New Topic Respond to this Topic
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 28th, 2011 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 2/27/11 07:36 PM, CyprusX wrote: This game needs more decapitations and limb severing . Enough said.

Mods, mods, mods and mods!

blanblan
blanblan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Voice Actor
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 12:09 AM Reply

I do not believe I'll be creating a Wood Elf again.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 07:27 AM Reply

But has anyone seen the trailer for TES VI yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egrlzkKa6 O8

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 2/27/11 11:13 PM, Aigis wrote: It looks like a good game, and I'll probably get it close to its release.

That being said, it's kinda disappointing how much the game looks like The Lord of the Rings. It's fantasy, game developers, you an do anything you want. Try a little creativity in the art design.

I actually think it owes more of its look to Conan than Lord of the Rings. The look of the game is going for a much more Norse look, than a mostly Western European look that Lord of the Rings was aiming for. Hell Peter Jackson even said he was referencing the Romans when he designed the armour for Gondorian troops.

Yes, Rohan look like the Norse as well, but I still say that this looks more Conan than Lord of the Rings. Oblivion was more LOTR, Skyrim looks more Conan... with lusher environments.

desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 10:31 AM Reply

At 3/1/11 07:27 AM, Wolfos wrote: But has anyone seen the trailer for TES VI yet?

That is like the best thing I've ever seen.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 1st, 2011 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 3/1/11 10:31 AM, desert116 wrote:
At 3/1/11 07:27 AM, Wolfos wrote: But has anyone seen the trailer for TES VI yet?
That is like the best thing I've ever seen.

So...yeah.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 04:07 PM Reply

nobody I know IRL is even remotely excited for this game, yet they're all hyping the fuck out of MW3 when it hasn't even been announced yet.
Pisses me off so much.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 2nd, 2011 @ 05:11 PM Reply

At 3/2/11 04:07 PM, Jackho wrote: nobody I know IRL is even remotely excited for this game, yet they're all hyping the fuck out of MW3 when it hasn't even been announced yet.
Pisses me off so much.

Weird, most of the folks I talk to IRL are more excited for Skyrim than MW3.

SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 3rd, 2011 @ 05:10 AM Reply

Cannot wait for Skyrim. Was a big fan of Oblivion (I know, I stand alone D:) and happen to fall in the love both Fallout and Eldar Scrolls series camp. A rarity by the sounds of it.

At 3/1/11 09:50 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: I actually think it owes more of its look to Conan than Lord of the Rings. The look of the game is going for a much more Norse look, than a mostly Western European look that Lord of the Rings was aiming for. Hell Peter Jackson even said he was referencing the Romans when he designed the armour for Gondorian troops.

I can see a little Roman influence with Gondorian troops, but mostly it looks like helmets from Turkmenistan (Ancient Turkey) combined with your bog standard pikeman's plate armour from the late Medieval period.

If anything, Oblivion Legionaire's look more like Roman troops, just again with Turkmenistan helmets.

Yes, Rohan look like the Norse as well, but I still say that this looks more Conan than Lord of the Rings. Oblivion was more LOTR, Skyrim looks more Conan... with lusher environments.

Actually, the Rohirrim are heavily influenced by Saxon design, as they were in the book. It was a big think for Jackson to nail right due to the level of detail Tolkien went into with the people of Rohan. The helmet styles, especially the use of horse hair, the heavy use of green and cloth/wool clothing rather then fur and the predominant use of the spear/lance all point towards Angles and Saxons.

Vikings wore a lot more fur/leather due to the harsher conditions of their lifestyle. Leather was much better when travelling in the rough North Sea in a long boat, and fur helped protect against the cold winters of Finland and Norway.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008
Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com
Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 3rd, 2011 @ 12:38 PM Reply

At 3/3/11 05:10 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
At 3/1/11 09:50 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: I actually think it owes more of its look to Conan than Lord of the Rings. The look of the game is going for a much more Norse look, than a mostly Western European look that Lord of the Rings was aiming for. Hell Peter Jackson even said he was referencing the Romans when he designed the armour for Gondorian troops.
I can see a little Roman influence with Gondorian troops, but mostly it looks like helmets from Turkmenistan (Ancient Turkey) combined with your bog standard pikeman's plate armour from the late Medieval period.

I was just going from what Jackson said, but yeah I do notice their helmets look more from that area that anywhere else.

If anything, Oblivion Legionaire's look more like Roman troops, just again with Turkmenistan helmets.

I though the Legionaire's looked more Greek but with much heavier armour in Oblivion, while in Morrowind they were obviously Roman based.

Actually, the Rohirrim are heavily influenced by Saxon design, as they were in the book. It was a big think for Jackson to nail right due to the level of detail Tolkien went into with the people of Rohan. The helmet styles, especially the use of horse hair, the heavy use of green and cloth/wool clothing rather then fur and the predominant use of the spear/lance all point towards Angles and Saxons.

Vikings wore a lot more fur/leather due to the harsher conditions of their lifestyle. Leather was much better when travelling in the rough North Sea in a long boat, and fur helped protect against the cold winters of Finland and Norway.

Ah, touche. Thank you for the correction. I don't know enough about the Saxons. In the end you've also helped aid me in my original point that Lord of the Rings went for a more Western European look in the movies and majority of the games (save the Turkmenistan helmets for Gondor) Skyrim still looks to be going more Norse, Saxon and Conan look to me.

jjrmet
jjrmet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 6th, 2011 @ 09:08 AM Reply

Really can't wait for this, I even went out and bought Oblivion just to give me something to do until November, it's gonna be big!

BBS Signature
Bigbaddragon
Bigbaddragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 6th, 2011 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 3/6/11 09:08 AM, jjrmet wrote: Really can't wait for this, I even went out and bought Oblivion just to give me something to do until November, it's gonna be big!

oh wow your late, i bought oblivion back in early 07 and was completely blown away. I truly cant wait until Skyrim, i have over 150+ hours on oblivion and and i foresee even more on TES 5 :D

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 06:51 AM Reply

I've not been keeping up with Skyrim as much as I would like too, but after reading the UESP article on it I know this will be my favourite game. I'm particularly impressed with the ability to craft your own items and work for the raw materials. It's something that I thought was missing from Oblivion. It would have been really able to mine some ore, smelt it into bars and then craft your armour from it.

"The 130 dungeons in the game were created by a team of eight, whereas Oblivion's dungeons were all created by one designer." I never really had any problems with the dungeons in Oblivion, even though they really did all have the same look and feel to them, but if the eight employees working on Skyrim's dungeons is meant to suggest that there will be a lot of variation then I'm even more excited.

I just really can't wait to be playing Skyrim. It's just a shame that it has to come out midway through my third year of uni, which is apparently the busiest year because of the big group project. I've still never completed Morrowind, so I think that's something I will try and do over the summer.

Sorry if I've brought up topics that have already been covered, and I'm sure they will have been, but it's been so long since I last looked for any information on the game and this got me all hyped up again.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 3/17/11 06:51 AM, Dean wrote: I've not been keeping up with Skyrim as much as I would like too, but after reading the UESP article on it I know this will be my favourite game. I'm particularly impressed with the ability to craft your own items and work for the raw materials. It's something that I thought was missing from Oblivion. It would have been really able to mine some ore, smelt it into bars and then craft your armour from it.

"The 130 dungeons in the game were created by a team of eight, whereas Oblivion's dungeons were all created by one designer." I never really had any problems with the dungeons in Oblivion, even though they really did all have the same look and feel to them, but if the eight employees working on Skyrim's dungeons is meant to suggest that there will be a lot of variation then I'm even more excited.

I just really can't wait to be playing Skyrim. It's just a shame that it has to come out midway through my third year of uni, which is apparently the busiest year because of the big group project. I've still never completed Morrowind, so I think that's something I will try and do over the summer.

Sorry if I've brought up topics that have already been covered, and I'm sure they will have been, but it's been so long since I last looked for any information on the game and this got me all hyped up again.

130 dungeons in Skyrim? It seems to serve my knowledge that there were more dungeons than that in Oblivion. Maybe I am just confused though. Also, all the enemies you face look more badass now which is good. The enemies in Oblivion hardly looked like they were a threat.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 3/17/11 01:20 PM, Cootie wrote: 130 dungeons in Skyrim? It seems to serve my knowledge that there were more dungeons than that in Oblivion.

I never actually thought of that until you pointed it out. I've been trying to find a figure on Google for the number of dungeons in Oblivion, but I'm not succeeding. I guess it depends on what they're classing as a dungeon. Do caves count as dungeons, for example?

BBS Signature
MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 3/17/11 01:20 PM, Cootie wrote:
130 dungeons in Skyrim? It seems to serve my knowledge that there were more dungeons than that in Oblivion. Maybe I am just confused though. Also, all the enemies you face look more badass now which is good. The enemies in Oblivion hardly looked like they were a threat.

Not sure about the amount dungeons, but all of them seemed somewhat similar. But the Shivering Isles dungeons rocked.

Yeah, the enemies weren't that badass looking in Oblivion. Good that this will change in Skyrim.

Also, read this "Hostile creatures include mammoths..." Can't wait to battle a mammoth. It's going to be an epic battle

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 3/17/11 01:34 PM, MrSaint wrote: Also, read this "Hostile creatures include mammoths..." Can't wait to battle a mammoth. It's going to be an epic battle

I am hoping Skyrim's bosses will be much better than what Oblivion offered. The only good boss in Oblivion was Sheogorath. The rest were lackluster but with a game where you face several epic creatures, this better not let me down.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 02:52 PM Reply

I'm really starting to feel like I missed out by never playing Shivering Isles on Oblivion now. I always wanted a hard copy of it, but was never able to find on in stock. I could have downloaded it now if it wasn't for my broken Xbox :'(

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 17th, 2011 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 3/17/11 01:20 PM, Cootie wrote:

Even if there is less dungeons in Skyrim than Oblivion, 130 is still a lot, and this time they're all supposed to be different. So that's a plus in my books. I'd rather explore less but more varied caves, tombs and crypts, than 500 that fall into 5 or so categories.

At 3/17/11 02:42 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 3/17/11 01:34 PM, MrSaint wrote: Also, read this "Hostile creatures include mammoths..." Can't wait to battle a mammoth. It's going to be an epic battle
I am hoping Skyrim's bosses will be much better than what Oblivion offered. The only good boss in Oblivion was Sheogorath. The rest were lackluster but with a game where you face several epic creatures, this better not let me down.

Mammoths eh? That should be fun. As for 'bosses' Skyrim is already boasting about the dragons that will randomly come down to burn your flesh from your bones, and none of these fights are supposed to be easy.

psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 20th, 2011 @ 09:10 PM Reply

I have preordered it a few days ago for the PC. Oh hell this game is going to be awesome.

BBS Signature
jjrmet
jjrmet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 29th, 2011 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 3/6/11 11:20 AM, Bigbaddragon wrote:
At 3/6/11 09:08 AM, jjrmet wrote: Really can't wait for this, I even went out and bought Oblivion just to give me something to do until November, it's gonna be big!
oh wow your late, i bought oblivion back in early 07 and was completely blown away. I truly cant wait until Skyrim, i have over 150+ hours on oblivion and and i foresee even more on TES 5 :D

I got Oblivion when it came out originally, but got rid of it after doing everything the game had to offer putting in at least 200 + hours. I got it again now I've done about 60 hours and it all feels new to me, if Skyrim is nearly as good as Oblivion I will be very very happy.

BBS Signature
jjrmet
jjrmet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 29th, 2011 @ 08:38 PM Reply

Sorry for the double post, but there is some new screen-shots on this website, think they were in the OXM article.

Enjoy.

BBS Signature
Balazeal
Balazeal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 29th, 2011 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 3/29/11 08:38 PM, jjrmet wrote: Sorry for the double post, but there is some new screen-shots on this website, think they were in the OXM article.

See what you did there? Do...do you just realize what you've done? Now I'm all excited again. November feels much farther away now than it did a minute ago.

Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 3/29/11 08:38 PM, jjrmet wrote: Sorry for the double post, but there is some new screen-shots on this website, think they were in the OXM article.

Enjoy.

My eyes are bleeding of awesomeness.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
KillerGoose
KillerGoose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 01:16 AM Reply

Enjoy.

As usual, they manage to deliver the beautifully stunning and detailed scenery that I've loved since Morrowwind.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 31st, 2011 @ 11:32 AM Reply

At 3/29/11 10:02 PM, GoatBeak wrote: Most newer games only support DirectX. I wish more games would support OpenGL, as I'm on a linux system, and DirectX is proprietary meaning the linux community can't manipulate/distribute it. This causes a lot of compatibility/performance issues when using WINE (A windows compatibility layer) to play other games, like The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It makes me really sad, and bored.

If I really want to play Skyrim though, I guess I'll just have to buy a gaming console. Much better performance, but no mods. Speaking of mods, has anyone ever heard of the patches made for TES games by Quarn & Kivan?

he Unofficial Oblivion Patches(Oblivion obviously) and Unofficial Patch Project (for Morrowind). There's probably going to be more unofficial patches like this for Skyrim. Does anyone think that maybe Bethesda should have integrated some of their work into official patches? I think it would be great to have the 1000+ bugfixes from the UOP on consoles. Bethesda probably won't do it though, and I'm not sure about how it would work legally, seeing as the author of UOP are unpaid.

11/11/11

They could strike a deal with them, but they won't. Oblivion had pretty shitty cross-platform support. The interface was the same for all systems (the Xbox360 and PS3 versions still had the "exit conversation" button, which wasn't even usable on consoles, the PC version had a way too large crosshair).

Oblivion worked pretty good through Wine, only it lagged every time an NPC engaged battle with you. I'll just get it for my Windows PC, even though I hate it. It's just the superior version.
It would be awesome if it used the ID tech 5 engine, though, that uses OpenGL for all platforms and has OS-X/Linux support.

POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mar. 31st, 2011 @ 12:27 PM Reply

Enjoy.

Old pics are old.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
Rocksbury
Rocksbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Apr. 3rd, 2011 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 4/3/11 12:04 AM, Rocksbury wrote: Guess someone finally understood what is being chanted.

But I don't want my mom to die.

BBS Signature
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Apr. 3rd, 2011 @ 01:32 PM Reply

At 4/3/11 12:04 AM, Rocksbury wrote: Guess someone finally understood what is being chanted.

Heh that's pretty funny. I wan't this game so fucking bad. :C

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature