00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ppzalada33 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

438,304 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-16 14:01:19

I just watched the trailer and that looks really interesting. I really like Cage in roles where his character flies off the handle a lot. I joke that for every good movie Cage is in, he is in 10 bad ones, but this looks like one of those good ones.

Has anyone seen Doubt? I watched it a couple months ago thinking I would hate it, but it is one of the best films I have ever seen. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryll Streep are just phenomenal. I loved how the setting and atmosphere really added to the conflict between the priest and the sister. I was reading about it and I found out it was originally a play (I love watching and acting in plays) written and directed by John Patrick Shanley who also wrote and directed the film. That is great because I feel that there was no filter between the mind of the creator of the story and the final piece. I strongly recommend it.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-16 16:15:00

I just watched the animation movie Up. Supposed to be one of the best animation movies ever made and it's rated way higher than classics such as The Lion King and Toy Story on imdb. However, several friends of mine told me it really wasn't that much special and after watching it I kinda have to agree with them. I loved the first 40 minutes or so, but after that it kinda died on me. From that point the story started to take a few annoying sideplots which I just didn't like all that much.

Overall still enjoyable, but just not that special. When it comes to animation movies I still prefer Coraline.

At 11/15/09 03:25 PM, Nev wrote:
At 11/15/09 07:20 AM, Auz wrote: HP 1,2 and 3 were indeed pretty good. I really hated the 6th though, and from what I've heard it was a terrible book adaption. I heard they left some really crucial parts out and the movie itself seemed to focus mostly around Ron's lovestory which was very annoying. So I didn't like it at all personally.
I've never heard anyone say the 6th was a bad adaption. All the reviews I've heard have claimed it to be either THE best or second best (behind Azkaban). And I agree. Of course things were left out, they have to be, but it think it worked.

I haven't heard it from an official, professional review site, but my girlfriend who read the book was watching it with me. She didn't like it much either and told me all the stuff that was left out. I can hardly believe they cut out the big fighting scene at the end of the book, I think that really would have saved the movie (for me at least).

Never heard of it. Or do you mean The Wrestler (that movie from last year)?
Yes, I mean The Wrestler. Wrassling = Wrestling.

Oh alright. Sorry my English is not always that good :p I heard that film was a great also, definitely gonna watch it someday.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-16 17:52:20

My HMV student discount, which expired in September, has started working again. I have no idea why. The scheme doesn't even exist any more, it's been replaced by the HMV Pure rewards points thing, but it's started giving me 10% off everything again for some reason.

Ordered Leon and Lawrence of Arabia. Got to make good use of that student loan!

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-16 19:45:51

At 11/16/09 05:52 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Ordered Leon

I've heard a few of you banging on about Leon and I've held my tongue, until now..

The film has some great acting (I loved Gary Oldman's over-the-top performance) and the shoot-outs are fantastic. However, for me personally, the relationship between the girl and hitman is a piece of stinky cheese. Although, I've always had a problem with Luc Besson and his cheesy dialogue; I couldn't stand parts of The Fifth Element - a film which everybody seems to love.

Anyway, watched Training Day. It was pretty great, if a little, tiny bit overrated. Still very good.

"HEY MAN, EVER HAD YOUR SHIT PUSHED IN?"

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-17 04:55:01

At 11/16/09 07:45 PM, Jack wrote: Although, I've always had a problem with Luc Besson and his cheesy dialogue; I couldn't stand parts of The Fifth Element - a film which everybody seems to love.

I think you're watching it wrong. The Fifth Element is SUPPOSED to be extremely cheesey.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-17 19:51:50

At 11/17/09 04:55 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 11/16/09 07:45 PM, Jack wrote: Although, I've always had a problem with Luc Besson and his cheesy dialogue; I couldn't stand parts of The Fifth Element - a film which everybody seems to love.
I think you're watching it wrong. The Fifth Element is SUPPOSED to be extremely cheesey.

The first time I watched it, I thought it was supposed to be a comedy/parody.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-18 05:39:29

At 11/17/09 07:51 PM, cool154 wrote:
The first time I watched it, I thought it was supposed to be a comedy/parody.

From Wikipedia:
"The Fifth Element is a 1997 science fantasy, action-comedy, techno thriller film directed by Luc Besson."

It is a comedy.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-18 12:02:07

Been rewatching a lot of stuff recently as like TheMaster, I'm trying hard not to blow all my money on DVD's. Also to the guy asking about numbers, my current count is 566 with four in the post. Latest purchase was O' Brother Were Art Thou which came today.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-18 15:27:30

At 11/18/09 12:02 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Been rewatching a lot of stuff recently as like TheMaster, I'm trying hard not to blow all my money on DVD's. Also to the guy asking about numbers, my current count is 566 with four in the post.

God, I need to buy more movies. I don't really know what to buy at the moment though. I was thinking Goodfellas, American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, but they are all quite expensive at the moment.

Another movie I would perhaps like to see is Spirited Away. Not that I'm a fan of anime or anything, but if it won a fucking Oscar it's gotta be good. Just not sure about it because the trailer didn't impress me that much. Can any of you guys tell me if it would be a good purchase?

Latest purchase was O' Brother Were Art Thou which came today.

Brilliant movie :p

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-18 18:25:16

I haven't seen any movies lately that weren't re-watches. I've been doing series.

At 11/16/09 02:01 PM, boloneyman wrote: I just watched the trailer and that looks really interesting. I really like Cage

I'm already in disagreement here. except in Raising Arizona. He was good at not being annoying in that, and the movie was too good to be ruined by him.

At 11/13/09 06:28 AM, Auz wrote: Coen brothers.

The Coen Brothers are among my favorites. I've seen all of their movies except Intolerable Cruelty. looking forward to that new movie.

For the rest I got Requiem For A Dream, Office Space, Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and LA Confidential which I can also recommend in case you haven't seen those.

I thought those were all good.

At 11/14/09 06:54 AM, Auz wrote: I just saw Das Leben Der Anderen is gonna be on television tonight. A film that I've wanted to see for quite some time now =)

That movie is excellent.

At 11/16/09 01:10 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: It's good to see this club thriving.

I really ought to get started on Herzog movies. been meaning to. I saw that movie, Bad Lieutenant. I have it on VHS. wasn't bad, but could've done without Keitel's dong.

At 11/18/09 12:02 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Latest purchase was O' Brother Were Art Thou which came today.

awesome

At 11/18/09 03:27 PM, Auz wrote: Another movie I would perhaps like to see is Spirited Away. Not that I'm a fan of anime or anything, but if it won a fucking Oscar it's gotta be good.

That movie is amazing and so are most of Miyazaki's movies, but it looks like he's the only Japanese animator the Academy Awards have given any attention. There have been a few Japanese animated films over the years that were never even nominated that definitely at least deserved consideration for best animated film or best foreign film. All they care about is Ghibli stuff. It's pathetic. I was mad when Tekkon Kinkreet got ignored. fucking bullshit. And I don't think they've recognized Satoshi Kon or Kazuhiro Otomo for anything they've ever done. If only people could forget what they think they know about animation, especially Japanese.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-20 08:43:43

I watched snatch. last night. I thought it was a very enjoyable movie with some very funny scenes. I especially loved the scene with the black guys trying to rob the betting office and the scene with the three cars :p

At 11/18/09 06:25 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 11/13/09 06:28 AM, Auz wrote:
The Coen Brothers are among my favorites. I've seen all of their movies except Intolerable Cruelty. looking forward to that new movie.

I've seen quite a few, but not all of them. Still got Burn After Reading here on my shelf, I plan to watch it pretty soon. I would also love to see that new movie.

That movie is amazing and so are most of Miyazaki's movies, but it looks like he's the only Japanese animator the Academy Awards have given any attention. There have been a few Japanese animated films over the years that were never even nominated that definitely at least deserved consideration for best animated film or best foreign film. All they care about is Ghibli stuff. It's pathetic. I was mad when Tekkon Kinkreet got ignored. fucking bullshit. And I don't think they've recognized Satoshi Kon or Kazuhiro Otomo for anything they've ever done. If only people could forget what they think they know about animation, especially Japanese.

Yeah it doesn't seem like anime does that well in Hollywood. Like I said I'm not such a big fan of it myself, but I've heard of a few anime movies and series of which the story seemed very interesting to me.

Anyway, I guess I'll check Spirited Away out then someday.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-20 18:18:58

Yeah, I haven't seen it in years but I remember the whole thing being tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps a rewatch is needed.

Anyway Gentlemen, there is something you should know. I watched Twilight...and I fucking enjoyed it.

I can't say I've ever jumped on the Twilight hating bandwagon and I'm glad I haven't because for what it is, its perfectly fine. I highly doubt I'll ever investigate the books but I'll certainly watch New Moon once its on television.

Seriously, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

6/10

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-20 18:25:03

At 11/20/09 06:18 PM, Jack wrote: Seriously, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

You've got Dr. K on your side... he made a similar rant about New Moon today.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-20 18:35:42

At 11/20/09 06:25 PM, Nev wrote:
At 11/20/09 06:18 PM, Jack wrote: Seriously, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
You've got Dr. K on your side... he made a similar rant about New Moon today.

I love Kermode but I only agree with 60% of his reviews - he's right about Micheal Bay being the anti-Christ but wrong about Superbad and The Incredibles!

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-21 08:48:39

The Usual Suspects is gonna be on TV tonight. Another movie that I've wanted to watch for some time, but I'm not really in a film watching mood right now.

At 11/20/09 06:18 PM, Jack wrote: Anyway Gentlemen, there is something you should know. I watched Twilight...and I fucking enjoyed it.

I'm not sure who to believe anymore. First I heard loads of complaints from people how it sucked badly and how it ruined the vampire mythology. Now I suddenly hear loads of people saying that it was alright and see newspapers writing about what a big hit it is in America etc. Heck I even heard 'trend-watchers' saying that vampire looks are gonna be a new big hype everywhere =/

I guess it's about time that I watch it myself. I doubt that I'm gonna like it though. A teenage romance story with vampires doesn't sound very appealing to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-21 12:37:59

Watched Leon.

Pretty much what I expected. Good, not great. 8/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-21 18:45:29

Struggled to watch Boys Don't Cry. Not because it was a bad film, it was actually pretty decent. But there were at least three scenes that had me saying "fuck" and wincing and looking away. Odd stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-21 19:08:35

Watched Lawrence of Arabia.

Fantastic. Very few films could hold my attention for 3 hours 40 minutes, but this easily manages it. Incredibly good cast, too.

9/10, because some of the bits focussing on Lawrence's discomfort with bloodshed could have been handled better.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-22 14:24:55

Also, I totally just realised where I recognised the guy who played Leon from.

He was the French military guy in Godzilla!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-22 14:58:38

At 11/22/09 02:24 PM, TheMaster wrote:

Jean Reno?

I played the game Scene It for the first time last night, and I got a lot of complaints about how good I am at it.

I woke up today to people in the room I slept in watching Poseidon. I wasn't happy about that. We changed the channel and Pathfinder was on. It was an improvement but now much. Really good if you are looking for a First Blood kind of movie, but with Vikings. Entertaining, but not that good.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-22 15:13:31

I missed The Usual Suspects yesterday. I tuned in about half an hour too late and therefore didn't feel like watching it anymore. I think I'll just buy the DVD sometime.

At 11/22/09 02:24 PM, TheMaster wrote: Also, I totally just realised where I recognised the guy who played Leon from.

He was also in The Da Vinci Code. That guy always seems to play similar roles. It's like whenever they need a french guy for something, they call Jean Reno =/

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-22 16:00:14

At 11/22/09 02:58 PM, boloneyman wrote: I played the game Scene It for the first time last night, and I got a lot of complaints about how good I am at it.

I'd probably be really bad at it. At least 70% of the stuff I watch is sci-fi, and I watch vastly more TV series than I watch films. I'm the only person I know who prefers the serialised TV show format over a film for telling stories.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-24 14:41:09

Watched Anna M. on BBC iPlayer last night (its still up if anyone is interested).
It's a French film from 2007 about a gal who commits suicide and starts stalking her physiotherapist.

It's not great but I enjoyed it and never had a desire to turn it off. I had some problems reading the subtitles though as I thought the actress who plays Anna was beautiful, and I felt very sympathic to her before she started going mental, so I kept forgetting to read the subs.
Its worth a watch :).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-24 14:50:07

Yesterday a good old James Bond movie was on TV, The World is Not Enough. Seen it plenty of times already, but it's still very enjoyable. Gotta love those cheesy one-liners.

At 11/24/09 02:41 PM, Nev wrote: Watched Anna M. on BBC iPlayer last night (its still up if anyone is interested).
It's a French film from 2007 about a gal who commits suicide and starts stalking her physiotherapist.

Sounds interesting, but what kind of movie is it? Horror? Thriller? Fantasy? One of those mindfuck movies?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-24 16:44:01

At 11/24/09 02:50 PM, Auz wrote: Sounds interesting, but what kind of movie is it? Horror? Thriller? Fantasy? One of those mindfuck movies?

It says Thriller on the BBC website. But I expect a Thriller to be scary... so probably Thriller/Drama or something.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-25 06:44:39

Trying to decide whether to sell 2/3rd's of my dvd collection (about 400) as a joblot. Picked about 175 of my favorites plus about ten that I want to buy in the future. Reason being, I'm running out of space, I doubt I'll watch a lot of them more than once, I'm running out of money and blu-ray's gonna come make them obsolete within 5-10 years anyway. Might try and cash them in while there still worth something.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-25 11:13:21

At 11/24/09 04:44 PM, Nev wrote: It says Thriller on the BBC website. But I expect a Thriller to be scary... so probably Thriller/Drama or something.

Alright. It sounds pretty good, so I'll check it out if I stumble across it someday.

At 11/25/09 06:44 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Trying to decide whether to sell 2/3rd's of my dvd collection (about 400) as a joblot. Picked about 175 of my favorites plus about ten that I want to buy in the future. Reason being, I'm running out of space, I doubt I'll watch a lot of them more than once, I'm running out of money and blu-ray's gonna come make them obsolete within 5-10 years anyway. Might try and cash them in while there still worth something.

Well we can probably still use DVD's for a long time, but if you're sure you're not gonna watch those 400 anymore anyway you might as well sell them now. Like you said, they're probably not worth shit anymore in 10 years while you could easily catch over $1,000 for them now.

So I think I would sell them if I were you.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-25 15:12:23

At 11/20/09 06:18 PM, Jack wrote: Anyway Gentlemen, there is something you should know. I watched Twilight...and I fucking enjoyed it.
Seriously, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

6/10

I just came back from watching Twilight and I'll have to disagree with you on this. In my opinion it really was as bad as people say.

I thought that especially the story was very poor. For about 90% of the movie it was so boring and it takes like 50 minutes before it is finally revealed that Edward is a vampire while the entire audience knows this already. Then in the second half of the movie, nothing really happens beside about 5 minutes of action scenes which weren't very impressive at all.

Furthermore I thought the side-characters were annoying and flat. Except for Bella's father who was alright.

I'd say 4/10. It's only good for girls who just hit puberty, but other than that it's garbage.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-25 17:03:25

At 11/24/09 09:42 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Don't you mean suspenseful or sensational? Horror is for scariness or repulsiveness.

Maybe thats what it means. But based on the Michael Jackson song I'd say a Thriller should be like subtle horror... like The Shining. Or Se7en.

And not horror as in blood and gut, but something to shake you up.

Se7en is obviously a better example, but there is a threat in the plot, in the form of a serial killer. In Anna M. she's just a depressed stalker whos deluded herself into love. There's not any thrill or anything.

If I had to compare it to a film I'd compare it to A Beautiful Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-25 18:16:24

At 11/25/09 03:12 PM, Auz wrote:
I just came back from watching Twilight and I'll have to disagree with you on this. In my opinion it really was as bad as people say.

I'd say 4/10. It's only good for girls who just hit puberty, but other than that it's garbage.

Awesome but I disagree.

You're quite right, the film is aimed at screaming teenaged girls - not a grumpy, male asshole like myself. However for exactly what it is - I think its well done.

Also, I thought he side characters were interesting - not so much Bella's friends but Edward's family, I'd like to see more of them.

ANYWAY, rewatched High Fidelity - still a great film.

8/10

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature