00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

quickstove just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

368,539 Views | 4,137 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 16:29:22

In this thread you can discuss all things related to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I thought we should have an "official" thread so people looking for it can just search "Skyrim".

The game is being developed by Bethesda Game Stuidos, and published by Bethesda Softworks. Unlike the previous installments in The Elder Scrolls series, Skyrim is said to be a direct sequel to Oblivion. Bethesda will be using a new game engine for Skyrim as well.

There isn't a ton of information available regarding the game as of now, but we do have this sexy trailer.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is set for a November 11, 2011 release.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 16:31:36

I was literally shaking and shit when I found out about this. I was considering making a thread for it, but decided to post in one of the old ones, which starts off all cloudy and unclear. I'll copy-paste what I said in there here. :D

it's confirmed to be set in Skyrim, and from the looks of it it'll cover the return of dragons to the region, which'll be fucking amazing. It mentions them being lead by 'Dovahkin/Dovahkiin', who I've never read about before, I'm assuming that he's not mentioned in the lore previously, although I don't know everything about TES lore (despite having spent more hours than any normal person reading up on it). The chances are the dragons are out of Akavir, but due to all the focus on Skyrim it could be dragons fallen over Skyrim that have regained life.

I'm dreading the announcement of system specs. My aged rig can't even run the TES site without lag soserious I can't do anything.

2nd post:

Sorry, seems I misheard it. Turns out the line is 'The one they fear', meaning that you'll be playing as Dovahkiin. The expression dragon-born gives the impression that the player will be part of the empire's bloodline, although seeing as that was severed in Oblivion it'd be pretty difficult for that to be true.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 16:33:04

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 16:36:43

Oh my god, I cannot wait! Words cannot describe the elation that I will feel when I have this game.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 16:53:23

Here's to hoping that they hire more than 6 voice actors for every NPC though.

Incredible game, but it did get annoying talking to some guy, and later on, a different guy had the same voice.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 17:06:17

At 12/12/10 04:29 PM, Makeshift wrote: In this thread you can discuss all things related to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I thought we should have an "official" thread so people looking for it can just search "Skyrim".

I just spoke to Auz about the threads we have for Skyrim and for this reason, we too feel this would be the better thread to keep all discussions about Skyrim. The other two didn't specifically name Skyrim and anyone who searches that name will see this thread as you stated.

At 12/12/10 04:53 PM, MiroDK wrote: Here's to hoping that they hire more than 6 voice actors for every NPC though.

Incredible game, but it did get annoying talking to some guy, and later on, a different guy had the same voice.

You know, I was more concerned how most NPCs had the exact same face than having the same voices. Sure, they shouldn't waste so much time to make every single NPC different to each other but it did look silly when around a quarter of the population in Cyrodiil looked alike.

While we're on the subject of voice actors, there's one person who Bethesda should try and get to do some voice roles and that man is Christopher Lee. Seriously, him and The Elder Scrolls would go so well together!

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 17:09:48

At 12/12/10 05:06 PM, Bahamut wrote: You know, I was more concerned how most NPCs had the exact same face than having the same voices. Sure, they shouldn't waste so much time to make every single NPC different to each other but it did look silly when around a quarter of the population in Cyrodiil looked alike.

Yes, that too. I swear, most of the Khajiits and the Argonians, not only had the same face, but they even had the same voice. That's a real let down you know. :(

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 17:15:31

I think this is going to be the first game I pre-order some kind of fancy ultimate edition thing for.
I can't say how excited I am for this game, I just hope it doesn't dissapoint, not that it will though.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 17:27:59

Vikings and Dragons have never before seemed as sexy to me as they do now. Can't wait to weild a gigantic axe and smash some heads.

In all seriousness, this game is gonna be great. I only wish I played more Morrowind, but I was a bit young for RPGs when I got it, so I didn't get to far in it, it was my first RPG and knowing Bethesda this will be way better than that.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 17:33:52

Can't.
Wait.

Myth

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 17:58:38

At 12/12/10 05:15 PM, Snuff wrote: I just hope it doesn't dissapoint, not that it will though.

If it goes even further down the Oblivion route, it probably will disappoint me massively, but still be one of my favourite games of all time. The nested tabs, removal of skill depth and general consolization (which will be even more of a problem with the FO3 console crowd hopping aboard this one) definitely made it fall short of the absolute work of art that is Morrowind, but it'll be extremely hard for this not to be a great game - especially in one of the regions that I've wanted to play through the most.

Oh, and putting more thought into what actually will go on, with the mention of 'dragon-born' in Skyrim, I'm definitely up for a final battle atop High Hrothgar.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 18:00:15

Fucking YES!

I was getting so pumped when the music kicked in at the end with the voices.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 19:37:48

this highlights all the glaring problems with oblivion and how Bethesda can fix them

Morrowind was the god of all fps games
Oblivion was a linear, casual gamers RPG with half the content and double the NPC fail

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 19:40:28

At 12/12/10 07:37 PM, naronic wrote: this highlights all the glaring problems with oblivion and how Bethesda can fix them

Morrowind was the god of all rpg games
Oblivion was a linear, casual gamers RPG with half the content and double the NPC fail

god why do I keep making this darn mistake...

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 20:02:16

At 12/12/10 07:37 PM, naronic wrote: this highlights all the glaring problems with oblivion and how Bethesda can fix them

Morrowind was the god of all fps games

I have to say there are some points I agree with in this list, but not all. The removal of skills and other skills being lumped together was annoying. I want spears and throwing knives back. I want there to be a separate skill set between long and short blades. However at the same time, I kind of like the way combat is in Oblivion. I like that where my sword swings I'll hit it. So perhaps something in between the two styles should be found. A low skill in blades results in clumsy slow swings, but if something is in the way they still get hit. Whereas a higher skill will result in more accurate and faster swings that are harder to deflect.

I do full heartilly agree with dialogue, and quest design though. While searching for what seemed like hours in the ash wastes wasn't any fun, assassination missions could easily loose their flare when I was told with a big green triangle where my target was. It'll be nice to see something set between the two games here as well in terms of quest design. Dialogue though needs a full upswing.

I could keep going, but in essence what I'm hoping for in gameplay and style is something that sits between Oblivion and Morrowind. Take the strengths from both to make something better.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 20:41:18

Never played oblivion, does that mean I'm fucked?

"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 20:43:31

At 12/12/10 08:41 PM, animehater wrote: Never played oblivion, does that mean I'm fucked?

No. You will still have tons of fun, I'm sure. You could also try reading a summary of the Oblivion plot online to understand the main story. But, really, the smartest thing to do would be to buy Oblivion. You could probably find it for around $20 - $30 and you have a whole 11 months to play it. Have fun.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-12 21:40:25

| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 00:26:43

I am *so* getting this, I've been hooked on these games, I cannot wait for this one

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 00:39:06

Brofist to everyone as excited as I am about this game!

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 00:53:29

Eagerly awaiting this and waiting for my life to be stolen by it.

Facebook

"Man creates his own reality."

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 02:51:55

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 02:56:48

Why can't Bethesda put this much work into a new Fallout game. In my opinion you either love Fallout or love the Elder Scrolls Series. Personally I love Fallout and I can't really get into the Elder Scrolls games so I'm just going to wait a few months after release to pick it up.

With Oblivion once you reached level 20 there was no challenge in the game, you could just cut down everything in your path. But with New Vegas for example there is still a chance you will die if your not paying attention.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 05:15:35

I am slightly dissapoint that it won't be using id Tech 5.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 05:43:02

At 12/13/10 02:51 AM, 36Holla wrote: Using a new engine for the game.

Wrong, It's still using GameBryo

Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications. "Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said. "I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game."

Hooray, We'll finally get diagonal running.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 06:24:25

At 12/13/10 02:56 AM, Simple wrote: In my opinion you either love Fallout or love the Elder Scrolls Series.

Dumbest opinion ever, and also wrong.

While I am more of an Elder Scrolls fan, I enjoy both games immensely. I've put well over 200 hours into each (and 50 into NV, but that game kind of blows).

Anyways, I'm excited for next year.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 07:22:10

At 12/13/10 05:43 AM, phrozonfire wrote:

So you're saying that they're lying?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 07:32:05

At 12/13/10 05:43 AM, phrozonfire wrote:

That's a rumour page that's older than the new information which was apparently revealed this weekend.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 07:42:21

WOW, FINALLY.

was the only one of my friends who played this Oblivion and enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to this game.

You laughing at me? YOU LAUGHING AT THE BEST!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2010-12-13 07:47:22

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGO MGOMGOMGOMG

BUCKETS! BUCKETS CAN'T HOLD MY EXCITEMENT!!!

shit!!!!

Tick Tock

BBS Signature