will try to be specific

You just need a basic motherboard if you're going to use it for flash.

Which site do you use for buying parts?

crazysalt
crazysalt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 17th, 2009 @ 06:11 PM Reply

newegg has been a help to me for now but if you know anywhere better to find stuff im open to it, i think i first need to just get a shoping cart together regardless of the price and then go deal hunting. btw do you have an msn or aim account it might be eaisier to converse ideas that way? actually on second hand ill pm my account to you.... if you have 1 pm it to me...

but here is 1 other thing to factor in i have a 19 in lcd monitor and have noticed a slowing down of the screens resolution i guess ever since i hoked it up.... so idk what to do there...

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 17th, 2009 @ 06:34 PM Reply

This mobo will work fine for all your needs. Price is seldom the best indicator of quality. A few useless frills to drive up the price, and all of a sudden you're paying 300 dollars for something you'll never need. Kind of like the 790i. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's your damn mobo.

Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 02:09 AM Reply

My rig.

Intel 2 Duo CPU E7200 OC @ 3.35GHz
2GB ram
GeForce GTX 260
Forgot what mobo
Xp

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 06:09 AM Reply

I can't believe I haven't heard of this place. I shall join!

At 10/15/08 10:00 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: -Flaunt what you have

I built the following rig around 4~5 years ago and btw that was when I didn't know anything in particular about computer hardware, just a little but now I know everything right down to how the core the i7 architecture is designed and constructed. But yes.
CPU - LGA775 Socket Pentium - D 930 [OC~CPU-3906.7Ghz/FSB-1041.8Mhz] [Stock Cooling]
GPU - NVidaGeForce 9800GTX+ [OC~GPU-815Mhz/DDR3-1236Mhz/SHAD-2022Mhz /FAN-%50]
RAM - 4x1GB DDR2 667Mhz Kingston
HHD - 500GB - WesternDigital WD5000 7200RPM/250GB - WesterDigital WD2500 7200RPM
PSU - 700Watt RocketFish %80 Efficiency
MOBO - ASUS P5LD2 [1-PCI16x/1-CPU Socket/Max FSB-1066Mhz/Max RAM Support-3.2Ghz
OS - Microsoft Vista - Ultimate 64x Build6000
MONITOR - Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW 24" 1920x1200Res.

-Share Overclocking Techniques with the populous

I basically just increase the mhz in small increments and bump-up voltage after a certain amount of them. And stress test it after wards. I should get an aftermarket fan as my processor if I want to push it over 4Ghz, but I don't want to upgrade my PC anymore, upgraded everything in it~Added 2GB RAM & 500GB HDD and Changed the PSU & GPU. I plan on building a serious rig at the end of this year or early next year, and only.. maybe savage the GPU and PSU from this current one.

-Discuss upcoming tech and parts

I came up with this build about a month ago.

RIG BUILD - 4441 [COST EFFECTIVE]
CPU - Intel Core i7 - 920 QuadCore + HT PRocessor [2.66GHz, 4x256kB, 4.8GT/s QPI, LGA 1336 Socket B] -$0294.99
GPU - Duo-SLI - 2x GeForce 9800 GX2 [GPU-600Mhz/GDDR3-2000Mhz/SHAD-1500Mhz] -$0,808.99
RAM - Kingston HyperX 2GB (6 x 1GB) [DDR3, SDRAM DDR3, 2000MHz, Dual Channel, 9-9-9-27] -$0,452.97
HHD - RAID-Array0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST [7200RPM/1TB/32MB Cache] -$0,137.49
MOBO - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel [MSlots x6, TripleChan, PCI2.0 x3, SATA3GB/s x6] -$0,336.99
CASE - iStarUSA Nitro Ax S-10000B Black Aluminum - ATX Full Tower -$0,137.49
PSU - XCLIO GREATPOWER [1200W, ATX12V / EPS12V, SLI Ready, Modular Active PFC] -$0,336.99
----------
TOTAL - $2495.91

I may NVidia 285 or 295 if they drop in price by the time I actually put this thing together. Same with the CPU, I'm very sure Intel will release a 32nm form of this i7 this year with added L2/L3 Cache.

Here's a screen shot of my
- RIG - Terrible picture but I don't really have any.
- Desktop - [CPU-Z/GPU-Z Provided Info] I got no icons/Hidden-Taskbar, I'm very clean.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 06:32 AM Reply

Last post.

Fuck, broken links.
RIG.
DESKTOP.

And that talk about AMDs earlier. Looking a the statistics, referring back to past experience, discussions with AMD/ Intel users and reading a lot of information on the most recent processors from both companies; I have to say is that getting an AMD is like stabbing yourself in the foot. They only have begun entering 45nm right now when Intel has had it for well over 2 years. They're extremely difficult to over clock because of their inefficient disperse of heat.

Their Phenom II is barely capable of keeping up with Intel's Duos and are highly more unstable also due to the heat. It's true that Intel ripped their integrated memory controller idea but I would still go with a Intel. Hyper threading with 4 cores is great, maybe just a little above par with the past Quads but for actually work, they're a huge performance booster.

Just for fun, I came up with a build that would be ridiculously expensive and high performing if built. It's in a notepad. Build Idea.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 07:30 AM Reply

Nice build. If I ever SLI, it'll probably be the last thing I do to my computer before my '10 re-build. My only question though is why you seem so attracted to the 9800gx2. Not only did they stop making them, driver support is gone too. Plus a single 280 can keep pace with it.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 12:42 PM Reply

At 1/18/09 06:32 AM, PolishMatt wrote:
And that talk about AMDs earlier. Looking a the statistics, referring back to past experience, discussions with AMD/ Intel users and reading a lot of information on the most recent processors from both companies; I have to say is that getting an AMD is like stabbing yourself in the foot. They only have begun entering 45nm right now when Intel has had it for well over 2 years. They're extremely difficult to over clock because of their inefficient disperse of heat.

AMD isn't that bad. I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a 3.1 GHz dual core and I overclocked it to 3.3 GHz. Sure it's not an intel quad but it does the job great. Not to mention that they are cheaper.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 03:57 PM Reply

At 1/18/09 07:30 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: My only question though is why you seem so attracted to the 9800gx2.

I'm not attracted to it, just the stats seem great on it for the price but I guess you are right that it does go on par with the 280.

At 1/18/09 12:42 PM, TacoFreak wrote: AMD isn't that bad. I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a 3.1 GHz dual core and I overclocked it to 3.3 GHz. Sure it's not an intel quad but it does the job great. Not to mention that they are cheaper.

Indeed, they can do a fine job for majority of work with not too much difficulty but I just like getting the best buck to performance ratio available. They're cheaper because they can't compete on par with Intel, that's my belief, whatever.

Previous talk about Windows 7.

I was excited about it when I first heard about it then I installed the latest Beta of it and I was a bit disappointed. I felt as thought they dumb-down the whole thing so that anyone not matter their experience with computers, could use it and find everything with super ease. But now I feel excited for its release once again. It's like a mixture of the best things from both XP and Vista to form something that should have very little room for error.

It has greatly improved in start up times as some people are reporting times as low as 14 seconds from time of pressing the on-button and having a fully functional desktop. Some key features in W7 are already capable of being done in Vista as like disabling the UAC which many find annoyance in and I have already installed 3rd party software to transform the task bar to only display the currently opened programs as icons rather then the icon and name, it makes for some great saved room on the taskbar.

I have never had any stability issues with Vista nor any issues with drivers, Vista found from it's own registry a driver for my 10 YEAR OLD printer on its own and it works just great. I only got the BSOD twice and it was completely hardware related (Overclocking - Increased Temperature). But as I was saying, if they continue chopping at W7 like they are now, it should make for a great OS when it's released in its final form. People should try it before making any judgements on it.

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 04:19 PM Reply

I honestly agree. I've only had 2 BSoDs on vista. The first was from trying to use nTune. (lol) The other instance was when I was pushing forward of 4Ghz. It's much more visually appealing, and although it sometimes hogs 2 gigs of memory, I've got plenty more to spare for my games.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 18th, 2009 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 1/18/09 04:19 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: and although it sometimes hogs 2 gigs of memory, I've got plenty more to spare for my games.

With 4GB of installed RAM, my Vista use to take up 1.05GB of it for just running with nothing opened but since I killed about 75% of the services that I don't need/use, it now uses 705MB which is quite a nice improvement and it's running just as nicely as before so you might want to google "Vista Services" to get a site explaining each one and decide on each one if you need it not and keep experimenting till it runs well.

There is about 170 services that are running at almost any given time in Vista. And apparently W7 will run on 500MB from a clean install, maybe less or more but we will see when the final version is released. Oh! And disabling a couple of the visual effects help a bit too if your GPU isn't strong. To disable Visual-Effects, go to: Right-Click Computer>Advance System Settings>Advance Tab>Performance Settings>Visual Effects. For Services: Windows Key + R > Type in Run Dialog "Services.msc". I hope it helps.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2009 @ 04:12 PM Reply

Leaving this here - How to optimize Vista for SSDs

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2009 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 1/19/09 04:12 PM, Rig wrote: Leaving this here - How to optimize Vista for SSDs

There's some awesome tips in that link, and I'm definitely going to have a good look at it if I ever get an SSD. But sadly I doubt anyone here really has 700$ right now to shell out at a mid-range 250GB SSD. For 700, I would buy 7 x 1TB HDDs, make an crazy Raid Array 0 and realize soon after wards I can't fit them inside my computer : (

BBS Signature
ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2009 @ 07:25 PM Reply

SSDs aren't going to become mainstream until at least 2010, but besides durability, I don't see the need for them. My Raid 0 of two regular hard drives has near instant load times as it is. I hear about people raiding raptors, that just seems like complete overkill to me.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2009 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 1/19/09 07:25 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: SSDs aren't going to become mainstream until at least 2010, but besides durability, I don't see the need for them. My Raid 0 of two regular hard drives has near instant load times as it is. I hear about people raiding raptors, that just seems like complete overkill to me.

You must have loaded parents if you're 14 and have such a amazing rig with a RAID system. Raiding Raptors isn't necessarily an overkill, they only spin 2,800RPMs faster and some people TRULY hate waiting for their computers to reboot or for large games to load because if you think about, the biggest bottle neck is reading data from HHDs.

When I was at the gym today, I came up with some very clever concept ideas for layout and construction of the CPU, GPU, MB, RAM and HHD. I'll draw it out later tonight possibly, and the ideas are deriving from the biological organisms.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 19th, 2009 @ 11:21 PM Reply

Windows 7 and Vista look ugly as fuck. Is there a way on them to have the XP skin?

PS: I'm savin' up so in a year I'll have a LEET RIG

Care to explain how much the raid 0's cost anyways?

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2009 @ 05:45 AM Reply

At 1/19/09 09:20 PM, PolishMatt wrote: You must have loaded parents if you're 14 and have such a amazing rig with a RAID system.

Far from it my good sir. It's just that my computer is literally the only thing I own. Not even a TV besides this thing.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2009 @ 12:44 PM Reply

At 1/19/09 11:21 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Windows 7 and Vista look ugly as fuck. Is there a way on them to have the XP skin?

You might want to consider using Google, as it will always know more then a single group of people. And I believe it would be possible to find on DeviantArt, some people on there make great skins.

PS: I'm savin' up so in a year I'll have a LEET RIG

How much you plan on spending?

Care to explain how much the raid 0's cost anyways?

If you don't know what's a RAID, you might want to consider reading up on all the rest of the computer components and possibilities available with some specific hardware.

I'm not going to bother explaining as there are people who have done a good job at it. Read all about it here. For even more detailed information, go here.

At 1/20/09 05:45 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Far from it my good sir. It's just that my computer is literally the only thing I own. Not even a TV besides this thing.

I only own my computer and a guitar. Rest of the money goes to school and sometimes I'll bulk enough spare cash to buy a guitar.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2009 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 1/19/09 09:20 PM, PolishMatt wrote: When I was at the gym today, I came up with some very clever concept ideas for layout and construction of the CPU, GPU, MB, RAM and HHD. I'll draw it out later tonight possibly, and the ideas are deriving from the biological organisms.

Don't keep me waiting, this sounds interesting.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2009 @ 08:52 PM Reply

At 1/20/09 12:44 PM, PolishMatt wrote:

How much you plan on spending?

I'm not sure yet. I've just started to save up and I've got about 400-450 USD. I'm gonna be getting some leet headset soon so I might have less money.

I am planning to upgrade in around 2010; basically when my computer will be too shit to run the latest games on good settings.

I'll get the latest and high end parts though. Or at least I want to. Maybe an Intel CPU.

If you don't know what's a RAID, you might want to consider reading up on all the rest of the computer components and possibilities available with some specific hardware.

I'm not going to bother explaining as there are people who have done a good job at it. Read all about it here. For even more detailed information, go here.

I can't be assed reading all of it but I ain't gonna do that now. Not gonna buy an adaptor card and too much to do. Whatever.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2009 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 1/20/09 07:11 PM, Rig wrote: Don't keep me waiting, this sounds interesting.

Exams start tomorrow O: but I'll try.

At 1/20/09 08:52 PM, TacoFreak wrote: I can't be assed reading all of it but I ain't gonna do that now. Not gonna buy an adaptor card and too much to do. Whatever.

Majority of mid and high range motherboards are already capable of doing a RAID system. In fact, I checked the manual to my motherboard today (The Mobo is mid range at the most) and it said it can do RAID model 0, 1, 6, and 10. Should take 10 minutes to set up.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 20th, 2009 @ 09:37 PM Reply

You're saying that I can set up RAID 0 on my computer without paying anything? :O

I SMELL WINRAR

This is what it says on the page with the info about my mobo:

SATA 3Gb/s & RAID
This platform supports reliable storage solution for enhanced data protection and data accessing performance. Serial ATA 3Gb/s is firstly introduced in this platform to provide blazingly 3Gb/s bus bandwidth thus higher disk performance. The SATA RAID allows multi-disk designs to be set up as RAID 0, 1, 0+1 based on users' priority of protection/ performance, and which even makes more accessible by introducing the innovative windows-based facility.

If that means I can do RAID 0, what do I have to do to set it up? On that article it mentioned installing a card of some sort, but I don't have to do that (I think).

Thanks for help, bro.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 02:27 AM Reply

At 1/20/09 09:37 PM, TacoFreak wrote: If that means I can do RAID 0, what do I have to do to set it up? On that article it mentioned installing a card of some sort, but I don't have to do that (I think).

This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but this is basically you will most likely have to do.

- Obtain two identical drives (Same size, same brand, same model).

- Connect them both through their SATA cables to the Mobo.

- Find the driver from the CD that came with your Mobo or from the manufacturer's site, for setting up the RAID.

- Place the driver on a floppy. Restart, Press F2 (For my board) and you will be prompted to the screen.

- From there you select what drives you're going set up your array with and what model of the RAID.

- Let it do it's thang and behold the awesomeness of having a drive that is the approximate speed of 14,400RPMs.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 09:12 AM Reply

At 1/21/09 02:27 AM, PolishMatt wrote:
- Obtain two identical drives (Same size, same brand, same model).

Oh...

Well I'll just stick with my HDD's and when I get a new computer I'll set up RAID 0.

Thanks for your help brah.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 11:55 AM Reply

This might not be the best place for this, but I'm sure I'll get more help here than in the General section.

I'm looking for a headset mainly for gaming but also to listening to music and other shit. I want a headset that is comfortable, and doesn't have shit quality sound.

I was thinking about the SteelSeries 5H, but I noticed I can get the Sennheisers HD555 for only 10 dollars more. It looks uglier, and doesn't have a mic, but I heard it has really good sound quality. I would have to buy a seperate clip on mic then, and I don't really want to do that.

Opinions and any good headsets that I can get? Price range around 100 dollars.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 12:45 PM Reply

You could always get a decent desk mic. Just because it isn't two inches away from your mouth doesn't mean your team mates won't hear you.

Also, I'm beggining to consider RMAing my 280. The thing is, people have been able to get far past 700 core clock on theirs, even up to 756 on stock cooling, whereas mine can barely go past the default 648. It sometimes even stutters on crysis even on stock settings. The problem seems to be heat, but my case is well ventilated, and I can't make my room any colder without opening the window to sub-freezing temperatures. WHAT DO?

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 01:23 PM Reply

At 1/21/09 11:55 AM, TacoFreak wrote: Opinions and any good headsets that I can get? Price range around 100 dollars.

I have two sets (One for outside, one for inside use) of these 20$ Sony headphones and they're phenomenal, I use them for everything from gaming, recording my guitar, going to the gym, being at school, bus rides, they do a great job in every enviornmentl. Headsets reaching the 100$ are already of the studio quality which is unnecessary and it will actually be worse because you will most likely be listening to MP3s and they are typically of 128bit ~ 320 bit quality and with expensive headphones, you will be able to hear all the compression in them. It's sort of like stretching a small JPG. file (MP3 file) on a large screen (Responsive headphones). So unless you're going to listen to 44100Hz or 48000Hz audio, you should just stick around the 40$ at the most.

BBS Signature
TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 03:27 PM Reply

Thanks for reply.

You know any good brands then? I was thinking about the SteelSeries Siberia, but I heard it gets damaged easily... The mic is clip on too and I'd prefer an attacked one.

How about this http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/p roduct.asp?category=437&subcategory=442&
product=16337&nav=0&listby=

Or this http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/p roduct.asp?category=437&subcategory=865&
product=17806&nav=1&listby=

Which one is better? Both are pretty cheap. Although for the one with the usb it says: Minimum System Requirements

* Microsoft® Windows Vista%u2122 32-bit/64-bit, Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

I have 32 bit XP so not sure if it will work...

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew Jan. 21st, 2009 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 1/21/09 03:27 PM, TacoFreak wrote: I have 32 bit XP so not sure if it will work...

You're joking.. right?

BBS Signature