00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Magic: The Gathering Klub

85,456 Views | 578 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-13 12:24:02

An awesome move :

Have Artisan of Kozilek in hand along with zombify
Get more than 8 cards
Discard Artisan
Use zombify
Bring him onto battlefield
Don't have to pay 9 mana ;O

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 04:36:04

At 3/13/11 12:24 PM, letiger wrote: An awesome move :

Have Artisan of Kozilek in hand along with zombify
Get more than 8 cards
Discard Artisan
Use zombify
Bring him onto battlefield
Don't have to pay 9 mana ;O

The alternative is a discard outlet, no need to keep full hands as you can keep playing spells.

Something like Fauna Shaman will do the job quite nicely. Dump artisan in the bin, search up another creature. Next turn zombify :D

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com

Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 04:40:56

At 3/12/11 04:05 PM, betato wrote: Hello! RoE user here....i also like artifact cards....anyone know a good profilerate combo? with less poison counter techniques coz' it's so cliche~

These guys love counters on them.

As do these guys.

I personally like the synergy with Ajani Goldmane and proliferate. Double +1/+1 counters on all your creatures, while Ajani doesn't lose any counters :3

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 09:24:44

At 3/11/11 09:43 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: My advise for getting back into Magic would be finding your local hobby group.

I'll try that out. I'm relatively close to a store called Hairy Tarantula that my buddy goes to every Monday and I think Fridays, that is full of Magic stuff, events, other role-playing games, and you can go there just to play as well. I'll check it out.

I would say M:tG Online, sadly, should be left to experianced players as it's easy to get buttraped on there as a n00b.

I wasn't thinking about doing this as well. I like the physical cards rather the digital form, but maybe later on if I really get into it, I might consider it.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 09:40:32

ya i love the magic card game it was the best and one of my friends teached me how to play he had an unbeatable deck

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 10:59:33

At 3/14/11 09:24 AM, UnknownFear wrote:
At 3/11/11 09:43 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: My advise for getting back into Magic would be finding your local hobby group.
I'll try that out. I'm relatively close to a store called Hairy Tarantula that my buddy goes to every Monday and I think Fridays, that is full of Magic stuff, events, other role-playing games, and you can go there just to play as well. I'll check it out.

Get out there and play. Talk to the TO and they usually hitch you up with some opponants. Ignore the competative 'tournament players' if they give you stick about how your deck "sucks" unless you genuinelly want to get competative, as they look at decks through the lens of decks that win big tournaments and decks that don't. They will, however, be your key to progressing up to higher levels of play.

If you do want to get into tournament play at some point, you need thick skin and a nose for bullshit. You''l have to take some harsh criticism until you have the skills to build tournament winning decks. There's a massive different between a really cool combo (and everyone loves cool combos :3) and a game winning, consistent, resilient strategy. Not every competative deck is fun to play, and not every fun deck is going to win FNMs.

At 3/14/11 09:24 AM, UnknownFear wrote:
At 3/11/11 09:43 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: I would say M:tG Online, sadly, should be left to experianced players as it's easy to get buttraped on there as a n00b.
I wasn't thinking about doing this as well. I like the physical cards rather the digital form, but maybe later on if I really get into it, I might consider it.

Personally, I think M:TGO's only use is for daily 'grinding' (playing daily events for booster prizes), which really help you improve your tournament game, practice drafting (which gets really, really expensive if you're not too carefull) and join M:TGO pro-tour qualifiers.

It really is more for the tournament player as all the casual formats are much more fun in paper form (especially Commander/EDH) where you can physically talk to people and have a laugh. Much more social that way.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 11:44:40

At 3/14/11 10:59 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Magic stuff :3

Thanks for giving me more advice on getting back into Magic. I'll probably stick to the casual game play as I don't particularly want to get into tournaments and the like as I've heard it can be pretty expensive. A buddy of mine spends a LOT of money practically every month just on Magic, and I don't want to get into it that badly.

Also, what does EDH and Commander mean? I've heard of FNM as Friday Night Magic, so that's cool :P

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 12:58:43

At 3/14/11 11:44 AM, UnknownFear wrote:
At 3/14/11 10:59 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Magic stuff :3
Thanks for giving me more advice on getting back into Magic. I'll probably stick to the casual game play as I don't particularly want to get into tournaments and the like as I've heard it can be pretty expensive.

Any time. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Magic from a Player's point of view. Casual is a more then respectable way of playing M:tG and is in fact the way Richard Garfield (creator of Magic) wanted Magic to be played.

Tournaments are an option, not an obligation, to playing Magic.

A buddy of mine spends a LOT of money practically every month just on Magic, and I don't want to get into it that badly.

Magic is a hobby. Some hobbys eat up money, while others simply present the temptation to the hobbies to spend a little or spent a lot. I've spent plenty of cash on this game, not regretted a single penny of it. I'm both a casual and a tournament player, so I get plenty of 'miles' out of my purchases.

Also, what does EDH and Commander mean? I've heard of FNM as Friday Night Magic, so that's cool :P

Commander, formerly known as EDH (Eldar Dragon Highlander), is a casual varient of Magic. The name was changed earlier this year as part of the process of supporting, and releasing product for, casual game varients. EDH was renamed to Commander to bring it in line with the name of the online equivillent.

The game involves 2 or more players, ideally 4 or more, and you play it with 100 card decks. It's super wacky, super broken and you can play almost any card ever printed.

Some EDH decks are themed around a creature or spell type, others are based around a bunch of combos, and some are just a collection of cards put together so you can join in the fun (My first one was this kind of deck, it's slowly evolved into a massive creature beatdown deck over the last 2 years)

If you're interested in it, I'll post the rules I remember off by heart below. I'll ignore General damage for now as it makes the game a bit more complicated then a new player needs it to be, but all the 'official' rules are here. Again, as it's a casual format, the rules posted in the link and below are merely guidelines (along with the 'official' banned list) and you should feel free to change, add or get rid of rules as fits your play group.

Rules, the condensed Skeleton Gimp version:

Basics:
1. Each player must play a deck of exactly 100 cards.

2. Each deck must contain atleast 1 legendary who acts as the 'General' or 'Commander'

3. Each Deck may only contain 1 of any card, except basic lands.

4. Each Player's deck must be colour 'aligned' with their Commander (See the "Commander" section)

Commander:

1. As previously stated, each deck must have at least 1 legendary creature to serve as the deck's "Commander".

2. Decks must be aligned to the Commander's colours. This means a deck can only play cards that share colours with the general or are colourless. You may only produce coloured mana that matches the colour of your general, if you would produce any other colour it produces colourless instead.

In simple terms, if your Commander for example is Blue, you can only play blue and colourless spells in your deck and your lands can only make blue and/or colourless mana.

Example situation: If your lands suddenly produce red, for example by being turned into a mountain by an effect, you can only produce colourless from those lands affected.

If a card shows a mana symbol, it can only be played if all of those mana symbols match your Commander's colours. It a land, doesn't show colours outside of your Commander and can make colour of any mana, for example Vivid Creek, it can be played in your deck. It still, however, can only produce blue or colourless mana as your Commander in this example is blue.

3. If a Commander has abilities that show coloured mana symbols, these will count towards your general's colour.

For example, your general is green but has an ability that costs red mana to play. This general's colours will be red and green for the purpose of deck construction.

The Command Zone

1. Rather then starting the game in the library, each player's Commander starts the game in the 'Command Zone'. This zone counts as being outside of the game. Cards that say you can search for cards outside of the game do not effect the command zone as it is seperate from the Exiled, or Removed From Game (RFG) zone.

2. A player may play their Commander from the Command zone any time they normally can cast that spell. Most of the time this is during the Player's Main Phases, when they normally can play creatures and sorcories, but Commanders with Flash can be played at any time a player can play an instant as normal. All costs of the Commander must be paid as normal, including all Mana costs and additional costs (eg: sacrificing permanents)

3. When a Commander is exiled (removed from the game) or sent to the graveyard by any effect, instead the Commander goes back to the Command zone. A Commander that has been sent back to the Command Zone will cost an additional 2 colourless mana to 'replay' for every time it has been sent back to the Command Zone.
For example, a Commander costs 1 green. After it 'dies' for the first time, it will cost 2 colourless and 1 green to recast, after the second 4 colourless and 1 green and so on.

That's most of the "basics" for Commander. There's a lot to take in and understand and the easiest way to do that is to sit down and talk to Commander players. A lot of them may still reffer the game to EDH (Eldar Dragon Highlander) so start off the convo reffering to it as that.

Once you got a firm grip of EDH, you will soon find it's about the wackiest, most funny and most fun multiplayer/casual varient of magic that has ever existed and leads to some pretty epic nights.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 13:09:17

At 3/14/11 12:58 PM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Any time. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Magic from a Player's point of view. Casual is a more then respectable way of playing M:tG and is in fact the way Richard Garfield (creator of Magic) wanted Magic to be played.

Sounds awesome. Haven't played in awhile, I'd say least 2 months. Kinda want to play right now :D

Magic is a hobby. Some hobbys eat up money, while others simply present the temptation to the hobbies to spend a little or spent a lot. I've spent plenty of cash on this game, not regretted a single penny of it. I'm both a casual and a tournament player, so I get plenty of 'miles' out of my purchases.

No idea how far I'll get into Magic, but if I do, I may try and stick as a casual player and not go for the tournaments.

Commander, formerly known as EDH (Eldar Dragon Highlander), is a casual varient of Magic. The name was changed earlier this year as part of the process of supporting, and releasing product for, casual game varients. EDH was renamed to Commander to bring it in line with the name of the online equivillent.

Awesome!!

Those rules are epic :P

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 13:26:11

At 3/14/11 01:09 PM, UnknownFear wrote:
No idea how far I'll get into Magic, but if I do, I may try and stick as a casual player and not go for the tournaments.

Just go to your local play group and stick with the casual guys. Hell, run a Magic night in your bedroom/basement/kitchen like me and my friends do every Tuesday and weekends.

Awesome!!

It most definatly is.

Those rules are epic :P

Glad you like 'em :D

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 18:12:44

Can anyone rate the deck I posted on the last page? Also, I'm about to get that 15/15 Eldrazi and a Phyrexian Dreadnought.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 21:16:46

At 3/14/11 01:26 PM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Just go to your local play group and stick with the casual guys. Hell, run a Magic night in your bedroom/basement/kitchen like me and my friends do every Tuesday and weekends.

I'll probably go with a buddy of mine next Monday.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-14 21:21:47

I only get to play magic on mondays. Quick! Someone get a webcam so we can play >:D

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 01:06:49

I just noticed something about those two cards I got. Imagine having 5 swamps or anything that you can use for zombify and Phyrexian Dreadnought. I cast Phyrexian Dreadnought and sacrifice my Emrakul. I use zombify to bring Emrakul to the battlefield. I take another turn. I attack with Phyrexian Dreadnought and it tramples X damage. Emrakul has flying so you cannot block (In most cases). Either this will kill the person instantly or cause them to sacrifice 6 permanents.

I cannot wait to use this on someone.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 05:11:43

At 3/15/11 01:06 AM, letiger wrote: I just noticed something about those two cards I got. Imagine having 5 swamps or anything that you can use for zombify and Phyrexian Dreadnought. I cast Phyrexian Dreadnought and sacrifice my Emrakul. I use zombify to bring Emrakul to the battlefield. I take another turn. I attack with Phyrexian Dreadnought and it tramples X damage. Emrakul has flying so you cannot block (In most cases). Either this will kill the person instantly or cause them to sacrifice 6 permanents.

I cannot wait to use this on someone.

Sadly, as awesome as that sounds, it doesn't quite work like that.

Emrakul's extra turn ability only works if you cast him. This usually means playing him from your hand, but there are spells that say 'cast' or 'play' a certain spell. Zombify doesn't play or cast cards from the graveyard, instead it just moves them from the graveyard to the battlefield. Emrakul is never cast during that process.

The other snag in the works is the fact Emrakul has a graveyard trigger. This means it has an ability that triggers the moment it hits the graveyard.

Emrakul's graveyard trigger is to shuffle Emrakul, and your graveyard, into your library. Kinda kills the zombify strategy.

My advice, go for something like Blightsteel Colossus or Grave Titanv as they are on colour to your deck.

Blightsteel will kill your opponant usually within one or two turns and Grave Titan can make an absurd amount of guys. His ability also triggers when he enters the battlefield, meaning when you zombify Grave Titan you get two 2/2 zombie to boot :D!

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 07:01:29

Dude, I love my Faery deck. Errbody like, "That shit sucks it's all faeries," until you get a fuck load of strong ass faeries up in your face and you can't use spells cuz I'll counter like a mu'fucka.

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 07:19:35

At 3/15/11 07:01 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Dude, I love my Faery deck. Errbody like, "That shit sucks it's all faeries," until you get a fuck load of strong ass faeries up in your face and you can't use spells cuz I'll counter like a mu'fucka.

It's good. Faeries is currently the 'best' deck in Extended.

In competative tournament builds, the combination of spellstutter sprite, bitterblossom, Vendillon Clique and mistbind clique just face rapes opponants.

Thoughtseize and inquisition of kozilek seal the deal.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 10:08:01

not bad..any living weapon combos?

"Oh well, that's life...Let's just bear with it..."

Let's Play! Or Pawn Me Here! and Here!

Don't blame me if you wont like this last link...

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 10:11:06

At 3/15/11 09:56 AM, Leeloo-Minai wrote: Straight black, direct damage/life gain. Cards are from all sorts of sets, so it doesn't see much play time. But it doesn't lose either.. you be the judge.

2x Chainer, dementia master
1x Lim-Dul, necromancer
1x Toshiro Umezawa
1x Laquatus's champion
1x hypnotic spectre
1x roiling horror
1x highway robber
1x child of night
1x crypt ripper

4x soul spike
2x soul feast
3x consume spirit
2x tendrils of corruption
1x last gasp
1x diabolic edict
3x Tsabo's decree
3x demon's horn
2x well of lost dreams
3x sign in blood
3x sudden spoiling
1x consume the meek
2x sudden death
1x underworld dreams
1x phyrexian arena

22x swamp
3x subterranean hangar
1x peat bog

Pretty much just zap your opponent's creatures with the creature spells and suck their life total dry once the swamps have built up. Winning strategy gets the Wells out and abuses the draw card ability. Very, very few decks have even come close to beating this deck, though I'm sure no tournement would allow it.

Lgeacy tournaments will allow it as its legacy legal.

A few issues with the deck:

Why so many singletons? Decks are usually much much better when they play multiples of spells. More copies of a spell, more chances of seeing it and therefore more consistant.

The strategy, while admirable, seems like it isn't as fast as it can be. Again, singletons don't help you in this case and I'm not sure your deck can abuse Tendrils of Agony to its full advantage. Ever looked up a deck called Ad-Nausium Tendrils (ANT)?

ANT is pretty expensive, especially when you add in original dual lands and chrome mox/mox diamond, but it is a tonne more consistant at doing what your deck is trying to achieve (drain life) and can win turns 2/3 on an alarmingly regular basis (7-8 games out of 10 I've played with various ANT games lasted no more then 3 turns)

The other recommendation I would suggest is replace Crypt Ripper/child of night for Vampire Knighthawks. Creatures that pump up are all well and good till your opponant lets it pump up then kills it. It's like they got a free turn as you dumped all your mana into the Ripper rather then playing other spells. Comparing child of night to Knighthawk, knighthawk wins out. One extra mana for two extra points of toughness, flying and deathtouch is amazing.

Those are suggestings/ideas to begin with, there are others but I think its best if you go back and analyse the deck yourself, see what's going right and wrong with it. Maybe test it against more competative decks to see if you can improve your game/card choices.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-15 15:14:25

At 3/15/11 05:11 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:

What if, Instead, I buy a few forests and get a few elvish pipers (That may or may not be the right card) into my deck. Would that count as casting him?

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-16 04:54:25

At 3/15/11 03:14 PM, letiger wrote:
At 3/15/11 05:11 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
What if, Instead, I buy a few forests and get a few elvish pipers (That may or may not be the right card) into my deck. Would that count as casting him?

No, again that's a way of 'cheating' him onto the battlefield without having to cast him, but it does work unlike zombify.

The best way to 'cheat' Emrakul is one of three ways. Go green/blue and play lots of token producing cards, but have Emrakul as your only creature in the deck. Play polymorph, or mass polymorph, on one of your token creatures and hey presto! You don't get a free turn, but a 15/15 trampling flyer that forces your opponant to sac 6 dudes normally forces a conceed on the spot unless they have a way to deal with it there and then.

The third option is to go black, blue, white (Esper) and play 4 copies of emrakul along with brilliant ultimatum. Play lots of counter spells, board sweepers (like Day of Judgement) and maybe the odd ramp card like Everflowing Chalice. Cast Brilliant Ultimatum and hope Emrakul is on top.

Brilliant Ultimatum lets you 'cast' Emrakul too, so you get your free turn!

The third and final way of playing Emrakul is playing Mono Green ramp. Play loads of ramp spells, special lands called Eldrazi Temple and Eye of Ugin to go look for your eldrazi. Once you got 15 mana, 'hard cast' Emrakul (paying for his actual mana cost) and get your extra turn and 15/15 flying monster.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-16 11:26:14

At 3/16/11 09:15 AM, Leeloo-Minai wrote: Was it thran turbine or some other 3 mana artifact that's let's you add two colorless mana whenever you sac a creature. Using the eldrazi spawn tokens, that'd be 3 per creature, plus whatever you're producing otherwise.

It doesn't quite work like that. The sacrifice effect on Eldrazi Spawn is a cost effect, meaning you have to choose to sac them for the one colourless. This means you can't sac them for a seperate effect, such as Thran Turbine, since you have to choose one of the other.

On top of that, Thran Turbine doesn't work like that. Thran Turbine adds 1 or 2 colourless mana at the beginning of your upkeep, but you can't use the mana to play spells. It's usefull for paying for activation costs, or paying upkeep costs and such, but as you can't use it to pay for casting costs it's a bit naff for casting eldrazi.

Trust me, Eldrazi Temple combined with eldrazi spawn is the way to go.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-16 21:12:01

Question about colorless mana, can it count for say, forest/mountain/swamp/island/plains, or only for the generic number?

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-17 07:41:10

At 3/16/11 09:12 PM, letiger wrote: Question about colorless mana, can it count for say, forest/mountain/swamp/island/plains, or only for the generic number?

Colourless is as described, colourless. Colourless mana can only pay for colourless costs (the numbers in circles)

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-17 20:12:31

If you've never heard of them before, check this channel out. Their weekly MTV is good for listening to as podcasts. And that's Magic TV, not well.. you know. Anyways, has anyone heard of trade cards online? I'd like to play some of you guys with the deck I currently have and it'd give me something to do when I'm bored.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-17 21:33:22

Hello, my name is [...} and I am addicted to this game.
I just love the strategy aspect of it, and that within a reasonable amount of money, you can't just buy your skill. Sure, you'll probably buy singles, trade in, buy boosters, and all that, but with a few exceptions, you can't buy a deck, then walk into a tournament and win. Sure, there are those who will drop hundreds for Jace, The Mind Sculptor, and thousands for some in Legacy. Black Lotus, Time Walk, and other broken cards.

The outpourings of a nerd aside, I play in Standard, EDH, and a little bit of Two Headed Giant. For standard I'm running mono-black Vampires, as well as an artifact aggro for when Zendikar is rotated out.
EDH, I have mono-black Necromancy, with Lim-Dûl the Necromancer for a general.

I may link to any of those or post them here in the future, but just tossing my hat in the ring at the moment.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-18 01:17:02

My winning strategy is just to turn cards sideways, and that's just it. No, but seriously, I hardly think about types of decks and etc. Just play it to play. Not really into the turnament thing (Forgot how to spell turnament) unless it's local, you know? And you know what's worse than being addicted? Being addicted and not even able to play.

Which is why I'm stressing Tradecardsonline even more. 'Course I'm too lazy to add my entire deck on there, since it's way to slow just to add one card, but if one of you will play me on that then I'll waste an hour adding the other 130 or so cards to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-18 04:19:34

At 3/17/11 09:33 PM, Patton3 wrote: Hello, my name is [...} and I am addicted to this game.
I just love the strategy aspect of it, and that within a reasonable amount of money, you can't just buy your skill. Sure, you'll probably buy singles, trade in, buy boosters, and all that, but with a few exceptions, you can't buy a deck, then walk into a tournament and win. Sure, there are those who will drop hundreds for Jace, The Mind Sculptor, and thousands for some in Legacy. Black Lotus, Time Walk, and other broken cards.

B/R vampires and RDW decks are still able to win tournaments. For about $100-$150 you can get a decent aggro deck to play at FNM, less than the price of 2 Jace TMS.

Black Lots, Time walk etc are more for hardcore vintage collectors and maybe the odd Vintage player. The most popular pieces of power 9 are actually Moxen, which you can pick up white boarded for a few hundred bucks or less.

The outpourings of a nerd aside, I play in Standard, EDH, and a little bit of Two Headed Giant. For standard I'm running mono-black Vampires, as well as an artifact aggro for when Zendikar is rotated out.

Ever thought about going R/B vampires? It's winning tournaments and plays super fast and aggressive. Some say it's better then RDW.

EDH, I have mono-black Necromancy, with Lim-Dûl the Necromancer for a general.

Nice. I assume you're playing all the Dread Return/Reanimate effects you can fit in? Also, consider getting a Necropotence if you don't have one. White boarded ones are pretty cheap.

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-18 16:59:36

Hey guys, guess what came in the mail today?

Magic: The Gathering Klub

BBS Signature

Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub 2011-03-19 17:12:53

At 3/19/11 09:18 AM, Leeloo-Minai wrote:
At 3/18/11 04:59 PM, letiger wrote: Hey guys, guess what came in the mail today?
Good creatures to steal?

I guess. Just visit me at 4*** * ** ****** #**.

BBS Signature