After six long years, the Newgrounds Voice Acting Contest (VAC) has returned! Eleven previous contests by the same name ran between 2009-2013 led by @FatKidWitAJetPak (VAC 01-06) and @JaShinYa (VAC 07-11), and you can find links to each at the bottom of this post. I've chosen to maintain the most of the rules as they were written, and I have updated some of them for clarity.
If you're a voice acting vet, this is a good way to sharpen your skills. If you're new to voice acting, this is a great venue to showcase what you have, get some feedback from the community and for everyone it's an awesome fun time! If you're joining in, read the rules and info below and get in front of your mic! Otherwise, please show some support to your fellow Newgrounders by listening, rating, and reviewing!
THEME: "A fool and his money are soon parted" (taxes, getting ripped off; however you choose to interpret).
WHY: April 15 is the US tax deadline.
By the way, if you haven't filed your taxes yet, you might want to get on that.
1st Place - ACID Pro 7 ($149 USD value) + Front Page + 1 Month of Supporter!
2nd Place - Acoustica Mixcraft Recording Studio 8 ($89.00 USD value) + Front Page + 1 Month of Supporter!
3rd Place - Sound Forge Audio Studio 12 ($59.99 USD value) + Front Page + 1 Month of Supporter!
4-10th Place - 1 Month of Supporter
Yes, you read that right! Everyone in the top 10 get supporter status! Thanks @TomFulp for enabling this.
The software prizes are out of pocket for me so I had to limit the fancy prize pool to top three. Future iterations may have a smaller prize value but larger number of prizes. If you would like to donate a prize to future contests, please message me. Software will be awarded by redemption key.
Contest Rules (PLEASE READ):
- Each entry needs to be a minimum of 2 minutes long and a maximum of 6 minutes long.
- Each entry must fit the theme! Open your mind and think out of the box! Be creative! (It counts towards your score)
- Each entry must have at least 3 different voices.
- Each entry must be submitted by April 15th, 11:59PM EDT
- Each entry can be any kind of genre (comedy, drama, etc...).
- No one may help you with your entry. You must do everything by yourself.
- All sound effects and music must be royalty free. No copyright material is allowed. The Audio Portal has a ton of Creative Commons music, but please respect the artist's use criteria.
- All entries must be submitted to the NG audio portal. If you are unscouted, this is a good chance to show your skills and maybe get a scout invite.
- If you are banned from the audio portal, you may not participate. Using an alt to submit while your main is banned is alt evasion. I don't see this being an issue.
- You may use effects such as echo, robot, phone filter, etc... however, manipulating your pitch using your recording software is NOT allowed.
- Although only one submission per person is allowed, you may go back and edit the original entry as long as it happens before the deadline.
- Disobeying any rules will result in disqualification. NOTE: You will lose 1 point from your total score for going under or over the time limit up in increments of 15 seconds. Submissions under 1 minute or over 7 minutes in length will be disqualified for not meeting length criteria.
- Using the tag "VAC12" on your submission is encouraged, but not mandatory
How To Submit:
- All submissions MUST be submitted to the audio portal. No off-site links.
- Once you have submitted the piece to the audio portal, copy the link and paste it into this thread. Once I see it, I will add it to the list.
- Please keep it between 2 and 6 minutes otherwise you will lose precious points!
The Judging Process:
Each entry will be judged per category. Each category has its own point value. The total points will equal 150. After all points are added up, the more points you have, the higher place you will receive. I intend to have the judging process complete by 20 April so we can get people on the Front Page before Pico Day arrives in May. Thank you to @NekoMika and @Jackho for helping me with judging. I do have space for two more judges if anyone is interested.
Marking criteria (judges have interpretive leeway):
Acting (50 points) - The most important of all, your ACTING! Your voice acting needs to sound like the character is actually in his or her situation. Try not to be monotone and dull.
Range (25 points) - How much each character varies from the others
Fit (25 points) - How well each voice fits the character. *An old man would have a raspy voice and a big guy would have a deep voice, etc...* (Obviously, consideration is taken if the voice is done differently for comedic value. Example: Old woman who smokes may sound like the fat guy from Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
Mixing/Sound quality (20 points)- Not everyone is able to afford a good microphone, but please try to make your final production as high quality as possible! If your voice is fuzzy and full of static , the judges can't judge your voice as well. This also includes how you mix together your SFX and music.
Originality (15 points) - How original your skit was. Be creative!
Writing (15 points) - It's all good if you have great voice acting, but let's try and have your skit make sense! This doesn't mean you have to be another Hemingway, but there should be some sort of structure to your skit. Also, if your skit does not fit the theme well, points will be taken from this category.
For a crash course in improving your audio recording quality, see this submission by @RicePirate:
VO Home Studio : Spaceby RicePirateHow to Make a Home Recording Studio like you Robbed an Airport Baggage Claim
Again the DEADLINE is: April 15th 11:59pm EDT!
Feel free to discuss the contest in this thread. This contest is about bringing the voice acting community together! If you're a beginner, throw in a submission anyway! It's a good way to build your portfolio, get your name out there, and to connect with others in the voice acting community... Besides, you never know what the outcome might be! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or ask in this thread. I'll keep you all updated with any changes and progress with judging.
You are also welcome to join the NG Voice Acting Contest Discord (https://discord.gg/jXgwtNQ), although it is not mandatory for participation.
VAC 01 (Feb/09) - THEME: "And that's why I don't have my homework"
VAC 02 (Mar/09) - THEME: "Explosion!"
VAC 03 (Jun/09) - THEME: "Disorder/Turtles"
VAC 04 (Aug/09) - THEME: "Muffins!"
VAC 05 (Dec/09) - THEME: "Millionaire/Addiction"
VAC 06 (Dec/10) - THEME: Winter
VAC 07 (Sep/11) - THEME: The Apocalypse
VAC 08 (Feb/12) - THEME: Super Heroes
VAC 09 (Sep/12) - THEME: Horrible Jobs
VAC 10 (Mar/13) - THEME: A Night to Remember
VAC 11 (Oct/13) - THEME: My First...
Audio Portal & BBS Moderator. Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.