New Topic Respond to this Topic
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-17 21:33:22 Reply

Hello, my name is [...} and I am addicted to this game.
I just love the strategy aspect of it, and that within a reasonable amount of money, you can't just buy your skill. Sure, you'll probably buy singles, trade in, buy boosters, and all that, but with a few exceptions, you can't buy a deck, then walk into a tournament and win. Sure, there are those who will drop hundreds for Jace, The Mind Sculptor, and thousands for some in Legacy. Black Lotus, Time Walk, and other broken cards.

The outpourings of a nerd aside, I play in Standard, EDH, and a little bit of Two Headed Giant. For standard I'm running mono-black Vampires, as well as an artifact aggro for when Zendikar is rotated out.
EDH, I have mono-black Necromancy, with Lim-Dûl the Necromancer for a general.

I may link to any of those or post them here in the future, but just tossing my hat in the ring at the moment.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-18 01:17:02 Reply

My winning strategy is just to turn cards sideways, and that's just it. No, but seriously, I hardly think about types of decks and etc. Just play it to play. Not really into the turnament thing (Forgot how to spell turnament) unless it's local, you know? And you know what's worse than being addicted? Being addicted and not even able to play.

Which is why I'm stressing Tradecardsonline even more. 'Course I'm too lazy to add my entire deck on there, since it's way to slow just to add one card, but if one of you will play me on that then I'll waste an hour adding the other 130 or so cards to it.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-18 04:19:34 Reply

At 3/17/11 09:33 PM, Patton3 wrote: Hello, my name is [...} and I am addicted to this game.
I just love the strategy aspect of it, and that within a reasonable amount of money, you can't just buy your skill. Sure, you'll probably buy singles, trade in, buy boosters, and all that, but with a few exceptions, you can't buy a deck, then walk into a tournament and win. Sure, there are those who will drop hundreds for Jace, The Mind Sculptor, and thousands for some in Legacy. Black Lotus, Time Walk, and other broken cards.

B/R vampires and RDW decks are still able to win tournaments. For about $100-$150 you can get a decent aggro deck to play at FNM, less than the price of 2 Jace TMS.

Black Lots, Time walk etc are more for hardcore vintage collectors and maybe the odd Vintage player. The most popular pieces of power 9 are actually Moxen, which you can pick up white boarded for a few hundred bucks or less.

The outpourings of a nerd aside, I play in Standard, EDH, and a little bit of Two Headed Giant. For standard I'm running mono-black Vampires, as well as an artifact aggro for when Zendikar is rotated out.

Ever thought about going R/B vampires? It's winning tournaments and plays super fast and aggressive. Some say it's better then RDW.

Nice. I assume you're playing all the Dread Return/Reanimate effects you can fit in? Also, consider getting a Necropotence if you don't have one. White boarded ones are pretty cheap.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008
Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com
Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-18 16:59:36 Reply

Hey guys, guess what came in the mail today?

Magic: The Gathering Klub

BBS Signature
Leeloo-Minai
Leeloo-Minai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-19 09:18:28 Reply

At 3/18/11 04:59 PM, letiger wrote: Hey guys, guess what came in the mail today?

Good creatures to steal?

Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-19 17:12:53 Reply

At 3/19/11 09:18 AM, Leeloo-Minai wrote:
At 3/18/11 04:59 PM, letiger wrote: Hey guys, guess what came in the mail today?
Good creatures to steal?

I guess. Just visit me at 4*** * ** ****** #**.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-19 18:41:12 Reply

At 3/18/11 04:19 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
At 3/17/11 09:33 PM, Patton3 wrote:
B/R vampires and RDW decks are still able to win tournaments. For about $100-$150 you can get a decent aggro deck to play at FNM, less than the price of 2 Jace TMS.

No one ever said it was a cheap hobby, eh? I've learned that in the time I've played it. You can get a good deck for a reasonable (for Magic) price, though I've seen people drop hundreds and it just kind of seems to take away from the game.

Black Lots, Time walk etc are more for hardcore vintage collectors and maybe the odd Vintage player. The most popular pieces of power 9 are actually Moxen, which you can pick up white boarded for a few hundred bucks or less.

True, though (for me) even the Mox are too expensive, especially since I'm mainly in standard with some dabbling in EDH.

Ever thought about going R/B vampires? It's winning tournaments and plays super fast and aggressive. Some say it's better then RDW.

I have, and being able to add in Lightning bolt and Pyromancer Ascension is tempting. But as for lightning fast aggro, I have an White/Artifact deck for when Zendikar gets rotated out.

Nice. I assume you're playing all the Dread Return/Reanimate effects you can fit in? Also, consider getting a Necropotence if you don't have one. White boarded ones are pretty cheap.

Yes, it's based around reanimation with a few cruel spells tossed into the mix.
I also have a deck list for it here if you'd care to have a look.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-20 18:09:21 Reply

Just bought a few new cards. Tell me what you think of them:

Necrotic Sliver (Looks foil)
Burn the Impure
Morbid Plunder
Battle Rampart
Flame Slash
Treasure Mage
Contested War Zone
Tangle Hulk
Spiraling DUelist
Strandwalker
Oculus
Blightwidow
Banishment Decree
Koth's Courier
Mirran Mettle
Master's Call
Gnathosaur
Phyrexian Juggernaught
Blue Sun's Zenith
Corrupted Conscience
Spire Serpent
Scourge Servant
Tine Shrike
Baneslayer Angel
Peace Strider
Plague Myr
Bladed Sentinel
Fangren Marauder
Razorfield Rhino
Quicksilver Geyser
Repay in Kind
Soulbound Guardians
Irresistible Pret
Joraga Treespeaker
Venerated Teacher
Spider Umbra
Merfolk Observer
Nest Invader
Bloodthrone Vampire
Gloomhunter
Goblin Tunneler
Evolving wilds
Muscle Sliver (Also foil)
Lunk Errant
Splitting Headache
Medicine Runner
Wildslayer Elves
Raven's Run Dragoon
Sootwalkers

Just to name a few.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-22 09:44:59 Reply

At 3/20/11 06:09 PM, letiger wrote: Just bought a few new cards. Tell me what you think of them:
Flame Slash
Treasure Mage
Contested War Zone
Baneslayer Angel
Joraga Treespeaker

I like these ones.

The rest are ok, mostly niche cards or edh cards, but the ones I've pointed out are just plain awesome and/or constructed playable.

What sort of price per card did you have to pay?

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-22 18:58:27 Reply

I bought them from packs.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-22 20:48:26 Reply

On a side note, I think battle rampart is an awesome card. It's a wall for one, and if you tap it you can give a creature haste. Quite good, in my own opinion, for some cases.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-22 21:07:33 Reply

God it's been forever since I've played my decks, and seeing this thread just gave me a hard-on.

My favorite deck of my Solarion deck. It's kind of slow and clumsy, DEFINITELY not a tourney deck, but I have ridiculous mana rushing shit and it's obviously a rainbow deck so I have a few DTN's (door to nothingness) in there and composite golem/skeleton shard combos for mana rape. When I get lucky I can get out voltaic constructs and shit and I don't even remember all of the other ridiculous combos I threw in there but long story short mana flare, solarion, composite golems, blinkmoth urn, Doors, and a few "do damage to opponent's health equal to creature's strength" cards such as surestrike trident = rape rape rape.

Also, Mycosynth Lattice is BROKEN when you use it with Memnarch and moreover KILL SWITCH. Fucking broken.

I also have a classis Cho/Pariah deck, but I use it for EDH games (broken, my general CAN'T DIE)

My friend who turned me on to Magic has (literally) about 50,000 cards after absorbing and being given several other peoples' collections. He's got almost every card made, but of course not ALL of them.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-23 06:03:04 Reply

Hey guys, can I play this card in tournaments?

Magic: The Gathering Klub

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-23 08:34:19 Reply

At 3/22/11 08:48 PM, letiger wrote: On a side note, I think battle rampart is an awesome card. It's a wall for one, and if you tap it you can give a creature haste. Quite good, in my own opinion, for some cases.

It's ok, but not brilliant.

Rather then play creatures and use battle rampard to give them haste, why not just play more creatures that are more cost efficient and have haste anyways? Examples of this are Bloodbraid Elf, Goblin Guide, Hellspark Elemental, Ball Lightning, Goblin Warchief and plenty of others from before that.

Plus, as a general rule walls over 3 mana cost aren't worth playing in any deck as you would have already taken a bit of damage. Walls are best used to slow down your opponant's attacks till you get to a certain amount of mana/lands to play big spells, or to slow down aggressive decks till you draw answers to their spells/creatures. Earlier a wall hits, the more use you'll get out of it.

Think about what your deck is trying to do or achieve, rather then just adding cards because they're in colour and/or are cool. If the card is amazing on its own, but damages or weakens your deck's strategy it's prob not worth playing. If a card is ok on its own, but amazing when combined with your deck strategy/card choices, it really should be played in your deck.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-23 08:37:31 Reply

At 3/23/11 06:03 AM, letiger wrote: Hey guys, can I play this card in tournaments?

No, it's from an 'Un' set, two promotional 'joke' sets released on a limited run.

Silver or gold bordered cards are not tournament legal.

Un cards are, however, really fun in play varients such as Cube, EDH (if your regular play ground will let you play un cards) or any kitchen table casual games.

It's give and take, as many Un cards are 'Un'-fair ;)

Get permission to play them first from your regular group before putting them in your decks.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-23 18:30:50 Reply

I was being sarcastic when I asked that question. What I want to see is two 60 card decks built with cards from that same set. It'd be the best match to watch, ever. I just hope no one uses Clam Session on say, a Justin Beiber song.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-24 04:56:30 Reply

At 3/23/11 06:30 PM, letiger wrote: I was being sarcastic when I asked that question. What I want to see is two 60 card decks built with cards from that same set. It'd be the best match to watch, ever. I just hope no one uses Clam Session on say, a Justin Beiber song.

Sorry. Sarcasm can be hard to pick up on in text form xP

Anywho, why not make your own? Most UN-Cards are pretty cheap, or you could 'proxy' them up.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-24 07:21:29 Reply

Possibly because I'm too lazy and/or don't have the money. Well, even though I bought a $10 card and a $20 one, but that's not the point.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-24 07:45:29 Reply

At 3/24/11 07:21 AM, letiger wrote: Possibly because I'm too lazy and/or don't have the money. Well, even though I bought a $10 card and a $20 one, but that's not the point.

As I said, proxy them up. Get a printer, download card images or look on search engines for proxie creator websites, print them out and with sissors and cards in sleeves you can make easy proxies as quick as you can cut them out!

The harder part is coming up with the deck ideas.

BBS Signature
wesker5500
wesker5500
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-24 08:37:18 Reply

Hey. I'm a collector of magic cards too!
Anyone know the card "Urza's Rage"?
Well if not then I'll tell you the effect.

Urza's Rage
Cost to use: 2(Neutral)1(Fire logo)
Instant

Effect:
Kicker 8(Neutral)1(Fire logo) [You may pay an additional 8(Fire logo) as you play this spell]

Urza's Rage can't be countered by any spells or abilities.

Urza's Rage deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you paid the kicker cost, instead Urza's Rage deals 10 damage to that creature or player and the damage can't be prevented.

-----
Awesome! And the best part is, I have 2 of them. Original.
Not the new version, the old version.
The one with a robot like figure firing 3 flames.
Currently I've nothing to do with it but wait to the future and sell it at a high price. :D

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-24 21:41:39 Reply

At 3/24/11 08:37 AM, wesker5500 wrote: Hey. I'm a collector of magic cards too!
Anyone know the card "Urza's Rage"?
Well if not then I'll tell you the effect.

Urza's Rage
Cost to use: 2(Neutral)1(Fire logo)
Instant

Effect:
Kicker 8(Neutral)1(Fire logo) [You may pay an additional 8(Fire logo) as you play this spell]

Urza's Rage can't be countered by any spells or abilities.

Urza's Rage deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you paid the kicker cost, instead Urza's Rage deals 10 damage to that creature or player and the damage can't be prevented.

-----
Awesome! And the best part is, I have 2 of them. Original.
Not the new version, the old version.
The one with a robot like figure firing 3 flames.
Currently I've nothing to do with it but wait to the future and sell it at a high price. :D

It's an alright card, but there are much more cost-effective ways of doing damage.

Examples:

Banefire

Fireball (not as good as banefire as it doesn't have the unpreventable bonus.

Firebolt Great for Aggro decks, costs one fire to do two damage, making it great for the first four turns.

Power of fire Another good Aggro card, it gives enchanted creature "Tap, do 1 damage to target creature or player."

Torrent of fire costs 3 fire two colorless, do damage equal to highest converted mana cost among permanents you control. Used with, say, Progenitus it's a two-turn kill. Progenitus has protection from EVERYTHING (literally, it's broken), and can't be blocked for ten damage, then torrent does another ten. Mad mana rushing needed though [although composite golems are your best buddies, as I've learned with my Solarions]...)

It works great with Reaper King too as it's five rainbow or ten colorless, and counts as ten conv. cost. All you need is a composite golem and a reaper king, and you can do an instant ten with Torrent of fire.

Among the thousands and thousands of cards, there are WAY too many combos to list...

Oh, and SLIVERS.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-25 07:51:09 Reply

Slivers? Now you're pushing it too far. Keep a ton of them alive long enough, and pretty soon you have around 10 slicers each with their own effects. Oh, and two to four ward slivers depending on their deck color would make it even liklier that you can get all them out at once.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-25 08:12:58 Reply

At 3/24/11 09:41 PM, Lagerkapo wrote: It's an alright card, but there are much more cost-effective ways of doing damage.

Examples:

Banefire

Fireball (not as good as banefire as it doesn't have the unpreventable bonus.

Firebolt Great for Aggro decks, costs one fire to do two damage, making it great for the first four turns.

Power of fire Another good Aggro card, it gives enchanted creature "Tap, do 1 damage to target creature or player."

Torrent of fire costs 3 fire two colorless, do damage equal to highest converted mana cost among permanents you control. Used with, say, Progenitus it's a two-turn kill. Progenitus has protection from EVERYTHING (literally, it's broken), and can't be blocked for ten damage, then torrent does another ten. Mad mana rushing needed though [although composite golems are your best buddies, as I've learned with my Solarions]...)

Don't forget the following:

Lightning Bolt

Lava Spike

Volcanic Fallout

Slag Storm

Chain Lighting

Burst Lighting

So many to choose from!

Urza's Rage also works well in Legacy as part of a Counter Burn strategy. Uncounterable burn is relevant, even if you never get to the point of kicking it. That and volcanic fallout are about the only two cards that will help you beat CounterTop decks, which usually beats Burn and Counter Burn hands down.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-25 19:16:02 Reply

I was thinking of Chain Lightning but couldn't remember what I was thinking of.

And Slivers are just fucking bullshit.

I don't remember the combo, but my friend made a black-blue deck which would win on turn two with NO way to counter it. Something about a bunch of dark rituals, demonic tutors and a 12/12 trample haste creature for three on turn one, then a win on turn two.

I'll have to find out the combo and post it, it's the most broken shit I've ever seen.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-25 19:21:32 Reply

You better tell me; I want to copy it. Well, I just bought two new packs, can anyone tell me if the cards I think are good are actually good?
Melira's Keepers (Against infect)
Sangromancer
Turn the tide
Lead the Stampede
Kuldotha Flamefiend
Phyresis
Concussive Bolt
Rally the forces.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-26 08:08:34 Reply

At 3/25/11 07:21 PM, letiger wrote: You better tell me; I want to copy it. Well, I just bought two new packs, can anyone tell me if the cards I think are good are actually good?

That's an awesome card against infect - keep using it to block the biggest thing with Infect and your opponent will get infuriated, particularly if they are attacking with a darksteel colossus.

Mind you, if they are attacking with an 11/11 with infect, you're pretty boned by everything else, anyway :P

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-27 01:27:46 Reply

You know how you know you're absorbed in this game? When you punch 'G' into your search bar and 'gatherer' beats out 'google'. Anyway...

Very nearly done with my EDH deck, though I've switched the General to Geth, Lord of the Vault over from Lim-Dul, though he'll still be making an appearance as an underling in the deck. It's actually working pretty well, and I just need a few more pieces. A Nezumi Graverobber here, an Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni there, and it's good to go.

Also working on a deck for Szadek, lord of Secrets. I'll post it later if anyone is interested.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-27 19:54:26 Reply

At 3/26/11 08:08 AM, Coop wrote:
At 3/25/11 07:21 PM, letiger wrote: You better tell me; I want to copy it. Well, I just bought two new packs, can anyone tell me if the cards I think are good are actually good?
That's an awesome card against infect - keep using it to block the biggest thing with Infect and your opponent will get infuriated, particularly if they are attacking with a darksteel colossus.

Mind you, if they are attacking with an 11/11 with infect, you're pretty boned by everything else, anyway :P

I'll just kill it with my 12/12 or 15/15. Course both of them are a bitch to put out and then would be taken down to 1/1 or 4/4.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-28 07:10:36 Reply

Alternativelly, you could use something like Condemn on that 11/11 Blightsteel Collossus...

BBS Signature
Leeloo-Minai
Leeloo-Minai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-29 10:01:35 Reply

At 3/28/11 07:10 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Alternativelly, you could use something like Condemn on that 11/11 Blightsteel Collossus...

Or a nice Sudden Spoiling.

Sudden Spoiling + Mannichi, the Fever Dream = only your creatues left