At 6/11/08 11:27 AM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 6/11/08 09:59 AM, endlessnumber wrote:
Amend my solution with the execution of all idiots on Newgrounds as well.Now that might work but I'm afraid I'd be too close to the front of the line.
In other words there would be barely anyone left in the audio portal :P
A few useless words for new(ish) users that are wondering why a score dropped from a 4.whatever to below a 2:
Fact: Everyone that gets any votes at all, gets zero-voted on.
Just think of it as an Audio Portal right of passage. If you haven't been zero-bombed then you can't call yourself a part of this dysfunctional little community.
ya - damn fivers - nothing stands out like a sore thumb more than a big shiny new five - its like a sitting duck - a fish in a barrel, a tied up teen in a bathroom stal-wait wut..
As long as there's a steady supply of new users, there will be mistakes made in all areas - and as long as there are users at all, there will be a few assholes that think it's funny to do little things that make others upset.
lulz :P - I think we are all guilty of doing things that makes SOMEONE or other upset..
Another thing that happens, I believe, more often than not is that people aren't necessarily voting 0 - they may be voting 1 or 2 but anytime anyone's score drops more than .02 points they cry "ZERO-VOTER!!"
even 3s and 4s will lower your score.
Another possibility for steadily dropping scores is that your "music" might suck a lot more than you are capable of accepting at this point in your "career". There's definitely one user who shall not be named that recently made a "Deys all came an Z3r0 B0mbed mah lifes Wurk" topic who sucks... I read his topic, checked his page and honestly, his scores were right about where I think they should be - somewhere in the 2's... Low? Yes, but what do you expect when you post generic uninspired 20 second loops that sound like they were mastered on wax?
as my brother mentioned - almost everyone in his news post that was bashing him had music that sucked. Seems the only people that really get offended is those that truly arent that good. And mastered on wax - you sir, are a genius at comedy - I love you <3
They vote 5 on their own crap, and then they wonder why their scores are going down faster than a BrownsVille tween at a Stryper concert.
now thats MY kinda humour :P
do ze hustle!
I love how everyone always claims "the voting system is flawed!"
the voting system is not flawed - PEOPLE are flawed. If you change the voting system in any way it is just going to make it a huge hassle for regular people and just as easy for those that abuse it - there will always be loopholes. You can not build a better system without taking away some fundamental area of people's free will and freedom of expression and thought.
so here is my short summary of how I would like to see things go down.
1) if you do not have an account on newgrounds - you should NOT be allowed to vote. It doesnt take long to make an account, but this is rather negligable.
2) give the audio musicians exp. points when they vote on audio. Personally I think a blam/protect system would not be wise here because, unlike the flash portal, the audio portal is full of people that will gang up on a user to bring them down. I would forecast a lot of quality songs getting hurt in the process, especially if a mod also has a grudge..
3) revert it to one review a song - thats it - and if not that - maybe one review on said song a week, or month - to deter mass voting, both 5s and zeros. - actually, no, scrap that idea - it would just involve mass voting on a specific day instead of every day - and noone likes that either - so ya - revert it back to the old system - the amt of rates on songs it getting so massive that its becoming hard for songs to survive nemore - at least in the old days everything had a rather low voting score and thus could go up and down easier.
4) give the audio portal AWARDS. Review crew pick of the week, daily 1st, weekly first, monthly first - turd of the week - all the awards the flash portal basically has. The concept of some 13 year old using your song in his sonic flash isn't good incentive to cater to the flash portal nemore. While yes the comtests and putting songs in actually released games is great incentive, those opportunities are far and few between. The audio portal needs a carrot dangling in front of its face - it needs something to strive for on a regular basis. Currently all it has is the top 30 - and that leads to mass hysteria every tuesday night, as well as the weekly five - which leads to mass hysteria from new submission users on tuesday night..
5) a PROPER audio portal batting average - I know audio portal musicians seem to have some sort of fixed batting average, or so im told..
6) the SAME option the flash portal has for collaborations - an area where you can enter a users' name and they will pop up on your song page under your name. People have been complaining about this for YEARS now.
7) re-instate some sort of stolen submission button! Do you have any idea how much of a hassle it is to try and remember every stolen submission on newgrounds - and then either post it in a thread, or make a news post about it - when all of this could be done in the background, like the old days, with a moderator or admin to be responsible for deleting these songs? I know you've said those powers for mods are coming soon, but really, I think they really need them NOW.
8) If a user is proven to have ALL their songs stolen, or actually REQUESTS to have their account deleted - delete their account! I know some people on this site who have been signed to record labels have tried to get their accounts removed after, because they can no longer delete their songs for some reason or other, and since denied, they can't make money off their own music. That or at least find some way around the "uh oh that song has been used in a flash, or has gone over the stat limit and can no longer be deleted"
9) in reference to the above, I want to be able to edit or delete every single one of my songs if I so choose to - If i make a mistake uploading an icon - I want to be able to change that as well! Half of my songs I can't do anything for - because theyre so OLD that they are no longer editable.
10) the oh-so popular have the "new review" buttons reflect accurately the amount of UNRESPONDED reviews the song has - regardless of the day - and then NOT display it has those new reviews once you respond to them - I do believe this is a hassle for many people with more than say.. 10 songs, who dont check their reviews every single bloody day..
11) have some sort of audio hall of fame - too many users on this site fade away in obscurity after years of contribution. Its like saying "thanks for all the songs you submitted, but in order for anyone to care, you have to submit songs for the rest of your life" - I mean, the flash portal has links that relate to series, and users, and flash genre types, so that theyre never forgotten - so why can't the audio portal have something similar?
12) The audio forum needs another FORUM mod. And I know I am going to regret requesting this as it will most likely mean another regular stamping his new mod foot on my face, but when rucklo is gone - there is NOONE HERE to police this place. There is no dedicated mod like denvish was when he controlled this place - rucklo does what he can - but rucklo is not HERE all the time.
13) dedicated audio mods for EACH GENRE. I am sure there are mods that are ambiant submitters that listen to lets say, dnb and think "i hate dnb its shit, this is dnb - it sounds like shit - im gonna ban him" - or something similar along those lines. I dont believe that having generic audio mods to polics every single genre of newgrounds is a good idea personally.
that and most of them are lazy sobs that never clear the list neways :P
14) have a sticky with the link to suggestions people have for improvements to this site in the sticky.
thats it for now.