00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice Acting Contest -1-

18,031 Views | 168 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 09:01:42

After I got some advice from Ruckio, the audio mod DUM DUM DUM, I decided to try to start out a monthly VOICE ACTING contest. This contest is similiar to the MAC, which started the same way this one is. If the first contest goes well, then I will contact Tom and ask for NG to sponsor the contest so we can have prizes such as store credit and money.

In each of these VA contests, I will give you different types of challenges. *1 challenge each contest* For this challenge, I will give you a starter line to voice act your own story, starting with the line I gave you or ending with it. I will also throw in different twists and turns in future contests like, "only use a mouse voice," or, "throw in at least 6 sound effect," E.T.C.

___RULES FOR THIS CONTEST___

Use this line at the end or beginning of a story that you make up.

"And thats why I dont have my homework"

To strengthen your chances of winning, use a good quality mic, put in multiple voices OF YOUR OWN, and make your story creative. Judges will be me and whoever else would like to be a judge. If you would like to be a judge for this first voice acting contest, please contact me on NG.

__The following is NOT allowed___
Voice enahncer programs such as robot, mouse, e.t.c. You may use a quality enhancer program or a simple Male, Female voice enhancer since that only shortens white noise and does not alter your voice. It is obvious when a voice enhancer is used and if I catch one in your song ill remove you from the contest.

Only you may voice act. Do not get any help from other voice actors.

Use your own original story. If you can not think of anything, then you may voice act another story here on NG, but your chances of winning will be shortened... unless it is really good voice acting since the contest is about the voice and not the story.

So just to clear things up, there are no prizes currently since this is the first Voice Acting contest and I am just a poor boy who lives in a cardboard box so I can not pay you with my own money. remember, the contest is to voice act a story with multiple charecters using the line below in the begginning or ending of your story.

"And that's why I didn't do my homework"

I will be participating in this contest BTW but will not be elgible to win since I am a judge lol. :3 I hope this contest goes somewhere! If it does, Tom should sponsor this and offer store credit for 1st through 3rd place. GOOD LUCK! And let the microphone be with you.

Wow that last line was really gay.

P.S. if you would like to offer prizes for this contest, then feel free to do so! Contact me on NG.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 14:24:31

*Bumped so that it doesn't get lost in the hinterlands of the audio forum

I think this would be a great idea, but somehow you have to spread the word about this contest. Send a few PMs to voice actors linking to this thread. Make it clear that the purpose of this is to establish later contests sponsored by NG. Even a few participants would be helpful.

It will be a shame if this isn't successful though.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 15:00:33

You made a lil' mistake in your post. Which line should be used?
or
"And that's why I didn't do my homework" ?

Thanks.

PS: I won't participate, I'm saying this so you can fix it and other people will understand.

PS2: Ha it's Rucklo not Ruckio.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 17:06:44

I'm in. Just reserving my spot.

moozik is fuhn ye.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 17:19:25

POST YOUR FINISHED VOICE ACTING COMPOSITIONS IN THE AUDIO PORTAL AND THEN POST A LINK HERE

MAXIMUM OF ONE ENTRY

I forgot to mention those two very important rules.

BLASPHEMY.

At 2/5/09 05:06 PM, DanMasterFlash wrote: I'm in. Just reserving my spot.

Welcome to the contest.

At 2/5/09 03:00 PM, Ismael92 wrote: You made a lil' mistake in your post. Which line should be used?
or
"And that's why I didn't do my homework" ?

Thanks.

PS: I won't participate, I'm saying this so you can fix it and other people will understand.
PS2: Ha it's Rucklo not Ruckio.

Ah sorry about that. PEOPLE CAN USE EITHER ONE. Both mean the same anyway lol. And Ruckio with and I or Rucklo with an L?

At 2/5/09 02:24 PM, blackattackbitch wrote: *Bumped so that it doesn't get lost in the hinterlands of the audio forum

I think this would be a great idea, but somehow you have to spread the word about this contest. Send a : : : few PMs to voice actors linking to this thread.

Good idea. I will make sure to contact as many voice actors as I can to get more participants. Thanks.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 17:37:53

I think I'll do this. Sounds good.

Animator / Voice Actor

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 17:47:34

Sounds good to me, count me in! What's the deadline for each contest, keeping in mind the clearance period required for audio submissions?

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 17:47:58

Can I be a judge?

Josh Tomar - Voice Actor

Demo: http://www.joshtomar.com

Work Samples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMXFahHSY3M

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 17:53:05

I like voice acting and I like contests.

also, dicks.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 18:08:07

At 2/5/09 05:47 PM, Blackharrier32 wrote: Sounds good to me, count me in! What's the deadline for each contest, keeping in mind the clearance period required for audio submissions?

Well, since I never knew if this was going to make it through, I never posted a deadline. I needed to know how many people were entering first.

I need to wait for a little bit before I post the final deadline... but right now I'm thinking the 5th of March.

At 2/5/09 05:47 PM, TomaMoto wrote: Can I be a judge?

HELL YES YOU CAN. I already know about you and you are an experienced one... but please, if you ask to be a judge say WHY so I can know if you have experience or not and are mature enough to be one.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 18:11:00

I guess i'll be awesome, and a great experience for flash artists that are looking for voice actors!

LET TOMAMOTO BE A JUDGE!!!!!

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 18:28:20

Hell, I'm in. This could be a great way to get talent out there that has been previously undiscovered.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 19:18:17

At 2/5/09 06:28 PM, LegendaryPope wrote: Hell, I'm in. This could be a great way to get talent out there that has been previously undiscovered.

Isn't it the same for all contests?

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 20:25:20

Any advice on buying a mic?

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 21:54:29

Can I join?

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 22:00:13

At 2/5/09 08:25 PM, omegared wrote: Any advice on buying a mic?

One of these.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 22:27:46

At 2/5/09 07:58 PM, Calicard wrote: Ummm....

For reasons I do not know I was banned from the audio portal...

How will I submit things?

And how can I get un-banned?

Make another account, submit using that one. Don't use it for forum posts with the exception of this contest, posting using alt accounts is against the rules, last time I checked.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 22:48:08

At 2/5/09 07:58 PM, Calicard wrote: Ummm....

For reasons I do not know I was banned from the audio portal...

How will I submit things?

And how can I get un-banned?

Hmm... if you were banned and you swear it was a mis-understanding, then send a PM to

http://darkside555.newgrounds.com/
http://bad-man-incorporated.newgrounds.c om/
http://ragevi.newgrounds.com/
http://rig.newgrounds.com/
http://rucklo.newgrounds.com/
or
http://sbb.newgrounds.com/

these guys are audio moderators and will most likely respond to your questions in the best way they can. If you still can not submit things to the audio portal, send you .MP3 to me and I will judge it myself. Don't risk making an alt account because if Wade finds out he will send a hellish army of PERMANENT BAN up your ass... and there is nothing worse than that.

At 2/5/09 08:25 PM, omegared wrote: Any advice on buying a mic?

Well if you want a good cheap mic... then go to google and type in PODCASTING MICs. Some really nice ones should pop up. Some are really expensive but some really nice ones are under 250$. If you dont want to buy a mic, go to your school and ask the media if they have a mic you can borrow for a little while. Or, just look for a MAC LEOPARD computer and record it there using Garageband.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 22:50:06

At 2/5/09 09:54 PM, Terrag wrote: Can I join?

ANYONE CAN JOIN

The only thing I request is that people dont ask it anymore cause it fills up the forum with unnecessary posts... Im not a Mod though so dont listen to me lol.

YET

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 22:59:03

Sounds like fun! I'd love to enter. When I make my file, where do i send it?

Do you want a script? Should I improv? Do you just want me to have a voice chat and I audit my stuff?
-Stan

~Stan~

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-05 23:11:59

At 2/5/09 10:59 PM, slingshot24 wrote: Sounds like fun! I'd love to enter. When I make my file, where do i send it?

Do you want a script? Should I improv? Do you just want me to have a voice chat and I audit my stuff?
-Stan

Put it on NG and put the link to your song in this thread, depends on how bad or good you are, no, elephants.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 00:02:44

Well, I guess this is my first post here in the boards... at all, however, I saw this thread, and knew I had to post in it. I've always been interested in doing something along these lines, and I wished to participate. I have not done any voice acting before, but was one of the finalists back several years ago when they were trying to replace the Black Mage's voice in the official 8-bit theater flashes.

Last I checked, the deadline was aimed at the 5th of March. Is this still where the deadline will be placed. It should give me enough time to get something in...

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 00:55:46

At 2/6/09 12:02 AM, MC43 wrote: Well, I guess this is my first post here in the boards... at all, however, I saw this thread, and knew I had to post in it. I've always been interested in doing something along these lines, and I wished to participate. I have not done any voice acting before, but was one of the finalists back several years ago when they were trying to replace the Black Mage's voice in the official 8-bit theater flashes.

Last I checked, the deadline was aimed at the 5th of March. Is this still where the deadline will be placed. It should give me enough time to get something in...

Same here. I've been interested, but never did this sort of thing before. This sounds fun to try out. Is there any recommended program to use for submitting voice clips?

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 02:12:53

When is the deadline? I'd like to enter.

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 02:19:50

OOOoooo we get to make our own dialog.
I just got an mbox.
youll prolly get some lulz out of me but im in.
The fun part is making the story.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 08:11:31

Hot damn! I'm one of the judges! really looking forward to see what people come up with... Deadline is march 5th!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 08:47:16

I too am very interested to take part. Is there a time limit to the recording we make? I'm guessing you wouldn't want us rambling on for 20 minutes.

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 08:56:41

At 2/6/09 08:11 AM, Dylawrence wrote: Hot damn! I'm one of the judges! really looking forward to see what people come up with... Deadline is march 5th!

Quiet you! I never gave your permission to talk... but yes as my lacky said, THE DEADLINE IS MARCH 5TH. Also, if you are banned from the audio portal or can not submit your voice acting on NG, then upload it to SpamTheWeb and post the link to your audio here. Please put it into a .MP3 format if possible.

At 2/6/09 12:02 AM, MC43 wrote: Well, I guess this is my first post here in the boards... at all, however, I saw this thread, and knew I had to post in it. I've always been interested in doing something along these lines, and I wished to participate. I have not done any voice acting before, but was one of the finalists back several years ago when they were trying to replace the Black Mage's voice in the official 8-bit theater flashes.

Finalist for 8-but theater you say? Wow, I remember that series. Its dead now, but I loved watching it when I first discovered the internet 362 years ago. I am happy to see that this brought your talent into light. I was hoping this contest would unhide many people such as you and this guy. \
^

At 2/6/09 12:55 AM, Vizier wrote:
Same here. I've been interested, but never did this sort of thing before. This sounds fun to try out. Is there any recommended program to use for submitting voice clips?

There are many program out there to record voice. I am assuming you have a PC so if you do, then I would recommend Audacity. The program actually isnt as good as everyone says it is, in my opinion, but once you record all the lines you can make all of them go onto one layer. *Each time you record Audacity starts a new layer and it is REALLY annoying because you end up with like 50 layers lol.* You might lke it though because the majority seems to.

:::JUDGES SO FAR:::
Tomomato
Dylawrence
Me

And DAAMMMNNN 2 pages already? IN ONE DAY? ON THE AUDIO FORUM?! Wooooot this competition is turning out great!

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 17:16:09

Can I use Sheezyart.com?

And yes the more pages the better it looks.

Yeah. I don't care what you use just make it easy to get to. I would prefer posting it on Newgrounds though just to make this contest look good so Tom can sponsor it. If you can't, post it to an uploading site such as Sheezyart.com or Mediafire.com

And to answer the other question, no I dont care how long it is.. but if you do make it longer than 5 minutes long it will get boring and lower your chances of winning.

*Unless it ISNT boring... hey wait a minute what?*

Response to Voice Acting Contest -1- 2009-02-06 17:31:58

If i wasn't so damn busy lately i'd probably be in on this but i'll just say good luck to everyone =).

Wyldfyre1