00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fluffymofo808 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

437,594 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-11 14:18:58

13th Warrior is badass.

Saw...They shouldn't have made sequels.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-11 18:23:02

13th Warrior is great. I'm about to watch one of my favorite movies of all time though, High Tension. It's a french movie about these two college girls that go and stay with one of the girls family and it ends up being a Texas Chainsaw Massacre style setting. I like it much more though because it feels a lot more realistic. There's no sci fi elements, nothing like that. There's just a dude with blunt and or sharp objects that feels like killing everybody. The plot is good enough to stick with and it doesn't shy away from the visual aspects if that plot doesn't hold your attention. All in all, it's one of the scariest movies you'll ever see IMO. It's part of that new French genre that is all about being as gory as possible. Definitely a great watch.
10/10

Anyone else ever seen this film?

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 14:42:30

Yeah, so I just brought a new TV, and the first movie i had to watch on it was one of my favourite all timers.......LEON :D

What an awesome movie. I never get tired of watching it! 10/10

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 15:07:57

This seems like a fine club to me. I would love to join if that's alright with everyone. I have been trying to build a decent DVD collection for a while now and I would love to hear recommendations and discuss movie's with you guys.

So, can I join?

At 10/29/09 09:40 AM, TheMaster wrote: Watched Unforgiven.

Definitely more "Gran Torino" than "For A Few Dollars More", which was a bit disappointing. Went in expecting badass western, instead got extremely well polished drama. Still good, just not what I thought I was going to be watching.

8/10

That movie was not quite what I had expected either, but I loved the last few scenes. Not sure, but I believe Clint Eastwood is pretty good at making awesome endings for his movies. I've also seen his Space Cowboys a while ago and although it's only a mediocre movie, the ending was really well done imo.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 15:21:47

At 11/12/09 03:07 PM, Auz wrote: I have been trying to build a decent DVD collection

Let's be best friends.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 16:06:32

At 11/11/09 06:23 PM, michelinman wrote: Anyone else ever seen this film?

lolyeah. brb masturbatin' with severed heads.

At 11/12/09 02:42 PM, Life-Stream wrote: LEON

love that movie

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 20:26:54

Rewatched Aliens. Still perfect. 10/10.

Disc was skipping in places. Might have to pick up another copy. Don't know whether to hold out of a Blu-ray release, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 20:44:38

At 11/12/09 08:26 PM, TheMaster wrote: Rewatched Aliens. Still perfect. 10/10.

It's a shame it lacks tiny white pants :(.
And it has a few flaws I think Alien doesn't have - ie, jocks and ladyboys. So I think Alien is the better film, but I'll admit to enjoying Aliens more... if that makes sense.

Got me some films to watch too: - I would start tonight but I've got a nasty case of tooth ache and I want to enjoy them with some ice cream. But theres no way I'm putting something so sugary in my mouth at the moment.

The Wrestler
Gran Torino
9 Songs

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 20:57:08

At 11/12/09 08:44 PM, Nev wrote: It's a shame it lacks tiny white pants :(.
And it has a few flaws I think Alien doesn't have - ie, jocks and ladyboys. So I think Alien is the better film, but I'll admit to enjoying Aliens more... if that makes sense.

Please, Hudson and Vasquez both rock. Almost all of their lines are gold.

The Wrestler

I've got this to watch, too. Don't know when I'll get round to it, working through Deep Space Nine season 5 at the minute, and I think I'm going to start on Breaking Bad afterwards.

Gran Torino

Good film.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 21:07:43

At 11/12/09 04:06 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 11/11/09 06:23 PM, michelinman wrote: Anyone else ever seen this film?
lolyeah. brb masturbatin' with severed heads.

Yeah. That movie doesn't shy away from anything. It's fucking crazy. Haha.

At 11/12/09 02:42 PM, Life-Stream wrote: LEON
love that movie

I'm bored, and you guys have intrigued me. I'm off to watch the trailer of this movie and see if I'm interested in watching it. (God I love netflix)

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-12 21:12:49

Leon is something I've been wanting to see for a while, but it was out of print for ages, but I've just checked and it was re-released in September.

Ordering.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 05:59:48

At 11/12/09 03:21 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 11/12/09 03:07 PM, Auz wrote: I have been trying to build a decent DVD collection
Let's be best friends.

So you're a collector as well?

Anyway a few days ago I finally watched Watchmen. Thought it was very good for a superhero movie.

I could imagine why some people would think this is the best graphic novel ever written, the story was really good in my opinion. I especially loved how the heroes didn't actually seem like heroes, but more like humans who happen to have superpowers. They weren't particularly on the good or evil side either. The general dark atmosphere was also nice and pretty unique for these type of movies. The only thing I didn't like much was the silly "villain explaining his master plan at the end". And Dr. Manhattan was a bit of a letdown to me as a character. I just didn't find his personality that interesting.

Overall I think I'd give it a 9/10. It seems a bit underrated to me (on imdb at least, with a 7.8 score). But most of the critical comments were once again about the book being much better and that kinda shit.

Anyway, I also bought some new movies a few days ago. I got American History X for a low price due to Christmas sales ^^ Also got Snatch and Burn After Reading (I love the Coen brothers' work).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 06:07:23

At 11/13/09 05:59 AM, Auz wrote: So you're a collector as well?

Yeah, for about 3-4 years now. 360 DVDs and counting.

Used to be an ace DVD thread here over in general, but it was locked.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 06:28:44

At 11/13/09 06:07 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 11/13/09 05:59 AM, Auz wrote: So you're a collector as well?
Yeah, for about 3-4 years now. 360 DVDs and counting.

Used to be an ace DVD thread here over in general, but it was locked.

Jesus Christ. I just saw your blog post and that's a pretty impressive collection you got there. I only started collecting recently so currently I only have about 30 DVD's in my personal collection and my parents got about an equal amount downstairs. Also got a friend who has about as many as you have, so I watch a lot of movies there.

It seems I got a quite a few DVD's you don't have though. I see no Coen brothers movies in there for example, I wonder why that is. They're great directors and writers and surely you must've heard of The Big Lebowski. It's a really awesome movie, you should definitely watch it sometime if you haven't already. I can also recommend O Brother Where Art Thou?, Fargo and No Country For Old Men, from the same Coen brothers.

For the rest I got Requiem For A Dream, Office Space, Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and LA Confidential which I can also recommend in case you haven't seen those.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 06:37:00

At 11/13/09 06:28 AM, Auz wrote: It seems I got a quite a few DVD's you don't have though. I see no Coen brothers movies in there for example, I wonder why that is. They're great directors and writers and surely you must've heard of The Big Lebowski. It's a really awesome movie, you should definitely watch it sometime if you haven't already. I can also recommend O Brother Where Art Thou?, Fargo and No Country For Old Men, from the same Coen brothers.

Eh, I watched Big Lebowski on TV, and didn't think that much of it. Maybe it was just how much it's hyped up, but I only thought it was decent, not great.

For the rest I got Requiem For A Dream, Office Space, Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and LA Confidential which I can also recommend in case you haven't seen those.

Been meaning to watch Office Space for a while. Never looked into the rest.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 08:33:51

At 11/13/09 06:28 AM, Auz wrote: The Big Lebowski

One of my favourite films - can't wait to see A Serious Man.

Requiem For A Dream,

Good film, although fairly hard to watch at times.

Office Space,

Quite good.

Magnolia,

Great film, the opening 10 minutes is an example of some of the greatest film making ever - 'These strange things happen all the time..'

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Another favourite film of mine.

LA Confidential

Brilliant, although I haven't seen it in ages.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 10:58:05

At 11/13/09 06:37 AM, TheMaster wrote: Been meaning to watch Office Space for a while. Never looked into the rest.

Office Space is the most relaxing movie you will ever watch in your life. Every time I get stressed out about work or some shit like that, I just think of Peter Gibbons and him not giving any sort of a fuck whatsoever. He's one of my heroes. Also: O face. OH OOOH OOOOOOH! Haha. But seriously, if I could only own one DVD for the rest of my life, Office Space would damn sure be in the running. Go watch it now.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 11:02:27

At 11/13/09 06:37 AM, TheMaster wrote: Eh, I watched Big Lebowski on TV, and didn't think that much of it. Maybe it was just how much it's hyped up, but I only thought it was decent, not great.

Well then you're the first person I know who doesn't think The Big Lebowski is awesome. Maybe you should watch it again someday, I remember I missed a lot of jokes and little things the first time I watched it.

At 11/13/09 08:33 AM, Jack wrote:
At 11/13/09 06:28 AM, Auz wrote: The Big Lebowski
One of my favourite films - can't wait to see A Serious Man.

The Big Lebowski is one of my favorites as well. A Serious Man is also on my list of movies I would like to see in the near future (along with Where The Wild Thing Are and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus).

Magnolia,
Great film, the opening 10 minutes is an example of some of the greatest film making ever - 'These strange things happen all the time..'

I didn't quite get those opening scenes at first, until I looked up what the ending meant. After that I thought it was brilliantly done.

LA Confidential
Brilliant, although I haven't seen it in ages.

I wouldn't call it as brilliant as the other movies I mentioned, but it was very good.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 14:01:58

At 11/13/09 05:59 AM, Auz wrote: But most of the critical comments were once again about the book being much better and that kinda shit.

The book is much better, but thats not the reason its poo. It's poo because it does nothing different to the book. The dialogue is the exactly the same, the shots are exactly the same. The only thing that is different is the ending, and thats vastly inferior to the books.
I thought it was a really shoddy film.

At 11/13/09 06:37 AM, TheMaster wrote: Eh, I watched Big Lebowski on TV, and didn't think that much of it. Maybe it was just how much it's hyped up, but I only thought it was decent, not great.

Perhaps check out Fargo?
Personally I prefer Lebowski, but Fargo did better with awards and critics.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 14:53:12

At 11/12/09 09:12 PM, TheMaster wrote: Leon is something I've been wanting to see for a while, but it was out of print for ages, but I've just checked and it was re-released in September.
Ordering.

ZOMG, you haven't seen it? Well, let me tell you, that's a purchase you shouldn't regret. Ever since i saw that movie like 10 years ago, it was an instant favourite. I've seen it atleast 5 times since, and love it every time.......maybe it's just me, but i think it's awesome.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 17:55:59

I went and saw Surrogates the other day. Ot wasn't bad, but I didn't really like that the camera was always filled with perfect people.

But that's the point they're trying to get across, right?

I also thought it was kind of short, only like an hour and ten minutes, which made it just fell like a long episode of "Star Trek" or something.

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 18:11:07

After you guys mentioning DVD collections I was curious to how many I have. I was expecting to have about 50 or so. Turns out I have 116.

Sadly, I think the last one I bought was the three Indiana Jones box set back in May. Buying films was so much easier when I lived pretty much across the road from a branch of HMV and had a nice fat student loan to waste.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 18:14:37

At 11/13/09 06:11 PM, Nev wrote: Sadly, I think the last one I bought was the three Indiana Jones box set back in May. Buying films was so much easier when I lived pretty much across the road from a branch of HMV and had a nice fat student loan to waste.

I've been desperately trying not to spend my student loan on DVDs. It's been okay so far, but I'm running out of my own money, and might need to start eating into it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 18:18:31

At 11/13/09 06:14 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've been desperately trying not to spend my student loan on DVDs. It's been okay so far, but I'm running out of my own money, and might need to start eating into it.

At the end of last year I had a grand left over. And I didn't have a job or any money previous saved either.

I got quite a lot of support though because of my families low income.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-13 18:25:56

At 11/13/09 06:18 PM, Nev wrote:
At 11/13/09 06:14 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've been desperately trying not to spend my student loan on DVDs. It's been okay so far, but I'm running out of my own money, and might need to start eating into it.
At the end of last year I had a grand left over. And I didn't have a job or any money previous saved either.

I got quite a lot of support though because of my families low income.

I've not touched my loan yet, been living on money mooched off parents.

I'm down to about £30 cash and £150 in the bank now, though, so I'll have to start using it soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-14 06:54:58

I just saw Das Leben Der Anderen is gonna be on television tonight. A film that I've wanted to see for quite some time now =)

At 11/13/09 02:01 PM, Nev wrote:
At 11/13/09 05:59 AM, Auz wrote: But most of the critical comments were once again about the book being much better and that kinda shit.
The book is much better, but thats not the reason its poo. It's poo because it does nothing different to the book. The dialogue is the exactly the same, the shots are exactly the same. The only thing that is different is the ending, and thats vastly inferior to the books.
I thought it was a really shoddy film.

Well if they would've changed it a lot, they would probably start complaining again about how it is nothing like the book. I think those book readers will never be satisfied, no matter how well they adapt the story. Thus I try not to pay too much attention to their complaints.

And as a neutral watcher, I thought the movie was very enjoyable.

At 11/13/09 06:11 PM, Nev wrote: Buying films was so much easier when I lived pretty much across the road from a branch of HMV and had a nice fat student loan to waste.

I'm still living with my parents so I get plenty of money to waste on films. Although my monthly support isn't that high, only about 110 euro's.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-14 14:02:13

At 11/14/09 06:54 AM, Auz wrote: I think those book readers will never be satisfied, no matter how well they adapt the story.

Ain't that the truth :P.

There are a few good films from bookers though. The first three and most recent in the Harry Potter series are good adaptions. Ultimately, not as good as the books, but still very good.
And the three Lord of the Rings film are vastly superior to the books in my opinion.

And The Wrassler is great. I agree with Mick Foley's comments that Rourke stops being Rourke and totally becomes The Ram. Fantastic performce. And Marisa Tomei has great boobs for her age :).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-15 07:20:15

So I watched Das Leben Der Anderen yesterday. It's not really my kind of movie, but it was pretty good. And beside the very emotional story (which I'm not a big fan of), it even had some funny moments. I think I'd give it an 8 out of 10 if I had to rate it.

At 11/14/09 02:02 PM, Nev wrote: Ain't that the truth :P.

There are a few good films from bookers though. The first three and most recent in the Harry Potter series are good adaptions. Ultimately, not as good as the books, but still very good.

HP 1,2 and 3 were indeed pretty good. I really hated the 6th though, and from what I've heard it was a terrible book adaption. I heard they left some really crucial parts out and the movie itself seemed to focus mostly around Ron's lovestory which was very annoying. So I didn't like it at all personally.

And The Wrassler is great. I agree with Mick Foley's comments that Rourke stops being Rourke and totally becomes The Ram. Fantastic performce. And Marisa Tomei has great boobs for her age :).

Never heard of it. Or do you mean The Wrestler (that movie from last year)?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-15 15:25:21

At 11/15/09 07:20 AM, Auz wrote: HP 1,2 and 3 were indeed pretty good. I really hated the 6th though, and from what I've heard it was a terrible book adaption. I heard they left some really crucial parts out and the movie itself seemed to focus mostly around Ron's lovestory which was very annoying. So I didn't like it at all personally.

I've never heard anyone say the 6th was a bad adaption. All the reviews I've heard have claimed it to be either THE best or second best (behind Azkaban). And I agree. Of course things were left out, they have to be, but it think it worked. Unlike Order where the omissions really hurt the story.
A bit of criticism came about the difference in the ending and the whole Harry not being paralyzed but still not acting.

But yeah. I really enjoyed it.

Never heard of it. Or do you mean The Wrestler (that movie from last year)?

Yes, I mean The Wrestler. Wrassling = Wrestling.

Also, Gran Torino wasn't as good as I was expecting. Not that it was bad. I was just expecting my mind to be blown. Clint's sweet though. His performance was like the blackest piece of comedy ever :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2009-11-15 16:17:55

I enjoy discussing the complexities of the cinema.

I'll try and list off just ten favorites.

Sin City, Lucky Number Slevin, Big Fish, 300, Watchmen, Detroit Rock City, Hook, Shawshank Redemption, and Matchstick Men.

There is a few more I'd like to mention as my favorites but I'll mention them later. So am I in?

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature