New Topic Respond to this Topic
kRaZyAzN
kRaZyAzN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 07:40 PM, ZJ wrote: Anyone else see this neat app on the BBC's website that compares your body type (Height and weight) to Olympic athletes and tells you which one you're most like?

Apparently I'm comparable to Gemma Gibbons, the British Judo fighter who just won a silver medal. I don't know if that's insulting or not.

And apparently I'm comparable to Mo Farah, a British distance track runner, which is neat because I run distance myself

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

Founder of the Asian Users club
Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 06:37 PM, Ejit wrote:
Passion is one thing, doing what is asked of you is another. If she's going to talk about horse riding whilst she's supposed to be covering swimming then that's grounds for a legitimate complaint. The viewer had made a conscious decision to be watching the swimming coverage instead. In my case, and that of others, this was because of a profound disinterest in anything relating to horse 'sports' and an enthusiasm for swimming, so her effectively saying she wasn't interested was annoying. -Yes she was saying she wished she could be both places at once etc but it was obvious where she'd have rather been.

Personally I think you're just moaning for moaning sake, but maybe we just think differently on this one. While I was engrossed in the mens gymnastics final, I never got upset or annoyed when they went off topic a little and Matt Baker certainly enjoys doing that. I lost count of how many times he was trying to tell some story about a male gymnasts step-dad but he never even finished it, so I've still no idea why that story was meant to be so entertaining.

Clare Balding was just expressing her joy for a few minutes at best, about the equestrian team she knows well winning a silver medal in a sport she loves above all other (well maybe horse riding itself just first), all while there was no swimming even going on. I generally cannot see how that merits a 'legitimate complaint' for daring to talk about a medal GB won, while most of the British audience watching would literally be interested in knowing that too even if they didn't choose to watch that particular sport. But yes we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one I believe.

Just generally I think she's been very poor, though. The BBC's coverage as a whole has been disappointing in my opinion, as someone who's more interested in sport than nationalism. For example weightlifting has barely featured even on the interactive menu so I've had to use their online page, and it's never covered in any recaps or whatever. I could have watched the coverage on the main channels without knowing it even existed as a competition.

Well I've been watching through my computer mostly so having no issues really. But then I don't really have any interest in weightlifting as a 'sport' myself. To me its just "Yes, you can lift a lot of weight, well done".

At 8/2/12 07:40 PM, ZJ wrote: Anyone else see this neat app on the BBC's website that compares your body type (Height and weight) to Olympic athletes and tells you which one you're most like?

Apparently I'm comparable to Gemma Gibbons, the British Judo fighter who just won a silver medal. I don't know if that's insulting or not.

Not insulting! Shes a silver medalist and pretty hot.

As for me funnily enough I got a GB judo fighter too, only male.

So, me and you should like fight and I should pin you as I have the brute strength and then we'll make love.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:46 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 07:40 PM, ZJ wrote: Apparently I'm comparable to Gemma Gibbons, the British Judo fighter who just won a silver medal. I don't know if that's insulting or not.

Insulting to her for sure...

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:51 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 06:26 PM, Gagsy wrote: Clare Balding [...] spent her career with them, rides a lot, does the bbc presenting for Ascot and such

Wait, so you have a (ex-)professional rider presenting swimming? That's funny, because we have an ex professional swimmer presenting Equestrian, heh.

Also, thank god that today is the last day of swimming (except for the 10km marathon), I'm just sick of it and watched Phantom Commando yesterday instead of swimming. 17 events for men, 17 events for women. That's 34 swimming events, all of them (except for the 10km marathon) with preliminary rounds, semi finals, finals. Fucking YAWN!

Running has 13 events each (if you don't count the walking races), plus they have some variations, like steeplerace and hurdles.

Plus, I would be very grateful if Gymnastics wouldn't get as much coverage. I can chose between two TV Stations to watch the olympics, but both of them decide to show Gymnastics all the time. That's SO annoying!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:57 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 02:51 AM, Haggard wrote:
Wait, so you have a (ex-)professional rider presenting swimming? That's funny, because we have an ex professional swimmer presenting Equestrian, heh.

Haha. Funny that. For the BBC I assume it was a case of not wanting an idiot (no offense Jake Humphrey) presenting one of the biggest Olympic events so in steps Clare.

Also, thank god that today is the last day of swimming (except for the 10km marathon), I'm just sick of it and watched Phantom Commando yesterday instead of swimming. 17 events for men, 17 events for women. That's 34 swimming events, all of them (except for the 10km marathon) with preliminary rounds, semi finals, finals. Fucking YAWN!

Yeah I said the same thing myself. I've enjoyed a lot of it but I generally do think that there are too many events for swimming and I was done with it mentally by Wednesday.

Besides Phelps wins, the swims for me have been Chad le Clos winning the 200m butterfly and Yannick Agnel for both his Gold medal wins. That 4x100 metre freestyle was an amazing race. Thank god for Agnel. So exciting.

Hope tonight I'll be enjoying swimming more still with Rebecca Adlington going for Gold for us Brits again in the 800m freestyle.

Running has 13 events each (if you don't count the walking races), plus they have some variations, like steeplerace and hurdles.

Oh its going to be great and vastly different in all its greatness.

Plus, I would be very grateful if Gymnastics wouldn't get as much coverage. I can chose between two TV Stations to watch the olympics, but both of them decide to show Gymnastics all the time. That's SO annoying!

Well.. that I cannot agree to I'm afraid. =P

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:42 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:19 PM, liljim wrote:
Golds are 5pts, silver is 3pts, and bronze is worth 1pt.
Then China would still be at the top of the board.

I wasn't saying I would have a problem with that. But, if there is a ruckus over if it is gold or total metals which matters the most then a weighted system that meets in the middle would be a good compromise.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:11 AM Reply

Germany ditches rower over 'neo-Nazi lover'

Oh great. An athlete that shares my last name (never heard of her before, though. I don't think we are related). And she's in the news because she's in a relationship with a Neo-Nazi? FML!

At 8/3/12 04:57 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 8/3/12 02:51 AM, Haggard wrote: Plus, I would be very grateful if Gymnastics wouldn't get as much coverage. I can chose between two TV Stations to watch the olympics, but both of them decide to show Gymnastics all the time. That's SO annoying!
Well.. that I cannot agree to I'm afraid. =P

Well, there was one girl yesterday, that looked hot. But all the others don't. So... :(

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:21 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 06:11 AM, Haggard wrote: Germany ditches rower over 'neo-Nazi lover'

Oh great. An athlete that shares my last name (never heard of her before, though. I don't think we are related). And she's in the news because she's in a relationship with a Neo-Nazi? FML!

Well, she is fucked for life if this story picks up any more steam. Germany doesn't play around with that Nazi shit. The people there will bring hell down upon this girl.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:35 AM Reply

Woohoo!!!! Go Australia. Who am I trying to kid? Seriously folks, put a fork in Australia because were done. 1 lousy Gold Medal from the 410 athletes sent, boy that sure is money well spent. I have never seen a country get so many 4th, 5th and 6th place finishes. And so much for James "The Missile" Magnussen, our wonder boy swimmer. I guess no-one told him, he was a 'homing missile', you know, the type of missile that stays behind you. Geeeezzz Louise!!!!!!!

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

well more swimming rowing and trampoline starts today that should be worth watching.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:43 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 07:21 AM, Cootie wrote: Well, she is fucked for life if this story picks up any more steam. Germany doesn't play around with that Nazi shit. The people there will bring hell down upon this girl.

My mother was asked by some customers about this incident. Oh man...

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:46 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 10:43 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/3/12 07:21 AM, Cootie wrote: Well, she is fucked for life if this story picks up any more steam. Germany doesn't play around with that Nazi shit. The people there will bring hell down upon this girl.

HAHA. im sorry but thats kinda funny especially the last name for germans especially Drygalla.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:02 AM Reply

australia is doing good against russia in Womans water polo

xVip3r
xVip3r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:10 AM Reply

*host olympics at home doesnt win any gold medals*

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 10:46 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 8/3/12 10:43 AM, Haggard wrote:
HAHA. im sorry but thats kinda funny especially the last name for germans especially Drygalla.

It's pronounced "Dreegalla" with the 'a's sounding like the 'a' in "basket".
Anyway, now my mom gets calls from so called "journalists", asking if she's related. Good thing that I'm not listed in the telephone book.

So, I'm really sorry if I don't find this funny at all. But I can understand why you find it funny. If I was in your place, I probably would laugh, too.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:30 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 11:26 AM, Haggard wrote: So, I'm really sorry if I don't find this funny at all. But I can understand why you find it funny. If I was in your place, I probably would laugh, too.

harldy I would make it worse I would tell them as long as I stay as a anonymous source I would tell them everything, then just make shit up. like she is all far-right with heil hitler and everything. and the family disowned her.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:37 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 11:30 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 8/3/12 11:26 AM, Haggard wrote: So, I'm really sorry if I don't find this funny at all. But I can understand why you find it funny. If I was in your place, I probably would laugh, too.
harldy I would make it worse I would tell them as long as I stay as a anonymous source I would tell them everything, then just make shit up. like she is all far-right with heil hitler and everything. and the family disowned her.

This would only work out if you'd tell the next journalist the exact opposite. Now THAT would be funny.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:40 AM Reply

At 8/3/12 11:37 AM, Haggard wrote: This would only work out if you'd tell the next journalist the exact opposite. Now THAT would be funny.

then I tell the next journalist after that something completely different.

does that make me a bad person?

DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 06:11 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 8/2/12 05:12 PM, Cootie wrote: If we are going to measure Olympic performance by medals we might as well do it by points. Golds are 5pts, silver is 3pts, and bronze is worth 1pt.
I think that would just make the medal tally more competitive, which is the wrong approach. I would find it annoying to have commentators constantly wittering about how if the USA get at least a silver they'll go top etc. The Olympics should be primarily about individual achievements - otherwise you get people like Tony-Darkgrave, who doesn't even watch the competitions but rather sits there refreshing online medal tables using the achievements of his countrymen as an extension of his ego.

This approach also means you don't have to waste your time watching 'sports' like equestrian events just because someone from your country has a chance of winning.

This. People tend to forget that, although the Olympics is somewhat of a competition, it's more about your own personal performance against other nation's best. I enjoy watching the sports and America winning gold in something, but I moreso enjoy the determined look on the players' face as they are about to test their abilities against other countries opponents and the delighted look on the players' face when they win.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

That was a long tennis match. I didnt get to see womens weightlifting because of it.

Also watched the rapid fire shooting mens. this guy lost.

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

None

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:27 PM, Gagsy wrote: Can the BBC give Clare Balding and Ian Thrope each a gold medal for great presenting/commentating. They really work well together in that Aquatics Centre.

Yeah, also they need to give a gold medal to one of those gymnastics commentators for the sport of sounding exactly like Lane Price from Mad Men.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 7/31/12 08:18 AM, gamejunkie wrote:
Australia also has an amazing track record in Cycling and a great record in Rowing. And I wouldn't be so smug about dominating 1 Olympic event (cycling) once. Before that it was always Australia in the drivers seat. It's going to be between Australia and England for the major Cycling medals though. And both countries will shoot up the leaderboard.

Dragging this comment back up...

So far in track cycling...

Team sprint men- Gold
Team sprint women- possibly would have won gold without stupid disqualification. Silver had been guarenteed
Mens team pursuit- world record, gold medal race, minimum silver
Womens Keirin- Pendleton top qualifier

To come...

Womens team pursuit- double world champs
Mens keirin- Chris Hoy world champ, reigning Olympic champ, favourite
Mens sprint- Kenny favourite (along with French guy), Hoy would have been competition but only allowed to enter one person per nation (ridiculous rule which isn't true in most other sports). We won gold and silver last Olympics.
Women's sprint- Pendleton vs Mears

There is another event, I am assuming the Madison, which anyone could win, but of 8 events we have favourites in every single one. Pretty dominant if you ask me!

GB on track for a record medal haul so far, despite a slow start. The last few days have been awesome!

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Some guy named "Dong Dong" just won a gold medal for trampoline.

Thought that I should let you know.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:56 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 12:33 PM, Sentio wrote: Dragging this comment back up...

Knew you would sooner or later.

Pretty dominant if you ask me!

Did you miss my last post? I think you did. May you should go read that. Then this post will make more sense.

Go Aussie Go!

HAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOL. NO!
Also I'm British BTW! Born and bred in Colchester.
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 12:55 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Some guy named "Dong Dong" just won a gold medal for trampoline.

LMAO! I wonder if it translates to English as Richard Dick? Now that would be cool as fuck!

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:00 PM Reply

Velodrome - Just give all the medals to Team GB.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:12 PM Reply

god woman's handball and waterpolo how LAAAME.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:32 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 01:12 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: god woman's handball and waterpolo how LAAAME.

Mens team sabre finals is on

None

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:41 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 01:32 PM, Luis wrote:
At 8/3/12 01:12 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: god woman's handball and waterpolo how LAAAME.
Mens team sabre finals is on

italian pulled a hamstring and almost fell off the edge. fencing is dangerous he shouldnt have ran away.

None

gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 8/3/12 01:41 PM, Luis wrote: italian pulled a hamstring and almost fell off the edge. fencing is dangerous he shouldnt have ran away.

Come on now Luis. We all know it's what they do. Italians and their running away. LOL!