00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TarikNakich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

42,063 Views | 588 Replies

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:19:50

At 7/31/12 01:11 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 7/30/12 10:02 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: for a host country holding the olympics it isn't doing very well performance wise is it?
We actually haven't had that many clear chances at medals yet. Our preferred events are week long affairs and/or haven't started yet. So doon't you worry your pretty little head about our medal tally.

that was said in bejieng and what did that produce? Only 47 medals. America and china had almost three times that.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:31:06

At 7/31/12 01:19 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
that was said in bejieng and what did that produce? Only 47 medals. America and china had almost three times that.

Lol what are you on about? Thats a lot of medals for our nation. If we manage to match that 47 then I'd be well happy, as would the rest of the nation. We're not a big competing power house whos motion is to just win win win you know.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:37:18

The Olympics are possibly the worst thing to happen to any country and leads to

>authoritarianism
>corporatism
>nationalism

all of these things are terrible

i hope the games are ruined

Stop looking

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:44:13

At 7/31/12 01:19 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 7/31/12 01:11 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 7/30/12 10:02 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: for a host country holding the olympics it isn't doing very well performance wise is it?
We actually haven't had that many clear chances at medals yet. Our preferred events are week long affairs and/or haven't started yet. So doon't you worry your pretty little head about our medal tally.

Yeah, but USA and China also have about three times as much athletes at the games.

Anyway: The first medal for the german team! WOHOOO! "Only" Silver, but it's still better than nothing, right? Thank you, Britta!

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:48:17

Alex your post makes me sad.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:49:07

At 7/31/12 01:48 AM, Gagsy wrote: Alex your post makes me sad.

it's just dirt, love

nothing but dirt

Stop looking

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:51:37

At 7/31/12 01:49 AM, SCUD14 wrote:
it's just dirt, love

nothing but dirt

I also didn't mean to use that misleading emoticon. Old habit.

And I cannot disagree with you harder I'm afraid, which makes me sad.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 01:56:58

America has the best athletes. End of discussion.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 02:34:13

At 7/31/12 01:56 AM, yugimt wrote: America has the best athletes. End of discussion.

America is a continent, not a country.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 02:37:43

At 7/31/12 02:34 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 7/31/12 01:56 AM, yugimt wrote: America has the best athletes. End of discussion.

So, who're you rooting for; East Germany or West Germany?

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 02:44:46

At 7/31/12 01:44 AM, Haggard wrote:
Anyway: The first medal for the german team! WOHOOO! "Only" Silver, but it's still better than nothing, right? Thank you, Britta!

Surely the Germs are up for a medal in Equestrian today. Of course I wouldn't mind us pipping you to the post. The cross country was quite exciting yesterday once I got into it.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 03:11:47

That has no relation to the topic what so ever, stop going off topic, please.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 03:16:07

At 7/31/12 02:37 AM, knightsofthecircle wrote:
So, who're you rooting for; East Germany or West Germany?

East Germany of course. They are just better than anyone else! :D

At 7/31/12 02:44 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 7/31/12 01:44 AM, Haggard wrote: Anyway: The first medal for the german team! WOHOOO! "Only" Silver, but it's still better than nothing, right? Thank you, Britta!
Surely the Germs are up for a medal in Equestrian today. Of course I wouldn't mind us pipping you to the post. The cross country was quite exciting yesterday once I got into it.

Too bad I don't care for Equestrian. :(

Also, why did Timo Boll lose in Table Tennis yesterday? How on earth is it possible that he wins the World Cup 2 times, but has never won a medal at the olympic games, except for Team Medals? :-/

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 03:59:08

At 7/31/12 03:16 AM, Haggard wrote:

Dressage will never make any sense to me. Cross country I get, show jumping I get, but the whole making the horse look pretty and then prancing around.. How is that a sporting event which merits marks?????

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 04:31:21

LMAO at Japan challenging for that silver in Men's Gymnastics. They can't even let Britain come away with a small victory in their own Olympics.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/gb-mens-gymnasts-snatch-s hock-silver-olympics-174837982.html

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 04:47:40

At 7/31/12 04:31 AM, ZJ wrote: LMAO at Japan challenging for that silver in Men's Gymnastics. They can't even let Britain come away with a small victory in their own Olympics.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/gb-mens-gymnasts-snatch-s hock-silver-olympics-174837982.html

Yeah I watched it live yesterday on tv, it was pretty dramatic stuff. We were happy with fighting for that bronze then it got announced that it was silver and it went insane in that place with the noise. I get why they did give more points to Japan after the inquiry (I mean he did land after all, despite messing up big time), but there is still something fishy about that scoring system. A couple of time when China and Japan messed up their scoring didn't get dented much. Seems a little wrong, I can't pretend to be a gym watching expert though, just a lot of points did not seen to reflect what actually happened.

Annoyed a little that we lost the silver but the bronze is still huge for us in gymnastics, like really big. Gutted for Ukraine so badly. It was a great contest between us and them for bronze then Japan mess up and both nations are all smiles. I really was sad for them to lose out after it got announced they had bronze then Japan complained.. Isn't this like twice in 3 days they've complained about the results and got things changed in their favour? It shouldn't happen really.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 04:52:38

Basketball match--The most I like!It starts now.Great!

██ Visit us @ - Currently available for [url=http://sunglasses-onlinestore.

com/] Sunglasses For Sale

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 05:13:28

At 7/31/12 04:47 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 7/31/12 04:31 AM, ZJ wrote: LMAO at Japan challenging for that silver in Men's Gymnastics. They can't even let Britain come away with a small victory in their own Olympics.

Yeah I watched it live yesterday on tv, it was pretty dramatic stuff. We were happy with fighting for that bronze then it got announced that it was silver and it went insane in that place with the noise. I get why they did give more points to Japan after the inquiry (I mean he did land after all, despite messing up big time), but there is still something fishy about that scoring system. A couple of time when China and Japan messed up their scoring didn't get dented much. Seems a little wrong, I can't pretend to be a gym watching expert though, just a lot of points did not seen to reflect what actually happened.

Probably doing more complex routines with higher difficulty, so penalties were coming off a much higher possible total. I've never liked the scoring in a lot of events where it all comes down to judges- the diving is no different. There is always controversy one way or the other.

Watching the water polo at the moment- great match between Hungary and Montenegro going on, two of the top sides in the world. Hungary are looking a bit jaded this tournament having won gold at the last three Olympics.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 07:15:05

At 7/31/12 01:44 AM, Haggard wrote: Yeah, but USA and China also have about three times as much athletes at the games.

Remember the facts are important. You couldn't be more wrong. How many athletes competing for countries (by total athletes competing).

1. Great Britain. 542 athletes.
2. United States. 530 athletes.
3. Russia. 436 athletes.
4. Australia. 410 athletes.
5. Germany. 392 athletes.
6. China. 386 athletes.
7. France. 333 athletes.
8. Japan. 293 athletes.
9. Italy. 284 athletes.
10. Spain. 282 athletes.

So United States (2nd) and China (6th) certainly do not have 3 times as many athletes competing, not even close.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 07:40:10

At 7/31/12 07:15 AM, gamejunkie wrote: Remember the facts are important. You couldn't be more wrong. How many athletes competing for countries (by total athletes competing).

3. Russia. 436 athletes.
6. China. 386 athletes.
7. France. 333 athletes.
8. Japan. 293 athletes.
9. Italy. 284 athletes.
10. Spain. 282 athletes.

So United States (2nd) and China (6th) certainly do not have 3 times as many athletes competing, not even close.

that really says something doesn't it? japan and italy have far less athletes and are leaders in medals compared to britain who has the most athletes and have home field.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 07:54:22

At 7/31/12 07:40 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 7/31/12 07:15 AM, gamejunkie wrote: Remember the facts are important. You couldn't be more wrong. How many athletes competing for countries (by total athletes competing).

3. Russia. 436 athletes.
6. China. 386 athletes.
7. France. 333 athletes.
8. Japan. 293 athletes.
9. Italy. 284 athletes.
10. Spain. 282 athletes.

that really says something doesn't it? japan and italy have far less athletes and are leaders in medals compared to britain who has the most athletes and have home field.

That is rather misleading as a huge number of GB athletes are there by invite only rather than qualifying (handball, volleyball, basketball, water polo to name but a few). Reality is Britain is a smaller country with a smaller budget than the USA and China, and have never seriously threatened their medal haul in the Olympics. Fourth last time was the best we had done by a mile- we only won ONE gold medal in Atlanta!

And it doesn't change the fact that we always do well in rowing and track cycling (which we dominated to such an extent last time that the Olympic commitee has reduced the number of events), and there have been no medals in either yet. By the end of tomorrow we will be a good deal higher in the medals table.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 08:05:14

At 7/31/12 07:15 AM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 7/31/12 01:44 AM, Haggard wrote: Yeah, but USA and China also have about three times as much athletes at the games.
Remember the facts are important. You couldn't be more wrong. How many athletes competing for countries (by total athletes competing).

Please don't take my above post serious. Like, at all.

See above. I was only joking. But it is also a fact that no country spends as much money on training their athlets as China and USA do. If this is a good or a bad thing, I don't know. I couldn't care less which country is leading and who has the biggest team etc. . I just want to enjoy the games and talk about it here. And I also want to talk bullshit a bit. This is Newgrounds, after all. ;)

Anyway: Team gold in Equestrian for Germany. Yay! (Again: Too bad that I don't care about this sport.)

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 08:18:36

At 7/31/12 07:54 AM, Sentio wrote: And it doesn't change the fact that we always do well in rowing and track cycling (which we dominated to such an extent last time that the Olympic commitee has reduced the number of events), and there have been no medals in either yet. By the end of tomorrow we will be a good deal higher in the medals table.

Australia also has an amazing track record in Cycling and a great record in Rowing. And I wouldn't be so smug about dominating 1 Olympic event (cycling) once. Before that it was always Australia in the drivers seat. It's going to be between Australia and England for the major Cycling medals though. And both countries will shoot up the leaderboard.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 08:18:37

At 7/31/12 07:54 AM, Sentio wrote:
That is rather misleading as a huge number of GB athletes are there by invite only rather than qualifying (handball, volleyball, basketball, water polo to name but a few). Reality is Britain is a smaller country with a smaller budget than the USA and China, and have never seriously threatened their medal haul in the Olympics. Fourth last time was the best we had done by a mile- we only won ONE gold medal in Atlanta!

Yeah, I mean this is the first time we've ever been in for ALL events (just because we're hosting). Doesn't mean we're good at all events, by a long long shot, just means we want to really get involved as hosts.

Like I said, to match what we did in Beijing would be amazing.

And it doesn't change the fact that we always do well in rowing and track cycling (which we dominated to such an extent last time that the Olympic commitee has reduced the number of events), and there have been no medals in either yet. By the end of tomorrow we will be a good deal higher in the medals table.

In the words of famous British group throughout the 90s;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSnCtZ3zDnI

At 7/31/12 08:05 AM, Haggard wrote:
Anyway: Team gold in Equestrian for Germany. Yay! (Again: Too bad that I don't care about this sport.)

I shamelessly got right into it. That last German had a very cool head, which I can't deny was annoying as we ended up within 2 points of you guys. But silver is awesome still for us!

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 08:27:05

At 7/31/12 03:16 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 7/31/12 02:37 AM, knightsofthecircle wrote: Surely the Germs are up for a medal in Equestrian today.

You make me sad.

Also some people seem to be whining about the medals on some news sites being fake or some shit, the fact I couldn't really be arsed to read the headline properly goes to show how little it interests me though, that added to the fact the the picture that went with it was a woman who looked like a cunt so if she did get some fake thing I say it was justified.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 09:46:58

You may only post in this thread if your nation has not one a single gold medal. Everyone gtfo.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 09:48:11

At 7/31/12 09:46 AM, CharltonChinchilla wrote: You may only post in this thread if your nation has not one a single gold medal. Everyone gtfo.

You as well, you have not one anything. Not even a grammar competition :P

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 10:12:51

MEDAL COUNT UPDATE

US 18!! LEADING
China: 17 close
Japan: a whooping 11
Italy:8
france: 7
south korea: 6
Russia:
North Korea: 4 (BEST KOREA!)
GB: 4

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 10:18:19

At 7/31/12 09:48 AM, Coop wrote:
You as well, you have not one anything. Not even a grammar competition :P

You're won piece of work you know that?

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-07-31 10:28:04

At 7/31/12 09:48 AM, Coop wrote: You as well, you have not one anything. Not even a grammar competition :P

Dat baiting.

BBS Signature