00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Static73 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac7 - November

39,383 Views | 639 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 09:28:51

Welcome to the

Monthly Audio Contest 2007 - November DnB / AMBIENT theme.

Mac7 - November

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 09:30:21

Genre contest?
- We decided to venture further into the popular genres of Drum n Bass and Ambient, to see what you people can come up with! Both genres are well known and are reasonably characteristic. Usually, the MAC themes are related to NG's flash-world one way or another. The MAC's started out with an Open Theme last year so we figured we'd carry this on and take a break from the "flash-related" contests with this months competitioion. We're slimming it down a little by limiting this MAC to two genres to make it easier for the judges and, in the end, get a more fair outcome. There is definitley room for other genre-themed contests in the future, but first things first...

What is DnB?

DnB stands for "Drum n Bass", and is a fast-paced genre, commonly with a breakbeat at its foundation. Most often a powerful bass and high-energy drums are the most important parts of DnB, but the genre has come a long way since it's birth after the jungle-era. Basicly, DnB usually rocks out a high BPM and some songs between 160-200+ bpm (Beats per Minute) can be found.

If you're completley new to the genre, I suggest you start out by checking the DnB Audio Submissions that can be found right here on NG;

If you still is uncertain of what DnB really is about, you could always tune in to Bassdrive, DnBRadio.com or another DnB radiostation, while reading up on the genre on Wikipedia. Another good genre-guide is Ishkurs guide to electronic music.
Also, there's a DnB Club right here on NG, for appreciation of the genre and it's artists.

What is Ambient?
- Ambient mean "surrounding", and is a good description of what the genre sounds like. Ususally Ambient songs are slow and moody pieces, sometimes without a beat and generally very calm and mellow. A lot of ambient music is computer/synth generated but some tracks are still made with conventional instruments.

Again, if you're new to the genre or aren't certain what Ambient should be, NG also has an impressive collection of Ambient Audio Submissions

About the Contest this month
- The contest theme is quite open as long as your song(s) are easily recognized as fitting into the genre-choices of the month.

- You will recieve a harder judgement if your contest submission(s) clearly is outside the given genre(s), but then again, they're both quite wide, so stay creative!

- Many flash-artists have shown to have a lot of usage for these two genres, and since the MAC has grown fairly big on NG, it's good extra exposure for your audio.

Awards

This time, we have two genres, EACH GENRE WILL HAVE #1 - 5! So the awards is given for each genre;

#1. $150, a T-shirt and stickers
#2. $75, a T-shirt and stickers
#3 - 5 a T-shirt and stickers

- Front Page Spots for the top two songs of each genre.

- We'll continue the tradition with the custom-made BBS signature picture, crafted by Metalcan.

- The winners will be announced by the bastardized and constantly drunk radiogrounds.com DJ PsychoGoldfish as usual!

Entering the Contest, Basic Rules
1 - Check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. If you still are unsure what's OK to upload and what's not, check this thread. Basically, you must not submit material that include samples you have no copyright/permission to use.

2 - Make a song according to these rules! Your song(s) can be as long or short as you wish, remember that NG now has an 8 meg. limit for each song!

3 - Submit the song to the NG Audio Portal.

4 - Go to this thread and post a link to your songpage. You risk not getting noticed and added to the list of submissions if you do not post links to your songs. Also include the audio title.

5 - For this contest, you are allowed to submit up to two songs in each genre. It's appreciated if they are submitted to the contest within the same post (makes it easier to make the list), but not a must.

6 - Do not break any of the rules stated in this thread. If you intend on submitting with different profiles, notify LJCoffee or Rucklo about this. If we find out that you break the rules, you risk being disqualified from this contest. Depending on how serious your actions are, you might get banned from the contest for some time. Basic BBS rules apply in this thread too, of course. If there are posts that are irrelevant for the contest/spam, a moderator will clean it up. This mean your post(s) might get deleted, and you risk getting banned from the NG BBS. All according to the BBS rules and the forum specific Audio Forum rules.

7 - You should have your submission signed up for the contest in this thread by November 24th. If you cannot post for one reason or another, PM or e-mail LJCoffee or Rucklo, enter a valid reason why you can't do it yourself, and we'll see to it that your contest entry is in. To make it even clearer; - No submissions will be accepted after November 24th. This is so that we can allow a week to judge all submissions and get the results broadcast by the end of the month.

8 - It is now possible to update songs that have been submitted to the contest, and you are allowed to do so, however as of Nov. 24th no more updates are allowed. The songs will be downloaded by this time, and distributed amongst the judges (or if they choose to download the songs themselves) to avoid the risk of somone updating the song post deadline.

9 - Five - eight songs/genre will make it to the final and actually receive judgment and get scored. The fewer the songs the judges have to judge, the more fair the end result is going to be. Basicly, we will have to wait and see how many contest entries, it is possible that the final round will have a different number of contestants in the genres.

10 - LOL

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 09:31:21

Extra notes
- The judging will be done similiar to prevous MAC's, obviously songs in the different genres will be treated differently. Personal taste of the judges will be a factor, technical difficultie, overall sound... The usual, really. :)

- Rules, guidelines and other things related to this contest may change as time goes by. If anything changes, you will find out by staying updated to this thread.

- If you have any bright ideas for future MACs, don't be shy to PM LJCoffee or Rucklo
with your ideas.

MAC7 - October Crewmembers and their function.
MaestroRage - Trusted co-conspirator.
Chronamut - Drew the awesome banner for this contest.
PsychoGoldfish - DJ who will announce the winners live on radiogrounds.com
DarKsidE555 - Listmaster, updates the list of new submissions with new entries since the previous update marked.
Metalcan- Sig-pic maker, a damn good one too! He´s been making the sig-pics for all MACs so far.
TomFulp - Provides the awards along with creating/managing this website, newgrounds.com.
Rucklo - MAC consultant, Contest manager.
LJCoffee - Judge wrangler, conspirator, Contest manager.

Previous Audio Contest in the Audio Forum
MAC7 - June CASTLE CRASHERS theme.
MAC7 - May REDESIGN, FRONTPAGE THEME!
MAC7 - March (+April) PICO LOOP theme.
MAC7 - February PICO TREASURE HUNT!
Mrac06 - December
Mrac06 - November
MAC6 - October X-MAS theme
MAC6 - August TANKMEN theme
MAC6 - July OPEN CONTEST
Heaviest riff ever competition! (2006)
March Contest (2006)
Battle of the Audio Portal (2005)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 09:32:09

I was looking at this thread and I was all like :D:D:D

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:04:17

Declare me the winner now and save us all the trouble. It's only fair.

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:08:39

YAY THE MAC HATH ARRIVETH
How many entries per person are allowed?

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:13:35

At 11/5/07 10:08 AM, RigAudio wrote: YAY THE MAC HATH ARRIVETH
How many entries per person are allowed?

Read the threadn

At 11/5/07 09:30 AM, LJCoffee wrote: 5 - For this contest, you are allowed to submit up to two songs in each genre. It's appreciated if they are submitted to the contest within the same post (makes it easier to make the list), but not a must.

Also you are allowed to enter songs you've submitted earlier right? Right? D:

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:17:33

At 11/5/07 10:13 AM, SBB wrote: Also you are allowed to enter songs you've submitted earlier right? Right? D:

Of course. Why wouldn't they allow that?

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:18:37

At 11/5/07 10:17 AM, RigAudio wrote:
At 11/5/07 10:13 AM, SBB wrote: Also you are allowed to enter songs you've submitted earlier right? Right? D:

I remember there was a contest a long while ago when entries had to be submitted after a certain date

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:22:25

rule #10 is the most important rule >:(

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:29:39

At 11/5/07 10:12 AM, Deflektor wrote: I would like one of the rules to be clear enough.
"5 - For this contest, you are allowed to submit up to two songs in each genre."

Yes, two songs in each genre - for a total of no more than 4 total entries.

At 11/5/07 10:17 AM, RigAudio wrote:

Heavier points will be awarded to NEW submissions - if everyone starts submitting "filler material" (a track or two from last year that did pretty well) just so that you can say you have 4 submissions, then all you're really doing is making more work for the judges.

For now, I would highly suggest that you create something new for this MAC but if you have a knock-down drag-out awesome track from a month or two back then go ahead and submit it and we'll see what happens...

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:31:10

At 11/5/07 10:22 AM, Rucklo wrote: rule #10 is the most important rule >:(

OLO

Thanks, LJC.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 10:54:38

w00t!

That's all I've got to say.

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 11:44:35

I dare somone to make a submission that have two versions, one DnB and one ambient. A remix of itself, that is... Who's up for the challange? >:)

And yes, if submitted, they would be two songs (out of four possible/user).

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 11:47:45

At 11/5/07 11:44 AM, Rucklo wrote: I dare somone to make a submission that have two versions, one DnB and one ambient. A remix of itself, that is... Who's up for the challange?

SineRider I guess

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 11:49:17

At 11/5/07 11:44 AM, Rucklo wrote: I dare somone to make a submission that have two versions, one DnB and one ambient. A remix of itself, that is... Who's up for the challange? >:)

That...is a good idea.
>:)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 12:25:33

Oh my God. My newest song that's in production is ambient/drum n bass.

I love you guys.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 12:40:10

At 11/5/07 12:18 PM, Chronamut wrote: I would except i absolutely loathe the dnb genre

Stay tuned for an future "vs" MAC featuring VG as one of the genres! We figured you'd like to win one of these contests!

BTW, If anyone else has any suggestions for two genres that would make a decent "vs", just PM me and we'll see about making it happen.

At 11/5/07 12:25 PM, ZENON wrote: Oh my God. My newest song that's in production is ambient/drum n bass.

That's why we chose these two genres - a gypsy fortune teller told us what you'd be up to!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 12:49:10

also told us that you enjoy humping drywall. Seriously that has to stop Zenon.

Techno vs Classical is an absolute must we should do some time. That pretty much covers everybody.

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 12:58:07

At 11/5/07 12:49 PM, MaestroRage wrote: also told us that you enjoy humping drywall. Seriously that has to stop Zenon.

Be careful not to dry-hump drywall; the friction could start a fire.

You can wet-hump drywall and dry-hump wetwall, however.

...the four right chords can make me cry

Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 12:59:28

If you can put older songs,I would like to put this up for it:
My Empire

i deserve death

dont click the link this account is shit and fuck me

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 14:56:18

At 11/5/07 12:49 PM, MaestroRage wrote: also told us that you enjoy humping drywall. Seriously that has to stop Zenon.

It's hard to stop when you have a picture of a pretty girl on that drywall :(

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 15:26:56

Hey maybe I'll whip up a litlle something for this.

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 16:17:05

At 11/5/07 03:26 PM, SineRider wrote: Hey maybe I'll whip up a litlle something for this.

seconded.

I produce Music for Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 16:42:47

YunVeroz and I are working on something sure to rock this contest!

Just wait and see >:) Jala-fox knows, don't tell!

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 16:48:43

At 11/5/07 04:42 PM, navij11 wrote: YunVeroz and I are working on something sure to rock this contest!

Just wait and see >:) Jala-fox knows, don't tell!

So do I >:D
Sounds Awesome BTW xD

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 18:04:22

i R in!
Yezz!

Check out my newest song HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 18:12:48

I noticed that the picture shown has ambient resembling good, and DnB representing evil. What I'm basically wondering is if submitted a dark ambient track for judgment is alright.

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 18:20:03

At 11/5/07 06:12 PM, VegetarianMeat wrote: I noticed that the picture shown has ambient resembling good, and DnB representing evil. What I'm basically wondering is if submitted a dark ambient track for judgment is alright.

That's fine. Chron just depicted them that way because he, quote, sucks at DnB. End quote.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - November 2007-11-05 18:24:19

This contest is gonna be intense. Count me in.

quarl BandCamp