Reviews for "A Sweet Typing Thrill"

Medal review: 4 stars here only because of difficulty level. Love the progression and medals for completing each answer which is always going to get a good review right there. Solid game and solid medal list. Look forward to seeing another installment.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I suppose that's fair, even if the game is intentionally difficult. I'm glad you enjoyed it to the most part!
Yeah, I think it's nice to give rewards for every accomplishment on a game like this :3

Finally the Lucid Dreamer has graced us with his Absolutely wonderful work. Once again this game blew my mind. All the little tidbits hidden here and there coming together into one. Marvellous.
The last puzzle was very difficult, but through the process of elimination, it was obviously the red herrings. Just.. Coded.

Majority of the puzzles were straightforward.. Except for the secret ending. I wracked my brain for what seemed like hours and finally, through trial and error, i figured it out. I won't say anymore, as i might give away the answer, but let me tell you how i came to figure it out. Everything in the game seemed like a clue. I assumed it would be like your previous one, but i was wrong. As usual.
Then i saw it. And i came to realize: Why would a mastermind name their creation something like THAT? After going through the process of elimination, i finally figured it out. As plain as broad daylight. Is that how the saying goes? what goes around come around. The answer was right there. screaming out to me. very "Sweet" Indeed.

I won't write too much, just know that i am a very big fan of yours. And if you plan on continuing the series (most likely) then i look forward to it, You Cunning Mastermind.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you for the nice review, HugoTheFighter101!
I'm glad to see that you didn't find the sequel disappointing, but on the contrary seem to have enjoyed it quite some ^ ^
It's probably a good thing that the final stage is fairly difficult, as it probably would be a bit boring otherwise :)

Great job figuring out the secret ending on your own! It's not something that's easy to do :3
Thanks for not spoiling anything more about it, but it is indeed very 'sweet', isn't it ;)?

I do plan on continuing the series with one more final game. However, I'm afarid it'll take quite a while until I've gathered the energy to create it :)

Thanks once again for pkaying, and for reviewing!

i was so hoping you would make a sequel for the previous one which i loved, and was almost losing hope, and then you came and did it! this was really fun, maybe little short and easy since only thing i got stuck was the third one with rotate and such, and of course the secret ending.

I was so sure that it had something to do with all the skills learned in the game, so i started my journey. the real surname was easy to figure out, same as in the previous one but with a little tweak, but anyway, i started hunting the secret from that. i translated the surname in the rotate 13, after that i went and translated it to morse code, and THEN i translated it to binary, and guess what i got! aaaabsoluuuutely nothing... BUT, then i took the surname, put that in the morse, and that into binary, and it translated to P@ like as in pat, which i celebrated thinking i finally got the answer!!! aaaaaand then it wasn't that... so i got frustrated and tried couple of combinations until i just gave up and just looked the answer... and let it blow my mind... and now i start to be skeptic about everything...

buuut, it was really fun game, and i'm really looking for the next one! so, any idea when its coming out or are you even planning it to come out any time soon or do we have to wait another year for it?

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Heh, I know it took a while, but I hope you're happy with the result!
Taking games takes time, especially since my main shtick is being a composer/musician. It may have been fairly easy for you, but I need to keep the games at a level where they'll be enjoyable to a larger playerbase. Naturally, I still don't want the games to be super easy ^ ^

You came up with some pretty nice stuff to try for the secret ending! I've seen a few other people come up with some really impressive things as well :)
I'm glad to hear that you don't seem to be disappointed with what it actually is in the end though :)
It's quite easy to hide information right under their noses, if people don't know that it exists, or where to look for it.
Btw, try to avoid what could be spoilers in later reviews :p

Thanks for playing the game, and for leaving a positive review! I appreciate it, alipapapupu (cool name too; has an interesting phonetic ring to it).

I'm sorry to say, I think you'll have to wait for longer than a year. As I mentioned, game developement isn't really my area of expertice, but rather a hobby I have fun with on the side. Thanks for the enthusiasm though!
I'm sure I'll get to creating it eventually though :3

Played both games, I'm honestly impressed.

Where to even start. The wordplay is phenomenal on both games, especially in the first one *cough*Reverse*cough* and the amount of detail is crazy. In the first game it's actually kind of funny how that puzzle felt incredibly hard compared to the ones that followed and took me... quite some time to beat, lol

Fortunately, the somewhat uneven difficulty curve was addressed in this sequel. It's kinda tough to address the puzzles without spoiling anything to any potential player here, so I'm just gonna stick to the feedback and my overall experience with the game.

The only real criticism I can give is towards the typography. I think it's a bit of a pain at first, since I had to get used to a font that is all-caps and slanted, plus stylized in a way that makes reading more challenging at smaller sizes. I'd call it a typography crime, since while it might add to the game atmosphere (quite opinable at this point), it sacrifices some readability and honestly I don't feel like getting a new pair of glasses to read a few passages from a screen. A more readable font would have been nice, since some of the glyphs are fairly ambiguous too, as noted down below. I understand that I can't pretend everyone to have studied graphic design and therefore know the importance of visual communication, but I'm only pointing out a detail that could be useful for any future endeavor you'd want to embark on.

The audio is, that goes without saying, very fitting to the kind of setting you've established. There's the mystery, uneasiness, with a hint of tragedy too. I like puzzle games that include sound as a game mechanic, and I think that as "civilized" and "modern" as we are, we rely too much on our sight compared to our other senses. Well done on the secret ending, as well.

Honestly, if there's a word that can well sum up both games is "clever".
Very good puzzle design and flow, great audio and nice writing.

PS: Looking forward to talk about some other nitpicks in better detail on Skype. :)

Hello, friend!

Thank you for playing both of the games, and on such a short notice too! Means a lot that you enjoyed both of them ^ ^

I think I just turned my habit of making really bad puns into these stories and puzzles haha :D I guess after all these years, it's good to get some substantial use out of them >:D

Jokes aside, I did indeed put a lot of detail into the writing. Because of the format, I had to think about pretty much every sentence, and how they all connect together.
As for the 'reverse' level in the first game, I kinda threw it in there to show that not all puzzles could be expecet to be entirely similar, or color out the hints :)
In the second game, I was less vague (to the most part), as the theme wasn't as revolved around wordgames per se.

Thank you for avoiding spoilers! At least I can be proud that the walthrough for this game, that someone recorded and uploaded, is that person's most viewed video for 4 weeks, by far >:)

Yah, I totally get what you're saying about the typography. I am honestly not happy about it, but for complicated reasons I was in a rush when making the game, and kinda had to settle for something which wasn't entirely finished. On the accidental plus side (based on studies I've read because of my studies [more horrible wordplay; a bonus just for you]), the extra concentration probably helps a few people solve some puzzles they might not otherwise, or at least do it quicker. Not intentional though, nor an excuse.
The font for the first game is something I spent slightly more time on, and also something which looks more like I intended it to (thought the Z and a few other letters probably should've been clearer). But that font wouldn't make much sense in this game, and I didn't want to use a standard one, and ended up with something in between, haha. Sorry about that!

As for the audio, I think both of use realize how important this aspect of games can be :)
What you said about our senses, is actually something I had in mind when making the level. I definitely wanted to make sure to break the user's habit of relying on the text alone :p
The secret ending is the first thing I came up with for the game. It's a shame that it too was included in the walkthrough, but I suppose that is just how things go!

Clever is a good a word as any compliment for the games, so thank you once more. For that, and for leaving a long and helpful review :3

P.S. I guess the Skype chat kinda happened already... But that's fine, innit? ;)

I'm very impressed by the solution to the secret ending. So simple yet so elegant and I had such a hard time figuring it out. All of the research I did to solve it was for nothing.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I'm glad that you liked it! I put a bit of thought into it, after all :p
It's nice that you spent some time trying to figure it out on your own! Even if you didn't reach the right solution in this case, I'm sure it wasn't for nothing. Thanks for playing :)