New Topic Respond to this Topic
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 10:15 PM Reply

At 12/7/12 04:13 PM, Cootie wrote: Possibly thinking of getting into this game as a new hobby me and my bestfriend have never done before. There is this place just five miles away that holds weekly tournaments. Things that trouble me are the fact that the game seems pretty complicated and I may not be able to memorize all of the effects (like haste, hexproof ect.) and what they do.

Game is pretty simple to understand after a few practice matches. I recommend buying either a Deck Builder's Kit ($20) or a Fat Pack ($40), either way, they both come with little guides on how to play the game.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

Didn't win any matches Friday night but it was still nice practice. Only issue with my deck is I needed to make it a few cards smaller. In the matches, I either ended up with good cards but no mana or almost all mana and no creature cards.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 07:09 PM, Scary wrote:
At 12/9/12 06:47 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Didn't win any matches Friday night but it was still nice practice. Only issue with my deck is I needed to make it a few cards smaller. In the matches, I either ended up with good cards but no mana or almost all mana and no creature cards.
what deck are you running?

Using a Selensya deck. Trimmed it down a bit yesterday so that made a big difference for me.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 06:47 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Didn't win any matches Friday night but it was still nice practice. Only issue with my deck is I needed to make it a few cards smaller. In the matches, I either ended up with good cards but no mana or almost all mana and no creature cards.

I was planning on starting withe a Sole Dominion deck from Magic 2013. Is this a good base to start upon, and have you heard any about this deck. I don't really like this multi-color stuff and I think I want a solid color deck but there aren't any premades that are uni-color and tournament legal.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 07:48 PM, Cootie wrote:
I was planning on starting withe a Sole Dominion deck from Magic 2013. Is this a good base to start upon, and have you heard any about this deck. I don't really like this multi-color stuff and I think I want a solid color deck but there aren't any premades that are uni-color and tournament legal.

Might not be a bad idea to buy a premade deck. However buying a Deck Builder kit could be useful, it gives you everything you need to build a deck and then let's you decide what you want to put in your deck.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 11:47 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 07:57 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
Might not be a bad idea to buy a premade deck. However buying a Deck Builder kit could be useful, it gives you everything you need to build a deck and then let's you decide what you want to put in your deck.

I fear that if I made a deck all on my own I would mess it up just starting out and having a mana curve that was out of whack and thing such as that. I think getting a pre-made deck and making some minor improvements would be the best route.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 09:12 AM Reply

That's why once in a while I'll jump into a competitive tournament and just see what the meta is like. Even if I go zero wins out of 3/4 matches, I'll at least get to find out what different decks can do and learn them that way. Then again, I've been slow with this game lately but Christmas doesn't really help matters. At least Gatecrash will be a good comeback opportunity.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 07:42 PM Reply

just found out my local card and comic shop has a D&D night on wednesday and a Friday night magic.

its gonna be a good week.
Knights
Knights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Filmmaker
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Well, Gatecrash spoilers are solidifying throughout the net and it's just cementing my resolve to choose Simic. Seriously, I'm really digging the evolve mechanic and there's just something about merfolk I just find cool.

In the end, though, I'll probably do a blue/black/green deck and see how it ranks against other players during Dragon's Maze.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
hg-lumin
hg-lumin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Gamer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 05:55 PM, Scary wrote: shame this club is so dead usually

that really sucks. would've been a nice place

anyway guys what did you think about gatecrash?

I've been waiting for this one since I found out dimir wasn't going to be in RTR. really loving the new mill cards.
that cipher mechanic made me plan a whole new mill deck for it but it should be worth it once I get all the right cards

battalion is a deadly clock in limited but far too conditional and slow for constructed. evolve has potential but might be too slow. bloodrush will see play in select cards like ghor clan rampager (nuts). it can lead to some kick in the nuts card disadvantage (discard two bloodrush cards to pump...oh fuck you murdered my creature, 3 cards for one) but the fact it adds so much utility to your deck to have creatures when you need them and pump spells if you don't means it is one of the better gatecrash keywords. cipher had massive potential to be scary as fuck but was criminally overcosted because wizards wet their knickers over breaking the format with invisible stalker + cipher spells. (hands of binding is naaasty in limited though). extort is much much better than i anticipated. grinds down the long games. very good in limited and two headed giant. constructed is possibly to fast though

I've yet to play any format so I can't really weigh in on how these mechanics stack up in them. what I do know is that a friend of mine built an evolve deck backed up by corpsejack menace. got hit by a primordial hydra for like 74 points of damage
scary stuff there

Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 08:36 PM Reply

Pro Tour coming up in Montreal this weekend, I predict a Jund deck, Esper deck, and 6 aggro deck in the top 8.

BBS Signature
Knights
Knights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Filmmaker
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Feb. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:00 PM Reply

For some reason, EDH is becoming popular again around where I live, so if anyone would like to share their decks and Commanders, that'd be cool.

For me, I'm using a BUG deck with The Mimeoplasm as my Commander. I've built it around pumping up my creatures and grave robbing, so it should be a fun deck to play with.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 4/2/13 05:20 PM, Scary wrote: flashback unburial rites on this motherfucking thread

Gravepurge is also a nice card, albeit they go to the top of your deck instead.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 4/2/13 11:39 PM, Scary wrote: maybe somebody can find some kind of combo with this card i dunno

Well if you're running Orzhov or some other deck with a splash of white, Faith's Reward works well in case of a board wipe.

BBS Signature
BenwaHakubi
BenwaHakubi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:55 AM Reply

I finished the plans for my Simic deck. Gonna buy the cards once I get some extra coin.

BenwaHakubi
BenwaHakubi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 10:12 AM, Spirit wrote:
At 4/10/13 07:55 AM, BenwaHakubi wrote: I finished the plans for my Simic deck. Gonna buy the cards once I get some extra coin.
Decklist?

Now that I look at it I kinda wanna edit things.
Simic deck

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 02:05 AM Reply

Do you guys know about the program Cockatrice?

If so, i'm trying to get into MTG a bit but I don't have anyone to play and it'd be nice to play some people who know what they're doing and can help me learn.

The only experience I have with MTG are the planeswalker games and an Eldrazi deck I netdecked so I know how to play but I don't really know the metagame and the more advanced aspects of the game.

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Jul. 19th, 2013 @ 09:32 PM Reply

So who got dat 2014 set?

I got 4 boosters and fairly decent cards.

Wish I had gotten the fat pack though. My friend got 9 mythics in his.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Archonic
Archonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 09:46 PM Reply

So I was introduced to this thing over the weekend, and it actually seems pretty cool! I pretty much know the basics/mechanics of the game already, meaning I have the gist of each color and card type, but that's it. Can I get some help on a starting deck/setup, since I still have no idea what to do strategywise?

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
Spooky
Spooky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 20th, 2013 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 8/18/13 09:46 PM, Spretznaz wrote: So I was introduced to this thing over the weekend, and it actually seems pretty cool! I pretty much know the basics/mechanics of the game already, meaning I have the gist of each color and card type, but that's it. Can I get some help on a starting deck/setup, since I still have no idea what to do strategywise?

Buy either a Deck Builder's Toolkit or an Event Deck.

The toolkit gives you a tonne of random cards from recent sets (including basic lands) to build decks from. Very good value for money.

An Event deck is a competitive deck (read: playable compared to those god awful intro packs) complete with sideboard.

Then grab some friends and have fun. You can keep one of those rules pamphlets close by if you get confused or look it up online.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 20th, 2013 @ 09:09 PM Reply

Does anyone here play the Planeswalker games on consoles and PC?

Spooky
Spooky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 20th, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 8/20/13 09:09 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Does anyone here play the Planeswalker games on consoles and PC?

Yes, I play them on Steam. My laptop is shit, so they are one of the few games I can play.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 21st, 2013 @ 04:35 AM Reply

At 8/20/13 09:30 PM, Spooky wrote:
At 8/20/13 09:09 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Does anyone here play the Planeswalker games on consoles and PC?
Yes, I play them on Steam. My laptop is shit, so they are one of the few games I can play.

I think the newest one is kind of 'ugly' compared to '13 but I like how some of the monsters like Grave Titan and It That Betrays have neat animations.

These games taught me how to play magic and now that '14 has an eldrazi deck I can enjoy it even more.

Spooky
Spooky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 21st, 2013 @ 10:53 AM Reply

At 8/21/13 04:35 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I think the newest one is kind of 'ugly' compared to '13 but I like how some of the monsters like Grave Titan and It That Betrays have neat animations.

These games taught me how to play magic and now that '14 has an eldrazi deck I can enjoy it even more.

It is uglier than '13 (and I don't like the deck balance or variety compared to it either, but then again '13 had more decks in the meta due to the expansions), but it has sealed which is the best bonus mode they've ever done. Eldrazi ramp deck has become really viable even in 1v1 with the inclusion of the promos (I don't even run anyway Eldrazi in the deck cuz I'm a cheeky boi). The Dimir pile is my favourite because I'm a controlling bastard.

ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 26th, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

I think the newest Duels of the Planeswalkers has a much better interface. It's very easy to navigate. I used to have trouble sometimes scrolling through the menu in 2013 because it would randomly scroll the opposite way I'd want. This is playing the Steam version.

Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Aug. 31st, 2013 @ 11:02 AM Reply

At 8/26/13 11:38 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: I think the newest Duels of the Planeswalkers has a much better interface. It's very easy to navigate. I used to have trouble sometimes scrolling through the menu in 2013 because it would randomly scroll the opposite way I'd want. This is playing the Steam version.

Just started. I wish I would have started this sooner.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 8/21/13 10:53 AM, Spooky wrote:
At 8/21/13 04:35 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I think the newest one is kind of 'ugly' compared to '13 but I like how some of the monsters like Grave Titan and It That Betrays have neat animations.

It is uglier than '13 (and I don't like the deck balance or variety compared to it either, but then again '13 had more decks in the meta due to the expansions), but it has sealed which is the best bonus mode they've ever done. Eldrazi ramp deck has become really viable even in 1v1 with the inclusion of the promos (I don't even run anyway Eldrazi in the deck cuz I'm a cheeky boi). The Dimir pile is my favourite because I'm a controlling bastard.

Dmir are always a little annoying for me because I am used to YGO so a deck that draws and mills you so cheaply and easily feels broken to my inner king of games.

Are the decks in Planeswalker all standard format usable? I wondered this in 13 as well because some of the cards I recognized from older versions and thought maybe they were reprinted or that Planeswalker didn't restrict itself to formats. I'm not really experienced in playing magic outside of these games so I don't really know about all the sets and stuff.

What is your Steam ID? We should play some time, i'll add anyone else who might want to play too.

Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Sep. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:43 PM Reply

I am thinking about a Sliver deck. Is this a bad idea? I think it could be tons of fun being able to essentially make a pool of shared abilities with different slivers.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Spooky
Spooky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Sep. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 03:36 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Are the decks in Planeswalker all standard format usable? I wondered this in 13 as well because some of the cards I recognized from older versions and thought maybe they were reprinted or that Planeswalker didn't restrict itself to formats. I'm not really experienced in playing magic outside of these games so I don't really know about all the sets and stuff.

No. The Planeswalker decks use a mish mash of cards from Magic's history. Some are playable in Standard, others are not. You can visit What's in Standard? to see what sets are currently playable in Standard.

Standard is a rotating format - which means only cards from recently released sets are viable. Older sets rotate out of standard as new sets come in. This rotation is going to happen starting 27th September, when the new set Theros comes out, and the cards from Magic 2013 and Innistrad, Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored will no longer be playable in Standard. That'll be the best time to get into Standard for you.

What is your Steam ID? We should play some time, i'll add anyone else who might want to play too.

I've sent you a request! My Steam name is 'Spooky'.

At 9/3/13 08:43 PM, Mumbo wrote: I am thinking about a Sliver deck. Is this a bad idea? I think it could be tons of fun being able to essentially make a pool of shared abilities with different slivers.

Are we talking about making a Slivers deck in Duels of the Planeswalkers or in paper Magic? In paper magic, Magic 2014 (which is the most recently released core set) has plenty of slivers to use. There are also Sliver cards printed before this. This is a list of all the Sliver cards printed in Magic. The deck construction comes down to your brain and your wallet!

Spooky
Spooky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Sep. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:18 PM Reply

That Sliver link doesn't seem to be working (maybe it is just me). Hopefully this one will work.

If not, go to Gatherer - a searchable Magic card database listing all Magic cards ever printed.