00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KungFuCarafu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Underrated Artist Hangout Thread

9,021 Views | 308 Replies

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:11:11

2) What do you make?
I make mostly traditional sketches and recently got into 3D models (all my stuff is mostly mature)

ooooo nice, I'm also trying to get more into 3D modeling. How has learning 3D art been for you so far?

Every time you stop running, I'm only getting closer

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:17:08

I think this is an awesome idea to show people love whom deserve it and help people get discovered.

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:29:34

At 1/26/21 05:50 AM, MellonSnow wrote:
At 1/25/21 09:52 PM, heartcandi wrote: Hey everyone!

I'm a newer artist here and I have been roaming this website for the past few days. From being on Newgrounds for less than a week, it is pretty clear that there is so much talent sprouted around this website & it's pretty great! And I think it's really cool that @HavryloThePigeon made this thread so we can all connect & shoutout our friends here who may have gone overlooked.

For everyone on this thread, I want to ask you all a few questions: 1) Who are you? 2) What do you make? 3) What got you into art? and 4) What are some goals (big and/or small) you wish to achieve?

As for underrated artists go, I want to go ahead and shoutout @loramoth because she makes some really good art & deserves all the attention she can get :)

Again, thank you Pigeon for making this thread (and lending me a shoutout)! Can't wait to hear from you all soon
This is a really fun and great idea! Makes it more personal and we can get to know each other :D
I'll give it a go!

1) HI! I'm Sarah San and i'm an artist in the Netherlands working under the name MellonSnow!
2) Eeeehh, i mostly make illustrations in a manga-meets-european-ish drawing style (or so i've been told *sweats*) but i studied Comic Design so i really really wanna start making more comics.
3) I've just always drawn since i was little, plus i come from an art/actors family so it just came kinda natural i guess haha.
4) My goal right now is to finally start on my comic and stop being afraid of it!! ^^;

What about you @heartcandi ? Same questions to you! 8D

oop, The tables have turned. But since you asked so nicely~ I'll give it a shot!

1) Who are you?

I'm a regular digital artist that spends 90% of my time thinking of what to draw and 10% of my time actually drawing

2) What do you make?

I make a buncha fanart cause that's all I know o-o

3) What got you into art?

Like all you guys, I've been drawing ever since I was a small kid. But I guess what had me stick to it was seeing my small growth over the years and seeing what I could make in the future if I kept at it.

4) What are some goals (big and/or small) you wish to achieve?

For a big goal, It would be really cool if I could one day help out in making an animated movie. A small goal I'm working on rn is focusing on my craft & my fundamentals as an artist since I've been feeling mediocre on what I make recently.

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:32:38

2) Eeeehh, i mostly make illustrations in a manga-meets-european-ish drawing style (or so i've been told *sweats*)

Now that you've mentioned that, I can totally see it lol. Your style is really cute tho!

but i studied Comic Design so i really really wanna start making more comics.

What kind of comics would you like to create?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:34:42

At 1/26/21 12:43 PM, AshlynniisBrackets wrote: 2) What do you make?
Digital drawings, of which the contents are whatever tickles my fancy, and occasionally simple animations on YouTube if I can manage. I also write, but Newgrounds doesn't have a literature function, and my writings are... bizarre, so I just relegate them to DeviantArt.

Bizarre you say... hmmm... What kind of stuff do you write?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:37:35

At 1/26/21 03:19 PM, Rxxou wrote: 2) What do you make?
For illustrations, I mostly just draw whatever interests me that week. Other than that I'm working on 3 things:
Withering Dawn - A series of short horror stories I post whenever I come up with a new one
Rxxou - Animation I'll upload in the future
StarBorn - Webcomic I'm making in the style of a sci-fi western

You have a lot of projects you're working on! I need a work ethic like you ;-; For the Rxxou animation, what will it be about?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:40:14

At 1/26/21 03:28 PM, Kerriska wrote: 1) Dunno, will just “Kerriska” do?

2) I like making chara’s intended only for suggestive art. I also like drawing cute girls in undies/panties/lingerie, and obviously this involves the characters I make. You might call it pin-up art or something.

3) For art? I’d prefer keeping that to myself. For smut? Not many people make the kind of lewd I want, with the kind of style I like; so the saying goes “If you want something done right...”

4) Improve on my anatomy, simple as it is; also hoping to dip my feet into short animations, possibly this year. Also design 1 or 2 more character ideas.

I think it's pretty cool that you make your own character designs. Where do you find your inspiration for your charas?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:41:32

@HavryloThePigeon you're too good to us. To answer @heartcandi 's questions:

1.) I'm a french-fry middle finger man

2.) I make animations, music, illustrations and comics. I don't post my comics on here, they're on Tapas.

3.) I got into art 'cause my cousins' told 3 year old me that I sucked at drawing and I said fuck you no I don't. I strive through negative motivation.

4.) My goal is to finish a short I've been working on since 2019 this year. I've been going really hard on it and learning a lot.

Also @GenericAnime smells and shouldn't stink up the thread.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:47:13

Now for the questions:
1) I am red stickman, there is nothing else i need to explain.

fair point

Now for the questions:
1) I am red stickman, there is nothing else i need to explain.
2) i make from artiststry, to webcomics, to animations (sprite sized, trying to get out of my confort zone on it), to doom maps and mods and more possibly.

oh cool! What kind of sprites do you make?

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 21:51:36

@HavryloThePigeon you're too good to us. To answer @heartcandi 's questions:

-mouth waters profusely-

4.) My goal is to finish a short I've been working on since 2019 this year. I've been going really hard on it and learning a lot.

Nice! What is your short about (if you wish to share)? I hope all goes smoothly and you are able to share it

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 22:06:25

At 1/26/21 09:51 PM, heartcandi wrote:
-mouth waters profusely-

Nice! What is your short about (if you wish to share)? I hope all goes smoothly and you are able to share it

I'm a very happy person so it's about loss and grief. Please don't eat me.

I'll sometimes leave notes on artists that leave an impact larger than being underappreciated.

@sleeeeeenky

@GoGoJo - Good artist and character designer who really should post more.

@palmshoes

@Purple-Addict - Good with Trad Art. Lotsa purple, like the name says. Got gumption

@CoolGuyAnubis

@chinesegator

@RoomsintheWalls - S l i m y, W i t h ch o mp e rs !!

@Toonsly - Fantastic replicator of the Fleischer/Disney Rubberhose style of animation with a modern twist.

@PDDimes - Makin me gay for robots. (More than i already was)

@NeroGalvano

@sadewoo

@zoetheduck - Reminding me why I like Yakuza. Just barely skates out of the threshold.

@InkInMyFingers - Gottem to listen to music I like. They get love. :)

@JustWorkingOnIt

@Psychoinabox - Wholesome images that are better motivational posters than what corporates make.

@Garnet-Frost - Cheating a lil but I still wanna throw you love.

@Cobalt-C3rberus

@Juicedupmangoes - Unscouted, and for some ungodly reason has 90 Followers, one of which is me. Somebody scout'em for god's sake!

BBS Signature

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 22:16:25

Thanks so much for the mention! Went through a little bit of art block and demotivation the past few days, so being called "underrated" was a pretty cool pick me up lol

As for the questions, first of all I'm DozyMike. You can just call me Michael or whatever though lol. Only picked the name cuz a) I see myself as a bit of a dozy airhead and b) dozy is a fun word lol

I am a self taught traditional artist. Recently, I've been doing a lot of work with ink and making black and white pieces. I occasionally make coloured pieces using coloured pencil (will hopefully have one finished and ready to post soon lol).

I got into art somewhat recently, or at least recent in the grand scheme of things. A little over a year ago, probably a year and a half, I was in a bit of a directionless state where I didn't really know what I wanted to do with myself. I picked up art very casually just as a thing to do. I didn't take it very seriously but would doodle a bunch. I distinctly remember posting a piece online and it getting a tonne of attention, but mainly from people mocking it. Not all in a mean way, but enough to let me know that I suck and I decided that if I was gonna do art then I didn't want to suck. Went through a bunch of online courses and YouTube videos to learn fundamental stuff and have made a habit of drawing every day. I still don't think I'm great but I like to see it that I'm at least a better artist than I was yesterday and the day before. It's given me something to work on and has been a huge motivator for me to wake up in the morning lol

As for my goals, one major goal I'm working on is hopefully starting to make my own comic. Or manga, idk what exactly it would be called but what I plan is more in the typical style of manga (which is why I've been working on ink stuff mostly). No idea when I'll get it sorted, mainly just designing characters and stuff for the time being, but it gives me something to work on when I don't know what to draw for the day lol. That's the major goal but my minor goal is just to find a way to get my art noticed somewhat. I'm really bad at marketing myself and I'm mentally an old man when it comes to using social media, so I'm trying to be a bit more outgoing while I work on my art

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-26 22:42:33

At 1/26/21 09:34 PM, heartcandi wrote:
At 1/26/21 12:43 PM, AshlynniisBrackets wrote: 2) What do you make?
Digital drawings, of which the contents are whatever tickles my fancy, and occasionally simple animations on YouTube if I can manage. I also write, but Newgrounds doesn't have a literature function, and my writings are... bizarre, so I just relegate them to DeviantArt.
Bizarre you say... hmmm... What kind of stuff do you write?

I'm on DeviantArt, so... to be blunt, fetish stuff. It's not something like feet, "blueberry," or asses, I write "Transformation" things. TF as a fetish is what happens when your kid watches a little too much werewolf fiction, Ben 10, and/or whatever show uses bizarre transformations as a gag lmao. I do a lot of "body horror" transformations.

At 1/26/21 10:07 PM, DesertSage wrote: @Juicedupmangoes - Unscouted, and for some ungodly reason has 90 Followers, one of which is me. Somebody scout'em for god's sake!

I'll be the one,

I'll be the dude,

to scout this man,

and his cartoons.

Edit: oh shit, nevermind someone else was cool enough to do it already.

Look at @Chosm - his stuff on twitter, DA, and NG is all very clean traditional pencil stuff, with crosshatching and shading.

@SleepySheppy - has very nice and clean lines and colors but sometimes funky anatomy. If they jump that hurdle, though, they could end up making good stuff in the future.

[1] - [2]

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 00:50:35

At 1/26/21 09:37 PM, heartcandi wrote:
At 1/26/21 03:19 PM, Rxxou wrote: 2) What do you make?
For illustrations, I mostly just draw whatever interests me that week. Other than that I'm working on 3 things:
Withering Dawn - A series of short horror stories I post whenever I come up with a new one
Rxxou - Animation I'll upload in the future
StarBorn - Webcomic I'm making in the style of a sci-fi western
You have a lot of projects you're working on! I need a work ethic like you ;-; For the Rxxou animation, what will it be about?

Always remember to work smarter not harder, pick one thing you want to see done and work on that. DONT be a dummy and work on multiple things at a time like me. The animation will just be a short high energy comedy about a demon living on earth.

Well, this thread seems like a real treat to new artists on the site. Its good to see more effort to shout some fine folks out on NG.

I'm gonna ask that you all give @honeyvonbunny some love. They make a lot of character design pieces with some awesome use of color theory. Would definitely love to see them grow on this site as they grow their skills.

As for me, all I would ask is that you would check me out on my art thread. I tend to focus on character design / fanart with a few memes sprinkled here and there.

If you like what you see, consider giving me a follow. If you don't like what you see, let me know how you would improve my work to make it better.

Hope to see you all grow and prosper.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 04:38:23

Just wanna thank @heartcandi for putting out a nice little list of questions for everyone to answer. Looking back I should've just done that myself in the first place so I'm glad someone else decided to do it lol

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 05:14:55

I found this thread too early in the morning lol, gonna lose the whole day looking at everyone's profiles here.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 05:28:53

At 1/26/21 09:29 PM, heartcandi wrote:

I'm a newer artist here and I have been roaming this website for the past few days. From being on Newgrounds for less than a week, it is pretty clear that there is so much talent sprouted around this website & it's pretty great! And I think it's really cool that @HavryloThePigeon made this thread so we can all connect & shoutout our friends here who may have gone overlooked.

For everyone on this thread, I want to ask you all a few questions: 1) Who are you? 2) What do you make? 3) What got you into art? and 4) What are some goals (big and/or small) you wish to achieve?

As for underrated artists go, I want to go ahead and shoutout @loramoth because she makes some really good art & deserves all the attention she can get :)

Again, thank you Pigeon for making this thread (and lending me a shoutout)! Can't wait to hear from you all soon
This is a really fun and great idea! Makes it more personal and we can get to know each other :D
I'll give it a go!

1) HI! I'm Sarah San and i'm an artist in the Netherlands working under the name MellonSnow!
2) Eeeehh, i mostly make illustrations in a manga-meets-european-ish drawing style (or so i've been told *sweats*) but i studied Comic Design so i really really wanna start making more comics.
3) I've just always drawn since i was little, plus i come from an art/actors family so it just came kinda natural i guess haha.
4) My goal right now is to finally start on my comic and stop being afraid of it!! ^^;

oop, The tables have turned. But since you asked so nicely~ I'll give it a shot!

1) Who are you?
I'm a regular digital artist that spends 90% of my time thinking of what to draw and 10% of my time actually drawing

2) What do you make?

Like all you guys, I've been drawing ever since I was a small kid. But I guess what had me stick to it was seeing my small growth over the years and seeing what I could make in the future if I kept at it.

For a big goal, It would be really cool if I could one day help out in making an animated movie. A small goal I'm working on rn is focusing on my craft & my fundamentals as an artist since I've been feeling mediocre on what I make recently.

Oh man, nr 1. MOOD x'D haha

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 05:31:43

At 1/26/21 09:29 PM, heartcandi wrote:

I'll give it a go!

1) Who are you?

2) What do you make?

That's really cool! So you would like to be an animator? Or more in the sense of concept art/character art etc.?

Do you have any studio's in mind that you admire? :D

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 05:37:06

At 1/26/21 09:32 PM, heartcandi wrote:
Now that you've mentioned that, I can totally see it lol. Your style is really cute tho!

Oh dang, so it is true! haha

Thank you! I always find it hard to define my own style :P

What kind of comics would you like to create?

You mean, as in genre? I don't really think in terms of genres but often use dreams as bases for the stories i come up with, or images that come to me while daydreaming i guess.

But in general they all have fantasy or magic elements in them! I'm not as interested in everyday story plots.

God, makes me wanna start making them right now just talking about it pffhaha

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 05:40:44

At 1/26/21 09:41 PM, JustRigo wrote: @HavryloThePigeon you're too good to us. To answer @heartcandi 's questions:

2.) I make animations, music, illustrations and comics. I don't post my comics on here, they're on Tapas.

3.) I got into art 'cause my cousins' told 3 year old me that I sucked at drawing and I said fuck you no I don't. I strive through negative motivation.

Also @GenericAnime smells and shouldn't stink up the thread.

I love how your reaction to "you suck" is "NO FUCK YOU" hahaha

That's really admirable and i think it's awesome!

What's your comic on tapas called? :D

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 05:43:16

At 1/26/21 10:06 PM, JustRigo wrote:
At 1/26/21 09:51 PM, heartcandi wrote:
-mouth waters profusely-

I'm a very happy person so it's about loss and grief. Please don't eat me.

It's actually very interesting that a happy person makes very sad content and vise-versa huh!

Comedians, comedy comic writes etc. can often be very depressed/sad people in their personal lives.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 06:19:13

What's up! I wasn't tagged by anyone but I'm very new to the Newgrounds community despite browsing the site for about 15 years. Might as well plug my stuff here and answer those thread questions!

1) Who are you?

I go by Dupe, I'm obsessed with science fiction media, red/blue color coding and 90s nostalgia. I've watched The Matrix way too many times and I'm storing my last will and testate in the expansion bay of my PS2.

2) What do you make?

I use my interests stated above to mostly make crazy retrofuturistic sci fi art! I'm currently developing a webcomic that will be launching very soon. Here's some examples of characters and environments from it.

iu_231698_5628997.jpg

iu_231697_5628997.jpg

Video games and boredom mostly. I liked the idea of creating new realities once getting bored of the one we're stuck in.

My current goal is to launch my webcomic within the next month or two. It's something I've been working towards for years so I'm pretty hyped about it.

I appreciate this thread giving me the opportunity to introduce me and my stuff, thanks!

At 1/26/21 10:07 PM, DesertSage wrote: I'll sometimes leave notes on artists that leave an impact larger than being underappreciated.

@sleeeeeenky
@GoGoJo - Good artist and character designer who really should post more.
@palmshoes
@Purple-Addict - Good with Trad Art. Lotsa purple, like the name says. Got gumption
@CoolGuyAnubis
@chinesegator
@RoomsintheWalls - S l i m y, W i t h ch o mp e rs !!
@Toonsly - Fantastic replicator of the Fleischer/Disney Rubberhose style of animation with a modern twist.
@PDDimes - Makin me gay for robots. (More than i already was)
@NeroGalvano
@sadewoo
@zoetheduck - Reminding me why I like Yakuza. Just barely skates out of the threshold.
@InkInMyFingers - Gottem to listen to music I like. They get love. :)
@JustWorkingOnIt
@Psychoinabox - Wholesome images that are better motivational posters than what corporates make.
@Garnet-Frost - Cheating a lil but I still wanna throw you love.
@Cobalt-C3rberus
@Juicedupmangoes - Unscouted, and for some ungodly reason has 90 Followers, one of which is me. Somebody scout'em for god's sake!

many many many thanks for including me, it's super sweet to see my name in there!! i'll be sure to have a peek at everyone else in the list - this stuff brings me joy!!

since i'm here i figured i'd take a shot at the questions everyone seems to be answering, because i've been looking for a way to engage more with the community side of NG (and also a way to get me more motivated to draw!!)

but first, i'd like to recommend some artists i think need more love!

@zxc6713 - really cool character designs!!

@Ronan10G8 - great style, colours and expressions!!

@pompeyraptor - absolutely adorable characters!!

and i'd be remiss if i didn't put @kiotoonyando on this list, since his fox sticker has adorned the back of my phone for ages now!!

so uh, who am i?

i go by sleeeeeenky, or slinky if that works better, and i'm a funny little game developer from new zealand!! i do art just because designing & drawing cool fellas makes me really happy.

what do i make?

my main shtick is making games, as i'm currently a game dev student, so most of my art is all character-y stuff. lots of angsty looking dudes with various weapons!! lots of big circle heads and squinty eyes and big teeth and stupid ears looking all angsty!! but in a real colourful way, since i really defined my style using only the brush tool in adobe illustrator. me likey crisp lines and bright colours. i also play the drums in a funny little band, so i guess that's creative output as well.

what got you into art?

i was always doodling as a kid, but my art really kicked into full swing when i wanted to impress my new uni classmates a couple years back. as of late, though, i've wanted to get away from just trying to impress my friends, so i post all my art exclusively on NG, where none of my friends know it is.......

what are some goals you wanna achieve?

i'd like to be frontpaged someday, that'd be cool, and i'd like to be able to start my own indie game studio after uni, if all goes well.

that's me!! thanks so much for the mention, @DesertSage, and thanks to everyone else here for making this a thing! it's super cool.

get lost friend

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 10:49:53

At 1/26/21 09:40 PM, heartcandi wrote: I think it's pretty cool that you make your own character designs. Where do you find your inspiration for your charas?

A lot of it is archetypes & anthro. Bugs, ragdolls, jellyfish, plants, etc. I kinda do it on a whim.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 10:52:48

At 1/27/21 05:14 AM, Urichov wrote: I found this thread too early in the morning lol, gonna lose the whole day looking at everyone's profiles here.

It’s your homework.

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 11:42:09

At 1/27/21 06:19 AM, Duplexide wrote: What's up! I wasn't tagged by anyone but I'm very new to the Newgrounds community despite browsing the site for about 15 years. Might as well plug my stuff here and answer those thread questions!

1) Who are you?
I go by Dupe, I'm obsessed with science fiction media, red/blue color coding and 90s nostalgia. I've watched The Matrix way too many times and I'm storing my last will and testate in the expansion bay of my PS2.

2) What do you make?
I use my interests stated above to mostly make crazy retrofuturistic sci fi art! I'm currently developing a webcomic that will be launching very soon. Here's some examples of characters and environments from it.

Video games and boredom mostly. I liked the idea of creating new realities once getting bored of the one we're stuck in.

My current goal is to launch my webcomic within the next month or two. It's something I've been working towards for years so I'm pretty hyped about it.

I appreciate this thread giving me the opportunity to introduce me and my stuff, thanks!

That looks fucking awesome! You should post the link to your comic here in this thread once it's out ;)

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to Underrated Artist Hangout Thread 2021-01-27 13:43:32

At 1/25/21 08:55 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote: Newgrounds is truly a place where artists from all walks of life can come onstage and make it big without being screwed over by algorithms and censorship and the like. Despite this there are still many artists on this site who put out great content and still don't get the recognition they deserve. And as a consequence of being underrated, it can be difficult to connect with other artists in a similar situation. Which sucks, because connecting with those who are also just trying to make it like you are, is a great opportunity to learn and grow with each other and learn what it takes to make something of yourself out in the vast, vast, cutthroat world of art.

So here is this thread to come and save the day! Maybe. Not sure whether this'll actually develop into anything or not, but I feel it's most certainly worth a shot, especially since I haven't seen anything like this in the BBS before.

If you're an artist who makes great art and you feel you have an unacceptably low follower count - or whatever the case may be - consider this thread your new home! If you want to interact with your fellow underrated artists about your crafts, your work ethics, why you create the art you create, your future plans for where to take your art, career choices, hobbies and other non-art-related things, whatever ends up happening! Let's try to make this a friendly chill zone where everyone is welcome.

I'll kickstart this thing off by pinging a whole bunch of artists that I personally consider underrated in hopes that they will heed the signal and flock on over! Feel free to ping artists you consider underrated yourself! I'd recommend not pinging anyone with more than 50-60 followers, but obviously this is just a general guideline. I'm also well aware I'm pretty much only pinging those who are primarily active in the Art and Movies Portals because that's just where my expertise is, but underrated game devs and musicians are most certainly welcome here too!

Anyways, let's get this thing going hopefully.

@AdepthZone
@AshlynniisBrackets
@asemsera
@Blankyboi19
@Citrine106
@Cowzey
@cribble
@DozyMike
@DSixZey
@dunkleshreken
@ElemenopeeN
@FoofooCuddlypoop
@GenericAnime
@Gvilyam
@headstove
@heartcandi
@Holokin
@IquooArt
@JackyCoco
@JavaJake
@JustRigo
@Kerriska
@MagnificentArsehole
@MatthewLemons
@MellonSnow
@NeoBlueRose
@OniDraws
@Pancaketophat
@PowPink
@projectanything (creators of @XRL-7)
@Ribbon-Dove
@rivux
@Rxxou
@semicabbage
@Spazdables
@Sulaimandoodle
@sumawesum
@TechnicalBliss
@TENGUSE
@WhiteHorseAnimations

I seen these artists before. Though not underrated, but pretty much niche.

Join The Rat Cult and grasp firmly.