00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,252 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-04 02:22:42

At 11/3/09 07:29 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Update:

Shoot me with a stick. This is the first time I'll be triple posting. Why can't NG be more like overclock.net and let us edit???

1. Forgot to say I also have utorrent on, which might be affecting the cpu usage
2. uTorrent has been going back and forth saying I do and I don't have incoming connections...
3. My cpu seems to be doing less repeated UP down UP down, but was just going on an all out benge, and has now calmed down...look!

Here!

hmmm thats weird man

i suggest closing programs one by one and checking if that solved the problem

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-04 05:31:10

At 11/3/09 01:31 PM, Homosecksual wrote: Hey guys, I got a new sound card (X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional) and I install it, the card lights up like its supposed to, but my computer wont turn on. Is my computer's PSU too little? It's a 400 watt PSU, and if that is the case, would it be a better idea just to return the sound card or get a new PSU?

AFAIK sound cards are not THAT power hungry. Try re-seating it. You also might've knocked something else loose wen you installed it.

At 11/3/09 07:22 PM, TheWolfe wrote: I have Word open, iTunes, Firefox, and MSN open. At first I thought it was due to an add-on I had, ReloadEvery, and so the cpu would freak out every time firefox pages would reload, but I uninstalled that and the problem is still happening.

I know that when I have a reloadevery-type add-on, it significantly lags the computer. But if you uninstalled it, then iono.

Side note: Why does firefox require so much memory! IE only takes maybe a 1/6th of that! I know add ons and cutomization has its price, but that much?! Maybe I need to find a new browser...

It takes the memory because it can. I don't think it ever cleans up its own memory but usually the unused memory gets reallocated to other programs should they need it.

I am getting no incoming connections. So I looked up my router model (Westell 327W) and followed the instructions. It says I have to paste my router's IP address into my browser. (The IP being 192.168.1.) but when I enter the address, firefox waits, and then says it cannot connect.

The IP address is 192.168.1.1 or you could try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-04 11:02:25

At 11/3/09 07:29 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Update:

Shoot me with a stick. This is the first time I'll be triple posting. Why can't NG be more like overclock.net and let us edit???

1. Forgot to say I also have utorrent on, which might be affecting the cpu usage
2. uTorrent has been going back and forth saying I do and I don't have incoming connections...
3. My cpu seems to be doing less repeated UP down UP down, but was just going on an all out benge, and has now calmed down...look!

Here!

I would say your cpu peeks are just a combination of firefox, itunes and adobe updater being active at the same time.

And firefox uses a hell of a lot of memory when flash is running because it loads it into ram, IE uses that amount of memory, it just dosent show it

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-04 16:31:23

At 11/4/09 05:31 AM, Wylo wrote:
At 11/3/09 01:31 PM, Homosecksual wrote:

Thanks for the info. Now that it is the next day and my computer has restarted, I am seeing less freezing. Although there are still some peaks, notably at start up (more than usual).

Those ip addresses didn't work =(
What's really concerning about this is that with DLing you don't know how good or bad you have it. The best downs I have are 300kb on greatly seeded torrents, yet I've never seen my up higher than 25kb.
I'm reading about partial dling though, and it looks promising.

At 11/4/09 11:02 AM, steveo1259 wrote:

Speaking of which, adobe updater has been nagging at me lately, maybe that's the problem. I wonder if this lag only happens to dual cores and quads can deal with it better. Or perhaps its the clock itself. I'm OC'd to 3.2 or so.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-04 23:14:10

At 11/4/09 04:31 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Those ip addresses didn't work =(

Ugh, stupid non-standard routers. Go to Start Menu > Run > Enter "cmd" and Run > ipconfig > Type the IP address under Default Gateway into your browser.

What's really concerning about this is that with DLing you don't know how good or bad you have it. The best downs I have are 300kb on greatly seeded torrents, yet I've never seen my up higher than 25kb.

I don't understand this statement.

I'm reading about partial dling though, and it looks promising.

At 11/4/09 11:02 AM, steveo1259 wrote:
Speaking of which, adobe updater has been nagging at me lately, maybe that's the problem. I wonder if this lag only happens to dual cores and quads can deal with it better. Or perhaps its the clock itself. I'm OC'd to 3.2 or so.

Lots of things can do lag. Best to do is try to close down each process one at a time and see which one causes it.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-05 11:42:38

At 11/4/09 11:14 PM, Wylo wrote:
At 11/4/09 04:31 PM, TheWolfe wrote: What's really concerning about this is that with DLing you don't know how good or bad you have it. The best downs I have are 300kb on greatly seeded torrents, yet I've never seen my up higher than 25kb.
I don't understand this statement.

What he saying is that he gets great download speeds and only uploads at 25kb which is normal for just about anywhere, the reason you can download at a much higher speed is down to 2 reasons,

1. being that your phone line can handle a much greater down speed than up speed

2. being that bittorrent downloads the files from multiple computers, so if 10 computers are all uploading the same file at 25 kbs then you can download at 250kbs (dummed down hell of a lot but still)

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-05 19:16:49

Might I ask why some comps these days that exclaim "Super gaming computers" and the like have about 5gb max for about $2000. I know that the RAM isn't everything, but if you are gaming, and have a LOT of games, you need lots of memory.

You just lost the game

Sig by Sig crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-05 19:19:32

Wait, nvr mind, being retarded, thought of a TOTALLY different thing.

You just lost the game

Sig by Sig crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-07 00:39:41

At 11/5/09 07:19 PM, MastaGeneral wrote: Wait, nvr mind, being retarded, thought of a TOTALLY different thing.

Lolz its ok. Come back if you have any other questions =D

In the mean time, does anyone know of a program that deletes files?

I am currently trying to reinstall a game that has been giving me errors and has stopped opening/working. I tried to uninstall it using the control panel AND the CD, but whenever I try to install it, it tells me there's already an installation in progress. I assume this means that there's already an installed copy of this game on my computer that needs to be removed, and that the traditional ways of removal are not "fully" working. So I need a program that deletes things, no questions asked.

Isn't there something like killbot? Not sure what it's called...

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-07 11:02:48

Well, if a uninstall messes up, I just usually delete the whole folder it is in, it may have some other folders aswell so you may need to search for them.

I think that that question may have to go in the computer repair club thing.

You just lost the game

Sig by Sig crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-07 12:10:42

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-07 17:51:21

hey guys help me pick a 24" 1920x1200 monitor pl0x

At 11/7/09 03:01 PM, Mendou wrote: I'm still deciding which case to grab, any suggestions on some sturdy and reliable cases?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811144253

I've been thinking of that one in particular.

coolermaster, antec

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-08 19:15:05

At 11/8/09 04:32 PM, Mendou wrote:
At 11/7/09 05:51 PM, TacoFreak wrote:

coolermaster, antec
antecs look kind of ugly, I've found some neat cooler masters though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811119194

All depends on your price range.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-08 20:25:37

Is the Q8200 a good quad core?

Check da rools or watever, b niec. It should say always b a tough guy.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-09 09:14:21

AMD QUAD GOGOGO

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-11 12:33:38

Still havent found a solution to my sound-card dilemma =\

I've tried everything, short of getting a new PSU, but I'm STILL not sure if it would work.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-11 20:13:02

hey everyone, im looking to build my own desktop, but im new to all of this hardcore pc gaming stuff. so here goes.
i want to be able to run borderlands, left 4 dead 1 and 2, counter strike source, and pretty much any other valve game at full settings. i would also like a moderately good hard drive, ram and processing good enough to run music production software like fl studio. and also flash cs4. i would also like a pretty flashy case to put it all in, cuz i like to show off. i have a 1800 dollar budget. i would also like to be able to add on anything new that comes out later, like better graphics cards. i also like mapping and stuff like that for left 4 dead and counter strike. so if anyone could help me out with this, that would be much appreciated. kthnxbai!

When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back. And when you eat a cheeseburger, the abyss weeps because it has no mouth to eat a cheeseburger.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-12 10:20:22

At 11/11/09 08:13 PM, awesomewhitegold wrote: hey everyone, im looking to build my own desktop, but im new to all of this hardcore pc gaming stuff. so here goes.

stopped right there, you PROBABLY don't know how to build a computer, so I'm going to tell you to go to http://ecollegepc.com/ they have good computers, prebuild it for you and its cheaper than buying a prebuilt from somewhere else.

I would upgrade the graphics card from a GTS250 to something better, and maybe the power supply in case you ever want to add something else (500watt seems reasonable), you MAY want a bigger HDD, you can get about an extra 250GB or 500GB by adding 20 or 40 dollars respectively. OR you could get 2 HDDs and keep your OS on one of them.

If you REALLY want to get bang for your buck (since you want to do "hardcore gaming", I recommend getting:

Logitech MX518
Logitech G11/G15

And if you want a headset:

Creative Fatal1ty Headset MKII
link (I don't own this but I have good reviews on the item from friends, a good deal on it too.)

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-12 11:26:29

At 11/11/09 08:13 PM, awesomewhitegold wrote: hey everyone, im looking to build my own desktop, but im new to all of this hardcore pc gaming stuff. so here goes.
i want to be able to run borderlands, left 4 dead 1 and 2, counter strike source, and pretty much any other valve game at full settings. i would also like a moderately good hard drive, ram and processing good enough to run music production software like fl studio. and also flash cs4. i would also like a pretty flashy case to put it all in, cuz i like to show off. i have a 1800 dollar budget. i would also like to be able to add on anything new that comes out later, like better graphics cards. i also like mapping and stuff like that for left 4 dead and counter strike. so if anyone could help me out with this, that would be much appreciated. kthnxbai!

yo sup. Here is a very good build, if it's too expensive for you I can go cheaper.

CPU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16819103674

a good cpu. I picked quad as you aren't only gonna be gaming and it will last you long

mobo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16813128377

kinda pricey but you need dual x16

GPU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16814102856&cm_re=5870-_-14-
102-856-_-Product

This is the most powerful ATI card out at the moment. It supports DX11 and you can always buy another one later on for crossfire.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16820220371

decent ram and cheap, you don't really need any faster ram cause you won't notice the difference

PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16817139012&cm_re=corsair-_-
17-139-012-_-Product

HDD: get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16822136284

or if you wanna RAID get 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16822136319

RAID means you will have much faster access times but you will have to occasionally backup your data as one HDD might file and ur files are gone

CD optical: get anything that has a sata connector

case: this really depends here

if you really want a shiny case I would suggest modding one. If you can't mod one yourself you could ask someone else to do it for you. I know some people that would be able to do it.

otherwise just browse cases and find something you like. Make sure it isn't too small and has decent air flow. You can get LED fans or cold cathodes to light it up

cpu cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16835185093&Tpk=mugen%202

yes you need one

sorry if i missed anything

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-12 14:15:49

Guys, I want to buy a 9800GT graphics card and I was wondering if my computer is compatible but I don't know what to check for and I don't want to pay some technician £20 to tell me.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-12 14:38:37

At 11/12/09 02:15 PM, Obvious-M wrote: Guys, I want to buy a 9800GT graphics card and I was wondering if my computer is compatible but I don't know what to check for and I don't want to pay some technician £20 to tell me.

1. PSU specs. Look at the side of your PSU and you should get the name of it and specs.

2. Your mobo needs a PCI-E x16 slot

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-12 20:06:33

I'm low on a budget, but I need a laptop that has relatively good specs. I searched all over hp.com, newegg, tigerdirect, dell, and bestbuy, and all I could find that match my needs were:

this lappy
and this one

I need at least:
a dual core with 2.0 gighz
an alright graphics card
over 2 gigs of DDR2 ram
667mhz of BUS
something small
long battery life
at least 1 mb of L2 cache
150 gigs of hard drive space with 4200 RPM

NOTE: These are all minimum specs I need.

My budget is $500 and I would like it as cheap as possible. No netbooks satisfy my needs, as they are all single core and below 1.8 gighz. The screen resolution should be over 1280 by 800, no less. If one is more AND less (like 1366 by 789) that's fine, as long as one is more and less; cannot be both under. Thanks if anyone can help.

I'm a mod!/ Sign up for the NGPD, To Blam and Protect. Post in the thread if you want to join, all new recruits are welcome! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-13 08:35:25

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-13 12:23:32

At 11/12/09 02:38 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
At 11/12/09 02:15 PM, Obvious-M wrote: Guys, I want to buy a 9800GT graphics card and I was wondering if my computer is compatible but I don't know what to check for and I don't want to pay some technician £20 to tell me.
1. PSU specs. Look at the side of your PSU and you should get the name of it and specs.

I feel like a retard and probably should for not knowing what a PSU is, however my computer is fairly new so and has a shit ton of RAM and stuff so it should work? Intel XEON btw if that helps. :o

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-13 13:42:01

At 11/13/09 12:23 PM, Obvious-M wrote:
At 11/12/09 02:38 PM, TacoFreak wrote:

I feel like a retard and probably should for not knowing what a PSU is, however my computer is fairly new so and has a shit ton of RAM and stuff so it should work? Intel XEON btw if that helps. :o

Man are you retarded or something. Jesus.

I don't really give a shit how much RAM you have because that's irrelevant.

Like I said before:

1. PSU. You could've checked what it means with a google search. Well I'll tell you, it means power supply. You need to make sure that yours has the required power cable and has enough power to give enough juice for the card.

2. Check what motherboard you have.

Start - > Run -> dxdiag - > system model -> post it here

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-13 13:43:25

Oh sorry I forgot that to check what power supply you have you should check the label on the side of it. If you don't know what im talking about then use google

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-13 23:50:51

How hard is it to connect a PSU to all of your PC parts?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-14 06:28:34

Motherboard is NTC-D and my thing doesn't have a sticker, didn't buy it from a shop.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-14 08:15:00

At 11/14/09 06:28 AM, Obvious-M wrote: Motherboard is NTC-D and my thing doesn't have a sticker, didn't buy it from a shop.

You might be able to find the name of the motherboard with a program called cpu-z (google it). Or you can try checking on the actual motherboard. As for the PSU I'm not if I can help you.

If you really want to buy that 9800 GT ask here : www.overclock.net

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-11-14 14:06:36

At 11/13/09 08:35 AM, TacoFreak wrote: chiggers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16834157036

Thank you!

I'm a mod!/ Sign up for the NGPD, To Blam and Protect. Post in the thread if you want to join, all new recruits are welcome! :)

BBS Signature