New Topic Respond to this Topic
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 07:36 AM Reply

Glad to see these topic has had a bit of a revival. I love M:tG and its nice to see some regular posters on here besides myself.

Anywho, want to shout out to some peeps, see if anyone here likes to play competatively. Specifically in the Legacy format.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008
Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com
Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 3/30/11 07:36 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Glad to see these topic has had a bit of a revival. I love M:tG and its nice to see some regular posters on here besides myself.

Anywho, want to shout out to some peeps, see if anyone here likes to play competitively. Specifically in the Legacy format.

I have a Lock-down deck that's pretty loathed. It's based around
Sen Triplets and Drain Power (attached to an Isochron Scepter) which eliminates their ability to counter anything and let's me use their own spells against them, with such cards as Mana Web and Orim's Chant to shut them down during their own turns. Of course there are still fall backs such as Dissipate. I also use Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, as opponents can't cast spells of the same name. It get's pretty mean.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Mar. 31st, 2011 @ 03:22 AM Reply

At 3/30/11 04:04 PM, Patton3 wrote: I have a Lock-down deck that's pretty loathed. It's based around
Sen Triplets and Drain Power (attached to an Isochron Scepter) which eliminates their ability to counter anything and let's me use their own spells against them, with such cards as Mana Web and Orim's Chant to shut them down during their own turns. Of course there are still fall backs such as Dissipate. I also use Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, as opponents can't cast spells of the same name. It get's pretty mean.

Sen Triplets is ok, but I'd much rather run a Mindslaver or Pickles lock.

Icecream Scepter (as Isochron is nicknamed) seems good for casual and EDH, but in legacy it's more of a wiff since you're running plenty of the same cards anyways and there's a tonne of artifact hate. Pithin Needle or Phyrexian Revoker also sad face you since you effectively lose two cards to them playing one (Pithing Needle/Phyrexian Revoker shut down your Scepter, meaning you also lose the card underneath it)

If you're looking for a good tournament 'lockdown' deck, try looking at Trinisphere decks. There are some relativelly cheap ones around. The other option is go CounterTop (Counter Balance and Sensei's Divining Top combo) but that costs a bit more cash.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Mar. 31st, 2011 @ 05:21 AM Reply

At 3/28/11 07:10 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Alternativelly, you could use something like Condemn on that 11/11 Blightsteel Collossus...

I find that Oblivion Rings work well, as do most of the blue counter spells.

I have one that prevents the spell, unless the controller pays 2 colourless for each wizard in play. Since I play with a deck composed of about 80% merfolk wizards, they are usually unable to cast.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Mar. 31st, 2011 @ 07:01 AM Reply

At 3/31/11 05:21 AM, Coop wrote:
At 3/28/11 07:10 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Alternativelly, you could use something like Condemn on that 11/11 Blightsteel Collossus...
I find that Oblivion Rings work well, as do most of the blue counter spells.

I have one that prevents the spell, unless the controller pays 2 colourless for each wizard in play. Since I play with a deck composed of about 80% merfolk wizards, they are usually unable to cast.

Hmm, which card is that? Sounds like Spellstutter on crack. Saying that, I play a merfolk deck too, it's actually pretty competative and can get you to t8 tables with the right build for the right meta.

Anywho, I might be tempted to post my legacy Merfolk deck on here if people show interest. Can't be arsed at the moment and if no one cares I don't want to make wasted effort, lol.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Mar. 31st, 2011 @ 06:37 PM Reply

At 3/31/11 03:22 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
At 3/30/11 04:04 PM, Patton3 wrote:
Sen Triplets is ok, but I'd much rather run a Mindslaver or Pickles lock.

Icecream Scepter (as Isochron is nicknamed) seems good for casual and EDH, but in legacy it's more of a wiff since you're running plenty of the same cards anyways and there's a tonne of artifact hate. Pithin Needle or Phyrexian Revoker also sad face you since you effectively lose two cards to them playing one (Pithing Needle/Phyrexian Revoker shut down your Scepter, meaning you also lose the card underneath it)

This is more of a "fun" deck, and I don't use it competitively. It's more for playing with a group of friends, and being able to pull off some fun combos.
Though what you mentioned with Phyrexian Revoker has happened a few times, although I usually keep a Dissipate in hand, and I can sometimes hit it with a Sadistic Sacrament before it becomes an issue.

If you're looking for a good tournament 'lockdown' deck, try looking at Trinisphere decks. There are some relativelly cheap ones around. The other option is go CounterTop (Counter Balance and Sensei's Divining Top combo) but that costs a bit more cash.

I confess I don't play in a lot of tournaments (I play in a few local ones, some stuff my shop holds, etc.) What I've been thinking about with Phyrexian Revoker, Sadistic Sacrament, Circu, and similar cards, and just shut down their deck before it gets rolling. All of the above is cheap, and rather effective, so building off the above, I might be able to build something competitive.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 07:52 AM Reply

At 3/31/11 06:37 PM, Patton3 wrote: This is more of a "fun" deck, and I don't use it competitively. It's more for playing with a group of friends, and being able to pull off some fun combos.
Though what you mentioned with Phyrexian Revoker has happened a few times, although I usually keep a Dissipate in hand, and I can sometimes hit it with a Sadistic Sacrament before it becomes an issue.

What ever suits your purpose. However, I would look at putting artifact hate in the sideboard to deal with Needle. Revoker is much easier to deal with, being a creature, but having specific artifact hate against the Needle, which sounds like it hurts your deck quite a bit, is a must to protect your Scepters.

I confess I don't play in a lot of tournaments (I play in a few local ones, some stuff my shop holds, etc.) What I've been thinking about with Phyrexian Revoker, Sadistic Sacrament, Circu, and similar cards, and just shut down their deck before it gets rolling. All of the above is cheap, and rather effective, so building off the above, I might be able to build something competitive.

Sadistic Sacrement is pretty good. You should also look at Cranial Extraction/Memoricide as they just rape combo decks if allowed to resolve (target the key combo pieces. After sideboarding it also shows you what they've boarded in as you can look at their deck while searching for the cards to remove. That kind of information is powerfull to say the least)

BBS Signature
Leeloo-Minai
Leeloo-Minai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 11:28 AM Reply

Someone say Szadek? Tossed this one together just after the -tide expansion. I still think Ravnica has some of the best cards.
---------------------
2x countersquall
2x undermine
2x lobotomy
2x soul manipulation
2x clutch of the undercity
2x glimpse the unthinkable
2x beacon of unrest
2x psychic drain
3x unearth
3x mind spring
3x circu, dimir lobotomist
3x glen elendra liege
3x royal assassin
2x sedraxis alchemist
2x doomsday spectre
2x ghastlord of fugue
2x dimir cutpurse
2x dimir doppelganger
2x dimir infiltrator
2x phyrexian slayer
1x oona, queen of the fae
1x szadek, lord of secrets
1x sygg, river cutthroat

SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 4/1/11 11:28 AM, Leeloo-Minai wrote: I still think Ravnica has some of the best cards.

Sac land searchable dual lands. EDH staples, such as legendary generals of amazing calibure and EDH staple double colour producing enemy and allied lands.

QTF!

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:35 PM Reply

I just tore down my two decks and built another one. I think it's better, but I haven't played with it yet. Will post results tommorow.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 4th, 2011 @ 05:11 AM Reply

Don't forget to post a deck list with them results :D

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 07:01 PM Reply

Afterschool was canceled, so I coudn't play with my new deck. I did however build a short,sweet to the point 40ish card deck.

A few things to note:
Emrakul, The Aeons Torn (A deck that tries to hard-cast him)
Phyrexian Dreadnought
Artisan of Kozilek
Of its 16 creatures, 9 are elves
14 cards in the deck are forests.

-Main elves-
Wirewood Channeler
Joraga Treespeaker
Fierce Empath (If emrakul is not in my hand)
Krosan Drover (I need clarification on this. When it says creature spells, that means summoning creatures? So Emrakul would turn into a 13 cost creature)

-Other Useful cards-
Sprouting Vines
Fangren Marauder (Need something to block with)
Hunters' Feast x2 (I HAVE to take damage sometime. Need to protect my elves)
Lead the Stampede (Also useful in the same way as Fierce Empath though not as much)
Spider Umbra

I didn't post all the cards in it, however.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 4/5/11 07:01 PM, letiger wrote: Of its 16 creatures, 9 are elves
-Main elves-
Wellwishers
Wellwishers
Wellwishers
Wellwishers
-Other Useful cards-
Wellwishers
Wellwishers
Wellwishers
Wellwishers
Wellwishers

I didn't post all the cards in it, however.

Yeah, you forgot the rest of the mother fucking Wellwishers.

Did someone say Elves?

Magic: The Gathering Klub

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 09:28 PM Reply

Did I also say I made it out of cards that I had. I only have ~300 cards, not 10,000.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 09:38 PM Reply

There are some cards coming out in this new set that are just... incredible. New Gauntlet of Power? Check. Massive planeswalker? Check. I'm thinking of a lockdown now that I see some of the new stuff we'll be getting.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 09:43 PM Reply

Post pictures of them; at the very least some descriptions. I'm too lazy to actually search for them myself.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 6th, 2011 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Sorry about that.
The new Gauntlet of Power I was talking about is Caged Sun:
6cc
When Caged Sun enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Creatures you control of the chosen color have +1/+1.
Whenever you tap a land for one or more mana of the chosen color, add one mana of the chosen color to your mana pool.

Then there's Phyrexian Canceler (my personal favorite thus far):
4cc
5/5
Trample
Whenever a source deals damage to Phyrexian Canceller, that source's controller sacrifices that many permanents.

And our new Planeswalker: Karn, the Released
7cc
6 loyalty
+4: Target player exiles a card from his or her hand.
-3: Exile target permanent.
-14: Set aside all non-aura permanents exiled by Karn, then restart the game. Then put all cards set aside this way onto the battlefield under your control.

There's also a new cost. It's the Phyrexian symbol, and it can be payed with either a given mana color, or two life.

That's what I found most interesting out of the cards I've seen leaked.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 6th, 2011 @ 05:38 PM Reply

An Elf deck without Wellwishers is just a deck with elves...

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 6th, 2011 @ 06:55 PM Reply

That planeswalker is epic. Also watch this.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 02:34 AM Reply

At 4/6/11 06:55 PM, letiger wrote: That planeswalker is epic.

And yet people are still whining about the mana cost.

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 09:47 PM Reply

Nightmare fuel.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 12:16 AM Reply

Epicness has just happened.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 4/9/11 12:16 AM, letiger wrote: Epicness has just happened.

Is that that magic game they have the banner ads for sometimes?

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 06:04 PM Reply

Cool shit

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 4/11/11 04:35 PM, Lagerkapo wrote:
At 4/9/11 12:16 AM, letiger wrote: Epicness has just happened.
Is that that magic game they have the banner ads for sometimes?

It's tradecardsonline.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 12th, 2011 @ 09:00 PM Reply

Just bought a deckbuilder's toolkit and holy shit did it help me so much with my elf deck. And there's still a ton of cards that I have no purpose for. I might look through those later. Oh, and I got one mythic in all those cards.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 13th, 2011 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 4/12/11 09:00 PM, letiger wrote: Just bought a deckbuilder's toolkit and holy shit did it help me so much with my elf deck. And there's still a ton of cards that I have no purpose for. I might look through those later. Oh, and I got one mythic in all those cards.

Toolkit is probably one of the best thinks a new player to Magic can get. Once they've got a firm grasp on how to play and build a deck, I highly recommend going down the route of building a tool kit. It's a fantastic product.

Anyways, sorry for absence guys, was sick with stomach flu :(

Looking forward to Grand Prix London atm, here's hoping to a Day 2 apperance. If I scrub out, there's always the Legacy side events.

BBS Signature
Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 13th, 2011 @ 06:39 PM Reply

I have a question those. I've seen online about cases that cost $500+ dollars. How many cards are in those things?

BBS Signature
Leeloo-Minai
Leeloo-Minai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 17th, 2011 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 3/16/11 09:15 AM, Leeloo-Minai wrote: Was it thran turbine or some other 3 mana artifact that's let's you add two colorless mana whenever you sac a creature. Using the eldrazi spawn tokens, that'd be 3 per creature, plus whatever you're producing otherwise.

Ashnod's Altar.

Not Thran Turbine.

Completely Broken.

Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Magic: The Gathering Klub Apr. 17th, 2011 @ 11:18 AM Reply

Just because it's broken dosen't mean you can't use it. Well, unless they're banned.

BBS Signature