00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted AnassAnimationPro supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

435,889 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-13 19:30:38

At 9/13/09 03:10 PM, Jack wrote: Yeah, its a Spanish zombie flick. Personally, I think its the best horror film in a while, though I know a lot of people who didn't think much of it.

There was a very similar American movie called Quarantine. I haven't seen that either. If anyone has seen both which is better?

If you're going to watch it, make sure you watch it in the dark!

Haha, will do.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-16 19:10:57

So i went to the cinema on Sunday and watched District 9. The movie was pretty good. Not the best story ever, but it was entertaining. The best thing about the movie, was without a doubt the special effects it had. It's not the typical alien movie where you see the aliens 2 or 3 times in the whole film. In this movie there are aliens on screen just as much as there are humans.

Apart from the aliens the special effects for the guns, robot and space ship were all awesome. They leave the ending quite open, so there could be a sequel. I don't know if they'll ever get around to it, but if they do i'd like to see it.

I give it an 8/10, and recommend it if you want to see some shoot out action, and aliens in the same movie.

Then I watched Bruno at home on Monday. One word to sum up my opinion of this movie - Disappointment.
It was a waste of an hour and 20 minutes. After enjoying Borat so much i was expecting alot better, but this is nothing in comparison. There were a few scenes that were humorous, but nothing to make you burst out laughing.

If you liked Borat, leave it at that. Bruno was really quite bad. I'll give it a 4/10.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-21 20:07:37

At 9/21/09 06:48 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: [Rec] 2 is probably the best horror sequel I've seen from this decade.

Sounds good. Did you watch it in Spanish or was there an English dub?

I recently watched the first part, and although the movie had an English dub, i watched it in Spanish, as i understand - it just felt more natural. Besides, the English dub was quite bad in my opinion.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-21 23:41:01

i ll join i love most any movie with a good plot and execution

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-22 06:48:00

At 9/21/09 10:34 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: No, it was in Spanish. Most of the audience saw the original, when the film's presenter asked how many had seen it. I definitely don't think they were there for an English dub.

So do you speak Spanish, or did it have subs?

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-22 20:26:51

At 9/22/09 12:14 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: It had subs.

Ah ok. I don't mind subs myself, but i know alot of people that can't watch movies with subs. Alot of people say, 'I can't watch the movie and read the subs at the same time', but i actually don't mind subs. Sometimes i even watch a movie in English with English subs haha.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-24 18:51:41

Watched Star Trek: First Contact.

It was fantastic, but not flawless. MUCH better than Generations. Cochrane was a pretty entertaining character, and all the Enterprise crew were as great as ever, even if they did almost write Riker, La Forge and Troi out by leaving them on Earth, while all the action took place on the Enterprise. Data is probably the stand out performance. His final scene with the Borg Queen was the best in the film.

Lots of nice little details for series fans, too. Cochrane being a big one, as he previously featured in an episode of the original series, albeit played by a different actor. Other stuff like Worf commanding the Defiant from Deep Space Nine at the beginning, Reg Barclay, who was a recurring character in the series, being apart of the away team, Crusher turning on the emergency medical hologram, and having it turn out to be the same as the one on Voyager, and Picard using a Dixon Hill holodeck programme, a character he played in the holodeck in an earlier episode.

There were bits I didn't like, though. The introduction of the new Enterprise was very rushed. Whenever a new ship was introduced in previous films, they always made a big deal of it, even when it wasn't the main focus of the film, like the Excelsior in Search For Spock, but here it was just sort of "by the way, we have a new ship now". The woman from the 21st century who ends up on the Enterprise and convinces Picard to stop his suicidal quest for revenge by comparing him to Ahab didn't really feel necessary either. Shouting at him to make him change his mind and turn on the self destruct was her only important scene, and that could have worked equally well with Crusher or another crew member doing it, if not better.

Still, minor flaws in an otherwise great film. 9/10.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-26 00:38:03

I know I've never posted in here before, but I just saw The Last Samurai, and it just might be the best movie I've ever seen. They capture it so seamlessly, so flawlessly. Excusing of course the fact everyone wore shoes in the emperor's throne room in the movie. For me, it goes right up there with Braveheart, and We Were Soldiers as far as war movies are concerned. For movies in general... it's in a class all it's own.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-26 08:27:54

Watched "Black Water", a crocodile film based on the same events as "Rogue" was. While it is more true to reality than Rogue, it's still very loosely related to the real events. In reality, 3 guys went quadbiking, went to wash their clothes in a river, one got swept away, the others went after him to help, got swept about a kilometre downriver, were attacked by a crocodile, one was killed, and the other two spent the night in a tree before being rescued by the police.

In "Rogue", there's almost no relation, since it's about a group of tourists stuck on a tiny island, with the tide coming in, besieged by a giant crocodile, and has insane things like a guy fighting it with a big stick (and winning).

In "Black Water", a woman, her sister and her sister's husband are on holiday, and decide to go on a boat tour of a river. Their guide mentions that there used to be a lot of crocodiles in the area, but there aren't any more. The enter a swampy area, with loads of trees in the water, and the boat is capsized by a crocodile, and their guide is killed. The manage to get up a tree, but no one knows where they are, so they have no hope of rescue. The rest of the film is them trying to get out.

It was a pretty good film. The fact that the water IS black and you can't see below the surface builds tension very well, as you can't tell if the crocodile is even there half the time, and often it turns out that it isn't, so when it is, there's more of a shock. However, having only 4 cast members, and killing one off in the initial attack does not allow for many kill scenes, which leads to people escaping death rolls with unbelievable minor injuries.

It's also a bit slow in places, with a lot of scenes of people shouting at each other arguing what to do next, with no excitement during these scenes, as they're all safe in the tree, so there's no threat from the crocodile. The fact that it all takes place during the day, apart from one brief night scene (again, in which everyone is perfectly safe), does make it a bit less scary, too.

Still enjoyable. 7/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-26 12:59:41

At 9/26/09 12:50 PM, Mendou wrote: Watched Sex Drive last night
Check it out if you want something fun and unsubstantial to watch.

Heh, i watched that a few months ago. I hadn't heard anything about it either, but i was quite suprised that it was actually a decent movie with quite a few funny moments. Plus, the main actress is hot, and was pretty likeable in the movie :D

I just finished watching Porco Rosso. Another amazing movie from Ghibli studios. I watched it in it's original Japanese language with English subs. It really was a great movie, but i wouldn't expect less from the great master Hayao. Oh, and Jean Reno did the main characters voice in the French version - would have been cool if he did the English voice for him too. He has the perfect voice for Porco the pig!

Response to Cinema Club 2009-09-26 14:54:11

At 9/26/09 12:59 PM, Life-Stream wrote:
At 9/26/09 12:50 PM, Mendou wrote: Watched Sex Drive last night
Check it out if you want something fun and unsubstantial to watch.
Heh, i watched that a few months ago. I hadn't heard anything about it either, but i was quite suprised that it was actually a decent movie with quite a few funny moments. Plus, the main actress is hot, and was pretty likeable in the movie :D

It looked like a good comedy (relatively of course), and I wanted to see it. I'll definitely look for it sometime.

You guys should all watch I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, it is a completely unconventional comedy and is really new and different than anything I've seen this year. It's not the best movie out there, but it's definitely unique enough for you to watch, and I thought it was one of the better movies that came out this year.

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-01 17:48:17

Sex Drive is pretty funny, Transporter 3 is alright, Kuro Obi (Black Belt) is a good martial arts drama, Crank 2 sucks, this Russian movie Come and See is a picture of WWII in Russia unlike any I've ever seen, Brother is a mediocre Russian crime drama, and lol at Doomsday. Oh yeah, and Inglorious Basterds was cool and funny.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-01 18:42:53

I watched Schlinder's List for the first time a couple of nights ago.
After it finished I had this moment of reflection and shed a tear or so. Sophie Scholl did that to me as well, but compared to this, the grimness of that film is nothing.

Despite the overall story justifying the film as somethign quite spectacular, I didn't think it was that good. The first hour or so left me confused as to what Schlinder was actually doing - I mean in terms of business as opposed to ambigious heroics. It felt a bit unexplained for a long while.

But what can you say really, its a faux-documentary and definately strikes at your heart. But its not all that interesting to watch.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-01 18:56:42

At 10/1/09 06:42 PM, Nev wrote: Sophie Scholl did that to me as well, but compared to this, the grimness of that film is nothing.

been meaning to see that.

And I thought Schindler's List was amazing.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-15 18:44:09

So guys, with Halloween approaching have you arranged any horror films to watch? I like to watch a good amount of horror flicks during the Halloween season.

Horror films I've got ready to watch.

The Brides of Dracula
Taste the Blood of Dracula
Dracula AD 1972
Creepshow
The Blair Witch Project
The Exorcist
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Mummy
The Eye (Hong Kong original)
Ed Wood (not a horror film but looks at Ed Wood's films of the 1940's and 1950's).

I've also ordered region 1 copies of Return of the Living Dead and 1980's remake of The Blob.

I'm looking forward to having a Hammer fest and getting to finally watch The Exorcist.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-15 19:14:14

I watched Infernal Affairs 2. meh. not nearly as good as the first one. And I watched Ghost Town and Wanted. Both were okay.

At 10/15/09 06:44 PM, Jack wrote: Creepshow

All I remember from this is Leslie Nielsen covered in seaweed. Or was the other guy covered in seaweed? ...Yeah, I don't remember a thing from this movie.

The Exorcist
Ed Wood

These are good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-15 19:32:05

Watched a few things recently:

BASEketball:
Last time I watched this I thought it was a lot shitter than I'd previous thought, as I'd recently watched Orgazmo and Cannibal! The Musical and I thought they were far superior Trey (and Matt) films. I don't really know whats changed but I enjoyed this so much more this time. It's great silly fun.

Capote:
I thought this was alright. I spent most of the film confused as I didn't know who Truman Capote was coming into it. I actually thought it Capote was Al Capone :P. Also PSH's voice took a while to get used to. I didn't really understand why the murderer bloke went from being all 'the dude was nice' to blasting people in the face with a shotgun. But I enjoyed it all.

Matrix Trilogy:
1st is obviously good. Though I'd never truely understood why the next two got a slamming until now. It all comes across as cheap and desperate.

Memento:
This film upset me first time as I didn't want to believe the ending. But this second watching really helped me understand the film more and realise that the ending is better for him than I first realised.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-18 18:40:16

At 10/15/09 06:44 PM, Jack wrote: So guys, with Halloween approaching have you arranged any horror films to watch?

All I have for sure to watch is [Rec.], as far as movies I have not previously seen. maybe Drag Me to Hell, if I can get it. and Rosemary's Baby and Cannibal Holocaust. Those depend on Netflix. I think there may be a couple horror movies set to record on my DVR.

At 10/15/09 07:32 PM, Nev wrote: Memento:

great movie

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-19 11:34:00

Watched Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.

It was okay. Not as good as the other movie, Razor.

Retold the events of the series from the mini-series through to the season 2 finale from the perspective of the Cylons. It fills in a few plot holes from the series (who Caprica Six met on Caprica in the miniseries, what happened to the Shelley Godfrey Six, who put Ellen Tigh on a ship out of Picon) but the problem is all the answer are boring. After promising fans would have to watch the whole series again after seeing this, I was expecting some earthshattering twist, but no, you just get little things like seeing Leoben listening in to Kara's wireless chatter to explain how he knows her when she interrogates him, or Cavil giving Doral the bomb he uses to blow himself up on Galactica.

The stuff showing the resistance fighters on Caprica was pretty cool. At least that was genuinely something new, rather than just spoon feeding you stuff you assumed happened when watching the series itself anyway.

6/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-20 07:37:41

At 10/15/09 09:56 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
I've ordered Fear(s) of the Dark (click my sig), which I should be getting in two weeks, because it's a DVD that's yet to come out. I wrote about the film before.

I've heard about that film, it's around the £6 mark in the UK. I might pick up a copy.

At 10/18/09 06:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
All I have for sure to watch is [Rec.], as far as movies I have not previously seen. maybe Drag Me to Hell,

They're both brilliant, you're in for a real treat with them two.

Had a Hammer Horror fest on Sunday - great films.

The Horror of Dracula - 8/10
The Brides of Dracula - 7/10
The Curse of Frankenstein - 9/10

Lee and Cushing are terrific.

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-22 19:19:48

I watched the 1988 remake of The Blob.

I like to think have a strong stomach when it comes to violence in films, however, this film is so fucking disgusting I felt sick watching it. In particular the guy who melts in the Blob at the beginning and another scene where a guy gets sucked down a sink.

Seeing Kevin Dillion with a meaty mullet was particularly amusing though.

Made me feel sick, but a good, solid horror pop-corn flick.

8/10

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-29 09:20:01

[Rec.] is pretty good. came out better than Quarantine did. And Zombieland is awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-10-29 09:40:08

Watched Unforgiven.

Definitely more "Gran Torino" than "For A Few Dollars More", which was a bit disappointing. Went in expecting badass western, instead got extremely well polished drama. Still good, just not what I thought I was going to be watching.

8/10

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-01 16:59:46

I watched Drag me to Hell, which I liked. Shame on me for expecting Sam Raimi to make a genuinely completely serious movie. It was good, but I would have liked it better if I knew beforehand to expect his out of the blue goofiness. I went in expecting critically acclaimed pure horror, but this was more like the Evil Dead movies (which I liked, of course). The end was too predictable and easy. As soon as she ran out of the car with the envelope without even thinking for a second to look inside, I was like "awwww". When it came, it shook me a bit anyway because of how it was done. I was all "oh fuck"

I also watched Cannibal Holocaust. Despite all the sick images of human beings being brutally murdered (some of that shit looked pretty realistic for a 1980 movie), the hardest thing to watch was one of a small animal being killed since it was real and it was so obviously a slow, horribly painful death for the thing from the way it was screaming in agony after getting stabbed. and there was the turtle...

daw but anumels r kild al duh time 4 food duh

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-01 17:02:54

At 11/1/09 04:59 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
daw but anumels r kild al duh time 4 food duh

You can't eat a tasty movie :).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-01 17:13:04

Couples of rewatches.

Ghostbusters - 8/10
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - 7/10
Wrath of Khan - 9/10

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-04 19:02:14

Pedo or not, Polanski is one hell of a director. I finally saw Rosemary's Baby and the Pianist. And I guess I neglected to mention a while ago that I saw Chinatown. They're all brilliant movies. Seeing Bob Evans in the interviews makes me want to see that show Kid Notorious again. Eh, it probably sucks, contrary to my memory.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-05 15:57:50

Saw my first Saw movie last night (the first one).
I think the basic premise of the film is good and the scenes in the bathroom/other torture venues were actually interesting.
Evertime it cut to some story build up however it just completely took you away from the moment and left me incredibly bored. The police bits are necessary to the plot, but watching someone take photos couldn't be any less enjoyable.
I genuinely didn't see the twist either, I went through every possibility but the one that actually happened.

I'm going to watch Saw II tonight cause I have nothing else to watch and hopefully it'll be more about the scenario than the events leading up to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-10 23:22:27

I watched the rest of the Saw pentology over the last 4 nights.
At first I thought 2 was better. I thought 3 was shitter. And 4 is the worst film I have ever seen. I actually thought 5 was pretty good. It was full of gratuitious gore, but I felt at least the whole moral dilemma part of the franchise was more present that it had been for the previous 3 films, which really were just torture porn with shitty twists and completely uninteresting plots.

But I don't really understand why 5 is considered the worst so far. I thought the story - while a bit convoluted - was better than any since the first. As were the characters. And for once people actually survived!

Anyway, shitty films and I'm glad I don't have to watch them again now. Though with the exception of 4 I did enjoy them all.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-11 03:49:16

Watched The Snapper and The 13th Warrior.

The 13 Warrior was okay. It's about this band of Vikings fighting Neanderthals, although this isn't made clear in the film, and you'd just think they were men if you hadn't read the book. All in all, it's another disappointing Michael Crichton book-to-film. Still decent, but not as good as it should have been.

The Snapper is the second part in Roddy Doyle's very loose Barrytown Trilogy, coming in between The Commitments and The Van. It's not as good as the other two, but Jimmy Rabbitte Sr (renamed "Dessie Curly" in this for copyright reasons) is such an amazing character, that it's still great.

BBS Signature