New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 07:41 AM Reply

"Huge double standards from the IOC. Some athletes sent home for not trying whilst the entire Australian team are allowed to stay!"

I'm sorry. I just saw this and laughed my head off. No disrespect Aussies.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 8/7/12 07:41 AM, Gagsy wrote: "Huge double standards from the IOC. Some athletes sent home for not trying whilst the entire Australian team are allowed to stay!"

I'm sorry. I just saw this and laughed my head off. No disrespect Aussies.

No offence taken (even though I'm officially British) because you're about as close to correct as you could've possibly been.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

Florian Hambuechen wins Silver. Hooray!

But it really is time for another gold medal for team Germany. Come on!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 01:24 PM Reply

Holy fuck @ Russia X Brazil's women volleyball. Shit was ridiculously tense.
Still can't believe we got past that.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 04:17 PM Reply

GOLD for Germany! Robert Harting, Discus Throwing. FUCK YEAH! I'm really happy for him, he seems to be a really nice guy. I'm also happy for Chris Hoy. What better way to end your carrer is there?

NO medal for Matthias Steiner, though. Fuck, I hope the guy is all right. 196 kg smashed on his neck and his leg... :(

Also, FINALLY Germany passes Kazakhstan in the medal count. 27 medals to 7 medals. Just shows how ridiciulous it is to sort the table by Gold medals and not total medals, imo. A few days ago, Russia was trailing behind Germany with (I think) 22 medals for Germany and about 32 medals for Russia, which is just as stupid.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Shit yeah, cunt. Another gold for Australia.

would tap Pearson

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 03:00 PM, Otto wrote: Bolt hangs with Swedish Handball teams now.

because you fucking know you would

I fucking know I would what?

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 04:31 PM, Ejit wrote: Bolt.

Come on, you would.

I would bolt?

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 07:05 PM Reply

Good day with women gymnastics with Raisman racking up two medals, one gold and a bronze. Also Deng Linlin kinda salvaged it for Chinese women gymnastic team by getting gold as well.

As for women beach volleyball, the match up that the U.S. wanted is here.

Two medals is guaranteed, but will Misty May and Walsh three-peat?

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
razem
razem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 07:09 PM Reply

haha the olympics is always great, thanks for this thread.

gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 04:25 PM, Markface wrote: Shit yeah, cunt. Another gold for Australia.

would tap Pearson

OOF! No. I hope your joking.

Australia up to a more credible 11th on the ladder but will jump to 10th later today with another guaranteed Gold for our Sailing Team in the 49'ers basically already having won the Gold, their lead is unassailable, all they have to do is put their boat in the water to get it. LOL! Then we have 1 more excellent chance of Gold in the Sailing, 2 good chances in the BMX racing and a great chance in the Mens Kayak K4. Australia sure aren't going to win but they are making things look a whole lot better than what they were looking last week after the utter disappointments in the swimming, rowing and cycling.

TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

That gymnastics final was a fucking embarrassment. Instead of gracefully accepting defeat, the US girl had to bitch and moan her way to 3rd and knock out a girl from some dirt poor Eastern European shithole.

This is why people don't like us.

I get way too into this.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 10:27 PM Reply

At 8/6/12 08:41 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Hope they win the gold medal although it will be tough being that it is a rematch of the 2011 World Cup. With that said, Solo will have to have one of her best games in her life.

I don't pay that much attention to women's soccer, but from what I do know, the U.S. team better win their gold medal game against Japan. No disrespect to the Japanese Women's team, but on paper, the U.S team is supposed to be far superior in terms of talent, they should literately run circles around this team, so to speak.

If they do go home with anything other than gold, well then I guess the apt comparison would be to the Minnesota Vikings of women's soccer would come into play, all that talent, and nothing to show for it, championship wise. {at least in recent years}

At least it can't be as bad as Lolo Jones however, she still can't seem to get to that medal podium at all, again.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 10:11 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: That gymnastics final was a fucking embarrassment. Instead of gracefully accepting defeat, the US girl had to bitch and moan her way to 3rd and knock out a girl from some dirt poor Eastern European shithole.

I don't know.

From what I saw, Ponor's performance had some moments where she almost fell. Raisman's flaw came from the landing where she hopped, leading to this and that.

In the end, the real blame goes to the judges since the scoring can be puzzling either way depending on how you look at it.

At least she won the gold on floor exercise without the inquiry although the judging issue can apply to that as well.

Also, Romania is poor but not dirt poor however (although South Park had a episode taking series of shots at it back in 2000).

At least they're not North Korea (beating a dead North Korean horse).

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 10:11 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: That gymnastics final was a fucking embarrassment. Instead of gracefully accepting defeat, the US girl had to bitch and moan her way to 3rd and knock out a girl from some dirt poor Eastern European shithole.

I get way too into this.

Well she was right so she deserved to not have her medal taken away. If the other girl wanted to win she should've been better.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 11:07 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

Well she was right so she deserved to not have her medal taken away. If the other girl wanted to win she should've been better.

To be fair, Ponor did came out of the retirement.

In her prime, she probably would have done better but it happens.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 8/7/12 10:27 PM, orangebomb wrote:

If they do go home with anything other than gold, well then I guess the apt comparison would be to the Minnesota Vikings of women's soccer would come into play, all that talent, and nothing to show for it, championship wise. {at least in recent years}

Except the team did at least won before unlike the Vikings, though still, I hope they beat Japan but it will be tough.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 12:45 AM Reply

I get way too into this.

All of what you said is completely wrong. She totally deserved the medal, the fucking judges had to be cunts and incorrectly score her routine. Her coach, herself, and even one the most prominent coaches in USA Gymnastics History stood up and knew that he should get an inquiry. And lo and behold, she got the score she deserved. You can't "bitch and moan" your way onto the podium, you have to earn it, and she did, the mere fact that the judges incorrectly scored her is the only reason for the mishap and Not in anyway her fault, nor does it make her any less worthy of the medal.

also, formal protesting ftw

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 12:45 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote:

I get way too into this.
All of what you said is completely wrong. She totally deserved the medal, the fucking judges had to be cunts and incorrectly score her routine.

This seems to happen pretty often this olympic games. First incident I remember: Britta Heidemann against Shin A Lam -> Protests all around. The tit-for-tat response followed a few days later, when the german men's fencing team didn't advance against Japan, despite scoring the winning point THREE TIMES, but THREE TIMES the score was reset to 40 each, until the Japanese fencer scored.
Then, Janine Berger (Gymnastics) only came in 4th, even though Maria Paseka stepped out of the line. But Paseka didn't got her score reduced. There's no formal protest possible for this.

Biggest mistake so far: Lili Schwarzkopf gets disqualified in the 800m race, for stepping on the line. Even though it was the runner RIGHT NEXT TO HER who stepped on the line. WTF? At least the disqualification was cancelled later.

Are the judges fucking blind, or what is going on here?

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 08:06 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 03:07 AM, Haggard wrote: Biggest mistake so far: Lili Schwarzkopf gets disqualified in the 800m race, for stepping on the line. Even though it was the runner RIGHT NEXT TO HER who stepped on the line. WTF? At least the disqualification was cancelled later.

Oh, I don't know, the farce surrounding Algerian middle distance runner Taoufik Makhloufi not getting withdrawn from the 800m in time by Algeria, then running in the heat and withdrawing part of the way through, before getting thrown out of the 1,500m, for "not using one's best efforts" in the race.

He was reinstated on appeal to the 1,500m and won gold, convincingly. Hell, if you're going to ban him and the badminton players for not using their best efforts, why not ban Usain Bolt 4 years ago, for easing off in the 100m final. Learn where to draw the damned line!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM Reply

At 8/6/12 08:41 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Glad the women soccer team beat the Canadian team,

Um yeah, sort of. The outcome of that game was pretty much decided by the ref.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 01:26 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 08:52 AM, Elfer wrote:
At 8/6/12 08:41 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Glad the women soccer team beat the Canadian team,
Um yeah, sort of. The outcome of that game was pretty much decided by the ref.

Don't feel too bad for the Canadians though, had it been anyone else...that would be awkward. As long it wasn't those three chance kind of thing like what happened in that one certain event that is.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 08:06 AM, Coop wrote: He was reinstated on appeal to the 1,500m and won gold, convincingly. Hell, if you're going to ban him and the badminton players for not using their best efforts, why not ban Usain Bolt 4 years ago, for easing off in the 100m final. Learn where to draw the damned line!

Yeah, the "not using your best effort" is a nice thought, but you shouldn't disqualify anyone because of it. If Bolt is so damn fast, then why shouldn't he kind of walk over the finish line? It may be disrespectful to the other athletes, but come on.

The badminton players, however... it's not only that they didn't "try their best", they just cheated.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 02:31 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 02:20 PM, Haggard wrote:

The badminton players, however... it's not only that they didn't "try their best", they just cheated.

Also, when both of the teams starts trying to throw the game, it gets weird. Trying to lose is one thing, but when both teams tries to give the game to one and the other, no way one can take it seriously.

Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 02:20 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/8/12 08:06 AM, Coop wrote: He was reinstated on appeal to the 1,500m and won gold, convincingly. Hell, if you're going to ban him and the badminton players for not using their best efforts, why not ban Usain Bolt 4 years ago, for easing off in the 100m final. Learn where to draw the damned line!
Yeah, the "not using your best effort" is a nice thought, but you shouldn't disqualify anyone because of it. If Bolt is so damn fast, then why shouldn't he kind of walk over the finish line? It may be disrespectful to the other athletes, but come on.

Right. The Algerian guy was reinstated after he got a Doctor to prove that he wasn't fit for the race he flunked on. There's a huge difference between the Badminton players and him in so much that they knew who they'd face in a one-on-one basis beforehand. That and the fact the referee of one the matches (didn't see them both) came out and warned them over their behaviour and they ignored him. They were fully fit and just gently tapping the shuttlecock at the net on serve - there's no way that you can compare the two. And as for Bolt, he'd already done enough to win the race.

Talking of unfair disqualification/relegation though, I really do feel for Victoria Pendleton. In the women's team sprint, I can understand them being disqualified, but in the first heat of the singles sprint final, that was a really horrible decision by the judges.

Anna Meares barged her off the left of the track, so to compensate she turned her wheel slightly to the right which put her out of the sprint lane (which she should have stuck in) temporarily. Given the other discretion the cycling judges gave some of the other competitors in the velodrome, I think that was unfair.

Granted, Meares did beat her fair and square in the second of the two heats, but the outcome might have been different if Pendleton hadn't been disqualified in the first heat. Oh well.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

Blimey. Risky move from Blake just there in the 200m semi. Just completely took his foot off the gas and almost got caught on the line. His time 20.01 - the two guys after him - 20.02 and 20.03 respectably.

Kind of wish he got done there. There is easing up when you've practically won but then there is showboating and Blake was showboating to the extreme with that one.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:58 PM Reply

Few minutes until the women's beach volleyball begins.

Will Misty May and Walsh three-peat or will there be the passing of the torch?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.

Have you ever played Badminton? Of course it's a sport.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 05:39 PM Reply

4 days left have to get 40 more medals.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.