New Topic Respond to this Topic
CompleteDouche
CompleteDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-02 13:12:55 Reply

Ok, I just installed my first Graphics card from my on-board one.
Now I noticed that I need a new power supply, as my old one doesn't have another cable to attach to this card.
I need to know what power supply voltage I need to get.
Anyone have any pointers?

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-02 19:37:52 Reply

Card/power supply specs? Just because it doesn't have the right plug doesn't mean it wouldn't have enough juice if you used an adapter.

Kevin
Kevin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-04 16:31:00 Reply

Sup guys.

My good friend Fluff reffered me to this thread on building a computer.

I would like the same help please.

+++What I want to do+++
Play games (MW1/2, TF2, CSS,) nothing too fancy.

Be able to run Flash, Photoshop, After Effects with no/little lag with many MCs on stage.

+++My price range+++
$500-$1000

P.S. - no need for a ricer case with led lights everywhere.

BBS Signature
mario-dude
mario-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-04 17:08:15 Reply

Hiya guys, I need a little help picking out a decent motherboard. My dad who suddenly decided he needed a new computer has been pestering me to build him one in order to save some money. I have the knowledge to put a computer together but i don't really know what kind of motherboard would be acceptable.

Now this computer isn't going to be doing any serious gaming or whatnot (and by serious i mean crysis on ultra high). just some photoshopping, light gaming,watching HD movies/videos and internet browsing. The budget will be somewhere along the lines of 500 - 800 pounds. No overclocking capacity is really needed. But it needs to last a while without becoming really outdated.

I figured these specs would do nicely.....

E6600 C2D @ 2.4 GHZ
Geforce 9800 GT 256MB DDR3
4GB DDR2 (800MHZ)
Windows 7 ultimate
1TB hard drive (lots of stuff will be on this)
plus all the various cooling fans,LEDS and stuff.

So if any of you guys can recommend a good motherboard for this setup it would be greatly appreciated.

Any improvements to the above setup will also be welcome.

CompleteDouche
CompleteDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-05-05 18:07:39 Reply

My Birthday is coming up, and I'm going to get a new computer.
This one I CAN build myself, but I need to get a good parts (Something that can play Battlefield Bad Co. at mid settings).
The problem is,I don't know what to get / names of products
Our overall pricerange for the entire PC is $500 - $700.
I don't need to get an OS, as I have a copy of XP/Win7/Ubuntu at my home.
I'd like to have at least a Duo Core clocked around 2.3-3.0 each.
A good GFX card (as this is what I really need) preferably ndivia as I found that is better supported.
As for RAM, Probably 2 gigs.

I don't know about motherboards/PSU/CPUs so can anyone point me into the right direction?
(I'd like t have this upgradeable, but I'll take as is)
Is this possible with my current budget (What I should expect)

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-05-12 14:11:26 Reply

At 5/10/10 04:34 PM, Mendou wrote: Question: LGA socket types 1156 and 1366, any significant difference in performance between those two? The mobo I picked is a 1366(GIGABYTE, to be exact), so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra bit of dough.

1156 is for mainstreamers and 1366 is for enthusiasts. 1156 supports less lanes so it's a challenge to get 2 or more GPUs to run at full speed. It's processors are also less powerful but built on a newer/smaller lithography process (32nm > 45nm). The 1366 is more future-proof and 7's are sexier than 5's : D

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
DaboyzofWexford
DaboyzofWexford
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-06-18 20:19:29 Reply

Building my first rig, these specs look okay?

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

PSU: Cooler Master RS-550-ACAA-E3

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD3P

Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333 2X2GB

GPU: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 5850

HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB

Optical: SAMSUNG SH-S223C

Do I need to change anything?
Any way i can lower costs while keeping performance?

Zune Social ID : Daboyzofwexford/ AVA ID : Tehcamper

BBS Signature
DaboyzofWexford
DaboyzofWexford
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-06-18 20:21:34 Reply

Sorry for double post, i want to be able to play BC2 on medium-high specs.

BBS Signature
mario-dude
mario-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-06-24 18:41:22 Reply

With that rig you could play on highest settings on a high resolution with out a problem.

This guy has similar specs to you

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-06-26 23:45:56 Reply

I want to really jazz up this old computer I'm working on. It's about ten years old but runs Windows XP pretty well. It's still a little slow, but it runs like a bull's heart, slow but sure. And I was wandering if any of you guys could offer some basic computer maintenance advice for me to help whip this old thing into shape. I'm not looking to get any new parts unless needed, I'm just looking for some non-profit things to help with it's slowness. Like any anti-virus programs that don't take up a lot of computer usage, or a program that can help organize all the old files that clog it up, stuff like that. Things I could do right now to ensure that it is running at it's highest possible capacity. Any help guys?

It's an HP Pavilion 520n. With a Trinitron DELL monitor. If you need any basic specs I can provide them.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-06-26 23:56:46 Reply

Does any one in this crew even know how to help? There is an entire page of people begging for help and nobody is offering any kind of help. Are you guys good with computers or not? Did you make this thread just so people who need help, can stockpile there questions? Get it into gear, people need help and we need you. So why don't you actually help with the things that this Crew was made to discuss about? (though yes, this crew wasn't made for just helping it would be nice if you did or even gave small input)

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
enquencle
enquencle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-02 11:10:19 Reply

Hello guys, I posted this question before on the VideoGames forum, and GodsBitch adviced me to post it in here, to get better results.

I'm just going to do a repost of it.

Hi guys, I'm new in this thing of computer gaming. I've own consoles all my life, but i'm not exactly a computer geek, so i have no idea if this would work for me.

I've found this card in several stores where I live, it's not so expensive, but i havent found much info about it. Some say it's good, others say it's utter crap.
I was hoping i can get your opinion guys.

This is the card:
http://eu.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/

Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1047&Catego ryID=5&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=25&LanI D=0

Also here are my pc specs.
The video card is a crappy NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a with 64 MB, so it works for nothing really.
CPU:
AMD Athlon II X2 245
RAM:
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M68M-S2P (Socket M2)

I want the card for games like Fallout 3, and for a good speed when using Phothosop, as well as a good quality for movies and videos. I'm planning on getting a bluray optical drive (since i dont have one at home) , and i want a compatible card that gets the best out of it.
I have an HP w2408 monitor, with an hdmi input.

Anyways, if you think it's not a good enough card, post your suggestions, but keep in mind I have around $700-1000 USD and I live in Mexico, so it might be harder to find it, or i'll have to pay for the shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Computer Construction Crew

Gamertag: enquencle
Looking for people who plays Fifa 08 :(

BBS Signature
enquencle
enquencle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-03 00:12:56 Reply

Just a little bump.
Does anyone have any info or suggestions about the above graphics card? thank you guys.

Gamertag: enquencle
Looking for people who plays Fifa 08 :(

BBS Signature
ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-03 17:16:47 Reply

(excuse the rank, haven't honestly hung around NG logged in, never had a purpose to. this forum might change that though)

link's dead, repost? if the card in question is that GT220 though, heck no. I'm assuming that your monitor's a 24" (from what HP likes to abbreviate their products), and it runs at 1920x1080. To run anything decently on that, it'd be nice if you could upgrade to modern graphics. ATI's Radeon 5850 is a pretty nice budget card at just under $300, and should be able to run a lot of things pretty decently, albeit not at max settings. The 5770 is a cheaper alternative, but only if you're seriously desperate. On the other hand, if you want to go with nVidia (and get PhysX support, as well as 3D Vision compatibility), the GTX 470 is the equivalent of the 5850. GTX 465 is the cheaper alternative to the 470, GTX 460's coming out in the next few days though (cheaper, less power usage, more mainstream directed)

ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-03 17:21:30 Reply

At 6/26/10 11:45 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: I want to really jazz up this old computer I'm working on. It's about ten years old but runs Windows XP pretty well. It's still a little slow, but it runs like a bull's heart, slow but sure. And I was wandering if any of you guys could offer some basic computer maintenance advice for me to help whip this old thing into shape. I'm not looking to get any new parts unless needed, I'm just looking for some non-profit things to help with it's slowness. Like any anti-virus programs that don't take up a lot of computer usage, or a program that can help organize all the old files that clog it up, stuff like that. Things I could do right now to ensure that it is running at it's highest possible capacity. Any help guys?

It's an HP Pavilion 520n. With a Trinitron DELL monitor. If you need any basic specs I can provide them.

Download this app called CCleaner. It'll clean out all temporary files, as well as allowing you to scan the registry for errors (don't worry, gives you the option to back it up before hand...just in case). Then, go defrag it. No, not using the built on defragmenter. I dunno, personally, I use Microsoft Contig (available here), paired with Power Defragmenter for a GUI (available here). Unzip Power Defragmenter, stick Contig in the same folder, and you're good to go (hit PowerDefragmenter.exe in the folder, or whatever.)

Xenolithic
Xenolithic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-09 06:43:28 Reply

I've got 2 computers: Laptop and a desktop

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L305D

15.4" / 1280x800
3GB RAM
AMD Sempron SI-42 @ 2.1GHz
ATI Radeon 3100
250GB HDD (5400RPM)
Windows 7 Ultimate / Ubuntu 10.04

Desktop: Custom :3

22" / 1680x1050
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1GB)
Intel Core2Duo E7500 @ 2.94GHz (Not OC'd)
ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
500GB HDD (Unsure of RPM)
Windows 7 Ultimate

God kill me for so much Windows. T.T

I'd build an even nicer gaming rig (though the desktop does just fine for everything I play), but I'm severely lacking money. (I'm 16 and without a job, so...Yeah, heheh.)

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-09 06:58:30 Reply

I want to get this place running again. This time though, I want it to be more than just people dumping their builds and asking if they're good. So let's see what happens.

My Evga motherboard died for the second time in two years, so I'm getting it sent off for RMA. The last time this happened, they told me the board was physically damaged, and I had to pay $40 for a replacement. If they try pulling that again, I have timestamped photos of it in perfect condition that I can shove up their ass.

Xenolithic
Xenolithic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-09 07:22:21 Reply

At 7/9/10 06:58 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: My Evga motherboard died for the second time in two years, so I'm getting it sent off for RMA. The last time this happened, they told me the board was physically damaged, and I had to pay $40 for a replacement. If they try pulling that again, I have timestamped photos of it in perfect condition that I can shove up their ass.

I've never owned anything from EVGA, only ATI/Intel/AMD/ASUS, I think. Probably more, but I'm forgetful. I've not heard the greatest things about EVGA, either. (Oh! MSI motherboards.) I don't think I've ever had to RMA anything, either.

Lucky me, I guess.

ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-11 15:48:50 Reply

getting myself a nice EVGA FTW3 coming back with my build. ordered it from a place, so they're happily redoing the overclock for me with a cooler I sent to em :D

mario-dude
mario-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-13 10:53:07 Reply

Still pissed off that my First build won't connect to the internet. But hugging it at the same time because it is the best computer i have ever owned.

On another note. Is there a significant diffrence between a Q6600 And and I5 750? Because i'm just wondering if it was money well spent.

ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-13 11:30:05 Reply

Core i's have hyperthreading, don't they?

and why won't ur build connect to the internet...lol.

ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-13 22:17:16 Reply

I can show you a nice lappy build that'll be able to satisfy your needs.
But if you want a desktop really, what kind of case would you need...just wondering.

mario-dude
mario-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-14 21:53:13 Reply

At 7/13/10 11:30 AM, ablahblah wrote: Core i's have hyperthreading, don't they?

and why won't ur build connect to the internet...lol.

Intel CPUS have had hyper threading since the days of the pentium 4.

And i don't know why my build won't connct to the internet.

DaboyzofWexford
DaboyzofWexford
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-17 16:45:42 Reply

At 6/24/10 06:41 PM, mario-dude wrote: With that rig you could play on highest settings on a high resolution with out a problem.

This guy has similar specs to you

I know i'm a bit late, but the reselution i want is 1920X1080.
Also, anybody get a new Nvidia card?
I'll wait for next years 6000 range.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-19 20:30:35 Reply

Hi guys, quick question.

I'm replacing my mobo, CPU and GPU (don't worry, already chosen+ordered parts). I'm just wondering, I'm running windows 7, am I going to have to reinstall it or anything, is it gonna think I've pirated if I just switch round the components? Will it even load? Should I backup my stuff or am I safe anyway?

BBS Signature
ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-20 08:51:45 Reply

With every mobo swap, yep, you need to reinstall. Windows will boot, only thing is, when you install Windows, it installs things to let it recognize the ports on your motherboard and CPU. Put it into a different environment, and it gets completely completely confused and might not run right. Safest thing to do is to reinstall. Did you upgrade to the OS you're using now, or not? If you did, do NOT erase the hard drive. Keep it in the system, and just reinstall Windows over it. If you didn't, and you know you own a full copy of the OS, then wiping the drive might be a good idea to do a nice finishing tune-up touch to the system.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-20 10:03:42 Reply

oh awesome, might as well back up and format then

thanks buddddddy

PS: Graphics card arrived today, getting excited

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-21 15:01:42 Reply

So my new parts came, I put them together, and it... doesn't work.

I'm bench testing it, the PSU and RAM i've cannibalized from my previous PC so I know they work, but it's a new graphics card, mobo, CPU and cooler. When I hit the power button the fans start up (very slowly), but nothing else happens.

:(

Anything I can do? Any way I can work out what component is dead (if any)? Any clues? I've remembered to plug in both the big 12*2 power supply and the 2*4 power supply (my PSU comes with two 2*2 power supply things, I assume it's okay to put them in side by side for it?)

BBS Signature
ablahblah
ablahblah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-22 05:00:50 Reply

yeah, pairing up two of those 4 pin connectors to make an 8 pin is what you do with some PSUs. making sure of one thing though, your old PC wasn't a dell, right?

seems that there can be three problems. 1 - psu 2 - motherboard 3 - cpu. PSU you said worked before, which checks it out, unless it was a Dell PSU. Motherboard, eh, see if it has a display on it. Should be a small square that can display two numbers at once, sorta like how a digital clock displays numbers. If it has one, which it should, watch it when you try to start the computer up and see if it does anything, gets stuck at a number/code, etc. The CPU I'm suspecting as the most likely culprit. Get the cooler off, remove the CPU, and make sure nothing's bent in the socket, nothing looks wrong, and make sure it goes in right. Reapply TIM, don't forget. Never reuse old TIM.

Last thing is that you mentioned slow spinning fans? There's a slight possibility that you may have overloaded the capacity of the motherboard's fan power load and err, fried it. No high-power fans or anything, right? How many fans? Are the fans connected to the power supply directly, or on the motherboard? If on the motherboard, remove them all, and try to start it up. If on the power supply, again, remove them all, and try to start it up.

ThoseSneakyFrench
ThoseSneakyFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-07-22 07:09:42 Reply

At 7/13/10 10:53 AM, mario-dude wrote: Still pissed off that my First build won't connect to the internet. But hugging it at the same time because it is the best computer i have ever owned.

Download network drivers from another computer and install them.

On another note. Is there a significant diffrence between a Q6600 And and I5 750? Because i'm just wondering if it was money well spent.

Actually, the Intel Core processors have hyperthreading, which can give better performance than 4 regular cores in highly threaded situations. However, unless you encode video or do photoshop for a living, the real world benefit is minimal. Right now I'm running on a 1.9ghz Athlon x2. As far as web browsing goes, there's absolutely no difference between this and my e8500, which is pretty cool considering it's both a slower architecture and half the speed.

_____

Getting my computer fixed has been a mess. I decided to finish up a case I bought last November because my motherboard was broken, and now I'm basically overhauling the whole thing.

My current power supply won't fit in the case, so I'm downsizing to a 500 watt.

I didn't fully dry my old heatsink before putting it in a bag, so now it FREAKING RUSTED. Idiot move on my part. I'm going to blast it with Rustoleum, but the plating is flaking off and it doesn't look safe in any computer. Thinking about getting a Corsair H50...

And because I'm strapped for cash through all this, I'm more than likely going to end up selling my newgrounds case to some yahoo.

Computer Construction Crew