00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4ng3lzh4untm3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The NG Clash of Avatars

6,253 Views | 267 Replies

The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-25 09:14:12

Yeah, this is basically the second coming of my User Icon Battle thread. Am not proud of some of the things that went down on the original thread but I've since moved on, not gonna let that stuff define me. The thread was a great idea in paper, but bad in execution. I seek to change that with this thread. Not calling this a sequel to it as it's more of a reinvention. Among other things, unlike the original this is not going to be an annual thread but a single, continuous one.

So first things first, here are the rules. It's in a news post instead of on here as you can't edit BBS posts as much as you want and it's important to have the rules be updated whenever there's a problem, so yeah. We want a thread that gets more streamlined as time goes on. There's more rules than there were way back then but that's a consequence of making sure things are done right.

As for the avatars, that's actually much less restrictive than before. Unlike the original User Icon Battle in which you had to use your current Newgrounds avatar, this time you can use any avatar you've ever used from any of the sites you've been to. Does that make it no longer Newgrounds-themed? Nope, still is as we're involving the Newgrounds community.

For the first game, since we're starting out, I think 16 spaces should be enough.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-25 09:54:01

Ok im in.

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-25 12:09:53

I don't have many avatars to show for on Newgrounds, but TV tropes is a different story as they actually let you have avatar galleries. Here's mine. Yeah, 34 pages of avatars is big, but surprisingly not the biggest on TV Tropes as I've seen someone with at least 200 pages.

I'll think I'll use Freddy Krueger this time, he seems to be a good entry-level villain for this kind of thing. Not too OP but not too weak, just the right level of threatening.

Might as well put some music on to set the tone. As I'm sure there's gonna be a mixture of heroes, villains, and those in-between, this theme from Darkest Dungeon seems to fit nicely.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-25 12:30:37

Welp time to throw my hat in the ring. Imma use my discord pic

. iu_172324_1671795.png

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-25 14:19:48

Should mention that I'm actually holding off on posting the bracket chart that'll show our positions/progress until after 16 people apply.

Mainly because I have yet to make it, but at least something like that is easy to make

This way, you'll be able to choose your opponents for the first round (and those beyond should you win those fights).

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-25 17:55:57

Piconjo wishes to join.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-26 12:18:32

Been years since I actually looked back on the original thread past the first post, so just did that to see how the original flowchart filled up since I'm making the new one at this moment. Ugh, it filled up by page 5 but within those 5 pages are just things I completely forgot about which I'm not proud of. Was an interesting time capsule of sorts as it had the old names of users who are still around before they changed their usernames.

One thing I learned from my hiatus is the importance of making threads like this accessible and work-safe. Even 5 pages in the original thread, I can tell that it's neither. After all, showing dicks even if they're drawn isn't work-safe. I know that Newgrounds is known for its dick jokes, but I doubt anyone here would want to actually get someone in trouble at work. Sure, the thread wouldn't be entirely work-safe regardless if we're going to describe/show things like blood and gore, but still would be less awkward to explain that away at work than if a dick showed up.

Anyways, the new flowchart will show not only our usernames, but a profile pic of the avatar you've chosen and their name. As such even with less spots than the old flowchart it's still gonna be a bigger picture.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-26 13:45:14

At 9/26/20 01:19 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote:
At 9/26/20 12:18 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Been years since I actually looked back on the original thread past the first post, so just did that to see how the original flowchart filled up since I'm making the new one at this moment. Ugh, it filled up by page 5 but within those 5 pages are just things I completely forgot about which I'm not proud of. Was an interesting time capsule of sorts as it had the old names of users who are still around before they changed their usernames.

One thing I learned from my hiatus is the importance of making threads like this accessible and work-safe. Even 5 pages in the original thread, I can tell that it's neither. After all, showing dicks even if they're drawn isn't work-safe. I know that Newgrounds is known for its dick jokes, but I doubt anyone here would want to actually get someone in trouble at work. Sure, the thread wouldn't be entirely work-safe regardless if we're going to describe/show things like blood and gore, but still would be less awkward to explain that away at work than if a dick showed up.

Anyways, the new flowchart will show not only our usernames, but a profile pic of the avatar you've chosen and their name. As such even with less spots than the old flowchart it's still gonna be a bigger picture.
Cool and good. I would like to keep this thread sfw for all our boyz.
Hey gamechanger, can we switch what avatars we use in between fights?

Good question. Well as the original game didn't do that, I would like that to be the case here as well, at least for the first game. I guess changing avatars should be more of a situational thing, such as when it's obvious the avatars for an upcoming match would be a curb-stomp battle and you want a fight on more even ground.

Really hard to say which is the better path at this point as we're so early in the thread, so for the time being trail and error may be the best strategy to see what works until we get to a point that we're experienced enough with the thread to know how to run things around here.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-26 16:01:32 (edited 2020-09-26 16:08:58)

Ok, might as well post a sample of the new flowchart I'm working on and explain it. This is merely a rough draft, it'll be much more polished in the final picture. The big square is where the profile pic of the avatar will be. The avatar's name will be above that of the user's name, with said avatar's name being in a bigger font size than the user's as the avatars are the ones doing the fighting, not us as we're like a sponsor of sorts. The rank is whether one is in 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, etc. Course that means everyone's going to be at 1st place in the beginning. The status is whether the avatar is alive, dead, or merely defeated.

iu_172801_5009006.png

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-27 04:56:24

I can't find it, and I think I was banned from the forum, but when I was like 10 I was on a forum and my avatar was a Mega Man, but with gold armor. I think it was like a SNES/PS1 era Mega Man.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-27 05:14:07

Gonna go with my current Discord profile, as a laugh:

iu_173046_4374220.png

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-28 14:49:21

Didn't do much progress on the flowchart as I'd like as things have been busy this weekend for me, had to do chores to get things ready for my room to be painted, which is finally getting painted right now.

Anyways for the flowchart, last time I asked the participants what color they wanted their victory path to be. This time, I'm thinking of just having the color be dependent on which avatar they're playing as. As for battle zones (aka the places where the avatars fight), unlike last time I'm thinking of letting the RNG pick 'em as I figured the mystery aspect of that would make things more fun.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-28 19:18:45

I'm still stuck deciding between jet jaguar who even though he can grow bigger,I would have to let him grow to only that of The Hulk,maybe a tiny bit bigger?Or HIM.

iu_173571_8092414.jpg

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-28 19:20:20

At 9/28/20 07:18 PM, J3tjaguar wrote: This is my first time joining one of these,though I'm still stuck deciding between jet jaguar who even though he can grow bigger,I would have to let him grow to only that of The Hulk,maybe a tiny bit bigger?Or HIM.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-28 19:57:39

And now we have exactly half the roster filled up if I'm counting correctly.

At 9/25/20 12:30 PM, All-American-Badass wrote: Welp time to throw my hat in the ring. Imma use my discord pic

Might want to fix that as it seems to be a broken pic now on my end at least.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-28 19:59:19

I'm even considering Trogdor The Burninator iu_173593_8092414.png

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-29 04:06:43

At 9/28/20 07:59 PM, J3tjaguar wrote: I'm even considering Trogdor The Burninator

Scratch that,this is me flying into the competition with my character.iu_173714_8092414.gif

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-29 10:30:26

At 9/28/20 07:57 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: And now we have exactly half the roster filled up if I'm counting correctly.

At 9/25/20 12:30 PM, All-American-Badass wrote: Welp time to throw my hat in the ring. Imma use my discord pic
Might want to fix that as it seems to be a broken pic now on my end at least.

Da fuck. it posted fine when I sent that. but alright I'll post it again.

iu_173785_1671795.jpg

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-29 16:27:27

Might as well say Freddy Krueger's strength and weaknesses... not that our avatars will actually know about their strengths and weaknesses beforehand.

Learning about him should be easy enough as his films are far from obscure.

Let's see, he doesn't have dream powers in the real world naturally but still not someone you want to underestimate. If someone's a lucid dreamer they can stand a chance against his dream powers. And he essentially has immortality as the dream demons that gave him his powers made a deal with him in which if he ever "dies" he'll just come back eventually.

Not going to use this feat for balance reasons (plus I haven't read it), but in the comic Freddy vs Jason vs Ash (the sequel to Freddy vs Jason), Freddy managed to read the Necronomicon from Evil Dead and gain power from it, becoming a world threat as a result.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-09-29 20:39:45

At 9/29/20 08:24 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote:
At 9/29/20 04:27 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Might as well say Freddy Krueger's strength and weaknesses... not that our avatars will actually know about their strengths and weaknesses beforehand.

Learning about him should be easy enough as his films are far from obscure.

Let's see, he doesn't have dream powers in the real world naturally but still not someone you want to underestimate. If someone's a lucid dreamer they can stand a chance against his dream powers. And he essentially has immortality as the dream demons that gave him his powers made a deal with him in which if he ever "dies" he'll just come back eventually.

Not going to use this feat for balance reasons (plus I haven't read it), but in the comic Freddy vs Jason vs Ash (the sequel to Freddy vs Jason), Freddy managed to read the Necronomicon from Evil Dead and gain power from it, becoming a world threat as a result.
He sounds like a fair fight for caleb.

Since he's one of the most famous slasher villains, might as well show his kills to get a better idea of how he works. Naturally, this is movie spoiler territory so don't watch if you haven't seen the films. Also one of those age-restricted videos in which you'd have to sign in to confirm your age.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-01 13:03:27

At 10/1/20 12:00 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote: I wont let this thread die. Come on!

Yeah, still working on the flowchart (to be fair things have been a little crazy for me this week).

Maybe to help keep this thread active, we can suggest ideas or something, such as new battle zones. Heck, I should probably showcase zones that haven't been used yet or ones that are making their debut to keep things fresh. Been years since I last made a brand-new battle zone (that's not a suggestion), as the majority of the ones on the battle zone page were made by my inexperienced self when I still full of hype for the original thread.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-01 13:44:23

At 10/1/20 01:32 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote:
At 10/1/20 01:03 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Yeah, still working on the flowchart (to be fair things have been a little crazy for me this week).

Maybe to help keep this thread active, we can suggest ideas or something, such as new battle zones. Heck, I should probably showcase zones that haven't been used yet or ones that are making their debut to keep things fresh. Been years since I last made a brand-new battle zone (that's not a suggestion), as the majority of the ones on the battle zone page were made by my inexperienced self when I still full of hype for the original thread.
A space hulk battlezone perhaps? Nice n dangerous, Things could pop out at you at any time.

Also, now that I think about it, should probably use battle zones that'll have the fighters be at their best. Don't want a battle zone in which one fighter would very easily defeat the other as a result of just being in said battle zone. For example, a being whose shtick is being on fire all the time finds himself in a place completely underwater.

Not that we can't do the occasional battle zone that'll put both fighters at an equal disadvantage for the pure fun and/or hilarity of it...

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-01 13:59:05

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have an idea for a brand-new battle zone, but it's best I keep my lid shut on what that is until it's time for the Clash of Avatars to begin. As for one I'm willing to talk about...

While I do have a Newgrounds battle zone in which you can fight at any of the Newgrounds settings such as Madness, I do not have a battle zone that just takes place at a school in spite of having a variety of locations as battle zones. Whatever this new battle zone ends up as, I'd want it to be in good taste as schools had it rough in recent years.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-03 20:24:00

How about Strongbadia?iu_175661_8092414.jpg

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-03 20:46:23

At 10/3/20 08:24 PM, J3tjaguar wrote:

How about Strongbadia?

Sure. Wonder if enough property damage is done either accidentally or purposefully Strongbad himself would intervene and fight both avatars.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-04 01:04:33 (edited 2020-10-04 01:17:09)

And now have an idea for another new battle zone.

I'll give you a hint: Secure. Contain. Protect.

Considering what's stored there, this can easily backfire on our avatars regardless of their power

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-04 20:07:50

At 10/4/20 01:04 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: And now have an idea for another new battle zone.

Considering what's stored there, this can easily backfire on our avatars regardless of their power

Are we gonna get our necks snapped by the peanut man?

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-04 20:18:25

At 10/4/20 08:07 PM, J3tjaguar wrote:
At 10/4/20 01:04 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: And now have an idea for another new battle zone.

Are we gonna get our necks snapped by the peanut man?

That's one possibility, as involving all the SCPs would be futile as there's thousands of them. May just pick a few at random using the RNG and have 1 to 3 of the more well-known ones be involved, like SCP-682 for example.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-04 23:18:40

Just thought of a new battle zone that I don't feel guilty telling you about (i.e. spoiling you) due to how situational it is.

Namely, our avatars literally fight on the Newgrounds website, taking a page out of Animator vs Animation and screwing around with the site's text and features. (linking to Alan Becker's YouTube channel as there's more Animator vs Animations stuff there than Newgrounds) Heck, said avatars could even stumble upon the BBS and fight int he various threads, maybe even this one!

As for why it's situational, it'll be best to use this battle zone when both users are good with programs like Photoshop. Doesn't quite work if you tried to just use something like MS Paint.

Response to The NG Clash of Avatars 2020-10-05 05:45:07

At 9/29/20 04:08 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote:
At 9/25/20 09:14 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: Yeah, this is basically the second coming of my User Icon Battle thread. Am not proud of some of the things that went down on the original thread but I've since moved on, not gonna let that stuff define me. The thread was a great idea in paper, but bad in execution. I seek to change that with this thread. Not calling this a sequel to it as it's more of a reinvention. Among other things, unlike the original this is not going to be an annual thread but a single, continuous one.

So first things first, here are the rules. It's in a news post instead of on here as you can't edit BBS posts as much as you want and it's important to have the rules be updated whenever there's a problem, so yeah. We want a thread that gets more streamlined as time goes on. There's more rules than there were way back then but that's a consequence of making sure things are done right.

As for the avatars, that's actually much less restrictive than before. Unlike the original User Icon Battle in which you had to use your current Newgrounds avatar, this time you can use any avatar you've ever used from any of the sites you've been to. Does that make it no longer Newgrounds-themed? Nope, still is as we're involving the Newgrounds community.

For the first game, since we're starting out, I think 16 spaces should be enough.
I think i should list caleb's powers/abilities/wargear So people not familiar with him can know what to expect.

Caleb, 17th incarnation of the one that binds, (Tchernobog)

name: caleb

year of birth: 1847

species: Human (revenant)

age: over 100 years, lifespan increased due to undead status, and the power of the one that binds.

Skills: street smart, proficient with all types of weapons, the occult, parkour, survival, hand to hand combat, Control of pocket dimensions and the opening of portals.

Strengths: He is powered by his thirst for vengeance against the cabal, He can theoretically live forever and recover from any injury in incredibly short periods of time. Regenerative powers are such that gunshots are of no concern unless the fire is sustained and high-caliber His control of the doors between the worlds allow for teleportation of himself or others.
Also he has control over the creation and destruction of pocket dimensions and can transport himself or others to and from these pocket dimensions.

Wargear:
a flare pistol, two double-barreled shotguns, thompson submachine guns, napalm launcher, tesla gun, voodoo doll, cabalco deathray, dynamite time bombs, revolvers, other wargear.

Weaknesses
stubborn, foul mouth, jaded,

nazdreg ud urdgrub, Bad moons warlord

species: ork

skills: "taktiks", crack shot, bargaining, superior deductive reasoning (for an ork, but still better than 60% of humans),
operation of ork devices, starship pilot, Leadership,

Strengths: He is exceptionally mentally capable when compared to many humans and orks, he also has a affinity for ranged combat, but that does not mean that the power klaw on his left arm is just for show.

Wargear. Kustom blast-x shoota, Tellyport homer (Deep strike orks from his capital ship the scyllia.) Mega armour with built in medical syatems and targeting arrays, Power klaw of mork, Iron gob (Fer chompin down on da humies wiv.) Red painted legs (Fer goin fasta wiv.)

Weaknesses:
Too much money, Overweight (When yoo gotz da teef yoo gotz food), Less reliant on strength than other orks.

Are things like this required?Either way I'm fine with it.