00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GingaSnappd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Magic: The Gathering Klub

85,902 Views | 578 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2013-09-27 22:24:09

At 9/27/13 01:37 PM, Shade wrote: Hey, I've just started playing Magic and I've cobbled together a few decks from a few starter kits (Black, Green and White) and I'm wondering if you guys have any advice for a new player.

There are sites that let you put up your own decks. You might want to post them if you want specific criticism on there.

But synergy is key.

There's more to it than just loading up on overpowered kill cards and any other random powerhouse you have in a deck. You usually pick a theme for a deck and then use cards that will specifically interact with each other. My simic deck, for example, is all about each creature helping the other and ramping each other up until I have a 70/70 flying trample.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2013-09-30 16:33:59

At 9/27/13 01:37 PM, Shade wrote: Hey, I've just started playing Magic and I've cobbled together a few decks from a few starter kits (Black, Green and White) and I'm wondering if you guys have any advice for a new player.

I'd make sure your deck has a central theme

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2013-10-04 01:09:35

At 9/30/13 04:48 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 9/30/13 04:33 PM, Mumbo wrote:
I'd make sure your deck has a central theme
It's also a good idea to make sure your deck has one or two win conditions. That being said, not a bad idea to start a deck using green so you can get a good idea of how to play then start using other colors. As for multicolor decks, best to get gates, shock, and scry lands, all are in rotation now.

Gates aren't that great, SCTE3, but definitely one should get dual or fetch lands if they're doing multicolored lands. Luckily since Ravnica's back, dual lands are in Standard once more, so it shouldn't be a problem incorporating them into your deck.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-02-07 10:29:12

im building a dimir edh deck, with oona as my general.

milling and tokens all day. i abuse the shit titties out of grind.

what are you nigs workin on?

this is NOT a link

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-02-10 21:41:58

I like to play mostly from older magic series. Though the newer digital games are awesome practice.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-04-19 12:32:12

At 2/7/14 10:29 AM, keyword wrote: im building a dimir edh deck, with oona as my general.

milling and tokens all day. i abuse the shit titties out of grind.

what are you nigs workin on?

I'm tinkering with some Izzet standard burn.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-04-19 13:14:02

Where I live, they have Friday night Magic. All the comic/gaming stores only play MTG on Friday nights.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-05-03 01:41:44

I enjoy the older decks as well. It can be a pain having to make a new deck every few months.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-05-07 17:13:39

I just made a colorless deck for casual play, It is so terrible.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-05-07 19:22:25

Im working on getting all of the Kamigawa set. Ive been playing since 3rd edition, when did you guys hop in?

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-08-06 00:30:29

Made blue aggro.
Blue. Aggro.
BLUE. AGGRO.

MMMMMMMMH. Feels so good.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-10-19 18:05:21

So uh yeah me and some friends just started playing and I'm pretty sure I can obliterate every one of you with my master deck.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-10-19 20:12:12

At 10/19/14 06:05 PM, Slint wrote: So uh yeah me and some friends just started playing and I'm pretty sure I can obliterate every one of you with my master deck.

What type of deck is it?

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-10-20 07:29:44

At 10/19/14 08:12 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 10/19/14 06:05 PM, Slint wrote: So uh yeah me and some friends just started playing and I'm pretty sure I can obliterate every one of you with my master deck.
What type of deck is it?

Honestly it still needs a lot of work. It's a water/mountain deck with a little hint of swamp and forest. Usually gets the job done, but since it has too many cards and takes a while to come into full effect, I take a risk of getting killed before the gears start working full power.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-11-14 19:08:11

Anyone in the Kenosha, Wisconsin area wanting to kick it with some casual Friday Night Magic, I now run the tournaments at SportsDome. We are in great need of more supporters and people to play or we might have to close up shop. Just search us up if you're in the area!

To balance one's oneness. Everyone is you but to be immersed we must lie to ourselves and think we are separate, just enough to put on a show for us, by us, with us, forever.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-21 09:54:00

Any Planeswalkers still alive in here?

I recently got back into Magic, after being briefly into it circa 2012. Had a bunch of Innistrad cards, but unfortunately an incident with orange juice has all but obliterated most of those cards. Rebirth came this past October, upon which my roommate and I (both former Magic players from that former 2012 scene) decided to go buy some cards, try to find any remnants of our old ones.

Got a bunch of deck ideas in the works, but one I completed a white ago is a white lifegain Spirit deck. Mostly M15/Khans of Tarkir cards, with some old spirits from Innistrad/Dark Ascension. I've also got a blue/black control based on tapping, a red/white burn (I guess you would call it burn? Not too familiar with a lot of technical aspects of Magic, I'm afraid), a green/white based around exile, a black/red aggro(?) deck using what may be my favorite card ever, Carnival Hellsteed. Trying to figure out an artifact deck based around some artifacts with convoke I have, but not sure that's the direction I want to head in. Got enough <color>/white decks as it is in the works.

Do any of you have any advice regarding a blue/black mill deck? I tend to buy $0.50 rares at the cardshop, so I'll be sure to chalk down some ideas if anybody has anything in mind. I've got 1 Millstone, 1 Shriekhorn, Haunting Echoes, a few other sorceries and instants from M15 I cba to linked, but not enough creatures. I've got a Jace's Phantasm, but not much else.

What have you guys been up to, deck building or otherwise?

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-21 12:00:59

At 12/21/14 09:54 AM, saltovergray wrote: Any Planeswalkers still alive in here?

I'll join. I'm new. I started playing Magic last... August? So I'm pretty noob.

What have you guys been up to, deck building or otherwise?

Nothing fancy. I made a blue/artifact deck that wrecked for a while. It basically revolved around me getting my Juggernauts out with Whispersilk Cloaks or flying or some such noise. But I dismantled it recently.

My green deck is pretty good; it's all Heroic cards and good, cheap spells. I made a black/blue deck which, so far, sucks.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-21 19:02:45

My last built deck was a black/red spell/creature deck. It has defeated my blue/green deck the last three times.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-22 21:53:34

Woah, man. Wish I knew this club existed earlier! :D I've been playing for about 5 years, off and on. I'd love to play some of you guys on Cockatrice (downloadable software on which you can play Magic with anyone in the world who also has the app). Just add me to your buddy lists and you'll know when I'm online. I'm TaintedLogic over there as well. ^^

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-23 14:07:05

At 12/22/14 09:53 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I'd love to play some of you guys on Cockatrice (downloadable software on which you can play Magic with anyone in the world who also has the app).

Getting on that.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-24 01:58:15

I have a lot of mtg cards, i like collecting them, and just recently, a local card shop was showing me how to first build a deck, and what to look for.

I just DON'T know how to play the damn game.
Can someone just simplify it here? Just the basic stuff.
I've watched countless videos. I really want to be apart of friday night magic at my cardshop.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-24 23:17:12

At 12/22/14 09:53 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I've been playing for about 5 years, off and on. I'd love to play some of you guys on Cockatrice (downloadable software on which you can play Magic with anyone in the world who also has the app).

Is there a big community on Cockatrice? I normally play with actually magic cards, but on-line sounds fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-24 23:22:42

Just ordered my first deck and did a little playtesting with it, here's my list (yeah it's not standard, I may convert it to being standard-compliant at some point):

3x Hickory Woodlot
10x Forest
6x Plains

3x Elvish Mystic
4x Vine Trellis
4x Fierce Empath
2x Noble Panther
3x Borderland Ranger
3x Shaman of Spring
2x Elvish Piper
2x Nessian Game Warden
2x Rhox
2x Terra Stomper
1x Phytotitan
1x Giant Adephage
1x Archetype of Endurance

3x Selesnya Charm
3x Righteousness

3x Font of Fertility
2x Forced Adaptation

The 3 main objectives of this deck are:

1. Mana ramp (Borderland Ranger, Font of Fertility, Elvish Mystic, Vine Trellis, Hickory Woodlot)
2. Deck thinning (Borderland Ranger, Shaman of Spring, Font of Fertility, Fierce Empath, Nessian Game Warden)
3. Removal baiting (Elvish Piper, Terra Stomper, Forced Adaptation)

Changes I would like to make:

-4 Vine Trellis
-3 Font of Fertility

+4 Sylvan Caryatid
+3 Grasslands

Any suggestions? I'm mostly dead-set on the Fierce Empath+Elvish Piper combo as it's immensely satisfying and difficult to counterplay when your opponent manages to not remove your 1/1 and then you get an Archetype of Endurance fielded for a total of 4 mana next turn. I also really like the flavour of having a big low-range that converges to help summon big creatures (i.e. everything past Nessian Game Warden on my list).

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-24 23:35:10

At 12/24/14 11:17 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 12/22/14 09:53 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I've been playing for about 5 years, off and on. I'd love to play some of you guys on Cockatrice (downloadable software on which you can play Magic with anyone in the world who also has the app).
Is there a big community on Cockatrice? I normally play with actually magic cards, but on-line sounds fun.

Hmm...not huge, I guess. There are usually around 500-800 people online at a time. Once you register, it's pretty easy to play in a variety of formats, though: casual, legacy, commander, modern, standard, even drafts!

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

At 12/24/14 01:58 AM, w00tw00 wrote: Can someone just simplify it here? Just the basic stuff.

Big text ahead, go ahead right down to the list if you just want to know how to play, and not why it all seems so confusing.

What kind of videos are you watching? If you just watch high-level play and fast-paced stuff, it's gonna be tough to get into it. That's how my buddy tried to get me into the game years ago and failed miserably; lending me one of his decks and explaining nothing but the bare essentials before stomping me 2 or 3 times with his main deck insisting that I would "get it after a few games". Of course, it just put me off playing it and thinking I would never understand the game because it seemed so complicated when he would just fly through his turn knowing exactly what to do when I didn't even know what most of my cards did. Don't get intimidated, it's a lot easier than it might seem.

When you say you don't "get it", there's a few things you could be referring to but I'm gonna just do a quick brief of everything and maybe link to this post for anyone else that's having issues getting into the game. Below is a card with a few bits of information highlighted.

1. Mana Costs

A card's mana costs generally have 2 parts: coloured and colourless mana. The colourless mana can be paid with mana of any colour, but the coloured mana cost (as you probably guessed) must be paid with matching coloured mana. In my example, I would have to have 1 green mana and 1 colourless mana before placing it on the field from my hand. I'll explain mana generation a bit later.

2. Power/Toughness

These are the stats that define a creature's combat potential; how much damage they'll do, and how much damage they can take. Derived from a combination of their other abilities and their mana costs, Power/Toughness can range from 0/1 to 20/20.

3. Abilities

These are the fun parts. There's an absolutely massive range of abilities, but don't be daunted by them. They are often activated by tapping the card (as the arrow beside my example's third ability represents), paying mana, or both. It's completely possible that your deck has no more than 4 or 5 that you have to remember outside of noncreature cards, so you can buy/build a very easy deck. These abilities do all sorts of things for all sorts of prices, and this (combined with noncreatures) is how people create deck themes.

***************************************************************************************************************

Each turn, you are allowed to play one land card, which around a third of your deck should consist of, for free. This land can be tapped (turned sideways until your next turn) for one mana of a corresponding colour. This part's easy enough:

Forest=Green
Island=Blue
Swamp= Black
Plains=White
Mountain=Red

Before any card comes into play, you must tap land until you have enough mana to pay the creature's costs. You can then place the creature onto the field (technically the stack, but don't worry about that). When a creature comes onto the field, they must wait until your next turn to attack or use any ability that requires them to tap.

Generally, the idea of the game is to most efficiently use your mana to summon creatures and support them with noncreature cards until you are able to topple your opponent. The easiest way to get a feel for the game is to just go to your local game store (often referred to as LGS), buy an intro deck, and play a few practice hands against no one. Just draw a hand and go through the paces as if you had an opponent that skipped each of their turns.

I hope this was enough to explain the game to you, but if you have any questions be sure to ask!

Magic: The Gathering Klub

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-26 16:17:46

Did another order for my deck after playtesting a little more, and here's the edits I'm rocking now:

-1 Vine Trellis
-2 Noble Panther
-1 Phytotitan

-3 Font of Fertility

+2 Sylvan Caryatid

+2 Forced Adaptation

+3 Grasslands

Dropped a Vine Trellis and a Phytotitan for Sylvan Caryatids, the hexproof mana generation is nice and the consistency to play it is a little nicer than having another big creature. Phytotitan is nice though, and I may swap Giant Adephage for it if I can't get Adephage out enough. Dropped Fonts of Fertility for Grasslands because the instantly available mana weighs nicely against the potential +2 mana in one turn from Font.

Dropping Noble Panthers for Forced Adaptations was the one that interested me most. I have a total of 10 cards that turn to complete shit after they're fielded and resolve their effects (4x 1/1 Fierce Empath, 3x 2/2 Borderland Ranger, 3x 2/2 Shaman of Spring). Forced Adaptation lets them do something, in addition to forcing removal (if enchantment destruction is unavailable). This means that, by itself and for 1 mana, Forced Adaptation can either give me a massive growing threat or turn my dead cards into removal targets. Any thoughts on this change?

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-26 16:52:30

At 12/26/14 04:03 PM, DM692 wrote: I hope this was enough to explain the game to you, but if you have any questions be sure to ask!

dude awesome, thanks for explaining, i pretty much get the hang of this.

but something else that's getting at me is the steps of a turn you know.

At 12/26/14 04:52 PM, w00tw00 wrote: but something else that's getting at me is the steps of a turn you know.

Oh man I missed explaining this one, it definitely had me confused for a bit. The parts in square brackets are pre-turn, and as a general rule of thumb you shouldn't worry about doing anything during them

[Untap>Upkeep>Draw]>Main Phase 1>Combat>Main Phase 2>End Phase

1. Untap, Upkeep, Draw

This is when you untap anything that you tapped during your previous turn, activate certain specific effects, and draw a card. Basically, you don't need to worry about this until you understand it on your own, as long as you're remembering to untap then draw.

2. Main Phase 1

This is when you have your opportunity to play Creatures, Sorceries, and Enchantments. Those noncreatures I was referring to earlier? Those are Sorceries and Enchantments/Artifacts. Sorceries are used, have their effects resolved, and go to the graveyard (like Spell Cards in Yu-Gi-Oh). Enchantments/Artifacts are various effects that stay on the field, attached to creatures or otherwise.

3. Combat

Honestly, this is a whole other meta-turn. Here's how WotC describes it. Condensed, it goes like this: The player whose turn it is chooses which creatures they want to attack with, tapping each creature they do so with. The defending player chooses which creatures he wants to block with, and each defending creature can block no more than 1 attacking creature. Barring anything affecting combat (that I'll try not to boggle you with), the creatures then do damage to each other based on their Power/Toughness. Any damage dealt here (or anywhere else) is 'healed' at the end of that turn.

4. Main Phase 2

This phase is just like your Main Phase one, just here in case you want to do anything after combat like summoning a creature you weren't sure you'd have the mana for after combat.

5. End Phase

This is basically here just in case your opponent wants to play any instants (I'll touch on these in a second) after you have no more opportunities to use Creatures, Sorceries, or Enchantments/Artifacts.

****************************************************************************************************

Instants can be tricky to get the hang of, but they're immensely satisfying when you learn to time them right. An Instant is essentially a sorcery that can be played at any time, including on an opponent's turn or in response to other Instants. They're generally balanced to be tricks up your sleeve, possibly dealing an additional 4 damage in combat to kill your opponent's creature or untapping your creature to defend with.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-28 21:09:03

I've been playing for almost a year now, currently I'm only playing standard with a red/white token deck

4x Raise the Alarm
4x Seeker of the Way
4x Hordeling Outburst
3x Launch the Fleet
3x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
3x Titans Strength
1x Brimaz
3x Triplicate Spirits
4x Trumpet Blast

This is my most successful deck I've made but mass removal is my worst nightmare

Seriously fuck Anger of the Gods, Bile Blight, and Drown in Sorrow

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2014-12-29 02:52:20

At 7/30/03 11:51 PM, Wadezilla wrote: OMG, yhey!! I love magic. My best card is my 7/7 Chaos Lord!! I heard they made a 20/20!!!!

Okay, now seriously, if you play, just discuss stuff here. No need for a sig if you don't want it. This thread is now the MTG forum.

I WAS a baby when this was made....