Reviews for "A Sweet Typing Thrill"

Oh I remember playing its predecessor! It left quite an impression on me. Thoroughly enjoyed this one as well, especially the music and the writing, though I have to admit the puzzles were trickier this time. Really looking forward to the next installment of this series!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a couple of days!
I'm glad you enjoyed the sequel! It's nice to know that some people who played the firt game managed to find the second one :D
I think the puzzles were trickier in this second game for most people, so that sounds about right :)

Thanks for playing and for reviewing ^ ^

This was easy for me, as I've actually studied cryptography. However, it was still clever and refreshing -- especially how some of the puzzles require the player to go "outside the box" -- and the puzzles worked well with the computerized theme. On the whole, it was enjoyable and satisfying, and the music complemented the atmosphere quite well.

Other than the issue with the riddle (which you mentioned in your news post) the only real gripe I have is that it's hard to tell where the message starts and stops on the "cries of truth" level. While this isn't a major issue -- the player can of course cycle through all the possible sequences of numbers -- I at least had to redo it a few times because I didn't realize that's what I had wrong.

As for the secret ending, it was of course brilliant. The hangup I had with it is that I thought the puzzle was related to the story somehow, as in the last game; so even after I solved it, I didn't realize what I had was the answer. I don't expect there's a lot you can do about this, though.

Regardless of all, this was excellent, and I eagerly await more of your work.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

If you've actually studied cryptography, I can understand why this game was easy for you :)
After all, even though the general difficulty is above avarage, it's still made so that most people who want to try will be able to play and eventually beat it :p

I've always liked "outside of the box" elements in games, if they aren't all too vague. As a musician, I obviously wanted the game to have a great atmosphere too :D

As for the "cries of truth" level, I get where you're coming from. However, there is a way to tell where the message strats. But I don't want to spoil things in the review section!
I can only imagine how difficult it must've been to discern these messages quickly back in the day!

It's nice that you appreciate the secret ending. I admit that it's quite vague, and doesn't have much of a connection to how the other puzzles are build. Of course, that is also intentional, since I don't want it to distract from the story. It's more of an easter egg, really :)

Thank you for playing, and for writing an encouraging review!

I just played "Playing with Letters" and "A Sweet Typing Thrill" in one go and I loved both of them!

For me, the second part was way harder. In the first game, I only cheated on the last riddle but this time the "Rotate" riddle was kinda impossible without help.
I took a lucky guess with the last one (ok, the theme of this part made it easier to guess) and was happy I took notes ^_^

Anyway, I hope to see more in this series!
Keep up the great work!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you for playing both games, and in one go too! I'm glad you enjoyed them both :3

I do think that in general, the second game is more difficult than the first. I know that that stage is next to impossible without going outside of the game, but there's a reference to a certain website in that level, on purpose ;)

It's good that you took notes! After all, it's also encouraged within the game ^ ^

Thanks you again for leaving reviews on both games, and best of luck to you in whatever you do :)

Ho-lee shit... This game just bloody amazing. I can't believe the quality of the writing and the wordplay and just... ugh! I got stuck on the rotate puzzle but then I had a light bulb moment, and I was filled with pure admiration for you and this great game. Keep it up mate.

Also, the secret ending... Completely blew my mind. Another light bulb moment if you will.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I'm glad you had some of those light bulb moments, since they are what I wanted to give the players, through the game. The feeling you get when you solve something is always quite nice ^ ^
The writing took quite a while for me, so it's great that you think it's good!

Thank you for playing and for reviewing, THD :)

As expected, awesome :D

Took me less time to figure the answers on this one, compared to the prequel. But maybe because I love communication? Or maybe the game is slightly easier? Either way it was challenging enough for me to get stuck on the Rotate one.
And I'm still stuck at the ending, but will definitely come back to try again

As for the game revew,
Even though there are no "graphics" to review (aside from the font used), but that leaves more space for you, the player, to imagine yourself as the detective, rackng your brain to find the solution for this weird case, possibly with other's lives (and your own) at stake. And I find this pretty neat. The music fits right in and the voices creeped me out xD
Will recommend to my friends when we talk about puzzle/riddle games!

Thank you, Danpcz!

Intereting that you in general found this instalment to be easier than the second one, as I'm pretty sure it has been the other way around for most other people :O
Great job getting so far in one go!

The ending is a bit of a tough one, but maybe you remember the basic concept from the first game? It's a bit different, but don't forget to pay attention while you play the game again, in order to get back to the last stage.

Yeah, I've decided that even if I could've added some graphics, like a desk and a computer with a screen, I wanted to go with a more "pure" text-based feel. Also, I think indeed think it makes it easier for the player to immerse into the game (within the game) as if they were playing it themselves.

Glad you like the music! :D

Thanks again for playing, reviewing, and for possibly recommending this to your friends!