New Topic Respond to this Topic
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 12:57 PM Reply

I'm still creaming myself over this game. Just thought I'd let you all know. The hype is killing me, and you just know that it won't be a bomb. The Elder Scrolls series have never let me down once.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature
desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 06:26 AM, IrishGun wrote: - A total of 20 races to choose from

Wait a minute, that can't be right.

Altmer (a.k.a. High Elves)
Argonian
Bosmer (a.k.a. Wood Elves)
Breton
Dunmer (a.k.a. Dark Elves)
Imperial
Khajiit
Nord
Orc (a.k.a. Orsimer, Pariah Folk, or Corrupted Elves)
Redguard

So we would need 10 new playable races...

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
therealanimator
therealanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 02:07 PM Reply

skyrim looks small there might not be a lot of dungeons and cities to explore. I feel that skyrim might not live up to Oblivion.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 01:06 PM, desert116 wrote:
At 1/8/11 06:26 AM, IrishGun wrote: - A total of 20 races to choose from
Wait a minute, that can't be right.

Altmer (a.k.a. High Elves)
Argonian
Bosmer (a.k.a. Wood Elves)
Breton
Dunmer (a.k.a. Dark Elves)
Imperial
Khajiit
Nord
Orc (a.k.a. Orsimer, Pariah Folk, or Corrupted Elves)
Redguard

So we would need 10 new playable races...

DWARFS!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHH

You eat my battle axe you mother fucker!

BBS Signature
desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 02:07 PM, therealanimator wrote: skyrim looks small there might not be a lot of dungeons and cities to explore. I feel that skyrim might not live up to Oblivion.

Here's the map of Tamriel. See how small Vvardenfell (and Solstheim) is compared to Cyrodiil? And yet there was more to do in Morrowind than Oblivion.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 02:07 PM, therealanimator wrote: skyrim looks small there might not be a lot of dungeons and cities to explore. I feel that skyrim might not live up to Oblivion.

I'm fully confident that this game may not have as much space to travel, but it will most certainly be jammed with excitement as in previous games. Large map does not always equal more fun. It's all about the content, and Bethesda knows content.

BBS Signature
IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 02:10 PM, MrPercie wrote: DWARFS!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHH

I've also been hoping to see some more dwarven/dwemer stuff, but in the Elder Scrolls universe, all the dwarves are extinct.

You got to meet a mechanical spider-dwarf hybrid in Morrowind, but I think he was the only one left.

Although I think one of the paragraphs in the Gameinformer article on Skyrim said dwarven architecture is there, so there might be hope yet.

#sweg
#huzzledongs
#sweg

BBS Signature
Goggle
Goggle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 04:09 PM Reply

Oh my dear fucking god, after reading everything Irishgun posted I have decided that no matter what I do, I have just 10 months to rack up enough to put together a rig powerful enough to run this beautiful thing. The UI looks a bit shit, but other than that, absolutely fucking amazing.

AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 04:09 PM, Goggle wrote: Oh my dear fucking god, after reading everything Irishgun posted I have decided that no matter what I do, I have just 10 months to rack up enough to put together a rig powerful enough to run this beautiful thing. The UI looks a bit shit, but other than that, absolutely fucking amazing.

Why don't you save your money and just buy an XBOX 360? Wouldn't it save you money in that case?

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 04:33 PM Reply

TES: Arena had a map that was too large to travel (travelling between two cities meant about 2 full IRL days of travel), that game didn't have as much content either.
It's all about the side quests, and they could also increase the ratio of map VS in game space.

Also, any word about voice actors? I hated it when you spoke to a beggar and he said "hello" in this old beggar-ish voice and then you'd select an option and it would go to one of the normal voice actors.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:15 PM Reply

Here's a good load of information.

Interesting things I found that I don't think IrishGun mentioned:

- Skyrim will take place 200 years after Oblivion and isn't a direct sequel in the traditional sense of things - from a story perspective.

- Your hero will be tasked with walking 7,000 steps to the high retreat of High Hrothgar to get dragon slaying training from a group of mysterious old men that reside there called the Greybeards.

- There are said to be "six or seven really different environment looks" in Skyrim

- There are 10 races in Skyrim.

- The game world is said to be much more alive and detailed than in Oblivion, and boast incredible draw distances. Everything is said to be traversable.

- Lesser dragons roam the game world, meaning they will play a far more significant part this time around. They are a big part of Skyrim and won't be held back until the end.

- Thanks to something Bethesda are calling the Radiant story system, the game's lesser missions will react to who you are and where you are, and present you with quests that are "flavoured dynamically." That'll take into account where you've been, who you've killed, what skills you've upgraded, who are your friends and who are your enemies. For instance, a magic user may give a fellow magic user a quest, but not someone who levelled up their weapon skill.

- If you kill a shopkeeper that was going to give you a quest, his sister will inherit the store and may give you the quest out of anger or frustration instead.

- The ability to duel in the streets is mentioned.

- Through missions, the game will encourage players to go places they've never visited. For instance, a woman might ask you to save her kidnapped offspring and the game will send you to a dungeon you've never been before. It'll then set enemies that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.

- Conversations are revamped and no longer zoom in on a rigid character. Instead, characters will often get on with what they are doing with the occasional glances at the player character, for instance.

- Characters can overhear details from other people's conversations that they can do with as they see fit, from hearing about missing items or unusual situations. All of which are stored in a log.

- You can setup loadouts and change them in combat with only a momentary pause.

- Bows take longer to draw back this time, but are much more powerful.

- Bethesda has slowed down how fast you move backwards too, so you can't just backpedal in combat. Apparently being able to move as fast backwards as you can forwards made your character look ridiculous in third-person view.

- Enemies don't necessarily charge at the player when they see him this time and some will have unique patterns and tendencies.

- Players can learn unique abilities called "dragon shouts" by absorbing the souls of dragons - one of the benefits of the dragonborn - of which there are over 20 in the game and each is formed from three words of power. They can push enemies away, slow down time, transport you and even summon a dragon, amongst other things.

- There is no class system per se in Skyrim and how a player plays depends on what skills the character gains. Use a one-handed weapon, watch that skill increase, etc. You get experience for everything.

- Skill increases contribute to your overall level growth. Each level gives you a boost in health and a chance to boost health, magika or stamina.

- There are 18 separate skills in Skyrim, including such things like Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, Enchanting, etc.

- It seems like there are 50 main levels, with Howard mentioning levelling up to 50 is roughly the same time as it would be to level an Oblivion or Fallout character to 25.

- You can level up past 50, but it's a dramatically slower increase than before once you get past that threshold.

- Todd Howard confirms that Skyrim will use the perk system that they used in Fallout 3, noting that there was an automated perk system in place in Oblivion, but in Skyrim, the user has control over it. There are dozens of perks to choose from, that may increase dagger damage during stealth attacks and may mean your mace attack may ignore your foe's armour skills.

- On the official forums, Bethesda responded to questions about the game's scaling system that many didn't like in the original. "All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's," said Bethesda's Senior Community Manager on the forums.

Definitely recommend reading the entire article.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 07:15 PM, Makeshift wrote: stuff

This sounds like they fixed all the things that were found to be a problem in Oblivion. I am now looking toward this more than ever and it seems like this game will be truly immersive and the world will actually feel real. Also... a perk system in The Elder Scrolls... can you say orgasm?

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:36 PM Reply

I've never played a "The Elder Scrolls" game, but after seeings some screen shots and looking up gameplay of previous games, I might have to actually get this game. Should I play the others first?

BBS Signature
EDUCATIONALWAGON
EDUCATIONALWAGON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:37 PM Reply

ay bitches, maybe dis be readable?

download the rar my friend passed me, i scanned it three times with avast, it has the pages from gameinformer some of which are easilly legible. One of them is corrupted though.

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/22545931/f ile.html

Tweeter and the Monkey Man were hard-up for cash, they stayed up all night selling cocaine and hash.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 07:36 PM, SaltshakerClock wrote: Should I play the others first?

Why not? They're pretty cheap now.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 07:36 PM, SaltshakerClock wrote: Should I play the others first?

I'm not recommending this because you want Skyrim, but because they are awesome games. I've not played much of Arena and Daggerfall, but you should definitely pick up a copy of Morrowind and Oblivion. You can get both titles fairly cheap and they are my two favourite games of all time. I find it hard to believe when anyone says they don't like TES games. It's just not comprehensible.

Also, as for the new information that was just posted, it's blowing my mind. I want this game so badly it's unbelievable. I don't think I've ever wanted anything so much in my life. How sad.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 07:37 PM, Makeshift wrote:
Why not? They're pretty cheap now.

Well I didn't know if there was any connection storywise.

At 1/8/11 07:39 PM, Dean wrote:
I'm not recommending this because you want Skyrim, but because they are awesome games. I've not played much of Arena and Daggerfall, but you should definitely pick up a copy of Morrowind and Oblivion. You can get both titles fairly cheap and they are my two favourite games of all time. I find it hard to believe when anyone says they don't like TES games. It's just not comprehensible.

Huh, well i guess I might have to find a copy somewhere. Thanks for the advice!

BBS Signature
MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 07:15 PM, Makeshift wrote: - Skyrim will take place 200 years after Oblivion and isn't a direct sequel in the traditional sense of things - from a story perspective.

So there won't be an Empire anymore... apparently, after Oblivion the Empire collapses.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 1/8/11 07:15 PM, Makeshift wrote: Here's a good load of information.

Oh my God, this game couldnt sound more appealing to me.

I really want to pre-order the ultimate edition of this game or whatever it will be called.

Like Cootie said, its just like Oblivion but without the problems of it. Even the ones that didnt matter that much.

This must be mine.

desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 08:42 PM Reply

It's like...like they fixed everything I hoped...and made the rest even better...

BBS Signature
kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 8th, 2011 @ 10:39 PM Reply

so do we pre-order now? or do we fist-fight our way to the front of the line 11-11-11.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 07:34 AM Reply

At 1/8/11 10:39 PM, kidd25 wrote: so do we pre-order now? or do we fist-fight our way to the front of the line 11-11-11.

The sheer triumph of beating everyone to the front of the line and getting a copy would be incredible, but it wouldn't be worth the risk of missing out on such a game.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 07:41 AM Reply

At 1/8/11 10:39 PM, kidd25 wrote: so do we pre-order now? or do we fist-fight our way to the front of the line 11-11-11.

I think I'm going to hold out until we get word of the different editions that will be available for purchase. Since this game is going to be very significant in my game collection, I think it's worthy of me buying a more expensive edition, assuming it actually comes with additional stuff that makes it worth the cost.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 07:51 AM Reply

At 1/9/11 07:34 AM, Snuff wrote: The sheer triumph of beating everyone to the front of the line and getting a copy would be incredible, but it wouldn't be worth the risk of missing out on such a game.

As we all know, the day after release Bethesda burns every unsold copy of the game.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 09:16 AM Reply

The use of dragons in this game is enough for me to want it even more. I was thinking of waiting until they make a GOTY edition for Skyrim (which will 99% happen) but hell, if it's going to be this good why wait?

- There are said to be "six or seven really different environment looks" in Skyrim

I like the sound of that. It'll take a lot to top the excellent scenery of Oblivion with seeing the Imperial City from afar but I'm still confident in the great looks of the game.

- Thanks to something Bethesda are calling the Radiant story system, the game's lesser missions will react to who you are and where you are, and present you with quests that are "flavoured dynamically." That'll take into account where you've been, who you've killed, what skills you've upgraded, who are your friends and who are your enemies. For instance, a magic user may give a fellow magic user a quest, but not someone who levelled up their weapon skill.

Wow, that sounds like a few playthroughs of the game is required to do all the quests.

- On the official forums, Bethesda responded to questions about the game's scaling system that many didn't like in the original.

I must be in the minority for liking the scaling system in Oblivion. The only game I knew had a scaling level system was FFVIII but I feel it didn't work for that game. Oblivion on the other hand, I thought it was a great match. You could go anywhere without the fear of monsters overpowering you and be able to take any quest that won't put you off for having strong monsters roaming the area.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 09:23 AM Reply

At 1/9/11 09:16 AM, Bahamut wrote: You could go anywhere without the fear of monsters overpowering you and be able to take any quest that won't put you off for having strong monsters roaming the area.

See, I like having creatures that can overpower me, especially if they all lurk in a specific area. It makes me feel like I can't explore that area until I've worked on my character for a bit and makes the idea of levelling up all the more worthwhile. I wasn't so fond of the Oblivion levelling system because it didn't really feel like there was anything out there able to defeat me.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 09:28 AM Reply

OMFG I FUCKING NEED THIS GAME RIGHT NOW EJHJEORGASMYDX

not all caps btw

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 03:49 PM Reply

Hammerfell is roughly the same size as Cyrodiil, yet the world in Daggerfall was bigger than Oblivion and Morrowind combined.
Its a fantasy RPG. It can be as big as they want it to be.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 1/10/11 03:49 PM, Jackho wrote: the world in Daggerfall was bigger than Oblivion and Morrowind combined.

The game world in Daggerfall was twice the size of Britain. I believe it's one of the biggest game worlds to exist.

BBS Signature
desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer

BBS Signature