00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,627 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-05 23:46:23

If someone could give me some advice here:

I absolutely love jazz, but this is my first jab at the genre and I'm totally stuck.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-06 17:56:51

At 12/5/12 11:46 PM, SilverPoyozo wrote: If someone could give me some advice here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/514004
I absolutely love jazz, but this is my first jab at the genre and I'm totally stuck.

Not bad for a first try! I really liked the piano progression, as well as the bass in the background. My only complaint would be the drum patterns you used. During parts of the piece, I felt the drums to be inconsistent and not as jazz-like

Then again, I don't listen to much jazz so I may be wrong.

I'm a noob.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-08 13:02:57

At 10/6/12 04:34 PM, Jurgen wrote: Hey guys, I would reall appreciate some help as I have no idea where to go with this track. I don't know if it should keep it's relaxed mood or pick up the pace or what...

Link

Hell I don't even know what genre to make it.

This is a great track! As far as genre, I would say it could go anywere from R&B to electronica...all depending on what more you do with it.

For example: right at 30 seconds, it sounds like that would be a great part to bring in a beat....any sort of beat. maybe a simple kick...snare.....kick...snare.

If i were you, i would add another melody at the 30 sec mark along with a beat and see where it takes you.

I see music as making something that sounds great and building on it, whether it is adding something after what sounds good or layering something over what sounds good.

good work and keep it up!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-08 13:34:40

Hey guys I got some problems with creating phat and full sounding dubstep basslines. Somehow my bass always sounds empty... Anyone here got a good tutorial for that? I guess I got to layer different basslines, right now I just use one track for the Wobble and 1 Track for the Subbass. Anyone can link to a good tutorial on that or just give me some basic hints? Thanks a lot in advance!

This problem is more general, occuring in every single of my productions, as a demonstration here is my newest w.i.p.:

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-31 13:02:25

I need help finishing off this track - I would appreciate any advice

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-01 14:40:54

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-02 03:00:35

I'm about ready to toss this thing... can anyone give me some advice on what to do with it so that it doesn't suck?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-02 15:52:49

At 12/5/12 09:31 PM, ToxInjection wrote:

While I'm here, could you guys also come and leave me some critique on my track? It's my first time trying out trap, so I could use all the help I can get!
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/629983

I don't really listen to trap but I hope I can help.
The kick stands out a bit in the beginning. Maybe use a high pass filter, but @ the strings (14secs) bypass the filter and unleash the full kick.
I like the way the strings come in as well as the transition @ 25secs, but the synth seems a bit weak imo. maybe layer it with another/different synth that plays an octave lower.
High hats sound good, no complaints.
I like the synth @ 53secs. Goes nicely with the strings, but again could use more meat.
Its good overall, but could benefit from a bass (if there's a subbass I can't tell, I'm using small speakers =P)

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-02 17:05:21

Here's my WIP.

If you decide to critisize, please mention the transition @ 23secs. I need help there especially.
Thanks

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-03 01:33:25

At 8keep:

Heres my first piece of music I've attempted. It was mostly just to practice using the features of the DAW.

Could benefit from some compression to make it sound less wishy-washy.

Also your main synth (the one laying down the chords) is a bit muddy. Try EQ'ing it higher or try to make it less complex (as in the actual notes) in the lower range. Maybe use octaves. remember you've got a bass running aswell. Any complexity not in the melody should be to either give (tonal) rhythm or reinforce the melody with a chord.

Pitch-bend is good, but note directly after it is kinda loud/out the mix.

I like the arpeggio @ 30secs and I enjoyed the melody in general as well as the steady chords.

maybe make this a loop instead of a 50 second song. That way you don't have to end with a crash

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-04 02:09:06

Hi!

I have a work in progress to review. However this is only for experimental concern on me using orchestral soundfonts, so I won't publish it for commercial work (feel free to download and copy and stuff). I publish it so that anyone can review the progress.

Its a combination of Skyrim, Final Fantasy 8 & 13, and Chrono Cross, so you might hear some of those notes and feelings in it if you play the games. Then again, I need to know how this orchestra piece works out on any of you and how you feel about it, and for that I thank you!

Note that this is only the intro of the music, like 1/4 of it.

And since I read at the first post AP only for finished work, in which this one is only less than half of the work, so I put in on SoundCloud if you don't mind: https://soundcloud.com/mychiilist/ready-for-battle-wip

Thanks again. :D

"Always do your best!"

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-04 16:44:37

Hey everyone, any advice for how to improve the transitions in this?

Thanks for any advice!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-05 13:34:09

Hey guys,

So I'm pretty much done with this track at the composition stage, but I'd really like some feedback about the mixing/mastering. If somebody could tell me a little about that, I'd greatly appreciate it. Prease and thanx?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-14 09:07:23

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-16 18:20:43

At 1/14/13 09:07 AM, TellentStudio wrote: Hey Guys! It is cinematic genertracks of combitation dubstep, orchestral y etc. If you like and can me give advice just tell or ask me!

Well, I'm not the right guy to talk to when it comes to dubstep but your last submission I think is awesome! I thoroughly enjoy Ambient, and the title of this song fits it very well. Nicely done! No advice to give other than keep it up.

Here is a metal song I'm working on. I'm trying to get a little more creative when it comes to programming drums and be a little less repetitive when it comes to my guitars!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-17 18:47:17

Hey all,

I wouldn't consider this a WIP, but certainly need your advice. I've noticed that this track of mine has a score of less than 3, and I was just curious as to why. Could anyone give me some pointers, please?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-18 12:10:48

I wouldn't consider this a WIP, but certainly need your advice. I've noticed that this track of mine has a score of less than 3, and I was just curious as to why. Could anyone give me some pointers, please?

I'm not a dance expert but some of the voices you used in this seemed a little harsh to the ear. Your structure is very professional sounding if this makes sense but the sounds were pretty stern. Maybe that's just Acid Dance and I'm not hearing it the way I should.

On another note I'm trying to be more technical with guitars. It's apparent that I suck at the instrument and am working endlessly to get better. This is my attempt at a more technical sound I guess:

Is it less boring than my previous crap?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-19 02:24:00

Hey I have this WIP for a contest on the Audio Forums. I don't know the genre but I want to say electronic/techno.

Please either pm, comment here or review the song. I will gladly comment and/or review a piece of yours in exchange. I work for a studio produciing pop and rap tracks but this is the kind of music I write for me, and eventually want to release an album. I feel like I could have some female vocals in place of the main synth sound but not sure.

Thanks!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-19 17:24:41

At 1/17/13 06:47 PM, Juicebomb wrote: Hey all,

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/519486

Personally, I like it, so it could be either zero-bombing or people just don't like it. Also, experiment with cutting the strings out automatically, and not letting the reverb tail affect it.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-21 13:45:38

Hello I have two that need help developing, there rough atm, thanks.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-21 18:39:24

This was (and is still being) written for DREAM SPLENDOR. yah.
Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

In fact, I might even give you a cookie. :P

I'm a noob.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-21 22:45:36

I'm going to post this here in the hopes that people actually browse these topics, but other than that this remix is basically done. Just need to improve on some of the transitions and maybe change a synth. So in the mean time, there is this preview.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-22 21:31:07

At 1/21/13 10:45 PM, StaticLF wrote: I'm going to post this here in the hopes that people actually browse these topics, but other than that this remix is basically done. Just need to improve on some of the transitions and maybe change a synth. So in the mean time, there is this preview.
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/643527

Sounding good but I'd work on EQing and compressing those drums. This track could really benefit from a super solid kick/snare. The original song is a drum and bass track. DNB always focuses on those super shiny polished heavy ass drums. Sidechain them to the front, then layer a few more kick/snare drums in there that hit different areas of the spectrum. EQ, compress, rinse and repeat. Feed that drum kit until it's nice and fat <3

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-22 21:35:42

At 1/21/13 06:39 PM, CzeryWassierSwizier wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/643442
This was (and is still being) written for DREAM SPLENDOR. yah.
Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

In fact, I might even give you a cookie. :P

Sounding really bassy and round. I might try brightening things up with a new clap layer/ EQing what you got. Also; sidechain sidechain sidechain. I'd put more emphasis on them drumz. Compress, EQ, distort, filter. Play :)

quarl BandCamp

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-25 14:58:47

Could anyone tell me what exactly is this missing? It's supposed to be a soundtrack for one of my games(that don't exist yet). It seems to ber missing something, and I'm completely stuck.

https://soundcloud.com/marian-ivanov-3/rootsoftwo2

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-25 16:55:45

At 1/22/13 09:35 PM, Quarl wrote:
Sounding really bassy and round. I might try brightening things up with a new clap layer/ EQing what you got. Also; sidechain sidechain sidechain. I'd put more emphasis on them drumz. Compress, EQ, distort, filter. Play :)

Thanks! This was exactly what I looking for.

I'm a noob.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-26 12:05:54

Hi, I have a WIP under heat of apocalyptic inspiration, and I would like constructive criticism on my project:

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-26 13:22:03

I have this and im working on it right now, do you guys have any suggestions?:

https://soundcloud.com/fs_tone/indigo-preview

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-01-26 14:47:08

Sorry everyone. I made a mistake with my old song. The harsh sounds caused a lot of ear PMS'ing. I was broken-hearted by the amount of brave ears that were left only injured, muddled and angry. To redeem myself, I made a small piano piece as a WIP and an apology aswell as a gateway to a great start in my musical adventures.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2013-02-16 21:38:12

I've been messing around in FL Studio. Tell me what you think if you guys like it i'll post download links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpGjXjGIyU4&list=PLeNh4AFwFRX 0aPWyVIFFyIINcWsUBbjiM