New Topic Respond to this Topic
SicllianNinJaG
SicllianNinJaG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Arts Club Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:42 PM Reply

Sorry for double post, I didn't want to fill up to much space that way no one can respond.

Anyways, we've done a few sessions of sparring, first I just let him go loose and I defended, the second time we sparred I was much more aggressive, but he held his own, I've never been more proud. The 3rd time we sparred I had my Sifu here to watch and consult, this time around NinjaS was more defensive, he did burst with some aggressive strikes but more-or-less he was on the defensive, it really just gave me an opportunity to show off my kicks to my Sifu. Oh, for the record, I'm about 5 ft 8, NinjaS is at least 6 ft 2, and he's got a reach from holy hell, so I really had no other choice but to use the distance that he was keeping from me to my advantage, my Sifu afterwards went over the form that I've been teaching NinjaS and corrected him on some steps, added some more and our next get-together should be either this week or this weekend. Needless to say, I look forward to it indeed.

But, enough of me, I'm more interested in what you all are learning and doing, I can't be the only active martial artist on NG can I? OH and before I forget, a post or 2 ago I said I'd put up some videos of sparring and bla-bla, well, that's easier said than done. The only camcorder I have doesn't even catch the movements, it must be out of focus or something, and I don't have the cash to fix it or replace it. So the best I could do is maybe record my form from the lap top and post, maybe some practice drills to give you all some tips on how to do your core, or how to isolate your triceps, or whatever it may be.

Anyways I have to get back to the daily grind so all of you, keep training hard and god bless. Maybe one day we'll spar eachother? :p
Oh, and just so you all know, I'm still just a kid. Only 17. And believe me, I'm not eager on releasing my identity, but I will just to show you that a geeky white boy like me can do this stuff, surely you can too. Below is a picture of me, sitting on my bed like I am now, taken from the laptops camera.

Martial Arts Club

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Martial Arts Club Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 13 days ago, SicllianNinJaG wrote: Very interesting indeed, I've personally never seen Escrima. What does it mostly consist of? Could you show me a video?

I'm not quite sure how to explain it... It's phillipino, resembles Muay Thai in a lot of ways. It also includes Kali stick/sword fighting.

Oh, and Tai Chi is something I hold in high regard, for I would very much like to get into it myself. I bought the Tao Te Ching a few weeks back, (Along with the Art of War and a couple Holmes novels,) and I've fallen in love with it, I swear. It's the Yin balance to the Yang of Art of War, which again, I hold the spiritual side of conflict in high regard, probably more so than the physical, look at it this way, before you learned martial arts, a kick was just a kick, a punch was just a punch, then it changed once you began, no longer were the kicks the same, or the punches. But after practicing the style, the kicks again became just kicks, and the punches just punches, it became commonplace. But it's exceptionally more difficult to train your spirit in the same matter as your body, and I believe 'softer' styles such as Tai Chi help you do exactly that. another style you should look into, Lagerkapo, is Qi Gong, purely to help you with Chi development and use. There are some health benefits as well, but you wont notice them until years down the road.

I've had few opportunities to engage in Qi Gong, but it does interest me. There's a Falun Gong group at my school which meets weekly and they're free but I've not yet attended. Falun Gong is a form of Qi Gong that became extremely popular in China, and because of the ease with which people were achieving health and power the chinese government started killing and abducting everyone known to have done it. There's also a theory, which is not entirely unbelieveable, that they harvest the organs of the extremely healthy people who do it.

Long story short, look up Falun Gong.

Keep training and god bless! We aren't just warriors here on this physical plain of existence, there's another battlefield waiting for us after death. Call it Valhalla if you will, but don't disregard that we are only being prepared for our next lifetime.

I don't know that it's a battlefield, or any sort of struggle, but I certainly do believe that we're reflective of our higher spiritual nature on all of the many planes we exist on.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Martial Arts Club Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

Ninja ninja ninja ninja... SCROLL!!!!

Actually, I've been learning traditional Viking combat lately, with the longsword and shield as well as the axe. It's super-effective against the traditional single-edged, light blade, no shield Bushido stuff I know, although my body is built much more for the light, fast, precision stuff of the Katana since I'm a smaller guy.

Basically, the shield is SUCH a huge advantage over anything at all (even if you COULD get through it, your weapon will stick and you will be disarmed then killed, not to mention that you can use it to be unpredictable since your opponent cannot see your weapon or body behind it).

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Arts Club Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 2/22/12 01:42 PM, SicllianNinJaG wrote: I will just to show you that a geeky white boy like me can do this stuff, surely you can too. Below is a picture of me, sitting on my bed like I am now, taken from the laptops camera.

That's it, kid. Mean mug so people can take you more seriously.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Martial Arts Club Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 6/12/12 09:45 PM, AngryBombshell wrote:
At 2/22/12 01:42 PM, SicllianNinJaG wrote: I will just to show you that a geeky white boy like me can do this stuff, surely you can too. Below is a picture of me, sitting on my bed like I am now, taken from the laptops camera.
That's it, kid. Mean mug so people can take you more seriously.

Dear, being a martial artist does not commit you to being violent. Sparring is a sport side of martial arts, indeed, but I do pertain to the view that it does not preside over the humble pacifism of doing those things. A white belt is a black belt so as long as he is committed and continues to learn and grow. There will be ups and downs, of course, but try to take it as part of a learning process. Every side of study is a tool that you can use to develop yourself from: you are not your rank or your qualifications.

Furthermore Newgrounds might be on the surface level a 'geeky' website (that opinion of Newgrounds I don't think has withstood since 04') but on the inside by no means is it full of pasted ginger white-boys like myself :3

No sir. Is Fro still around?

HI GUYS DID ANYBODY MISS ME?

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Martial Arts Club Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 08:49 AM Reply

I've been away at school, so I haven't been going to karate classes. I went for the first time this year about two weeks ago, and I've obviously been out of touch physically... I almost passed out in class last night. I thought I was just gonna throw up, but I didn't... and then everything started turning white. Kinda scary.

BBS Signature
Mason
Mason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Arts Club Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Just figured I'd pop in here considering I've been doing Kali for the past two years.

I'm not as good as I want to be and classes have been here or there but I enjoy doing it and I can hold my own against some of the people who have been doing twice as long.

TheZanmato
TheZanmato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Arts Club Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:03 AM Reply

I'm back! :) I want to tell you, that I quited Muay Thai... Now I train CQC (Close Quarters Combat). Do you think it's a good combination? ----> Wushu, Karate, Taekwondo, CQC

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Martial Arts Club Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:30 PM Reply

Hey to join must I practice in a pro place with a teacher and all. I mostly practice at home. Can someone just reply telling me the requirements for joining?

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Martial Arts Club Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

I started Bujinkan last week. I find it interesting because of its variety, hand to hand combat, judo, jujutsu. weapon techniques, ukemi and all kinds of things are included.

Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Arts Club Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 12:42 AM Reply

Judo, Karate, Aikido, Taekwondo, Zui Quan, Muy Thai, Boxing, and FreeStyle.

1-10 years experience.

Also, wish to find a sparring partner near me, its been awhile and want to start practicing again.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Martial Arts Club Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 09:25 PM Reply

I used to quite a bit of martial arts back in my day. It was a blend of different styles my master had picked up over his many years and it seemed well rounded enough. I should probably get back into it.

Anyways, I wonder about the effectiveness of grappling in a real street fight. It seems like the second you tried to wrestle a guy his friends would start stomping your head with their boots.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Arts Club Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 09:25 PM, Cootie wrote: I used to quite a bit of martial arts back in my day. It was a blend of different styles my master had picked up over his many years and it seemed well rounded enough. I should probably get back into it.

Anyways, I wonder about the effectiveness of grappling in a real street fight. It seems like the second you tried to wrestle a guy his friends would start stomping your head with their boots.

I do not recommend grappling in a street fight, unless its a style made for combat with multiple people.

Ground styles are the best at it though, since it makes it harder for them to catch you when your moving about fast and low.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Martial Arts Club Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:08 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 09:25 PM, Cootie wrote: I used to quite a bit of martial arts back in my day. It was a blend of different styles my master had picked up over his many years and it seemed well rounded enough. I should probably get back into it.

Depends on how many people there are and what their skill levels are. Against two guys, it can be advantageous to put one guy between you and the other (as they taught us in Systema) as a shield, sometimes even with three, Especially in tight spaces like small alleys, hallways, stairwells, bathrooms. In tight spaces and when cornered, one must generally consider that the route of escape will be through, not around or away from, their assailants. Backing yourself into a corner with one of the opponents locked up in an injurious hold is a gambit of desperation, but it is generally better than being flanked and surrounded (your number one threat). However, keeping one of them locked up with their shoulder/elbow/wrist broken/dislocated/terribly mangled (fingers work well for disabling, but once someone's finger/thumb is broken they can lose the impetus not to resist and wrest themselves away since they usually have the full power and leverage of their arm, the other arm and their body at their disposal and you've already broken it) and cattle-plowing with them through the other opponent(s) Can be effective, especially if they are friends who really care about one another and do not want you to injure their compatriot further. That said, never count on pity or mercy, either for you or amongst themselves. In an open space, however, your best bet is to use quick-injury techniques, minimize entanglement and get the fuck out.

When multiple people attack one, they generally rely on one another heavily instead of acting as tactically-individual combatants in cohesion with a group. They let one guy make first and primary contact and the rest will jump in and out, picking potshots, waiting for him to tangle you up, and they will almost immediately try to flank you and get behind you. Excepting trained or experienced fighters, or crazy nutshits on tweak, most people who will rove in packs or get into dumb fights in groups will shy away from any chance of getting hit or hurt if one of the group occupies the most threatened position of primary contact. Usually there's one powerful fighter who occupies alpha role and will be expected to engage. The most dangerous aspect is that they will instinctively move to get behind you, at which point their (generally) unorganized combat style will inevitably be effective. Keeping everyone on one side of you is one of the most important considerations in one-on-many combat, if not the most important, and if you can control one body and keep it in between you and the other you're halfway there. If you have someone in a chicken wing and he's screaming bloody murder over his dislocated shoulder and torn tendons and fascia, he's pretty much going to go wherever you put him with next to no resistance.

The key to minimizing entanglement is to keep your grappling at mid and long range (mid and long grappling range). Eg., no torso-to-torso contact. The exception is with throws and Judo techniques where hip and thigh contact are integral, but otherwise only grab hands and elbows until your control of the opponent's body is secured and you are either behind him or safely in control of him, then, if appropriate, contact the shoulder. Choking someone in a one-on-multiple scenario is highly disadvantageous, however there is an exception to every rule and sometimes one must choose a lesser evil over a greater one to survive an encounter.

Grappling techniques like key locks, wrist locks, finger holds and quick, minimal-entanglement maneuvers are perfectly applicable to such a situation. You just have to be willing to actually injure someone immediately with murderous force rather than simply submitting them with pain alone and increasing force by degrees. More than two guys, however, and the extent of your grappling should be wrist, finger, elbow and rarely shoulder techniques designed to break or dislocate quickly.

And, of course, Never go to the ground with one guy if there are any others still fighting. Ever.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Martial Arts Club Jul. 31st, 2013 @ 12:54 AM Reply

Alright, this thread's been tapped out for eight months now.

Bumpalicious

Anyone ever done Tai Chi? I've been teaching my friends push-hands (or, more appropriately, sensing-hands), which is all about softness and subtlety. It's gorgeous.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Martial Arts Club Aug. 15th, 2013 @ 03:34 PM Reply

Anybody?

I know this thread isn't dead.

BBS Signature