Be a Supporter!

Zerovoting and Exposure.

  • 47,022 Views
  • 727 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
endlessnumber
endlessnumber
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 12th, 2008 @ 12:27 PM Reply

I wouldn't mind making a blog with someone that has tutorials on basics of making electronica... similar to the music theory threads that pop up every now and then and disappear, but for real

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 12th, 2008 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 6/11/08 11:14 PM, DragonsGrief wrote:
At 6/11/08 09:23 PM, Chronamut wrote: no instead you bitch for pages at a time about how "unfair" the voting system is when noone is ever going to change it.
I've seen your posts, ALL you do is whine and whine about this shit and persecute anyone that disagrees with you with "I'M A FAGGOT I GET A BETTER OPINION SINCE I'M A REGULAR IN THIS FAGGOT LOUNGE".

Fuck you. I remember when Liljim outed you and you were crying. Good times. When you weren't such a pissy little arrogant slut.

wtf are you talking about?

I've neber whined about the unfairness of the audio portal. Or about zero bombers.

and what are you talkjing about with liljim? That wasnt me, that was Allen Stylez, and you don't see me calling you names, even if you are an attention whore that has complained to every mod on this site, and is thus hated by half of newgrounds.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 02:49 AM Reply

At 6/12/08 12:19 AM, Gloudas wrote: yo reaper, I support you in you're reviews. I'm glad to hear you're reviewing now, because this way people know your thoughts and know you didn't like their song.

I've found that when people are zero bombed they tend to think "WHAT AN ASSHOLE, HE ZERO'ED MY AWESOME SONG CAUSE HE'S A BIG PENIS!" If you review though, these people might be forced to realize that they're being bombed because the stuff is bad, not because the zero bomber just likes being an asshole. By reviewing you might open these idiots' eyes a bit. Most likely not though :P

Anyway, keep it up

Yeah dude I totally agree with you there. At least you have guts to leave a review of WHY you 0-d it.

However, I'm facing a tough situation, where I'm not just being 0-bombed I'm being 0-bombed constantly by the same guy cause he's been harassing me about some grudge he has with me.

I wish I could get rid of this guy. Any thoughts?

Lance
Lance
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 03:10 AM Reply

At 6/14/08 02:49 AM, PaulStetich wrote:
I wish I could get rid of this guy. Any thoughts?

Hmm....maybe, take a break from remixing? In order to get more respect, I believe composers should make their own work as well. After all, what you're remixing is not completely your own. Especially if it's midi ripped, or doesn't contain any drastic changes.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 6/14/08 03:10 AM, Lance wrote:
At 6/14/08 02:49 AM, PaulStetich wrote:
I wish I could get rid of this guy. Any thoughts?
Hmm....maybe, take a break from remixing? In order to get more respect, I believe composers should make their own work as well. After all, what you're remixing is not completely your own. Especially if it's midi ripped, or doesn't contain any drastic changes.

agreed. I pop out an original every now and then. They usually get less publicity than remixes though.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:17 PM Reply

U could be right about that . . . dont rly see how itll get this 0-terrorist to forget about me but, it might help elsewhere. THnx

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 04:25 PM Reply

they might forget quicker if you stop drawing attention to yourself ;)


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
HouseMasta
HouseMasta
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 04:17 PM, PaulStetich wrote: U could be right about that . . . dont rly see how itll get this 0-terrorist to forget about me but, it might help elsewhere. THnx

0-terrorist? you mean every single person in the AP at one point or another?


»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature
endlessnumber
endlessnumber
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 06:01 PM Reply

Hey I've got an idea.

Make music that's SOOOO GOOD, because of course you think you're SOOO talented, that SOOO many of us will vote 5 on it that that guy's daily 0 won't matter at all.

KgZ
KgZ
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 09:48 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/14/08 03:10 AM, Lance wrote:
At 6/14/08 02:49 AM, PaulStetich wrote:
I wish I could get rid of this guy. Any thoughts?
Hmm....maybe, take a break from remixing? In order to get more respect, I believe composers should make their own work as well. After all, what you're remixing is not completely your own. Especially if it's midi ripped, or doesn't contain any drastic changes.
agreed. I pop out an original every now and then. They usually get less publicity than remixes though.

Just thought I'd point out- Artists known for their remixes have no respect compared to artists for their original work.


www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

HouseMasta
HouseMasta
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 06:01 PM, endlessnumber wrote: Hey I've got an idea.

Make music that's SOOOO GOOD, because of course you think you're SOOO talented, that SOOO many of us will vote 5 on it that that guy's daily 0 won't matter at all.

BA-ZING! yea 0 bombers hit us all. it sucks. we deal


»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 06:25 PM, KgZ wrote:
Just thought I'd point out- Artists known for their remixes have no respect compared to artists for their original work.

ya thanks for that totally wrong analogy. You can have just as much respect for making ANYTHING that sounds good.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:15 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 10:01 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/14/08 06:25 PM, KgZ wrote:
Just thought I'd point out- Artists known for their remixes have no respect compared to artists for their original work.
ya thanks for that totally wrong analogy. You can have just as much respect for making ANYTHING that sounds good.

ironically, you're not really "making" anything. You're taking someone elses work and changing it up a little bit and throwing a few things here and there.

I'm using the term "respect" loosely, but I mean that a musician who prominently makes remixes will not be as acclaimed as the musician who writes original content.


www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

HouseMasta
HouseMasta
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 10:15 PM, KgZ wrote: ironically, you're not really "making" anything. You're taking someone elses work and changing it up a little bit and throwing a few things here and there.

I'm using the term "respect" loosely, but I mean that a musician who prominently makes remixes will not be as acclaimed as the musician who writes original content.

see, but the thing is, Chron makes original content. Certain people do JUST remixes, hence why they are held in such lower view, as you mentioned. Balance could be key. Props to people who submit JUST original music to NG. *claps*


»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 10:31 PM Reply

There's never anything wrong with making a remix here and there, but you should only do them for enjoyment.

I would say a 90/10, whereas 90% is original content, and 10% remixes and covers. Remixes DO give you more attention than most original songs, but once you start building a name for yourself, original content is key.


www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

ZooSafari
ZooSafari
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 14th, 2008 @ 11:41 PM Reply

Very interesting topic!

Well I got an Idea, as Suspended 3rd Chord said, those threads "Audio Advertisments" and "Underdog list" are dead, I think what you should do is a kind of club where the most talented, expirienced and mature artists gather to see who are the new talented ppl, listen to their music and then post their names in some kind of thread where everyone will be able to see, but not to post, cause that was exactly the problem in the Underdog and Audio Ads threads, you let every nooby post about their own music and nobody would care on reviewing other dudes (Im pretty nooby myself XD but I think I get what everyone is going through).

So thats my idea, I think someone should really consider it, specially forum moderators since they can ban noobs and delet stupid posts :D

PEACE EVERYONE!

endlessnumber
endlessnumber
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 03:15 AM Reply

At 6/14/08 11:41 PM, ZooSafari wrote:

The issue isn't exposure, it's the issue of how to refine existing talent

Lance
Lance
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 10:15 PM, KgZ wrote:
At 6/14/08 10:01 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/14/08 06:25 PM, KgZ wrote:
Just thought I'd point out- Artists known for their remixes have no respect compared to artists for their original work.
ya thanks for that totally wrong analogy. You can have just as much respect for making ANYTHING that sounds good.
ironically, you're not really "making" anything. You're taking someone elses work and changing it up a little bit and throwing a few things here and there.

I'm using the term "respect" loosely, but I mean that a musician who prominently makes remixes will not be as acclaimed as the musician who writes original content.

Oh, I know. And I find it hypocritical how reaper-of-ratings has a good argument for removing the crap on this site, yet defends Chronamut when his song are small remixes (you can't really remix a VG song into a VG song lol, make it a DnB, Trance, Metalized, etc. just thoughtlessly changing the chord progression around or adding in drums doesn't make it a true remix) and 0-bombs people who are not as good as him. Of course, you're going to get more attention here over people who write original compositions from scratch when you use pieces from popular songs.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 03:15 PM Reply

er was that somehow a personal attack on me Lance? I do vg remixes, as vg, because I enjoy them and I just want them to sound better than they originally do, while putting a different kind of emotional spin on them.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 06:34 PM Reply

Well VG remixes often get away with murder in terms of copyright infringment. Personally I don't think its chronomaut its those guys that make the exact synths that are to blame. Besides VG music is important on Newgrounds and sets it apart from other audio sites. So in other words don't shit on Chron or VG its good that we have it.


Syntrus keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006
The Madness of Kid Triangle

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 6/15/08 06:34 PM, Syntrus wrote: Well VG remixes often get away with murder in terms of copyright infringment. Personally I don't think its chronomaut its those guys that make the exact synths that are to blame. Besides VG music is important on Newgrounds and sets it apart from other audio sites. So in other words don't shit on Chron or VG its good that we have it.

lol the name misspelling continues :P

I just do it cuz I like to do it - thats all - if others do too then great!


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Hey man, as long as you're having fun, go for it.


www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 15th, 2008 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 6/15/08 07:04 PM, KgZ wrote: Hey man, as long as you're having fun, go for it.

indeed. :P


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Lance
Lance
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 04:26 AM Reply

At 6/15/08 03:15 PM, Chronamut wrote: er was that somehow a personal attack on me Lance? I do vg remixes, as vg, because I enjoy them and I just want them to sound better than they originally do, while putting a different kind of emotional spin on them.

Not intended to be a personal attack directed towards you, but to people who make those types of VG remixes in general. (I only brought up you because, you were part of reaper-of-ratings criteria, who was invoked this discussion to begin with)

Sound better than they originally do you say? I know music is subjective and all- but paid professionals make the original mix in the first place. You're not a paid professional, so it's not going to sound "better" than the original 99% of the time.

Anyways, keep doing what you do.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 12:37 PM Reply

At 6/16/08 04:26 AM, Lance wrote:
At 6/15/08 03:15 PM, Chronamut wrote: er was that somehow a personal attack on me Lance? I do vg remixes, as vg, because I enjoy them and I just want them to sound better than they originally do, while putting a different kind of emotional spin on them.
Not intended to be a personal attack directed towards you, but to people who make those types of VG remixes in general. (I only brought up you because, you were part of reaper-of-ratings criteria, who was invoked this discussion to begin with)

Sound better than they originally do you say? I know music is subjective and all- but paid professionals make the original mix in the first place. You're not a paid professional, so it's not going to sound "better" than the original 99% of the time.

Anyways, keep doing what you do.

except when the songs im redoing are like 10 years old and made using bad sounding samples.. I like to modernize them.

And he only mentioned me because I'm family.

And yet somehow mine do sound pretty good.. guess its pretty hard to screw up a professionally made song.. oh wait.. *looks at vg portal* I guess its not THAT hard for people to fuck them up..


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
endlessnumber
endlessnumber
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 01:09 PM Reply

Redoing VG music is like taking Romeo and Juliet and putting it in modern New York City. You get West Side Story. Now, some people prefer Romeo and Juliet, some people prefer West Side Story, some people like both! People are entitled to their opinion, and VG's a completely valid genre for adolescent nerds to screw up while people like Chron school them :P

Seriously, redoing them is just like having a different take. It's not just for easy exposure, it's a legitimate process. You know that Rihanna song "SOS?" Well... remember that 80's song "Tainted Love?"

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 6/16/08 01:09 PM, endlessnumber wrote: Redoing VG music is like taking Romeo and Juliet and putting it in modern New York City. You get West Side Story. Now, some people prefer Romeo and Juliet, some people prefer West Side Story, some people like both! People are entitled to their opinion, and VG's a completely valid genre for adolescent nerds to screw up while people like Chron school them :P

Seriously, redoing them is just like having a different take. It's not just for easy exposure, it's a legitimate process. You know that Rihanna song "SOS?" Well... remember that 80's song "Tainted Love?"

endlessnumber you are quickjly becoming one of my fave people on this site <3

and yes,.. there are so many to school.. I should start chron's university of vg music.. just so I can school them all..


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
PaulStetich
PaulStetich
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 6/14/08 05:08 PM, HouseMasta wrote:
At 6/14/08 04:17 PM, PaulStetich wrote: U could be right about that . . . dont rly see how itll get this 0-terrorist to forget about me but, it might help elsewhere. THnx
0-terrorist? you mean every single person in the AP at one point or another?

LOL naw, thats different. back THEN, well, i dunno how to put it.

No this guy goes around to everybody and votes 0, but he's been picking on me specifically. I'm just glad I have friends her on NG, otherwise my scores would be below 1.00 by now.

HouseMasta
HouseMasta
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 6/16/08 04:49 PM, PaulStetich wrote: No this guy goes around to everybody and votes 0

everybody you say? i think thats quite impossible...

but he's been picking on me specifically. I'm just glad I have friends her on NG, otherwise my scores would be below 1.00 by now.

so youre saying your friends are the only reason your songs are above 1 and not the fact that the music speaks for itself... hmm......


»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature
DzGuy
DzGuy
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. Jun. 16th, 2008 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 6/16/08 05:02 PM, HouseMasta wrote: so youre saying your friends are the only reason your songs are above 1 and not the fact that the music speaks for itself... hmm......

Well someone constantly 0'ing your work every day for no reason isn't an honest score either.


|| Audio || Art ||

BBS Signature