LiquidEvolution
LiquidEvolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-24 12:55:22 Reply

At 6/24/08 12:41 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote:
At 6/24/08 12:12 AM, LiquidEvolution wrote: I'm sticking with my 'boxing glove comes out of your monitor and hits you when you zero bomb' idea.
Oh! And thats a great idea.....bah...

I quit life if you took that seriously.

yea

winKoneR
winKoneR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-24 20:51:47 Reply

At 6/24/08 12:51 PM, Chronamut wrote: lol.. the greatest of minds cant figure out how to keep idiots at bay.. there is an irony there for sure.

I'm nominating this for a post of a week, anybody else is with me ?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-24 22:59:44 Reply

At 6/24/08 08:51 PM, winKoneR wrote:
At 6/24/08 12:51 PM, Chronamut wrote: lol.. the greatest of minds cant figure out how to keep idiots at bay.. there is an irony there for sure.
I'm nominating this for a post of a week, anybody else is with me ?

on a scale of epicness its up there allright..

TomBanks
TomBanks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-24 23:09:06 Reply

Ah, but infinity beats idiocy:

The sum of n votes as n approaches infinity, divided by n = Idiot proof score, since the effect of each vote on the score as n approaches infinity in 0.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-24 23:10:39 Reply

At 6/24/08 11:09 PM, TomBanks wrote:
Ah, but infinity beats idiocy:

The sum of n votes as n approaches infinity, divided by n = Idiot proof score, since the effect of each vote on the score as n approaches infinity in 0.

yes but infinity does not beat infinite idiocy.

And newgrounds is a prime brewing pot for that.

TomBanks
TomBanks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-24 23:12:12 Reply

Yeah, those zero votes do have some stamina.

Kr1z
Kr1z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 02:34:11 Reply

Dunno if its allready been mentioned,
But how about like the 10% lowest votes get deleted..
Wouldnt the score (in the AP) be much more representative?

LiquidEvolution
LiquidEvolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 02:39:54 Reply

At 6/25/08 02:34 AM, Kr1z wrote: Dunno if its allready been mentioned,

Not a bad idea since most people get their first bomb when their song is going through the newly submitted list and it only get about 10 to 25 votes max. I'm sure this will still filter out the crap aswell since if the song is bad enough, more than 10 people will give it a zero. Other than that, if someone tries to zero a decent song, this should put an end to it.

yea

Lance
Lance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 07:42:58 Reply

At 6/25/08 02:34 AM, Kr1z wrote: Dunno if its allready been mentioned,

People's scores in the AP are already inflated compared to the flash movies. You need a 4.50 to get on to the front. And that wouldn't solve the "fair voting" process, really. It just means that you will need a higher score to get noticed. Besides, you already got a fanbase to mass 5 your tracks (that commonly reach the top 5), why are you the one complaining? ;)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 08:49:53 Reply

guys - you're either gonna have everyone with high scores- or everyone with low scores.

BBQSandwich
BBQSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 08:52:25 Reply

The AP is the AP

Me trying to be smart

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 08:56:28 Reply

At 6/25/08 08:52 AM, BBQSandwich wrote: The AP is the AP

Me trying to be smart

You're getting there.

At least you've got the very first basics of logic down.

Keep working on it.

BBQSandwich
BBQSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 08:57:38 Reply

At 6/25/08 08:56 AM, SBB wrote:

Me trying to be smart
You're getting there.

At least you've got the very first basics of logic down.

Keep working on it.

I've learned something new:
The FP is the FP

LiquidEvolution
LiquidEvolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 09:08:08 Reply

At 6/25/08 08:57 AM, BBQSandwich wrote: I've learned something new:
The FP is the FP

You're going to make a wonderful addition to these forums.

yea

reaper-of-ratings
reaper-of-ratings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 13:01:38 Reply

u forgot one

Chronamut is god of the audio forums

loogiesquared
loogiesquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 13:04:15 Reply

Me trying to be smart

hey, HEY, HEY!!!! >:(

i'm the only r4andom poster on this forum.

chickn sammich.
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 13:08:24 Reply

boo you your lack of randomness.

loogiesquared
loogiesquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 13:09:38 Reply

i've lost inspiration.
BQQSammich, ur my protoger.

BBQSandwich
BBQSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 14:17:25 Reply

here's one for loogiesquared

My name is BBQSandwich, not BBQSammich xD

PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 16:17:05 Reply

At 6/23/08 01:02 PM, HouseMasta wrote:
At 6/23/08 07:00 AM, PaulStetich wrote: I must say though this whole controversy is really helping . . . I personally have been getting some more attention in my music, and I notice some of my peeps have been too. But still, tis annoying when you had a 4.39 score and some guy votes 0 on you every day til it reaches a 3.91.
stop bitching and get people to 5 you. sheesh, youve been doing nothing but complain in this thread and a lot of us are sick of hearing every detail. review to other people - ask for reviews, world will keep on spinnin'

Hey shitbrains, I thought we settled our differences. I'm not complaining, I'm simply handing out suggestions on how to solve this for good. But you, being the pessimist you are, always have to shoot down my ideas. What if people like them? What if people want to go through with them? But oh no, here comes the legendary HouseMasta, we must do as he says.

Well know what? I'm gonna keep suggesting things whether you like them or not, I'm sure I'll come up with one eventually that everybody but you will agree with.

Or know what, Ill do you better. Why dont you come up with something to get rid of this 0-terrorist. What is your idea? And if it has something to do with me, you fail cause that would be just plain immature.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 16:26:37 Reply

i think i heard liljima saying "please stop suggesting the same solutions over and over" on the first page in here. how come everyone keeps suggesting the same things anyway? this thread aint even for suggestions. sure, if you have something UNIQUE to come with thats one thing, but i dont think ive seen anything realistic so far... and for those who try to go off topic or start flaming each other, i'll happily ban you to get some peace and quite in here.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

HouseMasta
HouseMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 17:55:58 Reply

At 6/25/08 04:17 PM, PaulStetich wrote: blah blah blah
Hey shitbrains, I thought we settled our differences.

we have - im just sick of hearing you bitch about 0 bombers. dude, we ALL go through it. its the way it is.

I'm not complaining, I'm simply handing out suggestions on how to solve this for good.

it seems like every other post you have to go about bringing up this "0 terrorist".

But you, being the pessimist you are, always have to shoot down my ideas.

im not trying to shoot down your ideas, id love for you to come up with a new way to go about things with 0bombers, but your last ideas have been all discussed before. nothing new :(

What if people like them? What if people want to go through with them? But oh no, here comes the legendary HouseMasta, we must do as he says. Well know what? I'm gonna keep suggesting things whether you like them or not, I'm sure I'll come up with one eventually that everybody but you will agree with.

cant wait!

Or know what, Ill do you better. Why dont you come up with something to get rid of this 0-terrorist. What is your idea? And if it has something to do with me, you fail cause that would be just plain immature.

i dont know what you did to piss him off, so i cant really help you with this 0bomber (terrorist just sounds lame) so i wish you the best another NGer can give! good luck!

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature
PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-25 18:25:15 Reply

OK then, fair enough.

But still if you have better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Kr1z
Kr1z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 05:01:22 Reply

:At 6/25/08 02:34 AM, Kr1z wrote: Dunno if its allready been mentioned,
:But how about like the 10% lowest votes get deleted..
:Wouldnt the score (in the AP) be much more representative?

and;
I dont think everyone will get higher scores..
ppl who get like all 3's and 4's will still have a low score.
Ppl who get all 4's and 5's and a hating 0, will keep there good score
Aint that fun ??

And aint this suggestion newer than the others?
Consider it :(

Suspended-3rd-Chord
Suspended-3rd-Chord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 05:15:02 Reply

At 6/25/08 04:26 PM, Rucklo wrote: i think i heard liljima saying "please stop suggesting the same solutions over and over" on the first page in here. how come everyone keeps suggesting the same things anyway? this thread aint even for suggestions. sure, if you have something UNIQUE to come with thats one thing, but i dont think ive seen anything realistic so far... and for those who try to go off topic or start flaming each other, i'll happily ban you to get some peace and quite in here.

The only suggestion that was new in here, and was given no reason as to why it wouldn't work, was the option that would disable voting until the track finishes. That is an entirely fair suggestion where i don't see any flaws. Liljim ignored me when I brought up that idea (which is originally Lashmush's)

Whoever says "I don't want to be forced through an entire track to have to vote on it" well you can GTFO out with that bullshit. How would feel if a teacher was grading one of your essays, didn't like the introduction and therefore decided not to read the rest, and gave you an F? If that's still a problem and the song opens up with intentional shit, than atleast disable voting for like 30 seconds, which is done on slicethepie.com.

The only potential problem I can see with this is someone lowering the quality on their songs, making it 10+ minutes long, in turn less people listening through the entire track to vote on it. Of course the authour could then five his work, but he/she would need to do it 20 times to reach the top 5

So why could this suggestion NOT be implemented?

HouseMasta
HouseMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 11:46:52 Reply

At 6/26/08 05:15 AM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote: So why could this suggestion NOT be implemented?

see, there IS a problem with that. When you click on any song in NG and are brought up to the songs page, it loads on the bottom (white bar = part its loaded up to.)

So, if someone has DSL or higher (which im sure is pretty much everyone) the song will load in a matter of seconds and then they can just click on the song bar to skip to the end of the song and have the voting bar load up to 0 it

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature
TomBanks
TomBanks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 11:52:10 Reply

And really, some stuff does blow so bad that it is painful to sit through it; I don't ever vote zero on anything that even faintly resembles any sort of music, but you know what I'm talking about.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 13:00:10 Reply

At 6/26/08 11:52 AM, TomBanks wrote: And really, some stuff does blow so bad that it is painful to sit through it; I don't ever vote zero on anything that even faintly resembles any sort of music, but you know what I'm talking about.

yes we do.

and yes - like we have said - you cant provide a failproof setting that benefits only you and discourages all idiots from destroying your song - with the existance of alts a foolproof setting is impossible.

IM

POSSIBLE.

Suspended-3rd-Chord
Suspended-3rd-Chord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 14:08:46 Reply

At 6/26/08 11:46 AM, HouseMasta wrote:
see, there IS a problem with that. When you click on any song in NG and are brought up to the songs page, it loads on the bottom (white bar = part its loaded up to.)

So, if someone has DSL or higher (which im sure is pretty much everyone) the song will load in a matter of seconds and then they can just click on the song bar to skip to the end of the song and have the voting bar load up to 0 it

That's not how it works. There will be a timer set off that is = the length of the song, that disables voting until that timer is done.

At 6/26/08 11:52 AM, TomBanks wrote: And really, some stuff does blow so bad that it is painful to sit through it; I don't ever vote zero on anything that even faintly resembles any sort of music, but you know what I'm talking about.

Sure - I know what you are talking about and I did mention that as being a potential problem in my post. But you'll need 20 votes for a song like that to reach the top 5 anyway.

At 6/26/08 01:00 PM, Chronamut wrote:
and yes - like we have said - you cant provide a failproof setting that benefits only you and discourages all idiots from destroying your song - with the existance of alts a foolproof setting is impossible.

IM

POSSIBLE.

You are not allowed to use an alt to vote on a song as long as it's emanating from the same IP address.

And comeon on Chronamut, just admit that you would be mad that you and your brother wouldn't be able to mass zero bomb anymore :P

It seems that any suggestion that's put in here is turned down by "ahh too much work" or only slight drawbacks that could be worked around with more effort. Well with that type of attitude, this situation will never get better :/

PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-26 14:20:56 Reply

At 6/26/08 02:08 PM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote:
It seems that any suggestion that's put in here is turned down by "ahh too much work" or only slight drawbacks that could be worked around with more effort. Well with that type of attitude, this situation will never get better :/

Lack of motivation, I guess that's true. but i do suppose that it's impossible for newgrounds to IP ban people from newgrounds.

But I still agree that even though a situation SEEMS too tough to try, we still give it a shot. I mean, have you even TRIED the suggestions before?