00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice Acting Contest 10

35,861 Views | 449 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 07:07:15

Voice Acting Contest 10
Bring out those mics and start up your recording software! Newgrounds' 10th voice acting contest is here! After the incredible amount of participation and insane talent that's shown up over the past several contests, I'm expecting this to be an outstanding contest! If you're a voice acting vet, this is a good way to sharpen your skills. If you're new to voice overs, this is a great venue to showcase what you have, get some feedback from the tight community and for everyone it's an awesome fun time! The usual prizes are in place and I'm working to secure a new first place prize as I did in the last contest so stay tuned for updates. If you're joining in, read the rules and info below then gets ta recordin'! Otherwise, show some support to your fellow NGers by listening, rating, commenting or even become a judge (If you meet the qualifications.) DOOO EEEET!

THEME: A Night to Remember

Contest Rules (PLEASE READ)
- Each entry needs to be a minimum of 2 minutes long and a maximum of 6 minutes long.
- Each entry must be about a NIGHT TO REMEMBER! Open your mind and think out of the box! Be creative! (It counts towards your score)
- Each entry must have at least 3 different voices.
- Each entry must be submitted by April 30th, 11:59PM EST
- Each entry can be any kind of genre (comedy, drama, etc...).
- No one may help you with your entry. You must do everything by yourself.
- All sound effects and music must be royalty free. No copyright material is allowed. (Try using the NG Audio Portal!)
- All entries must be sent to the NG audio portal. If you are banned, get a friend to submit it for you or try contacting an audio portal moderator directly. If you need scouted, contact me or another judge.
- You may use effects such as echo, robot, etc... however, manipulating your voice/pitch using your recording software is NOT allowed.
- Although only one submission per person is allowed, you may go back and edit the original entry as long as it happens before the deadline.
- Disobeying any rules will result in disqualification.

How To Submit
-All submissions MUST be submitted to the audio portal. As stated above, if you are banned, get someone else to submit it for you or contact me or another judge if you need to be scouted.
-Once you have submitted the piece to the audio portal, copy the link and paste it into this thread. Once I see it, I will add it to the list.
-Please keep it between 2 and 6 minutes. This is a must!

The Judging Process
Each entry will be judged per category. Each category has it's own point value. The total points will equal 150. After all points are added up, the more points you have, the higher place you will receive. (In case of a tie, I will break it). The categories are as follows:
Acting - The most important of all, YOUR ACTING! Your voice acting needs to sound like the character is actually in his or her situation. Try not to be monotone and dull. - 50 points
Range - How much each character varies from the others - 25 points
Fit - How well each voice fits the character. *An old man would have a raspy voice and a big guy would have a deep voice, etc...* (Obviously, consideration is taken if the voice is done differently for comedic value. Example: Old woman who smokes may sound like the fat guy from Aqua Teen Hunger Force) - 25 points
Mixing - Not all of us can afford a good mic, but please try to make your final production as high quality as possible! If your voice is fuzzy and full of static , the judges cant judge your voice as well. This also includes how you mix together your SFX and music. - 20
Originality - How original your skit was. Be creative! - 15 points
Writing- It's all good if you have great voice acting, but let's try and have your skit make sense! This doesn't mean you have to be another Hemingway, but there should be some sort of structure to your skit. Also, if your skit does not fit the theme well, points will be taken from this category. - 15

The Prizes!
If you end up winning, here is what will happen!
1st Place - *Possible Extra Prize TBD* + $60 Store Credit + Legendary Front Page!
2nd Place - $40 Store Credit + Freakin' Awesome Front Page!
3rd Place - $20 Store Credit + Fantastic Front Page!
4th Place - $0 Store Credit + Groovy Front Page!

If You Want to Judge!
We ALWAYS need judges, preferably a maximum of 5. Please note that if you do want to be a judge, results will be expected by May 14th. If results are not received by this date, your scores will not count.
If you would like to judge, send me a PM explaining why you are qualified to be one! (For judges, I'd like to see a track record of quality voice acting or a history of excellent reviews on voice acting) If there are openings, I'll send you what needs to be done!

Other Crap For You to Read!
Again the DEADLINE IS:April 30th 11:59pm EST!
Feel free to discuss the contest in this thread. It usually turns out to be a fun time! Obviously just keep flaming out of it. This contest is about bringing the voice acting community together! If your a beginner, throw in a submission anyway! It's a good way to get your name out there and to connect with others in the voice acting community... Besides, you never know what the outcome might be! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll keep you all updated with any changes and progress with judging.
I WANT DAT VOICE!

Voice Acting Contest 10

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 09:47:48

Yowza, instantly came up with an idea for one, this is going to be fun!

Haroo!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 12:10:21

maybe from me... maybe

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 15:10:11

At 3/27/13 02:32 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: I'm confused by this:

- You may use effects such as echo, robot, etc... however, manipulating your voice/pitch using your recording software is NOT allowed.

Me too. Which effects exactly are allowed, and which aren't. What is a "robot" effect? Are you allowed to use a vocoder to make your voice sound like a robot, or does that count as "manipulating your voice pitch using your recording software". What if I use my audio processing software instead of my recording software to manipulate my voice and pitch, is that suddenly allowed? How would the judges know the difference exactly?

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 15:40:09

At 3/27/13 03:10 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 3/27/13 02:32 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: I'm confused by this:

Me too. Which effects exactly are allowed, and which aren't. What is a "robot" effect? Are you allowed to use a vocoder to make your voice sound like a robot, or does that count as "manipulating your voice pitch using your recording software". What if I use my audio processing software instead of my recording software to manipulate my voice and pitch, is that suddenly allowed? How would the judges know the difference exactly?

Pretty much you can chop up your voice all you want. An echo to sound like you're in a cave, adding a delay to sound digitilized, layering a phone filter on your voice.... things that are impossible to do to your voice naturally unless your michael winslow from police academy. What ISN'T allowed are things you CAN do naturally such as artificially lowering or raising your pitch to match a certain character... mainly because it detracts from your natural talent in the range and fit categories.

Generally, I and the judges are able to tell artificial pitch changing. It's not hard to tell unless you're VERY good at mixing. If it's close, I will deal with it by contacting that person and see if I can get other examples or maybe even hear the voice live. There's also a bit of the honor system involved, but in 9 previous contests, I can only remember 1 time this was actually an issue. I contacted the person and they said they used it. I gave them the opportunity to change it before the deadline, they didn't so they were DQd.

Does all that make sense? If not, let me know. :)

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 16:39:04

Hmmmm...and now, I have more time for preparation. XD Last time, I just rushed my entry, and I can see why it didn't win by a long shot. So, perhaps now I'll have better luck.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 18:54:23

What would be a good software and decent mic for voice acting?

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 19:49:01

At 3/27/13 06:54 PM, Gooseman1993 wrote: What would be a good software and decent mic for voice acting?

Depends on your money situation. Audacity is a free recording software. (Find it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ ) and some of the more popular mics I know a lot of newgrounders use are the Blue Yeti and the AT2020 (which I use). I've heard good entries with cheaper mics if you have a nice recording space. There are a lot fo factors that go into it. Check this out for some guides: http://voiceacting.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=guides

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-27 19:50:45

Thanks!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-28 03:00:32

Well this will be my second time submitting for the contests, so I'm pretty excited! Below is a link to my submission for the Voice Acting Contest 10 (though I may edit it before the deadline). Would you please add it to the list of submissions sir? ^^

Thanks!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-28 08:26:48

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-28 17:46:02

Added both of you to my list!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-28 19:32:14

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-28 21:35:15

At 3/28/13 07:32 PM, vinnw541 wrote: Here's my submission
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/529058

Added!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-29 14:55:04

This is my first ever audio voice upload. Also, I havn't been scouted, so if you could help me out there.
this is my entry!
Reg and Bobs unforgettable night
hope you enjoy!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-29 23:37:26

Can you explain the theme again? I'm a bit confused.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-30 01:09:44

At 3/29/13 11:37 PM, Doppoganga wrote: Can you explain the theme again? I'm a bit confused.

MEISHT: Scouted and added. :)

Doppoganga: It's a very open theme. What I personally had in mind was something like Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, but if you can think of another way to interpret the theme feel free to give that a go too!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-30 17:26:25

Annnnd here's my entry. I totally had NO idea what to do, so I just went with what came to mind.

Enjoy!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-03-30 21:59:35

At 3/30/13 05:26 PM, ecopper12 wrote: Annnnd here's my entry. I totally had NO idea what to do, so I just went with what came to mind.

Enjoy!
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/529380

Added!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-01 11:08:41

I really blew chunks last time, so I'm hoping to redeem myself this time.

E

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-02 17:45:11

At 4/1/13 11:08 AM, Ryry67dude wrote: I really blew chunks last time, so I'm hoping to redeem myself this time.

If you don't, your fingers won't be the only things to get chopped off this time...

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-02 18:07:21

Hey, I'm quite exited for this and have an Idea.

Also two quick questions.

1. Can I make my own sound effects?

2. Can I just title it "A Night to Remember" exactly

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-02 19:02:54

||"I'm so epic, my epicness prevents me from being epic." || My Brother Chuck||

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-03 20:56:59

At 4/2/13 06:07 PM, Mike520 wrote: Hey, I'm quite exited for this and have an Idea.

Also two quick questions.

1. Can I make my own sound effects?

2. Can I just title it "A Night to Remember" exactly

1. Yes you can
2. You can title it whatever you want as long as the skit matches the theme and is original.

Added yours to the list^^^!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-04 12:54:47

This sounds so awesome! I can already hear the hilarity, count me in.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-04 19:04:30

At 4/4/13 12:54 PM, soLoKii wrote: This sounds so awesome! I can already hear the hilarity, count me in.

For the love of your grandchildren.... do it!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-07 02:29:10

Keep em coming!!!!!!!!!1 >:(

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-08 20:43:36

At 4/7/13 05:22 AM, benjadaninja wrote: Here's my submission! I ended up doing a total of 4 voices that I think are all unique. I really tried to give the whole movie like vibe and I think it turned out very well. I also made all the music for it! This one gets pretty intense by the end and will leave you wanting more! Enjoy!

Thanks broham! Added to the list!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 10 2013-04-08 21:19:16

Here is my entry! Hope i do well, looking forward to seeing the winner :)

Bring the ruckus.

BBS Signature