00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mxntjam just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Underrated Artist Hangout Thread

9,005 Views | 308 Replies

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 13:49:57

At 1/27/21 01:43 PM, DevilRat wrote:
At 1/25/21 08:55 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote: Newgrounds is truly a place where artists from all walks of life can come onstage and make it big without being screwed over by algorithms and censorship and the like. Despite this there are still many artists on this site who put out great content and still don't get the recognition they deserve. And as a consequence of being underrated, it can be difficult to connect with other artists in a similar situation. Which sucks, because connecting with those who are also just trying to make it like you are, is a great opportunity to learn and grow with each other and learn what it takes to make something of yourself out in the vast, vast, cutthroat world of art.

So here is this thread to come and save the day! Maybe. Not sure whether this'll actually develop into anything or not, but I feel it's most certainly worth a shot, especially since I haven't seen anything like this in the BBS before.

If you're an artist who makes great art and you feel you have an unacceptably low follower count - or whatever the case may be - consider this thread your new home! If you want to interact with your fellow underrated artists about your crafts, your work ethics, why you create the art you create, your future plans for where to take your art, career choices, hobbies and other non-art-related things, whatever ends up happening! Let's try to make this a friendly chill zone where everyone is welcome.

I'll kickstart this thing off by pinging a whole bunch of artists that I personally consider underrated in hopes that they will heed the signal and flock on over! Feel free to ping artists you consider underrated yourself! I'd recommend not pinging anyone with more than 50-60 followers, but obviously this is just a general guideline. I'm also well aware I'm pretty much only pinging those who are primarily active in the Art and Movies Portals because that's just where my expertise is, but underrated game devs and musicians are most certainly welcome here too!

Anyways, let's get this thing going hopefully.

@AdepthZone
@AshlynniisBrackets
@asemsera
@Blankyboi19
@Citrine106
@Cowzey
@cribble
@DozyMike
@DSixZey
@dunkleshreken
@ElemenopeeN
@FoofooCuddlypoop
@GenericAnime
@Gvilyam
@headstove
@heartcandi
@Holokin
@IquooArt
@JackyCoco
@JavaJake
@JustRigo
@Kerriska
@MagnificentArsehole
@MatthewLemons
@MellonSnow
@NeoBlueRose
@OniDraws
@Pancaketophat
@PowPink
@projectanything (creators of @XRL-7)
@Ribbon-Dove
@rivux
@Rxxou
@semicabbage
@Spazdables
@Sulaimandoodle
@sumawesum
@TechnicalBliss
@TENGUSE
@WhiteHorseAnimations
I seen these artists before. Though not underrated, but pretty much niche.

Regardless of whether they're truly underrated or just niche, it's never a crime to try and grow your audience through your own improvement and networking.

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 13:52:12

At 1/27/21 01:49 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote:
At 1/27/21 01:43 PM, DevilRat wrote:
At 1/25/21 08:55 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote: Newgrounds is truly a place where artists from all walks of life can come onstage and make it big without being screwed over by algorithms and censorship and the like. Despite this there are still many artists on this site who put out great content and still don't get the recognition they deserve. And as a consequence of being underrated, it can be difficult to connect with other artists in a similar situation. Which sucks, because connecting with those who are also just trying to make it like you are, is a great opportunity to learn and grow with each other and learn what it takes to make something of yourself out in the vast, vast, cutthroat world of art.

So here is this thread to come and save the day! Maybe. Not sure whether this'll actually develop into anything or not, but I feel it's most certainly worth a shot, especially since I haven't seen anything like this in the BBS before.

If you're an artist who makes great art and you feel you have an unacceptably low follower count - or whatever the case may be - consider this thread your new home! If you want to interact with your fellow underrated artists about your crafts, your work ethics, why you create the art you create, your future plans for where to take your art, career choices, hobbies and other non-art-related things, whatever ends up happening! Let's try to make this a friendly chill zone where everyone is welcome.

I'll kickstart this thing off by pinging a whole bunch of artists that I personally consider underrated in hopes that they will heed the signal and flock on over! Feel free to ping artists you consider underrated yourself! I'd recommend not pinging anyone with more than 50-60 followers, but obviously this is just a general guideline. I'm also well aware I'm pretty much only pinging those who are primarily active in the Art and Movies Portals because that's just where my expertise is, but underrated game devs and musicians are most certainly welcome here too!

Anyways, let's get this thing going hopefully.

@AdepthZone
@AshlynniisBrackets
@asemsera
@Blankyboi19
@Citrine106
@Cowzey
@cribble
@DozyMike
@DSixZey
@dunkleshreken
@ElemenopeeN
@FoofooCuddlypoop
@GenericAnime
@Gvilyam
@headstove
@heartcandi
@Holokin
@IquooArt
@JackyCoco
@JavaJake
@JustRigo
@Kerriska
@MagnificentArsehole
@MatthewLemons
@MellonSnow
@NeoBlueRose
@OniDraws
@Pancaketophat
@PowPink
@projectanything (creators of @XRL-7)
@Ribbon-Dove
@rivux
@Rxxou
@semicabbage
@Spazdables
@Sulaimandoodle
@sumawesum
@TechnicalBliss
@TENGUSE
@WhiteHorseAnimations
I seen these artists before. Though not underrated, but pretty much niche.
Regardless of whether they're truly underrated or just niche, it's never a crime to try and grow your audience through your own improvement and networking.

Good to grow your audience with niche content. Just don't do a western company by replacing the fans.... Looking at Star Wars how there is two distinct seperations in the fans, and "fans". I am continuing to digitally paint with some character illustrations here and there.

Join The Rat Cult and grasp firmly.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 15:12:33

At 1/27/21 05:40 AM, MellonSnow wrote:
What's your comic on tapas called? :D

My comic on tapas is called Quipu.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 15:14:09

At 1/27/21 05:43 AM, MellonSnow wrote:
I'm a very happy person so it's about loss and grief. Please don't eat me.
It's actually very interesting that a happy person makes very sad content and vise-versa huh!
Comedians, comedy comic writes etc. can often be very depressed/sad people in their personal lives.

I was being sarcastic lol but yeah that's very true

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 15:48:37

Your cousins were right. The animation he is working on is soupy poopy I’ve seen it everything he touches turns to turds.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 15:50:33

At 1/26/21 10:07 PM, DesertSage wrote: I'll sometimes leave notes on artists that leave an impact larger than being underappreciated.

@sleeeeeenky
@GoGoJo - Good artist and character designer who really should post more.
@palmshoes
@Purple-Addict - Good with Trad Art. Lotsa purple, like the name says. Got gumption
@CoolGuyAnubis
@chinesegator
@RoomsintheWalls - S l i m y, W i t h ch o mp e rs !!
@Toonsly - Fantastic replicator of the Fleischer/Disney Rubberhose style of animation with a modern twist.
@PDDimes - Makin me gay for robots. (More than i already was)
@NeroGalvano
@sadewoo
@zoetheduck - Reminding me why I like Yakuza. Just barely skates out of the threshold.
@InkInMyFingers - Gottem to listen to music I like. They get love. :)
@JustWorkingOnIt
@Psychoinabox - Wholesome images that are better motivational posters than what corporates make.
@Garnet-Frost - Cheating a lil but I still wanna throw you love.
@Cobalt-C3rberus
@Juicedupmangoes - Unscouted, and for some ungodly reason has 90 Followers, one of which is me. Somebody scout'em for god's sake!

Yoooo thank you for the mention! It's definitley awesome to know my art is underrated :)

my name is CoolGuyAnubis, or if ya really wanted to, you can just call me Hudson, if that wasnt obvious enough lmao.

Im a self-taught freelance Animator and Artist. Im currently in the process of making a show called "A Pretty Cool Show", a scifi comic called "A Guide To Saving The Universe Book 1 - 3", and concept art for a game called "Revenite" (you can find them on instagram). I plan on doing a whole ton o' shit in the future ranging from working with big creators to maybe even working at an animation studio

I started out drawing back in 2016 after my large dip into depression, it actually helped me out of that hole and acted like a cure-all, art really got me in a good mindset ever since I started it.

Again tho, thank you for the mention, it helps a lot :)

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 16:18:05

At 1/27/21 01:52 PM, DevilRat wrote: Good to grow your audience with niche content. Just don't do a western company by replacing the fans.... Looking at Star Wars how there is two distinct seperations in the fans, and "fans". I am continuing to digitally paint with some character illustrations here and there.

fuck are you talking about lol

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 16:24:02

At 1/27/21 03:12 PM, JustRigo wrote:
At 1/27/21 05:40 AM, MellonSnow wrote:
What's your comic on tapas called? :D
My comic on tapas is called Quipu.

Cool! I'll look it up! :D

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 16:25:10

At 1/27/21 04:18 PM, Urichov wrote: fuck are you talking about lol

I think he’s talking about how a lot of artists will over time stray way off the type of art their original followers followed them for, to the point where those original followers routinely ask themselves, “Why do I still follow this person?”

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 16:32:59

At 1/27/21 04:25 PM, Kerriska wrote:
At 1/27/21 04:18 PM, Urichov wrote: fuck are you talking about lol
I think he’s talking about how a lot of artists will over time stray way off the type of art their original followers followed them for, to the point where those original followers routinely ask themselves, “Why do I still follow this person?”

That's fair I suppose, though Star Wars of all things I don't think has ever been niche

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 16:59:54

At 1/27/21 12:50 AM, Rxxou wrote:
At 1/26/21 09:37 PM, heartcandi wrote:
At 1/26/21 03:19 PM, Rxxou wrote: 2) What do you make?
For illustrations, I mostly just draw whatever interests me that week. Other than that I'm working on 3 things:
Withering Dawn - A series of short horror stories I post whenever I come up with a new one
Rxxou - Animation I'll upload in the future
StarBorn - Webcomic I'm making in the style of a sci-fi western
You have a lot of projects you're working on! I need a work ethic like you ;-; For the Rxxou animation, what will it be about?
Always remember to work smarter not harder, pick one thing you want to see done and work on that. DONT be a dummy and work on multiple things at a time like me. The animation will just be a short high energy comedy about a demon living on earth.

I am the CEO of doing too much at once lol so I'll make sure to take a mental note of that! Also, I love the concept. Can't wait to see it :)

Every time you stop running, I'm only getting closer

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:09:23

At 1/27/21 04:38 AM, HavryloThePigeon wrote: Just wanna thank @heartcandi for putting out a nice little list of questions for everyone to answer. Looking back I should've just done that myself in the first place so I'm glad someone else decided to do it lol

No prob! Nothin can go wrong with a little Icebreaker

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:19:37

Noice

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:22:20

At 1/27/21 05:31 AM, MellonSnow wrote:
oop, The tables have turned. But since you asked so nicely~ I'll give it a shot!

1) Who are you?
I'm a regular digital artist that spends 90% of my time thinking of what to draw and 10% of my time actually drawing

2) What do you make?
I make a buncha fanart cause that's all I know o-o

3) What got you into art?
Like all you guys, I've been drawing ever since I was a small kid. But I guess what had me stick to it was seeing my small growth over the years and seeing what I could make in the future if I kept at it.

4) What are some goals (big and/or small) you wish to achieve?
For a big goal, It would be really cool if I could one day help out in making an animated movie. A small goal I'm working on rn is focusing on my craft & my fundamentals as an artist since I've been feeling mediocre on what I make recently.
That's really cool! So you would like to be an animator? Or more in the sense of concept art/character art etc.?
Do you have any studio's in mind that you admire? :D

Yup! I'd like to be a professional animator one of these days. And if my feeble mind can handle it, I'd like to learn both 3d and 2d animation (2d for sure since I have a soft spot for it). Some studios I would love to work in would be: Pixar (fingers-crossed!), Sony, Dreamworks, & Titmouse just to name a few.

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:23:13

At 1/27/21 03:48 PM, GenericAnime wrote: Your cousins were right. The animation he is working on is soupy poopy I’ve seen it everything he touches turns to turds.

Just like your channel "growth"

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:24:29

At 1/27/21 05:37 AM, MellonSnow wrote:
At 1/26/21 09:32 PM, heartcandi wrote:
Now that you've mentioned that, I can totally see it lol. Your style is really cute tho!
Oh dang, so it is true! haha
Thank you! I always find it hard to define my own style :P

What kind of comics would you like to create?
You mean, as in genre? I don't really think in terms of genres but often use dreams as bases for the stories i come up with, or images that come to me while daydreaming i guess.
But in general they all have fantasy or magic elements in them! I'm not as interested in everyday story plots.

God, makes me wanna start making them right now just talking about it pffhaha

That's cool! Are there any recent dreams/daydreams that have sparked any comic ideas?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:28:24

At 1/27/21 06:19 AM, Duplexide wrote: What's up! I wasn't tagged by anyone but I'm very new to the Newgrounds community despite browsing the site for about 15 years. Might as well plug my stuff here and answer those thread questions!

1) Who are you?
I go by Dupe, I'm obsessed with science fiction media, red/blue color coding and 90s nostalgia. I've watched The Matrix way too many times and I'm storing my last will and testate in the expansion bay of my PS2.

2) What do you make?
I use my interests stated above to mostly make crazy retrofuturistic sci fi art! I'm currently developing a webcomic that will be launching very soon. Here's some examples of characters and environments from it.

3) What got you into art?
Video games and boredom mostly. I liked the idea of creating new realities once getting bored of the one we're stuck in.

4) What are some goals (big and/or small) you wish to achieve?
My current goal is to launch my webcomic within the next month or two. It's something I've been working towards for years so I'm pretty hyped about it.

I appreciate this thread giving me the opportunity to introduce me and my stuff, thanks!

Wow man, your art is so dope! I'm surprised that you're not flooding with followers. I'm anticipating seeing your webcomic!

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:35:22

Thank you for including me mate, means a lot!

Well, had originally meant this for Pigeon, but I guess @heartcandi earned it.

iu_232048_7630396.jpg

Edit: jfc this is stupid.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 17:59:07

Awesome initiative!!

I've been on Newgrounds for at least a decade and a half now, but mostly spent my time in the BBS these days.

Besides that, I make different types of art. Mostly music here!

I make music in different genres; Trip-Hop, vaporwave, ambient, experimental music etc etc

My visual art is mostly available on my Instagram as it's not entirely Newgrounds type art.

I also like writing poetry, I have written some Dutch and English spoken word poems.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 18:18:26

At 1/27/21 05:59 PM, Zerodecoole wrote: Awesome initiative!!

I've been on Newgrounds for at least a decade and a half now, but mostly spent my time in the BBS these days.

I make music in different genres; Trip-Hop, vaporwave, ambient, experimental music etc etc

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/967111

My visual art is mostly available on my Instagram as it's not entirely Newgrounds type art.

I also like writing poetry, I have written some Dutch and English spoken word poems.

Dude that poetry video is legit something that looks like it should have a million views, just because of the subject matter and all. And it's just well made so there's that too!

Looking forward to Party Island! I listened to your Class of 97 album and it's really good, so I'm hyped!

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 18:39:26

At 1/27/21 03:50 PM, CoolGuyAnubis wrote:
At 1/26/21 10:07 PM, DesertSage wrote: I'll sometimes leave notes on artists that leave an impact larger than being underappreciated.

@sleeeeeenky
@palmshoes
@Purple-Addict - Good with Trad Art. Lotsa purple, like the name says. Got gumption
@CoolGuyAnubis
@chinesegator
@Toonsly - Fantastic replicator of the Fleischer/Disney Rubberhose style of animation with a modern twist.
@NeroGalvano
@sadewoo
@zoetheduck - Reminding me why I like Yakuza. Just barely skates out of the threshold.
@JustWorkingOnIt
@Psychoinabox - Wholesome images that are better motivational posters than what corporates make.
@Cobalt-C3rberus
@Juicedupmangoes - Unscouted, and for some ungodly reason has 90 Followers, one of which is me. Somebody scout'em for god's sake!
Yoooo thank you for the mention! It's definitley awesome to know my art is underrated :)

my name is CoolGuyAnubis, or if ya really wanted to, you can just call me Hudson, if that wasnt obvious enough lmao.

Im a self-taught freelance Animator and Artist. Im currently in the process of making a show called "A Pretty Cool Show", a scifi comic called "A Guide To Saving The Universe Book 1 - 3", and concept art for a game called "Revenite" (you can find them on instagram). I plan on doing a whole ton o' shit in the future ranging from working with big creators to maybe even working at an animation studio

I started out drawing back in 2016 after my large dip into depression, it actually helped me out of that hole and acted like a cure-all, art really got me in a good mindset ever since I started it.

Again tho, thank you for the mention, it helps a lot :)

You too also have a lot of projects going on like @rxxou. They seem like very exciting stuff, hope all goes well!

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 18:48:31

At 1/27/21 05:48 PM, Kerriska wrote: Well, had originally meant this for Pigeon, but I guess @heartcandi earned it.

Edit: jfc this is stupid.

This is truly beautiful. So beautiful that I might cry.

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 18:51:57

At 1/27/21 05:59 PM, Zerodecoole wrote: Awesome initiative!!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/967111

the trippy visuals are pretty cool! How do you go about making them?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 19:20:40

At 1/27/21 06:18 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote:
Dude that poetry video is legit something that looks like it should have a million views, just because of the subject matter and all. And it's just well made so there's that too!

Looking forward to Party Island! I listened to your Class of 97 album and it's really good, so I'm hyped!

Thank you, I really appreciate that 💛

At 1/27/21 06:51 PM, heartcandi wrote: the trippy visuals are pretty cool! How do you go about making them?

Thanks!!

Most of my work is pure improvisation, just playing around with the tools from the software. Especially with the 3D animations, those were the result Cinema 4D's gravity and dynamics functions and I basically just let the 3D models interact with each other and make the animations actually happening instead of animating it by giving the world real weight and gravity!

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 19:48:59

This is a great idea for a thread. Here's a few artists I've found with so much great works and so little followers:

@sodac - This dude makes awesome vaporwave/synthwave music, he's got phat and crispy sounds and only has 21 freakin' followers. Here's a tune by him:

@Fried-noodles - He's got a cute lil' three-eyed catboy oc, but he hasn't posted anything since July of last year.

@TorchicZK - Really likes drawing Mega man robotmaster ocs if you're into that.

@Vj - This guy does a variety of music genres, ranging from 90's jungle to hip hop beats and videogame stuff.

@EtyZips - YOU CANNOT MAKE ART THIS GOOD AND ONLY HAVE 10 FANS. Seems like he only posts on instagram now, but the art he posted is freaking awesome look at the detail of this!!

@RikoriStorm - They're working on a comic about a little scorpion dude that stumbles upon an abandoned castle in the middle of the desert. The comic itself is only in Webtoons tho.

@d0munit - This guy draws a lot of robot girls, and even has a tomboy robot girl oc if you're interested.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 19:52:10

At 1/27/21 04:02 PM, UggoSonno wrote: @SnippyJammin is one criminally underrated artist

Wait that's me though. You can't just say that after I upload four ironic drawings instead of actual content.

Invoking the name of @LizardFungus, because he never stops submitting stuff. Really likes edgy rabbits, bugs, & robots — usually in combination.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 23:23:36

@sleeeeeenky
@palmshoes
@CoolGuyAnubis
@chinesegator
@NeroGalvano
@sadewoo
@JustWorkingOnIt
@Cobalt-C3rberus

Thank you for the mention Desert!

Means a lot~ <3

Adam Sandler's Click.

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-28 03:18:31

At 1/27/21 07:48 PM, Jatmoz wrote: This is a great idea for a thread. Here's a few artists I've found with so much great works and so little followers:

@sodac - This dude makes awesome vaporwave/synthwave music, he's got phat and crispy sounds and only has 21 freakin' followers. Here's a tune by him:
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/981900

@Fried-noodles - He's got a cute lil' three-eyed catboy oc, but he hasn't posted anything since July of last year.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/fried-noodles/japanese-style-3i

@TorchicZK - Really likes drawing Mega man robotmaster ocs if you're into that.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/torchiczk/poison-man-mega-man-four-hounds

@Vj - This guy does a variety of music genres, ranging from 90's jungle to hip hop beats and videogame stuff.
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/969960
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/976880

@EtyZips - YOU CANNOT MAKE ART THIS GOOD AND ONLY HAVE 10 FANS. Seems like he only posts on instagram now, but the art he posted is freaking awesome look at the detail of this!!
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/etyzips/oh-living-a-fish-in-oil

@RikoriStorm - They're working on a comic about a little scorpion dude that stumbles upon an abandoned castle in the middle of the desert. The comic itself is only in Webtoons tho.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/rikoristorm/stumble-pg1

@d0munit - This guy draws a lot of robot girls, and even has a tomboy robot girl oc if you're interested.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/d0munit/fem-ale-dom

Great findings! Let's hope they heed the mentions.

coo coo bitch lmfao